Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Dot Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 5, 2012
I've been weighing the mirrorless option heavy and finally made the plunge to keep it in the Canon family. I Received this camera and have been playing with it and enjoying it for it's purpose. Let me state this, I own a Canon 5D Mark III as well, so I can only speak on my intentions and reasoning for wanting the Eos-M. I had no intentions of buying this camera as a back up body, nor would this be the camera I would recommend for others who are in the market for one. However, image quality wise, it could be. If you've made the Canon investment in gear, and could use something a little more light weight, sort of pocket friendly, and portable that has the capability to be used with your other canon gear.. It's a no brainer. This camera to me is the Hobbyist/enthusiast Canon gear owners good, to best friend.

The Good: I love the image quality, size, and build quality of the camera and even the 22mm itself is a much better build then expected. It doesn't feel cheap. The touchscreen is pretty good and responsive, if you don't mind a few prints on the screen trying to assist the focusing. Also I love the relief of not carrying my battery gripped 5D around with me for all of the smallest things, and missing something worth capturing because of it. This camera has been a blast, and I've worn it around my neck on several occasions and even the people with me haven't noticed.

The Bad: Slow maneuvering around the menus, as there are limited physical buttons and no turn dial (But this may get faster as you get use to the touchscreen). No built in flash (When this camera is said to target those coming from point and shoot cameras), No view finder (But after a couple of shots.. I wasn't missing it), And no direct lens mount Ef-s or EF (and mainly this is because of the outrageous price for the adapter). But all of this is tolerable... Sort of. I wont complain about the auto focus speed as to me, it's really not that bad. I have seen faster, and even faster focus speeds on this camera alone. But then again, I use a 85mm 1.2L quite a bit on my Mark III and that lens can almost make any focus speed seem fast.

I did purchased the 16GB Eye-Fi card and use it to transfer images straight to my cellphone for quick editing if needed, and uploading to any social network services I use. I have no idea why it did not cross someones mind at Canon, to include wifi and/or Gps, when I've have heard time and time again about one of the excuses for not having a built in EVF was that this camera should attract those who are familiar with taking cellphone images.

In the end, a built in Viewfinder, wifi, gps, flash and a cheaper if not free lens adapter would have been nice. But even so, I am happy with my purchase, and I've read enough to understand its purpose or my reasoning for wanting one, and have actually been more impressed then what I've originally expected. I do not think anyone would be in their right mind to purchase this camera for sports photography, and if you've taking pictures with almost any modern smart phone today, the focus speed may never be a issue to you. If you already own or are familiar with a Canon DSLR, this camera will feel right at home with the options and setup. And if this is a new world to you, you might want to read the manual, or watch a video to get yourself familiar first. Great buy for me!!!

**UPDATE** 7-3-13

I Still love this camera just as much as the day I got it, and has been a very solid performer overall. The biggest gripe about the camera from others was the auto focus speed in which has recently been corrected via v2.0.. And for me was the sun glare on the screen was a slight disadvantage while using the camera outside, (which could be fixed if the camera had a view finder), but I just added a non glare screen protector, and raised my LCD brightness to fix and works great for me.

From my personal experiences that I've had since owning this camera, the slight auto focus problem has not made me feel any less different about it, as it was not that bad.The consistent color contrast, color balance and image quality has never been better, and have shocked me on many occasions. This camera is a very capable and solid performer for what my intentions were, and quite a few people have purchased it after seeing a few uses, and images i've taken with it. Now with the update, there is no denying how good and fun this little camera is, and have definitely increased my personal uses and longevity with this camera.

Thanks Canon, the overall build, and image quality is nothing short of awesome. I can't wait to see how they will out do themselves with the next Eos-M camera.
4444 comments| 322 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2013
I am writing this review from the perspective of an enthusiast who was looking to upgrade from point-and-shoot cameras (Canon G-Series for serious shots and a Canon ELPH for pocketable convenience) to something with a larger sensor and better lenses. I started my research pretty convinced about upgrading to a DSLR (preferably a 60D); however, I ultimately decided on the EOS M for a couple reasons:

1) The majority of my photos are taken while hiking/backpacking. I just couldn't reconcile the fact that I would have to lug around such a heavy and large camera in my backpack just so I could take better quality photos.

