Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
asked by Kyle Rowe on March 23, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 answers
A
Technology Guy answered on March 23, 2009
Comment | 32 of 33 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
True enough but the 35mm f2 is getting pretty hard to find and the 50mm f1.8 is a real bargain for the image quality at only $80.
Technology Guy answered on March 27, 2009
Comment | 9 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
One thing I would add is that for most DSLRs, 50mm might not be the best first-pick lens.

One of the reasons the 50mm was the standard lens for so long is because on regular film (or a full-frame digital sensor) it is thought to best mimic the perspective you get from the naked eye. If you don't have a full frame sensor (most DSLRs don't), you're better off going with the 35mm f/2, as that lens comes closest on an APS-C camera to the focal length that the 50mm gives you on film.
Charles Miller answered on March 27, 2009
Comment | 11 of 12 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Tom Martin answered on November 3, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I took some very nice shots with this at night on a fairly bright street (Chinatown in Yokohama), but you may have problems focusing if it is too dark. Just because you can see the subject doesn't mean the AF can find it. Then again, that isn't very surprising.
Amazon Customer answered on April 7, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I agree with Tom's advice though you may be able to get away with something like the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS if you're not trying to capture fast action and the stage lighting is fairly bright.

For camera settings, I'd use AV or TV mode. In TV mode, set your shutter speed to 1/100 sec or faster to avoid camera shake blurring if you're shooting handheld. You may need to adjust the ISO depending on the stage lighting. In AV mode, adjust your aperture to achieve this shutter speed or faster.
Technology Guy answered on November 3, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Awesome, thanks for taking the time to read and the help!
Kyle Rowe answered on March 27, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'm thinking of getting this lens to take pictures of a performance in a theatre, so low light and no flash. I have a canon rebel xsi and need to know if this will help and what kind of settings I should use. Don't know much about photography...I always use the auto sesttings which generally work great but I want to capture the great moments of my little dancer. Thanks
F. Dudek answered on November 3, 2009

A
I'm thinking of getting this lens to take pictures of a performance in a theatre, so low light and no flash. I have a canon rebel xsi and need to know if this will help and what kind of settings I should use. Don't know much about photography...I always use the auto sesttings which generally work great but I want to capture the great moments of my little dancer. Thanks

A
Thank you very much for the info. Should I go with the automatic setting or something else?
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product