Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 458 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 659 reviews
on August 21, 2010
I thought I would write this so people can make up their minds about the lens choice. The 28-135 USM lens which comes with the other kit is probably a better lens BUT the EF-S 18-135 is more versatile. The 18-135 is WAY wider and just as long. The lens makes a little more noise and the manual focus ring does rotate while auto-focusing. That said, the image quality is far better than I thought it would be. I wasn't planning to use the kit lens much. I have other lenses to use with my 7D, I have found myself using the 18-135 more than I thought. The image quality is surprisingly great! The focusing ring rotating while auto-focusing has been a non-issue. It has not even been a concern. The 18-135 has better image quality than the 18-200. I think it's one of Canon's best all=around lenses now that I have used it for a few weeks. I am glad I chose this kit over the 28-135 because of the ability to go wide if you need it.

Enough about the great lens. The 7D has been great! Read the reviews on DP Review or TheDigitalPicture for the specifics. I cannot say enough good about the 7D. I came from a T1i and there is NO COMPARISON between the Rebel series and the 7D. It's not even close. The T2i (at the time of this review) is a good alternative to the 7D if you don't have the extra $$ but the 7D is FAR better in so many ways. The feel in your hand, the focusing system, high speed continuous shooting, the ability to customize the buttons on the body to do whatever you want, the electronic level, (use it all the time in VF AND LCD) all of the custom functions, wireless flash control built in, metering system, transmissive LCD viewfinder that looks amazing!..you cannot really compare the 7D to anything except the 5D MkII. The 7D is a better camera than the 5D. The ONLY thing the 5D has is full-frame and I LIKE the crop factor of the 7D. All lenses get in closer and if you want a wider angle, get a wide angle lens like the EF-S 10-22. The APS-C format is here to stay. I got the best EF-S lens (17-55 IS USM) and it's the best lens I can imagine. Canon is showing us the APS-C is going to be around for a long time.

The owner's manual is great (like all Canon DSLRs) and the battery life has been spectacular! There is a built in gauge that tells you how many shots you have on the current battery and the quality of the battery. I got an Opteka battery as a spare for less than half the price of the Canon and it has worked fine and charges fine with the included charger.

The built in wireless speedlite controller in the 7D is a big plus also. There is no need to get one accessory. It will control off camera flashes.

The Canon 7D is a better camera than the T5i (Rebel series)or the 5D IMO. The price is reasonable for what you are getting....A camera you could keep for a long time.

One thing to note: when you first get the camera...put the lens on and before you put a battery in....look through the viewfinder. You will be shocked, it needs power from the battery to work. Without power, the VF looks dark and cloudy. It has an LCD so you can overlay grid lines, focusing aids, and the electronic level inside. I didn't know this when I looked at the 7D at my local camera shop. I almost didn't buy one because I thought the VF was terrible. It turns out it's because there was no battery installed at the time!

This "review" is not very well done and a little random, but I really wanted to let everybody know that this kit with the 18-135 is nothing short of great! I would highly recommend it to anyone. If you are a pro, this lens is not good enough for you, but it's good enough for most, and WELL worth having around even if you are a pro or aspiring pro. It's SO versatile. LOVE IT.

The 7D is one of the best cameras in the world for any price at the time of this review. It's a little expensive for some, but worth it. Get one and find out.

Update: 11/17/10 - I ended up getting the EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 IS USM lens and it's the best thing since sliced bread. It stays on the 7D almost all the time. I also got an EF 24-104 F/4L and it's amazing. I sold the 18-135 that came with th e camera. I would have sold the 28-135 as well. I would still recommend the 18-135 that comes with this kit....but I would recommend MORE that you simply buy the body only and get a 17-55 F/2.8 IS USM with it. You might as well start off with the best lens ever made for this camera.

