Spring Deals Automotive Amazon First Reads New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on May 2, 2011
I purchased the BU-30 for use with my Canon PIXMA iP100 portable printer to print from my MacBook Pro laptop. The instructions in the box say to refer to the instructions with the printer. The instructions with the printer then say to refer to instructions installed somewhere on the computer, which I could not find, so I assumed the latest iP100 drivers that I downloaded and installed didn't place the manual on my hard drive. So working without instructions I figured out how to get the BU-30 working as follows:

[EDIT April 20, 2012 - Works with OS X Lion]

[EDIT Dec. 6, 2012 - Also works with OS X Mountain Lion]

[EDIT Jan. 30, 2013 - Several individuals have asked if the BU-30 works with an iPhone or iPad. The answer is it will work with Apple mobile devices only if the printer supports Apple's AirPrint protocol. Check with your printer manufacturer or the specifications in the printer's documentation to verify if it supports AirPrint. If the printer doesn't support AirPrint, the BU-30 will be of no use to you.]

[Edit Oct. 20, 2014 - works fine with OS X Mavericks - still going strong. I haven't upgraded to Yosemite as I usually wait for initial releases to go through several updates to sort out the defects. When I upgrade to Yosemite, I'll post another update.]

[Edit Mar. 22, 2015 - works fine with OS X Yosemite.]

1. Download the latest drivers for your printer from the Canon USA web site and install the package first.
2. Make sure the BU-30 is inserted into the the printer's USB port and the printer is turned on.
3. Open up System Preferences and select Bluetooth. Make sure bluetooth is enabled on your Mac.
4. On the bottom of the left panel, click on the "+" button to "Setup new device".
5. Wait for the Setup Bluetooth Assistant to find your printer. If it doesn't find the printer check that the printer is within 15-20 feet of your Mac and try again.
6. Pair with the printer. You'll see a message to enter "0000" that will disappear quickly. You won't need to enter anything.
7. You'll now be redirected to the Print and Fax panel. You won't see the printer listed (you have to manually add it).
8. At the bottom of the left panel in the Print and Fax dialog box, click on the "+" button to add a new printer. The Add Printer dialog box will be displayed.
9. At the top of the Add Printer dialog box, click on the "Default" printer icon.
10. You will see your printer in the printer list. In my case my printer is listed as "Canon iP100 series(D5:14:29)"
11. Select your printer then click on the "Add" button.
12. You're done. You should now be able to print to your printer via bluetooth.

The BU-30 works quite well but I gave it only 4 stars because there are no instructions on how to install the adapter in the box. At the least, they could have offered a web address to find the instructions instead of sending you on a wild goose chase.

I hope the above helps other Mac owners.
2828 comments| 151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 27, 2017
Something that Canon should have built into their printer instead of selling it separately. Once installed, it works without hassle. Pairs nicely with our laptop, which means no more need for a hard wired cord between printer and the laptop. I can't vouch for the range of the Bluetooth link because we have the printer setting on the same desk with the computer.
on April 28, 2017
turns printer into bluetooth - makes my life so much easier - also purchased a small flash drive case to hold it in computer bag
on July 7, 2017
Item didn't work
on June 4, 2008
I am very pleased with the bluetooth adapter BU-30 for my Canon MX850 All-in-One printer. It prints quickly and there doesn't seem to be any delay at all compared to having the printer plugged into my laptop. The only drawback,which is that of technology itself, is that you can only use the print function of the all-in-one. If you want to scan anything, it has to be plugged directly into the pc, which to me is fine since you have to be next to the scanner anyways to place the scanned item onto the scanner.

I originally purchased the bluetooth adapter because my office was my kitchen table while my two children, 4 years and 2 years old, ran the household. Whenever I needed to print anything I had to take my laptop to the printer to print, which was very inconvenient. I bought the adapter and now I can be anywhere in my house and print without any delay. I have since reclaimed my office space but still use the bluetooth adapter. It works well with my husbands laptop also and has defenitely made it easier to share workspace with him if he has to be on his pc too. Before the adapter, I would have to move my computer so that he could attach to the printer. Now, he can stay sitting at his own desk without bothering my work.

Two thumbs up for me!!
22 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 27, 2009
This adapter is a must have. From my use, the printer prints just as fast via bluetooth as it does when I use the USB cable. The only drawback, Canon should have included this feature in the IP100. But that is a drawback on the printer itself. The adapter works and delivers better than I expected.
on January 12, 2017
Bought to make my portable printer (a fabulous machine, BTW) work bluetooth. Came with no instructions. Went online. Their instructions didn't work. Got a computer guy to come to the house.. He couldn't make it work. Thought I'd returned it but I hadn't. Ordered another. No instructions. Went online. Callled. No help. Computer guy coudn't do it. Still doesn't work.
on December 26, 2008
My actual rating is 4 and a 1/2 stars. I've only had the adaptor a couple of weeks but I absolutely love it. I'm in wireless heaven! It works great. My only complaint is Canon not providing any instructions on how to install it. If this were an obvious install - plug it in and viola, it works, that would be one thing. But it's not. There are a number of steps involving the printer and your computer that must be completed before you can print wirelessly, which I finally found on Canon's website. I didn't find any instructions on installing it in the Canon printer guide. I'm all for saving the environment but including installation instructions or the link to the Canon website for the installation instructions on the 1 or 2 useless pieces of paper included with the device wouldn't hurt.
on May 2, 2015
This device works very well for me. I use a generic Bluetooth adapter on my old tower PC and it linked to the canon adapter on one try and printing and scanning both work great. My only complaint, and it is a big complaint, is this thing is way too expensive. My generic adapter was about $7. WTF Canon, you could have had 5 stars...
on May 1, 2012
For some reason my Mac wouldn't print through the wifi to my Canon MX410 even though my PC did. I bought this bluetooth as a last resort and it works. I print through my PC and Mac with the bluetooth.

I'm a bit Mac illiterate so I needed to call Canon tech support to help me get the connection started. The tech support guy explained to me that with bluetooth it will take a little longer to print versus if I used wifi or a wired connection. And he's right it does take longer but it's not much. A couple of minutes from the time you click print till the time it's done printing depending on how big the file is.