Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Shop Now STEM

Style: Base|Change

Showing 1-10 of 600 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 792 reviews
on March 29, 2012
I am not a professional. I am just a mom. 99% of the photos I take are of my children. Before purchasing this lens, I only had the kit lens and one prime lens. I wanted a lens that would allow me to zoom in a bit so that I could snap photos of my children playing without having to be right up on them. This is the perfect lens for that. I shot my son's first Little League game this past weekend while I was in the stands and he was in the outfield. I got some of the most excellent shots showing his true emotions, because he wasn't posing. he didn't see me right up on him taking photos. I can't afford a $1,000-2,000 lens so this was the perfect price and I have gotten tons of compliments on the shots. I even shot most of them on manual using the sports setting (I have a Canon Rebel). A lot of them were taken through a little hole in the fence.
on June 18, 2014
First off I'm going to say that I bought this lens used for $100. I read plenty of reviews and most of them talked about how the amount of sharpness gets really low when you get around 300mm. This is true. From my testing, 75-200mm seems to be the sweet spots for this lens. I shot a few pictures out in the woods at 75mm f/4 of my Dad and the bokeh was pretty awesome. I also shot some pictures of birds at 300mm and it's just very unsharp the second you crop. The only way I've found to get good bird shots is to be really close to them. This is very difficult unless you're at a popular park where the birds are fairly used to humans. Here is a picture I took at 300mm and is only very slightly cropped [...] I was only a few feet from this bird. As you can see it's a sharp image due to VERY minimal cropping. It is difficult to fill the frame with these little birds let alone get close to them. Here is another bird at the same exact place [...] This was shot at 155mm, it was at Clingman's Dome in Gatlinburg which is a very popular place which makes these birds fairly used to humans. I put down some nuts right next to myself and it walked right up and took them and that's how I got this picture.

Pros and Cons

Pros:
Takes great portraits at 75mm
Very inexpensive for what it is
Fairly well built for the price

Cons:
You lose almost all sharpness once you crop above 250mm
The zooming is not very smooth

Overall, who would I recommend this to?

I would recommend this to any beginner photographer who wants to take pictures of their family or friends that may also enjoying wildlife photography. This would also be a great lens for someone who doesn't really care much about photography but wants a nice zoom lens to sit on their porch and take pictures of wildlife from far away (birds, deer, etc)

TL;DR: Overall great value, absolutely worth the buy.
on February 10, 2014
If you are on a budget and on the consumer end of the prosumer spectrum, like me... and, like me, you still want a good, cheap zoom lens. This is it. (Save extra buying the bulk packaging version)
Now, if you are more on the pro end of the prosumer spectrum, you probably know to look for a lens with USM and IS.
If you buy this lens, be aware that you'll have to use your tripod in low light situations... there's no IS on this lens.
It's a lens best used outside with plenty of day light, hey... it's an f/4-5.6, so no surprise there.
Good glass though, I've achieved better pictures with this lens than the with the 35-80 which is also f/4-5.6
on November 1, 2011
I'm relatively new to DSLR photography, and this is my first non-kit lens (though I have tired other lenses in the store, I don't think that really counts).

So far, I'm very pleased with this lens. The zoom is very satisfying...buildings a mile away become a useable size. I'll just break it down into pros and cons.

PRO- Smooth focus and zoom irises.
PRO- Good image quality for most of the lens' range.
PRO- Affordable
PRO- Provides great zoom ability (75-300), "completes" the kit lens (18-55).

CON- Autofocus is kinda slow
CON- F-stop requires a lot of light when zoomed in around 300mm. This would be true of any lens, though.
CON- Images might not be that clean when zoomed in around 300mm. This could be due to the increased gain or shutter speed, but in general I found I had to work a lot harder to get a crisp, sharp image when I zoomed in at 300mm (again, could be true of any lens, but this is the only one I know).

Ultimately, I'm really glad I got it. I'm guessing other lenses are better because they cost more, but I can't comment on those.
on October 13, 2013
I am so happy just to finally have a telephoto lens for my 5D but this lens/price makes me even happier!
Not only was there Amazon fulfillment, but FREE SHIPPING (heck yeah!) and a $200 lens for $100 less (with a 90-day warranty)?! You seriously can't beat it.
I've read plenty of complaints about the fact that this lens is non-IS but I haven't had any issues with picture clarity OR quality. As long as you have good lighting, you don't need the IS as much anyways.
I was a little weary about buying a refurbished lens at first, but when it finally arrived I was so surprised to find a lens that looked and functions the same as a brand new one. The 90 day warranty is a great safety net, too. A lot can happen in 90 days, so I feel secure in my purchase.
I tested it out in the mountains and I was just blown away by the color quality and the amazing clarity of the mountains in the distance.
I just can't get enough of this lens. It's by far my favorite lens in my bag!
on September 13, 2013
I bought this for about $100 so i couldnt be any happier with the price! everything turned out well it even came a day early!!! I was super happy to use it and it met my expectations!

The only thing, however, is that the lens itself is super smooth so if i hold it down the lens slides on its own. may be its own weight doing it but oh well.
Also you have to use it with a set frame because capturing moving objects can be tricky
on March 20, 2017
Good for the price. The image quality is good, but the auto focus sometime doesn't work. Have to take out and reattach and maybe turn off power and on. It then maybe work.
on April 7, 2014
This is a cheap lens and it does a good job for the price. The autofocus is noisy and when zoomed in really far it shakes the lens quite a bit. Because the aperture only opens to 4.0/f you need really good light or you'll get a lot of noise in your photos. Honestly, though, I like this lens a lot. I use it to take photos of the moon and it is fantastic.
on August 9, 2016
It's a factory Canon lens, so you can expect it to work well!
on May 22, 2014
I dont pretend to be a professional photographer. I enjoy photography as a hobby, taking pictures for family events, sports, proms, vacations, or just random photography adventures. I bought this lens and cant be happier with what I got. It came literally within 12 hours (i paid $4 for one day shipping), and for the price it works great. If you're new to photography or just enjoy it as a simple hobby then this is a great lens for you. If your a pro, then obviously you're going to want to spend more money and get a better lens. but for the price, and my intended uses of this lens, i couldn't be happier.