The 7D: I cannot imagine a better camera for any price. It does everything SO well. landscapes, kids, pets, sports, action, still life, low light, any thing you want to photograph the 7D will let you do WELL. The ISO range and performance has been more than satisfactory. The 7D has not disappointed in any way. It has exceeded my expectations. I am about to do another video on YT under the same user name. I have some videos up there already on the 7D. I will be doing a 90 day review on what I think of the camera. I would highly recommend it still.....even with the upcoming release of the 5DmkIII in a few months. Get a 7D and get this lens or the body and the 17-55 2.8 and you will be very happy.

Update: 2/11/11 - I continue to use this 7D. I use the 24-105 F/4L, 17-55 F/2.8, and 100mm macro mostly. The camera is good for any type of shooting. It has great image quality. I have now used it in snow storms, rain, wind, dust, etc. I have had no problems with it. I still plan to use this camera for quite some time. I see no reason to move to anything else. The 7D continues to be one of the best out there. The built in flash control has come in handy, but I got a $40 Cactus trigger (no you cannot buy them here) They work great. I can use the 430EXii anywhere, and off camera. The built in flash has limitations. It does not work outside sometimes if it's too bright or there is too much distance. As I said before, buy body only and get a really good lens. This camera is equipped with a very nice sensor. You need a good lens to take advantage of the resolution. Get a good "L" lens or the 17-55 Canon F/2.8 IS. You will not be disappointed. I am curious to see what they do to replace this camera. It will be quite a day when they top the 7D.

Update 4-17-11 - I am coming up on a year since I got this combo. Now since the terrible earthquake in Japan the prices are up. I have not seen any issues with the 7D yet. I am still impressed with it. I use it almost every day. I carry it with me in an "Ape Case" bag along with my 17-55 F/2.8, 24-105 F/4L, 50mm and 100mm lenses. I love this thing and would still recommend buying it. The replacement will not be out for over a year if even then. Get the 7D. It's still a good buy. The Nikon D7000 is a good alternative now however. Not as good as the 7D in my opinion but newer sensor tech. I would get the 7D body only and use the lenses you already have. If you are getting a 7D as your 1st DSLR it's too much camera for you. Learn on a T1i, T2i, T3i then move up in a few months if you are still learning. Get a 50mm if you don't have any lenses. If you have the money get a 17-55, 24-70 or 24-105L lens. The lens this combo comes with does not match the 7D quality. It will do but the 7D deserves a better lens.

Update 9-17-11 - For those of you still reading, I am still using the 7D hard. It has about 15,000-20,000 clicks on the shutter. It still looks and feels new! Every time I use the 7D is like the first time. Nothing is loose, broken, or even worn. The 7D is the type of camera I wish would last the rest of my life. The number of options you have with this camera in the menus, with it's dual processors, speed, ease of use, etc...still make me happy. As you may know already, I sold the kit lens (18-135) I use a 100mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 17-55, 24-105 mostly. I have others as well. The 7D is STILL one of the best cameras money can buy for stills AND video. I am very pleased with the image quality, build quality, look, feel, and ease of use. I expect to get 50,000 to 100.000 shots with it. Maybe more. I will use the 7D until I can get better results with something else.

Update 6-12-12 - I continue to use and enjoy the 7D. I have gone through many lenses. The 24-105 and 17-55 and 100mm macro are my favorites. For the first time since film cameras, I don't even feel the need to upgrade. The 7D continues to do a great job with any situation. Portraits, still life, action, sports, family events, anything I care to shoot.....the 7D does a great job. I have found that anything under 1600 ISO needs no noise reduction. 3200 and 6400 needs some NR. A new or used 7D would be a good choice. It's a very capable camera here in 2012. Just an update for those interested. I have had a great experience with the 7D.