2) All the negativity around the EOS M not physically performing on par with DSLRs seemed to really knock down its price to the point where it is now (August 2013) a steal at almost $300 less than the Canon EOS Rebel T3i (with 18-55mm lens) and around $500 less than the 60D.

With that said, you now know the perspective from which I am approaching this review, so here are my opinion of its positives and negatives after about 200 test shots in various conditions:

POSITIVES +
-----------------
1) Image quality is far superior to my existing point-and-shoots. That's enough to make me happy.

2) The lens and body feel solid and are constructed of mostly metal. The kit lenses with the Rebels feel much more cheaply constructed (plasticy) than the EF-M 18-55mm included with the EOS M.

3) The touchscreen is nice. Using the touchscreen seems quicker than navigating the menus using the buttons/dial--probably because you're able to jump to things without having to press directional buttons/dial until you arrive at an item to select.

4) EXCELLENT IMAGE QUALITY--it's worth repeating this one because it's all that really matters.

==============================================

NEGATIVES -
------------------
1) The battery life is very bad. I couldn't believe how quickly I was able to drain the battery. Of course, the battery drained quicker than usual this time because I have spent so much time navigating through the menus and testing things, but it still was very disappointing despite going into this purchase knowing that short battery life was an issue.

2) I feel that the camera is awkward to hold when affixed with the 18-55mm lens. (I have not tried the 22mm lens.) I feel like I could drop it very easily unless I have my left hand underneath the lens to support the weight. It feels a bit front-heavy. And with so much touchscreen interaction necessary, sometimes there's no choice but to use that left hand for some of it.

3) The lack of physical buttons is a bit annoying. Things are easy enough to handle through the LCD screen, but I like to be able to change some settings very quickly--sometimes without even having to look back at the LCD screen. Physical buttons are really the only way to be able to accomplish that with an acceptable degree of success. I prefer to have options such as the main shooting modes (P, Tv, Av, etc.) and metering method (spot, center-weighted, evaluative, etc.) accessible by physical buttons/dials.

4) The different-style strap connection seems like a good idea, except the tiny piece that locks the strap to the camera is made of plastic! I'm sure it'll work fine, but it does not inspire confidence. I find myself keeping one hand on the camera at all times, just in case.

======================================

A few other comments...

*The autofocus speed and accuracy is fine from my perspective. It's at least as fast as the point-and-shoot cameras I am upgrading from. (My EOS M did come installed with the 2.0.2 firmware.)

*I would have loved the experience of using a proper pentaprism optical viewfinder like the one on the Canon EOS 60D, but I've spent the last decade or so using LCD screens exclusively, so I'm not put-off by the lack of a viewfinder.

*I love Canon's articulating LCD screens. The fact that this camera did not have one was almost a deal-breaker for me. I like to take a lot of shots from a lower-than-eye-level perspective. I guess I'll have to actually kneel down now. Boo.

*It would have been to nice to have even a terrible built-in flash. I don't use a flash often because I normally shoot landscapes, but every now and then I'm photographing a nice sunset with maybe some flowers or other foliage in the foreground that could use a splash of light to make the shot special. Maybe I'll see if I can pick up a used flash to attach someday.

*Why doesn't Canon put intervalometer software on their cameras for use in time-lapse photography? It seems like such a simple application to include (and, in fact, can be added to some non-EOS Canons via freely available hack software)

