Top positive review
11 people found this helpful
Good printer and copier, with a few flaws
on June 17, 2009
When I first got this machine, I was ready to give it 5 stars. It set up easily and made fast, great quality copies. I noticed a couple of glitches but thought them minor. But after a few days I have discovered shortcomings of the unit, hence the 4-stars. I was considering 3 but figure that's too low since it does basic things well. It is a multi-purpose machine, but not all-purpose.
* Excellent quality printing and copies
* Scan-once-print-many I think describes how the machine copies - scans a document once and prints as many copies as you order. Good feature!
* Fast (compared to my old HP LJ5P)
* Simple toner cart loading
* Allows straight-through printing for heavy stock you don't want to curl
* Fairly easy manual paper feed, but with a shut-down quirk (see below)
* Standby mode nice to save energy
* Good price after rebate
* It's not a computer-linked scanner as I thought. Looks like one, isn't.
* Paper handling is less than stellar. Paper cartridge falls out if not handled exactly correctly, but paper doesn't come out with it, spilling all over the floor (reminds me of the card game 52 Pickup). The cartridge actually is only half a cartridge -- open at the end inside the printer, not anchored well, feels flimsy. Paper tray on my old HP 5P is years better than this one.
* Machine locks up if you feed an odd-size sheet through the manual paper feed. No way to reset it except unplug. So it prints only one odd-size sheet at a time. Print one, unplug, print another, unplug.... I'm used to a button that clears errors and resets. None on this printer. You can pre-set paper size to avoid the lockup, but sometimes I have one smaller sheet to print for which the unit does not have a setting.
* Kind of big, both footprint and height, but that may not be a problem for you.
The large block of "Cons" makes this look more negative than I feel it should, but those are the negatives I find. If you don't need a machine than scans to the computer, and if you can handle the quirky paper-feed requirements, it's great. At the price, if it were used just as a copier for a small office it would be well worth the price.