Update 4-15-13 - I am still using the 7D body and plan to keep using it for another year or two. I just can't find any other reason to upgrade. The overall image quality and my ability to capture shots with the 7D to be very good. There are many options in 2013. With the price of the 7D body down a bit.....I would still buy one today. I would get the body only, then find a good lens to fit your style of photography. Pick up a 50mm F/1.8 or 1.4 with the body while deciding what lens (or lenses) you want. The 17-55 is great. The 24-105 is great also. If you want a cheaper option then you might consider the 18-135 with the body. I just wanted to do one last update with a camera now about 4 years old......it's still great. Most cameras would be obsolete now but the 7D is an exception. It was so good when it first came out.....it's still worth buying today. I am still loving it. The 7D has never let me down. Now with firmware version 2.0.3 it has even more features. Amazing camera. I am very happy.

Update 8-19-13 - The 2.0.3 Firmware really improves the performance of this camera. You can re-size JPGs, edit RAW images and convert to JPG in camera. Those are just some of the new features. The buffer now holds many more files, both JPG and RAW while shooting at 8FPS. GPS capability has been added. The sensor has been surpassed by new cameras BUT the 7D still has excellent image quality for anything from action, sports, portraits, macro. With this new update I feel like I got a new camera. If you have a 7D update it. If you are thinking of buying one.....it's still a great camera body. A bit over priced now.....but worth it. Canon might be able to do even more with firmware updates in the future with the 7Ds dual processors and excellent quality.

Update 1-14-15 - I still have and use the Canon 7D. Now that the newer 7D MKII is out it is hard to NOT upgrade, however, the original 7D is still worth owning and using. The newer sensor and focus on the 7D MKII is better. I have given this a lot of thought.....whether to upgrade or not. I have decided to stick with the original 7D for another year. Unless you make large prints you will never notice the difference between the two cameras. (or any other crop sensor camera) The original 7D is still a formidable camera. With the 2.0.3 (now 2.0.5) firmware update it is more than most amateurs need or will use. The 7Ds sensor and focus ability is VERY good still. The images are still worth printing and viewing on screen. Use the RAW mode and use software to enhance your images. Nobody will be able to tell the difference. I love the 7D and have no plans to go full frame yet. Next upgrade I will consider going full frame and get rid of my 17-55 and 55-250. EF-S lenses will not work with full frame bodies. If you are buying new right now.....I would go with the 7D MKII just because the price difference is not worth buying the original now. If you are looking at used cameras the original 7D is a steal at used prices. I would do that. I all come down to your price range as usual. 7D is still kicking and worth using, even at weddings, and other events. The RAW images processed are great. As I said in earlier posts I sold the 18-135 long ago and now use a 17-55, 24-105, and 100mm Macro, 50mm F1.8. I am very satisfied. Whoever gets my camera when I finally sell it will be getting a very good deal. It looks new to this day. Get a used 7D. If you can afford more get a new 7D MKII.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 5, 2013
UPS delivered a new 7D on October 8, 2009, five weeks after I placed an Amazon pre-order. During the last 4.5 years I've gotten to know this groundbreaking DSLR well. With weather seals at the level of the legendary EOS 1N, high performance appointments and contoured magnesium body shell, the 7D is like a mini 1D. It's solid yet comfy in hand: deep finger grooves in the grip and thick textured rubber make for a secure handhold. The large thumb rest anchors the thumb and increases grip security.

The shutter is softer than a 50D but louder than my 60D and 6D. If you're a SLR shooter you'll consider the 7D pianissimo. At 8FPS I call it fast. To maintain high FPS you need a good battery and the 7D is good for 1000 images per charge. Obviously video and live view reduce battery time. The LP-E3 batteries are dependable and have a useable life of about 3 years.

CONTROL INTERFACE: Controls revolve around 3 wheels, 19 buttons, 1 joystick and 11 tabbed menus. Major features rely on physical controls can be set by feel while looking through the viewfinder. Menus ares used for options. Wheels have stiff resistance, making accidental turning unlikely. EOS veterans whould feel at home and will barely need to crack the manual. Most controls can be reprogrammed. I configured the joystick for direct selection of AF points and assigned center AF point to the DOF button. Menus can be configured too, e.g., group favorite settings under a single tab. The menus are well organized with options on a single page.