In summary, there are certainly some annoying quirks related to the functionality of this camera, but the important things are the lens and the sensor, and, therefore, the image quality. It's a small, lightweight (and, now, relatively inexpensive) way to significantly bump up your image quality without having to lug around a camera that, quite frankly, wouldn't even really fit inside my day-hike backpack. I think the Canon EOS M is a (nearly) perfect option for the enthusiast looking to upgrade from a small sensor point-and-shoot who values compactness over DSLR-level physical performance .
on August 24, 2013
I shoot with Canon DSLRs but they are too big for me to keep on my person at all times. I really like this camera and own both EF-M lenses. This camera fitted with the 22mm pancake fits in my day bag quite easily along with extra batteries. The best camera is the camera you have with you. I am glad I don't have to default to my iphone5 whenever I am out and about and I am inspired to shoot some photos. The EOS M does great indoors with low light if you have the pancake lens and raise your ISO to about 1600. I shoot with this camera in single point (non continuous AF) mode and with firmware 2.0.2, I have no complaints with the AF. The image quality for both photos and videos is quite impressive. The icing on the cake for me with this camera is that it has an external mic input. This is a must have if you are going to shoot video with your camera. IF you shoot Canon and want what is basically at T4i in package not much bigger than an Altoids tin, do yourself a favor and buy this camera along with the EF/EF-S lens adapter. Even if you don't shoot Canon but you want to shoot photos and video, you can't go wrong at the new low price for the EOS M package. Be sure to check out the customer submitted images as well as Flickr for more EOS M photography.
review imagereview image
on August 11, 2013
Updated: October 2nd, 2013

Adventures with the Canon EOS M continued... a field trip and more studio familiarization.

The 'bottom line up front': Canon's EOS M is a new SLR form factor camera with excellent value at recent discounts to MSRP. EOS M provides powerful capabilities (taken from Rebel T4i and 7D product lines) in a small, mirror-less "SLR" camera body, one that practically fits into the palm of your hand. It does so with simplicity, price, and performance. If you are an advanced Canon user, EOS M will be familiar. It gives you 18M pixel sensor, a fast on board processor, and a decent-sized, richly detailed rear display. All of this combines to quite a lot to be able to take almost anywhere (especially when it'd be inconvenient to take along anything larger and heavier).

What's all the fuss about? Basically, size. This is the smallest SLR I have ever worked with. What is most impressive about it? Size. Once I became accustomed to it's basic differences (viewing "through" the rear display instead of a viewfinder, using the rear display as a touch screen to access the familiar Canon menus to control exposure settings and modes) I began to appreciate it much more. What you will have in your hands is a very sophisticated and powerful SLR.

What are the drawbacks? A few. Essentially, experienced Canon SLR users will have to adapt themselves to the new form factor. That doesn't take much effort. It does not have the most powerful autofocus system, but it is adequate. Viewing "through" the rear display takes some time to get comfortable with. The 'soft controls' were easy enough to master. Oh, and it does not have a built-in flash. This last was noticed by me, but my XT didn't have one either. And during my field trip, I didn't miss it. I could have used a speed-lite, but chose not to bring one along. EOS M was able to handle most everything I did, indoors and out, without one.

On the plus side... EOS is great for video! I did my best in the early SLR video days to avoid it, but EOS is probably going to be the turning point for many on SLR video. It takes great HD video as it does great stills.

My latest impressions were gained over the course of several separate studio sessions and a four day field trip for urban hiking and architectural appreciation. EOS M was great to have handy and was never a burden to carry.

So, what's it like? First impressions with EOS M were 'this is different'. I felt some excitement. It is easy to take along. It has great still and video image quality. The quick videos taken in an urban setting, day and night, indoors and out, were very good. Overall, you have quite a powerful, small camera in your hands.

About those complaints...if you are looking for feedback on EOS M, you are going to find it pretty quickly. Lots of reviews out there. Unfortunately, few of those reviews were made with anything more than a cursory look, probably an hour or more, at best. I noted, though, that some real photographers were giving it a thumbs up. I'd read many bad reviews pertaining to autofocus, lack of viewfinder, no controls, or on-board flash. But none of these proved (at least to me) to be real issues. My findings are that most reviewers were probably "too persnickety" with this mirror less camera. Their complaints convey to me a misunderstanding of the EOS M's capabilities and limitations as a system. Perfection usually comes with a price. EOS M is neither pricey nor filled to the brim with perfection.

