Top positive review
151 people found this helpful
Works great but comes with no instructions
on May 2, 2011
I purchased the BU-30 for use with my Canon PIXMA iP100 portable printer to print from my MacBook Pro laptop. The instructions in the box say to refer to the instructions with the printer. The instructions with the printer then say to refer to instructions installed somewhere on the computer, which I could not find, so I assumed the latest iP100 drivers that I downloaded and installed didn't place the manual on my hard drive. So working without instructions I figured out how to get the BU-30 working as follows:
[EDIT April 20, 2012 - Works with OS X Lion]
[EDIT Dec. 6, 2012 - Also works with OS X Mountain Lion]
[EDIT Jan. 30, 2013 - Several individuals have asked if the BU-30 works with an iPhone or iPad. The answer is it will work with Apple mobile devices only if the printer supports Apple's AirPrint protocol. Check with your printer manufacturer or the specifications in the printer's documentation to verify if it supports AirPrint. If the printer doesn't support AirPrint, the BU-30 will be of no use to you.]
[Edit Oct. 20, 2014 - works fine with OS X Mavericks - still going strong. I haven't upgraded to Yosemite as I usually wait for initial releases to go through several updates to sort out the defects. When I upgrade to Yosemite, I'll post another update.]
[Edit Mar. 22, 2015 - works fine with OS X Yosemite.]
1. Download the latest drivers for your printer from the Canon USA web site and install the package first.
2. Make sure the BU-30 is inserted into the the printer's USB port and the printer is turned on.
3. Open up System Preferences and select Bluetooth. Make sure bluetooth is enabled on your Mac.
4. On the bottom of the left panel, click on the "+" button to "Setup new device".
5. Wait for the Setup Bluetooth Assistant to find your printer. If it doesn't find the printer check that the printer is within 15-20 feet of your Mac and try again.
6. Pair with the printer. You'll see a message to enter "0000" that will disappear quickly. You won't need to enter anything.
7. You'll now be redirected to the Print and Fax panel. You won't see the printer listed (you have to manually add it).
8. At the bottom of the left panel in the Print and Fax dialog box, click on the "+" button to add a new printer. The Add Printer dialog box will be displayed.
9. At the top of the Add Printer dialog box, click on the "Default" printer icon.
10. You will see your printer in the printer list. In my case my printer is listed as "Canon iP100 series(D5:14:29)"
11. Select your printer then click on the "Add" button.
12. You're done. You should now be able to print to your printer via bluetooth.
The BU-30 works quite well but I gave it only 4 stars because there are no instructions on how to install the adapter in the box. At the least, they could have offered a web address to find the instructions instead of sending you on a wild goose chase.
I hope the above helps other Mac owners.