VIEWFINDER: The viewfinder shows 100% of the image at 1.0X magnification and is the best APS-C viewfinder I've used. The focusing screen is not user replaceable but the transmissive LCD display--transparent LCD over the focusing screen--can simulate five AF patterns, grid and plain matte screens. The red AF display flashes may be changed to dark gray or disabled. The viewfinder data display is bright and easy to read.

AUTOFOCUS: The 19-point cross-type AF array is the most significant 7D innovation. The center point is a double cross. Imagine two superimposed crosses: rotate one cross so the arms fall in between the axis of the other. A F2.8 or faster lens is needed to enable high precision double cross sensitivity. With slower optics it reverts to normal precision and single cross. Off-center points are cross point and can snag almost anything. Although the 7D has double the AF points of the 50D, the AF area is the same size. AF selection via joystick is precise and quick.

My disappointment with 19-point auto select is active points can't be directly overridden with the joystick. Instead, press the AF selection button, use the M-Fn button to cycle through modes until single point AF appears and, finally, select the AF point with the joystick! Oddly, individual AF points may be chosen in 19-point AI servo. However, the selected point is a starting point for AI servo tracking: focus is handed off to each of the 19 points as the subject is tracked across the frame.

My compromise for the problem above is to use Zone AF with center point assigned to the DOF button. Zone AF behaves like 19-point AF, but limited to one of 5 user selected zones. Zones may be chosen directly via joystick and, if pin point accuracy is needed or it misses, press the DOF button to narrow AF to a single point within the active zone. Essentially it becomes 5-point AF with the DOF button. Release DOF button to return to normal operation.

Spot AF reduces AF point size for precise control of the focal point, ideal for macro and portraits. Why not use normal Single point AF? Normal AF points are large and may cover both the eye and eyebrow in a tight portrait, locking on the more contrasty eyebrow. Reducing AF point size insures an eyeball lock. Spot AF is the most significant focusing breakthrough of the past 5 or 6 years. It's not for everyone, but makes macro and portrait shooters happy.

METERING: Sixty-three zone metering debuted in the EOS 1D Mark III and filtered down to the 7D. Evaluative metering integrates color data into the algorithm and is better at avoiding overexposure of reds. It's a minor improvement over 35-zone metering of XXD cameras but better in tricky lighting. Exposure compensation (EC) is adjustable to +/- 3 stops. Metering is more biased to the active AF point than earlier EOS DSLRs, i.e., the object you focus on has more weight in exposure calculations. In Zone AF where a group of AF points lock, the exposure is more averaged.

FLASH: The retractable E-TTL flash is great for fill flash and snapshots. AF assist is the main gotcha--pulses like a disco strobe--but can be disabled. The popup also functions as a wireless E-TTL flash master, using light pulses to trigger compatible Speedlites. If you use auto-ISO with flash, it defaults to ISO 400. Often that is not high enough for balanced fill in low light, and too high for fill in bright light, so you'll need to dial in ISO settings manually.

Flash exposure compensation (FEC) in -3 to + 3 in 1/2 or 1/3 stop increments, FE Lock (M-Fn button) and second curtain sync are available in the flash menu. Flash exposure is normally accurate and I rarely need FEC, save for very dark or light subjects. FEC has a dedicated button and can be set without taking your eye from the viewfinder.

IMAGE QUALITY: At low ISO there isn't much improvement over 50D RAW files. That's not a bad thing as the 50D is excellent at ISO 100-400. However, 7D high ISO shows significant improvement over its predecessor with reduced noise, especially banding. The 7D pulls off a great ISO 800 and a good 1600. With default DPP noise reduction files are fine for nice 11 x 17 or 13 x 19 inch prints. In a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to use ISO 3200 with noise reduction.