Back in the studio... many wonderful photographs are made with natural and abundant ambient window light. If you can find it, and know how to use it, your photos will be standouts. Sometimes, though, you need to manufacture wonderful light. And for many photographers that means using studio lighting. I wondered if I could use EOS M with my studio strobes and almost immediately discovered that EOS M had the same manual exposure mode as my larger Canons and with the hot shoe, I could mount and use my Pocket Wizards. And in a moment, I was in business! Whether shooting a miniature doll or photographing a flat highly detailed document, the strobes give you the wonderful light needed to make great photographs. And EOS M (with Canon's EF/EF-S lens adapter) let me use any Canon lens I needed. On a tripod, I got "peer quality results" (meaning almost the same as my larger, APS-H and full frame Canons). Being able to use any EF/EF-S lens gave me room to explore using macro lenses, wide open glass (F1.4) and more. Better glass meant larger and heavier, but also improved results. I wouldn't say it would replace my other SLRs, but I could use it in the studio if and when I wanted to. I think it offers great flexibility and opportunity.

In sum, give the EOS M it's due. I was well satisfied with my experience. Take a look. If you're new to Canon, take a look, too. This is all about opportunity to explore!

Uodated 8-13-2013. I purchased this EOS M camera mostly out of curiosity and the recent price roll back created a window of opportunity. In spite of very mixed reviews, I still felt that there was a pony to be had in this new form factor from Canon given its heritage and use of existing technology from the latest Rebel.
* Right out of the box: Simplicity. After some quick try outs, I was warmed over. The familiar control of functions are there, under 'the skin' just waiting to be used. No worries.
* I was very interested to see results with EF and EF-S lenses. I mated the lens adapter, purchased separately, to the Canon 70-300mm L. The combination is a 'monster' and you feel like you are using a lens to photograph with. The EOS M is that tiny. I experienced only some sluggishness with focusing, but nothing out of the ordinary. My quick test was simply shooting through the window, screen and two panes of glass. The results at 100 to 300 mm were as expected, lens IS covered some of the shake at 300mm (without tripod). A photo at 300mm produced a fair quality scene.
* Turning back indoors, it was time for some testing with both a paper document to sim the 'lab test' and some small figures to check depth of field and background blur. I used a 600ws studio strobe (at about 1/8 power) and a 48 inch deep octabox soft box for some fill light. The EOS M manual mode was easy enough to find with the instruction booklet within a minute. At F11 and 1/125th second, a Pocket Wizard handling the relay duties, and a tripod, the scene was ready to shoot. Setup no harder than for any other camera/lens combination. I mated the EOS M, Canon M to EF/EF-S adapter, and EF-S 60mm macro. A nice combination. Very small. The results were stunning. Framing and focusing were much different without a viewfinder, but not too bad to adapt to. At F11, there was no visual image in live view until the shutter button was depressed halfway. A brief frame was visible for a couple of seconds, enough to ensure focus and frame. A few quick shots let me fine tune the composition. The out of camera jpeg results were very good to great. The absolute range of detail using a multicolored, fine lined document for the test was unexpectedly superb; great color and image quality. I have no scale for these results, but if I'm smiling at the results on screen, I usually consider it a winner. The results with the EF 50mm F1.4 were also stunning at F1.4. looking down at a candle in glass holder, about two inches tall, on a mat, the upper most lip of the glass holder is in sharp focus while the remainder and the mat underneath dissolve into a very smooth out of focus background. These were very quick tests and the results were terrific. The use of EF lens and adapter seems to be a good combination although there was some 'hunting' going on. Using the Sigma 28-300mm DG F3.5-6.3 macro (EF mount) caused lots of hunting in continuos autofocus (the default mode for EOS-M). This was to cause very excessive battery drain over the two day trials. It sounded a lot like C3PO in the movie Star Wars! The solution was to disable continuous autofocus. Results were much longer battery life. Cautionary tale here is to use better glass if you are going to adapt EF lenses and the faster the better. I achieved much better results with the Canon EF-S 17-85mm F4-5.6 lens, especially with video.
