Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 30, 2005
my newly repaired (at a cost of half new cost) has died once again.

customer service is a joke. i would NOT rec. this or any other product by canon. as a side note, i have a canon digital camera that showed a strange error message. canon estimated the repair to cost quite a bit, but after searching online i found you only had to hit the case to fix the shutter problem. canon never informed me of this............
on June 2, 2003
I have had the camera for three weeks and it was the best tool to take on vacation with the family. Its small size makes it easy to fit in a small pack. It takes great outdoor pictures and works well indoor. The auto focus does not work well on all indoor settings. It can be resolved by using the low light or spotlight manual settings.
on November 24, 2004
I bought this just a little over 1 year (after the warrany expires). Then it started REMOVE CASSETTE ERROR and after that the cassette is useless,because anything I film on it comes out distorted. So what's good about the greate features if it is no longer usable for just a year?
on June 7, 2005
Please be advised that Canon U.S.A., Inc. has posted information on the web regarding the Elura 40MC and Elura 50 camcorders. This information relates to the "Remove the Cassette" message being displayed on the camcorder's LCD screen.

This information can be accessed by visiting Canon's on-line support at the following URL:
[...]

[...]
on April 7, 2004
I would seriously rethink purchasing this camera, or any from Canon. There is a huge tape transfer problem with Canon Digital Camcorders. Bottom line is that a growing number of them have stopped working after only 7-10 hours of recording - usually just after the warrany expires. There are many theories as to why, but nothing has been resolved. Canon has not been helpful. (...)
on January 4, 2004
As the previous reviewer mentioned, I really glad I bought this camera because so far I really satisfied with this camcorder.
All the problems with Elura 40MC,low light quality and motor noise, I did not find it in this model.
My wife taking a lot of taping for my 6 months baby activity :)
on March 5, 2004
This camcorder is great! It met all of my expectations that I had when I was in the market to buy one. The picture quality is very good but I mostly have been using it for video, and that, my friend, is perfect! So all in all I really do like this camcorder and it is highly recomended.
on February 15, 2005
Just after the warranty expired the CCD electronics failed on my camera redering it useless. Given all the other complaints on Amazon re: this model of camera I would advise against buying it as it appears to be unreliable.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 4, 2007
I too experienced the "eject tape" error. Canon has repaired the camcorder 3 times at no cost, but of course it was being repaired over all the holidays. Do yourself a favor and buy something else.
on May 27, 2003
I almost bought this camera as a gift. It LOOKS great, but LOOKS really can be deceiving! The picture quality is TERRIBLE! It is incredibly grainy video. The picture has speckles all over it. I'm thankful I didn't waste the money. I was able to see the picture on a monitor in 3-different stores. Then I asked to see some other cameras in the same price range using the SAME monitor -- what a difference. The Sony DcrTRV-33 and even the DcrTRV-22 had beautiful pictures. Even the Panasonic in its class looked much better. My advice... take a look at the Sony, and ask to see the picture on a monitor, if the store doesn't have one, go to another store that does. Otherwise, prepare to kick yourself because you won't like what you see when you get it home. Good Luck all--

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question