APS-C cameras are less tolerant of underexposure than full frame models. I shoot RAW, "expose to the right" and pull back exposure 1/2 stop or so prior to converting to TIFF. The resulting image is cleaner than normally exposed ones. Avoid AutoISO and select settings with less noise: ISO 160, 320, 640 and 1250, rather than 200, 400, 800 and 1600.

FINAL BURB: The 7D is a nimble, precise and capable instrument, and a significant upgrade over the 50D. Durable construction and top AF performance make it great for outdoor action. However, the 7D is not for everybody: heavy and the plexus of features insure a long learning curve. I've owned it over four years and it still delivers in spades.
on January 31, 2016
I have purchased this camera a few years ago and fell in love with it. I have worked my way up from a Nikon Coolpix to the Canon 60D to the last-step before upgrading to a full sensor camera. Although this camera's replacement Came out just last summer, I'd still prefer this over its replacement due to several reasons:
The CMOS sensor it employs are great as is and have been in use for many years since their inception. In comparison to the never Mark 2 model,I couldn't see many differences in quality of the images. especially at night. Also, due to the fact that both have dual sensors the speed at which they shoot is very minute, only 2 frames more in the Mark 2 model.
The second feature I enjoyed using with this model was the ease of accessing the menu using both the center console and the joystick. The buttons felt a little stiffer but also spongy when pressing them
The third feature is the structural integrity you feel when holding it. It is made a metal alloy so it is stronger, dust resistant, and water resistant.
Even though it has all these great features, it does have its short-falls for example:
No tilting, swivel screen like many Sony, Nikon, or lower Canon cameras. If you want to have full on of the HD film capability, a screen that can be manipulated should be a top priority.
Another shortfall is the nine point autofocus points. Even though you won't usually need more such as the sixty-three on most full frame cameras, it's good.But more would be better.
And finally, the plastic LCD screen reflects to much light. On the Mark3, it uses glass rather than a soft plastic that can scratch easily. I'd rather spend more on a few more luxury features.
frankly, the replacement model doesn't have many features either such as a manipulative screen, glass screen, or even touch screen or Wi~fi.
If you are someone looking to upgrade from a simple dslr camera like the Canon 70D or Nikon D 300, this is the right machine to take you to the next level in photography. It is more important to invest in better glass than camera bodies. Since the Mark 2 came out, I'd stick to its predecessor.
on December 17, 2012
Although I have been pondering going full frame for some time, I am postponing the switch out of concern for my pocketbook and because this 7D has been giving me lots of joy for the year I have had it.
I shoot a lot; kids, parties, performance art with available light, sport etc. plus I am getting into home studio portrait and strobism with a pair of speedlights and this camera works beautifully and reliably.
In a year I reached above 30 000 frames, nearly no video (I do stills).

Side equipment I would recommend - I don't have tons of lenses and gear so I can't speak about everything there is out there but here is what I gathered around that camera that I really use all the time. I am very happy with what I can do with this stuff.

LENSES
All three lenses are quite pricey and well-built and give gorgeous pictures that the 7D sensor captures with minute details.
- I already had a 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM from a few years back. This lens remains one of my very favorite.
- I bought the 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM with this 7D, also a full frame-capable lens with in mind a future upgrade to a full-frame body like the 5D-III.
- I recently procured the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, which is a crop-sensor only lens - it will not work on the 1D, 5D or 6D but I really wanted a wide-angle lens and this one is just beautiful.
With these three I can do almost all I want.
If I had known I would have bought the 7D body only and foregone the 18-135mm hich is ok but really not as enjoyable as the ones listed above.

LIGHT
Add to that a Canon TTL flash or two such as
- the 430EX II,
- the 580EX II,
- or the 600EX-RT (for a comparison based on spec sheet with the 580, see my review of the 580Ex-II)
and you are all set.
You will likely find that you want some more lighting equipment but this is beyond the scope of this review.