* The BIG PICTURE: As for now, the basis for great imaging are there. As a photographer, my main job is to unleash them. This camera will aid the inexperienced in making very good photographs and excellent video. And if you want to learn, this could be an excellent tool in learning the advanced program and manual modes. The market seems to swamped with camera gadgets. But Nothing is going to create great photographs at every turn without some effort from the photographer. Photography is still about capturing light! And you still have to be in the 'light place at the light time'. That said, I notice some extraordinary capabilities in this tiny package, something I am willing to work at in order to improve myself and to learn how unlock 'stunning results.' I was quite satisfied with this purchase. My last Rebel was an XT, a few years back which, while not great, enabled me to learn quite a bit about digital photography. The EOS M has ten more megapixels and a greatly improved imaging processor to work with. It has scads more low light sensitivity. Overall, it has about 25 percent more resolution, giving it significantly higher image quality. It is fast, lightweight, handy and has a superb back screen for viewing. Colors and image quality are immediately confirmed. Video has been terrific. Nice HD quality. Whether using the 18-55mm kit lens or the EF-S 17-85mm with adapter, the focusing and zoom were totally silent. Low light performance was very good. Using the EF-135mm F2 L and adapter, I grabbed some very dreamy natural light images indoors at evening with direct sunlight coming through some of the windows. The low lit walls and shadows were well captured. At F2, lots of nice out of focus backgrounds.
* PERFORMANCE: The familiar "green box" mode automation is extensive. It is basically a one button operation. All or most decisions made by the camera. Video with kit lens was excellent; autofocus using stepping motor with the kit lens and the EF-S 17-85mm USM silent. Great sound capture. I will be upgrading the focus firmware next. If that improves auto focus, then this camera will evolve dramatically. Right now, I am still aquatinting myself with new 'live view' style shooting method using the back screen rather than a view finder. Focus hunting is something I am more curious about than frustrated with, as I have observed this all before many times with other camera and lens combinations. Auto focus is usually a given, but does fail under some conditions and settings. Again, use best quality lenses to minimize problems. If using other lenses like the older Sigma 28-300mm DG (without IS) expect to invest time and effort.
* FORM FACTOR: This is an exceptionally small and easy to carry package. It was easy to use and carry at the zoo during a two hour visit. Video was superb. It easily captured the excitement of our train ride, complete with all of the steam action and whistle sounds. External controls are primarily 'one button.' If you need more control, the ability to learn the functions of this camera is enhanced if you have been a Canon user already. The touch screen lets you access them more easily than expected. You are able to see and set controls with a software enabled slide. Control conventions are common across Canon product lines. There is an inherent advantage in using small, compact equipment.
* CONCLUSION: Small, simple to use camera for travel or everyday use. EOS M will not replace the big camera bodies, but may be a terrific proxy for them when it is impracticable to carry them about. Landscape and dramatic scene photography should be achievable. Action subjects may pose some steep challenges. An all around snapshot camera, with the 18-55mm kit lens. The Video performance was very good. If you are an advanced photographer, with a full kit of EF and EF-S lenses, than this camera is like a miniature, late model Rebel. It has very good still and video capabilities and is ready to travel or assist in the studio. This product deserves more attention.
I purchased this camera because I have a Canon 5dMKIII and lots of lenses that I didn't necessarily want to carry with me when traveling for pleasure. Although it isn't a pocket camera, it is darn small with the 22mm pancake lens.

