Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Canon Battery Grip BG-E13

on July 5, 2014
Fits perfect, as you'd expect from Canon FOR Canon. I had bad luck with an off-brand on the 6D before I got this.... I decided to bite the bullet and get the Canon, even though I feel it's over-priced (hence the 1-star-off). But, it definitely matches, and feels right.

Here's something to note, which is different from the grip I had on a previous Canon DLSR: this one uses each battery individually, running one down before going to the next. At first, I thought I might have a battery that couldn't hold a charge, because when I'd re-charge, I'd find one battery was very drained, and the other not at all drained. After some testing, I found it will use the 'outer' battery bay, then move to the 'inner' bay. (Which is fine - just good to know there's not a problem with my batteries.)
on January 7, 2014
1) The aftermarket grips drain the batteries if you leave them in the "on" position.
2) Weather sealing is compromised unless you use the canon official, really want to risk your body with a drop of rain while shooting in portrait?
3) The canon matches the 6D to a T, it's absolutely the best fit, better than the 70D grip fit, and better than the 5D II grip fit IMO.

Spend the extra money and be happy in the long run of things. While the cost is greater, the benefits are also much greater, including resell value down the line hangs on much more than aftermarket grips for when you decide to upgrade. If you are reading this review, I do not need to inform you why you may need a grip, you already know this. What you need to understand is why spend twice the price (3 times the price at the time of writing this vs the vello). It is worth it. You will not regret it.
on January 22, 2014
I'm a professional photographer and when my old 5D Mark II I had a couple of cheaper grips, but they didn't last or resisted my heavy use, until I bought the Canon grip. With my new 6D, I went directly to the Canon Grip and I'm very happy.

The only thing I would change on the design, but it's not very important to reduce a star in my rating is the battery cassette. I'd like a back door where you have direct access to the batteries, instead of remove the cassette from the side and then replace the batteries.
As I said is not important, becasue I never change batteries in the middle of my weddings or events. Sometimes I shot over 2000 shots and still have enough juice to keep shooting.
on June 8, 2015
If you're thinking of getting a grip for your 6D, and you aren't sure if you should drop the extra 140 bucks on the legit Canon versus the knock-offs... well let me tell you - save up if you have to and get the real deal. All of the other knock-offs you'll find just don't fit right, or feel right, or they won't work 100% the time (it will fail at the worst time... every time). This one however, is flawless.

Like most official Canon products the build quality is excellent. I actually ran a shuffleboard puck into my camera (long story). It was a direct hit on the grip and there wasn't a mark on it - no issues - works flawless to this day. I've used it in dew, at 18,000 feet, in 10 degree weather, you name it - I'll say it again, it's solid.

Basically, if you're thinking of getting a grip here's what you should consider:

1. Do you take at least some portrait shots? Do you like taking them at all?
2. Are you ever away from a the ability to charge batteries for extended periods of time? (camping, hiking, boating, etc...) Or do you just want longer shooting sessions without battery swaps?
3. Are you ok with nearly doubling the weight of the camera body? (to be honest, it's never once been an issue for me)

If you can answer yes to those questions then it's a no-brainer - get this grip.
on March 1, 2013
Like all Canon grips, this one fits flawlessly and balances the camera well. My only nitpick, and it's very minor, is that the batteries go into a tray which then slides into the grip. The grip for my 7D allows you to open the door on the front and pop in one or two batteries. Much quicker. But again, this is a minor thing as I don't have to change batteries very often.
44 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2015
One of the reasons I bought the 6D was to get a full frame sensor in a relatively light body. However, I found that the small body did not fit my hand as well as it could have. Tried the battery grip. Love it. Will never take it off. It adds weight and bulk, but that's offset by how much better the camera fits my hand, and the improved balance with some of Canon's relatively large lenses -- I keep the 24-70 f2.8 ii on this body almost all the time. So, while the whole idea of a battery grip seems to defeat the purpose of buying the 6D in the first place, I've found that it improves the handling of the camera to such an extent that I keep it on the camera all the time. Someone with smaller hands might not have my experience, but I'm sold.
on March 17, 2017
Yoooo, I just received my battery grip and I'm mad excited!!!! I've already connected it to my 6D and everything works perfectly fresh out the box. I started to buy one of the other more cost effective (cheap) grips off of here and I'm so glad I went ahead and got the official Canon brand grip. If I was you I'd do the same!! Super solid structure, great feel, money VERY WELL spent!! For some reason it won't let me add a pic to this review tho. Peace
on May 22, 2017
If you need a grip this is the only one to get. If you have a 6D you are likely a pro and you shouldn't risk missing a shot due to using cheap aftermarket accessories.
Don't cheap out. There is a definite quality difference between this genuine Canon accessory and the cheap knockoffs.

This grip makes handling the camera much easier especially if you do a lot of portrait shots or use a larger lens. It can also be nice to have double the battery capacity.
on July 29, 2016
This grip has a professional feel to it. The rubberized texture is non-slip and makes it easy to hold. I thought about getting a 3rd party grip for my T2i, but for my 6D I never entertained the thought and will never regret the extra money I spent on the Canon grip - that extra money was spent for its quality and my peace of mind that my $1200 camera would not be ruined by a $40 faulty grip (I know it's a small percentage of faulty grips, but the risk of repairing or replacing an expensive camera ruins my peace of mind). When I do photo shoots the extra battery capacity comes in handy.

BTW, I bought this one "Used - Very Good" for $130 from a seller/owner with excellent reviews, and it came in almost perfect condition. Do your research if you want to save some money...
on January 8, 2016
This Canon Battery Grip fit perfectly on my Canon 6D. I had the version for the Canon 60D and it has always worked perfectly. It will add significant bulk to your camera; if portability is important for you just carry another battery or two in your camera bag. I shoot THOUSANDS of pictures with this thing on before needing to recharge - I love it. The grip has a shutter release button (button used to take picture) to allow you to easily switch between landscape and portrait mode with ease. It came with an insert to use either two canon batteries or AA batteries. Although I don't use AA batteries it is nice to have the option. If you are in the market for a battery pack, I highly suggest going with the authentic canon product. You spent too much money on your camera for you to take any risk of malfunction due to a low quality battery system.