SOFTWARE
It comes with a software bundle that covers all the bases but following the advice of a pro photographer friend of mine I still added Lightroom v.4.0, and I am very glad I did. I wish I had known of it earlier.

The 7D is a great camera, very simple to use, yet provides a wealth of possibilities for technically inclined amateur like me.
- Once I got used to its basic controls, I found that the camera does not get in the way of taking the picture. This to me is probably the most important, even before image quality.
- The sensor gives beautiful, vibrant images - the color rendering is very close to what I see with my eyes, which is my criterion.
- The sensor also features a native ISO range of up to 6400 and at ISO 3200 the pictures are really good.
- Flash control is excellent - I frequently use the remote flash control from the camera with a 580Ex-II and a 430Ex-II together and the possibilities are staggering.
- The JPEG you get directly from the camera are gorgeous. I rarely shoot raw due to the size of the resulting files except when doing landscape or portrait, and the dedicated button that switches to raw+JPEG for the next picture is very useful to me.

There are many more good things to say about this camera but I would find myself re-writing the manual, which is informative, well written and well-worth reading from cover to cover.

All in all a great camera, the best I ever had and one of the easiest to use.
on May 29, 2013
I am not going to talk your ear off. If you are looking at this camera then you probably have a good idea about it. At the moment it is the flagship camera of Canon's small sensor cameras. It is built like a tank, weighs about the same, but that heft gives you confidence in its build and function. I love it. I have done family portraits to Quinceañeras and it always performs. Remember that lenses that are not specifically made for the crop sensor are going to have a telephoto effect, not a huge issue but something to keep in mind. All of Canons ef lenses will work, of course, on this camera.
The lens that comes with it is a good lens, a great starter lens in fact. But you will want to upgrade. Quality glass is everything.
The onboard flash works well, but dont expect professional results and not beyond 15 feet. Invest in a good flash as well.
I have no regrets in buying this camera, and it really is a joy to use. This can be used as a basic point and shoot, but why would you? It can do so much more. Learn the camera, read the manual, watch online tutorials, then you will start shooting it like it was meant to.
review image review image review image review image
on November 30, 2016
I bought my Canon 7D in “Just Like New Condition” for the sole purpose of installing the free Magic Lantern firmware hack to be able to shoot RAW and MLV (RAW 2.0) video and to take advantage of most of the features it offers like the ETTR tool (Exposing To The Right), sound meters, etc… in other words converting my DSLR into a baby digital cinema camera that comes close to competing with a Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera that also shoots RAW video but is usually double the cost.

The main difference between the BMPCC and the 7D (shooting RAW) is 13 stops of dynamic range versus the 7D’s 11.8 stops. 13 stops for the BMPCC is very impressive for a camera this price but if you learn to light correctly (especially using the ETTR tool) 11.8 stops is nothing to sneeze at either… again, about half the cost.

Out of all the Canon DSLR models only three cameras can really take almost full advantage of Magic Lantern’s firmware hack features (which is free) the 5DIII, 5DII and 7D, specifically the ability to shoot RAW & MLV video until the CF card is full. The other Canon models like the T5i/700D can only shoot RAW/MLV video for about 10-15 seconds and not come close to max resolution because of the limits on the memory buffer. The 5DIII costs about four times the price of a 7D and about 2-3 times a 5dII. As far as I can tell, the 7D is essentially the 5D version but with a smaller APS-C sensor and the 5D series is highly respected among professionals.

As mentioned, the 7D does not have a full-frame sensor but it’s APS-C sensor is about the size of cinematic Super-35 sensor! Also, the smaller the sensor your camera has, the harder it is to find lenses made specifically for it, especially prime wide-angle lenses. But Canon just came out with the Canon EF-S 24mm f2.8 wide-angle prime lens that you can find in ‘Just Like New’ condition for $120 here on Amazon! On average you’d be lucky to find one wide-angle prime lens that costs less than $300 with decent f-stop of at least 2.8 (decent boke, i.e. blurry background) for even smaller sensor cameras like micro 4:3’s, it becomes even harder to find at a decent price.