This camera is quality, solid feeling and once you get used to the complexity of navigating the beautiful touch display on the back to control all your manual features you will wind up with beautiful movies and stills. I bought the $70 adapter on ebay to attach my other Canon lenses, and that was fun to play with.

Pros: low light movies...really good! With the 22mm you can pretty much get what you need, you just have to move in to your subject if you want to fill the screen. Macros are really good too (am a huge macro fan) although not as good as the G9-12 series. I had not tried the 18-55 zoom, but I would definitely get that.

Cons: it is a bit slow to focus on video, but I can live with that. Stills focused just fine with the new firmware update, no complaints there. Batteries drain pretty quickly with the big beautiful display so buy extras and an extra charger.

When the price dropped another $80 three weeks after I bought it, Amazon would not give me the discount and said I'd need to return this one (under the return period) and buy a new one at the reduced price. So, I returned it and because I found myself amassing a kit that was almost as unwieldy as my DSLR (because I'd need an additional 18-55mm lens, the adapter, the lens hoods, extra batteries, strap, maybe a grip) I decided to not buy another EOS-M. I may regret my decision. You can do beautiful images with this camera. If you can't take fantastic snapshots with this camera, you just can't take a picture!
on October 15, 2014
I had wanted this camera forever. When mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras first came out, I jumped on the bandwagon with a Panasonic GF1. With a pancake lens, I got a camera that was great for parties: shallow depth of field, good low-light performance, and compact size. The compact size was important, because people were intimidated by my full size DSLR; folks are afraid to be candid around the "professional" photographer. However, the Panasonic had a really noisy sensor, despite its size, especially when shooting RAW. I really wished for such a camera made by Canon. I waited, and waited, and eventually gave up. Everyone else announced one, but Canon did not until after everyone else. The no one bought it. Canon was too late to market. People were trying to compare mirrorless cameras to full DSLRs or to point-n-shoot cameras. A mirrorless camera is neither. DSLR people complained about the slow auto-focus, which is not slow at all, until you compare it with a DSLR that has focus points in the prism system. Point-n-shoot people complained that the thing was huge with a zoom lens, which is true, but zoom lenses are an awful crutch. Given the right use case (which for me is parties), a mirrorless camera is better than a DSLR or a point-n-shoot. Unfortunately, most people can't understand that.

The camera itself is well-designed and well-made. Functionally, it is a T4i in a mirrorless form-factor. Same sensor, same user-interface, same features, same video functionality, etc. Smaller, no built-in flash, different (slower) auto-focus, no viewfinder, and a different lens mount. With a 22mm f/2.0 lens, the thing is pretty compact. Yet it is much more rugged than a point-n-shoot. And because of its much larger image sensor, it yields shallow depth-of-field that you'll never get with a point-n-shoot. In essence, it produces DSLR photos from a point-n-shoot sized camera body.

The image sensor is noisier than the one on my Canon 5D Mark II, but it is much, much cleaner than my Panasonic GF1. And the auto-focus is faster than my GF1.
on December 3, 2013
I will try and avoid some of the comments already made. I love this camera completely and bought it to use as a small/lightweight travel option instead of my SLR. I am used to Canon cameras and so through brand loyalty and a desire to stick with what I know works, I went for this.

Canon do not typically comment on reviews of their products but they could have marketed this better. Many people seem to have the view that it is compromised compared to what they were expecting. It is a small, stripped down camera that basically puts a much higher quality sensor and processor combo on the end of a great lens in your hands that produces better images than other compact options.

If Canon had added a flash, a built in viewfinder or even a larger grip, it would have become less of a minimalist option and more of a, well, a small SLR. And if you want a viewfinder, flash, grip etc then... go buy the SLR...

The positives:

- Takes excellent sharp images
- Very small body and, with the 22mm lens, looks pretty much like a large Ixus compact
- Touch screen is significantly better than any previous Canon touch screen I have owned. Not far off a iPhone in terms of accuracy
- Easy to select key functions with the touch screen, and to identify the focus point you want to lock on to

I would like to address some of the comments I read before purchasing:

"it is slow to focus" - this is true. If you want to capture action shots then use your SLR. It does focus fast enough for kids, family scenes etc. With the touch screen the process of identifying the focus point and locking on is quick enough.

"it doesn't have a flash or viewfinder" - correct on both counts. Both would add weight and bulk, so if you want those, get an SLR or G16 (or G1X)

"its hard to hold with no grip" - I am 6'2" and have hands in proportion to my height... I have no trouble holding it

I have booth lenses with it (zoom and 22mm) - both are producing very clear and sharp images compared to compact cameras. It does not compare with my EOS 5D MkIII with L lenses but then, i wasn't expecting it to. But compared to compact cameras it is a very good alternative.

Overall, this is a terrific camera that allows me to take (and enjoy taking) very good images in a small and discrete package that is ideal for travel.

...and at the current prices on Amazon frankly its a steal.
on July 19, 2013
I jumped on the opportunity to get this camera at the sale/close out price. Quickly sold my s100 point and shoot after trying this camera out on a family mini vacation. Image quality is the same as my previously owned canon 60d. Touch screen works great. I take a lot more family Picts and video with this camera compaird to the s100. I'm just very happy with the image quality. I also have a Canon 5diii. I like the video in the M better because of the convince of the continuous auto focus. I would recommend this camera to anyone stepping up from a point and shooter and anyone looking for an cost effective option to go along with their DSLR. I ended up getting both lens options. I use the 22mm for indoor and the zoom for outdoor.

Autofocus:

I purchased my M here on Amazon about 2 weeks ago and it came with the updated firmware. I bought the camera based on price and Canon's reputation on quality. I was not disappointed. After I bought the camera I looked at reviews both written and on youtube and they both mentioned the slower than normal autofocus. I thought to my self ' the autofocus is slow ?'. Yep I didn't notice. Maybe if I had the opportunity to test a plethora of mirrorless camera and test the features I may notice the difference. So take reviews with a grain of salt.
VINE VOICEon December 13, 2013
I purchased this camera with 22mm lens used - as new - for $285.oo - including shipping. For the serious armature, this is a great little camera. For the professional photographer, this is a nice little camera to have in pocket for unexpected photo opportunities.

As for me, I would have given up everything to become a professional photographer with such a camera and set-up with my computer system. That is to say fifty years ago. But still, this little camera is amazing even today. And a new version will appear on the market maybe soon that will be even better. But the price will ago up significantly.

The objections critics raise against the slower focusing are those wonderful idealists. Lots of cameras I have handled are slower than this. The reviewer who reported 4-5 seconds to focus is very suspect. My experience has been solid focusing in less than one second. True, this is not fast enough for sports, but for most anything else, it is just fine.

I recommend buying the 18-55mm zoom lens instead of buying the adapter to use with your other Canon EOS lenses. It just doesn't make sense to me to attach heavy lenses on this little doll of a camera when I have the well balanced Rebel T2i and T4i cameras. I made the mistake of buying the off brand adapter (which works perfectly) and can now use all my EOS lenses on the M camera bodies. But I've decided to use only the STM lenses on my M camera. I can't see putting a big lens on this small camera.

The M camera has no built-in flash, but it does have a hot shoe. This will work perfectly with my Canon 270EX Speedlite. and, if needed, with my larger Speedlite. This is my personal preference. I hardly ever use flash. It's just that a hot shoe is so much more versatile and effective than a built-in flash. The tiny opening on the camera face, that I thought might be a flash, is just a beam to help the camera auto focus.

The 22mm lens is very sharp, and an aperture of f 2.0 , coupled with the camera's ability to use high ISO's low light shooting is easy. The sweetest sweet spot is f 8. The sensor and processer really do their jobs. I could never get such sharpness and detail with any tiny sensor camera. And the M does shoot RAW+JPG. With the M camera you get an easy to carry, easy to use camera, and high quality photographs. And it's only a little slower in focusing than optimal for some uses.

UPDATE 12/18/13

I forgot to mention before about the lack of a viewfinder. After some use of this camera, I miss it. Especially if I were trying to use the camera for sports, or moving dogs at the Dog Park, I usually press a camera against my face to steady it when I shoot, but the Image Stabilizer works very well if the camera is held properly - as shown in the User Guide. Additionally, I push the camera away from me to cause the neck strap to pull on the back of my neck. That creates kind of a tripod effect with my body. But still, I often have a problem with direct sunlight obscuring my subjects. I've tried a specially built shade device, but it was too clumsy to be useful.

I also hadn't mentioned the Touch Screen. Well, it's fast and great. I mostly like being able to touch the screen to guide what the camera is to Auto Focus on. That's very cool.

And I will purchase the next upgrade of the M, but only if it has a viewfinder and an articulating screen.
on July 23, 2013
I bought it not because I really needed it.
It was on sale and I did some quick test once I received it.
Being a user of the previous canon 5d mark II and III, 7d and 60d, I have to say that this little gadget redefines Canon's product line.
The touch screen is superb. I have used touch screen cameras from other companies and this EOS M is nothing short of a surprise.
Compared to Sony Nex 5, which I bought a few years ago, the EOS M has a much better feel to it with a hint of metallic shine.
The focusing is not as fast as the BIG DSLR. However, I can live with it for landscape and more static shots.
The only thing I would have hoped is that it contains a no shutter sound shooting mode, which would make it a lot more versatile.
Overall, if you get it on sale, you get yourself quite a nice little present!
I highly recommend it!