You can still use full-frame lenses on the 7D like the very awesome ef-50mm f1.8 prime lens that costs like $115 “Just Like New” and gives you good boke! But the EF 50mm is made for the full-frame sensor and because of the 7D’s smaller sensor it crops the image and so it makes it behaves more like a 80mm lens… which basically means your going to have to back away farther from your subject matter to fit them in your frame. The EF-S 24mm and EF-50mm (80mm on APS-C) prime lenses are great basic prime lenses to start off with and will probably use 90% of the time and you can purchase both for less than $240! Good luck finding anything that resembles this lens combo for this price. Heck, good luck finding one prime lens for another camera model for the same price of two lenses!

The biggest concern I had with using Magic Lantern to shoot MLV (RAW 2.0) video was that my 7D would over heat because I was shooting RAW video. Not to worry, I shot a short film for a week straight during one of the hottest parts of the summer in San Jose, CA, with an average temperature of 85 degrees with the windows and doors closed inside a house (sound recording purposes) and even though my actors and I where sweating buckets, my camera never had any heating issues and I might have had to re-started it a couple of times but it always bounced back. The only issue I did encounter is that about every 20th shot came out with a green tint but it was so rare when it happened that it almost not worth mentioning but I like to be honest. And that issue has not come back since writing this review and I have shot more since then.

I won’t kid you, the learning curve for Magic Lantern is steep but not impossible and their website is chockfull of forum help.

Cons:

It only has 11.8 stops of dynamic range in era where Nikon and Sony DSLR’s are producing about 14 stops.

No flip screen.
on April 2, 2014
I originally purchased this camera for photos of my family. This camera has excelled at that. The pictures are very sharp - you'll have no problem having large portraits printed. In fact, the largest print I've had made is 24" x 36" and it's crystal clear. So far, I've only used EF lenses, but I'm seriously considering the EF-S 10-22 for wide angle group shots.

The build quality is fantastic. This camera has a magnesium body and can really take a beating. Check out the Chinese guy on youtube to see what I'm talking about. I'm continuously pushing buttons and using the dials and have never had a problem. I can see where the screen can get scratched if you aren't careful, but to date my screen still looks like new.

I've now had this camera for about 18 months and I've learned the controls and can take beautiful pictures, but I have to admit that I wasn't impressed with this camera at first. I couldn't seem to get a sharp image and had considered sending it back to Amazon. I'm glad I didn't because with some practice I've gotten very good with this camera and am now getting requests to take pictures for friends and neighbors. I've never charged anyone for this so I call myself a professional amateur.

To sum it up, this is a really nice camera and I feel that you can't go wrong. Sure, it may not be a 5d MKIII, but it doesn't cost as much as one either and to be honest I can't really tell a big difference in image quality between the 7D and 5D anyway. Maybe it's just me.
on November 6, 2011
I bought my Canon EOS 7D with the 28-135 mm lens from Amazon just over a year ago. Since then I've taken about 20,000 photos, and had to work with Canon's service department along the way. So now's a good time for a review. I've been a serious amateur photographer for more than 50 years. I don't take snapshots; 99% of my photos are taken with the camera on a tripod. I take a lot of pride in my photos, and hundreds of them are published on several websites I own or manage. I wanted a camera that was so good I couldn't blame it for a bad photo, but not so expensive I'd be limited in what other photo-related items I could buy.

My intention when buying the camera was mostly bird photography, so I also bought the 100-400 mm L zoom lens. My interests also extend to close ups, and the 60-mm macro lens got added to the package. Since then I've added only two more lenses to my kit: the 10-22 mm EF-S wide angle and a used Sigma 600-mm mirror lens. Accessories? Oh, yes, we have accessories!

One problem with APS-C sensors is greater image noise, especially at higher ISOs. The EOS 7D produces very low-noise images at ISO 800, though I rarely go there. While photographing a night-time prescribed fire in Jonathan Dickinson State Park I kicked the ISO up to 6400, and shot with the 10-22 mm EF-S lens wide open (f/3.5 to f/4.5). Those shots were for the web, and even at 1200-px width the noise is bearable. In fact, for something as dramatic as a night-time forest fire the noise seems to add veracity. Most of the time I shoot at ISO 100 or 200, and large prints look wonderful. (Don't handicap yourself with cheap filters or a flimsy tripod. Accessories can add significantly to the start-up costs of a system like this, so figure them into your budget from the beginning. If you're just getting into DSLR photography, stick with the camera and 'kit' lens, and get a high-quality clear or UV filter. I always recomend a tripod, but good ones are pretty expensive. Autofocus and image stabilization may make tripods seem irrelevant, but tripods make you slow down and pay attention to the shot. That would be a good next purchase.)

The sensor and in-camera processing are important, but so is the lens. The supplied 28-135 is acceptable, though not on par with better fixed-focal-length lenses. Its greatest fault is the 6-blade iris, which causes sub-par background blur, but I've been able to fix that up pretty well using Photoshop's "Lens Blur." If your program has Gaussian blur and you know how to work with layers, you can fix the problem so most people won't notice, and the lens does have its benefits.

For one, it focuses down to about 20 inches (0.5 m), which is very useful if you're a nature photographer. Schneider makes a +2 diopter achromatic (dual-element) close-up lens with the right thread, and that lets me focus down to about 10 inches, even at 135-mm (more than 200-mm equivalent on a full-frame 35-mm camera). (Canon makes an equivalent achromatic +2 diopter lens but at this writing you can't get a new one in the U.S., and used ones are commanding high prices.) I've gotten some astounding photos of dragonflies and other insects with this combination. The depth of field is limited, so you need a tripod, and it doesn't hurt to manually focus.

Ah, here's the thing: If you're an automatic-camera type, the 7D probably isn't for you. Yes, it has built-in options that will think for you, but you can get them for less on, say, a 60D or a point-and-shoot. The 7D is a photographer's camera, like a Porsche is a driver's car. I've never used the full-automatic features and don't miss them. I tend to use Aperture Priority, and set Exposure Compensation to underexpose by one-half f/stop. I also use the Histogram to look for potential problems (you can see the Histogram before shooting by switching to Live View mode, which you can do by pushing one button on the back of the camera).

One feature I especially like is the ability to shoot at 8 frames per second. Great for birds in flight and butterflies. If you shoot only JPEG-format, an 8-GB CF card holds more than 1000 images. If you shoot RAW+JPEG you can store about 250 images on an 8-GB card. As I don't do sports photography, occasionally changing memory cards in the field is not a big problem, and if a card goes bad, I'll lose fewer images. I have two SanDisk cards and alternate them, and so far, no problems. I download images to my PC via the USB connection.

I did have a problem with the camera, though it was my fault. The body is claimed to be water resistant, but that's not exactly right. I shot outside all summer here in South Florida, and a couple of times I dripped perspiration on the flash hot shoe. I _thought_ I wiped it off, but some must have gotten inside and corroded the hot-shoe terminals. The camera thought there was always an 'unidentified' external flash on board, so the internal flash wouldn't come on. And it wouldn't recognize my Canon 580EX II flash when I slid it into the hot shoe, though I still could use the flash. This problem cost me $450 to fix, but Canon had the camera back to me in less than two weeks, and their website kept me informed of its progress through the repair facility.

Since I got the camera I launched a website devoted to the natural history of the county I live in, which means taking lots of photos of flowers, plants, trees and insects, as well as my favorites, birds. It's the nature of APS-C sensors to produce greater depth of field, which is overall a benefit when shooting close ups. Getting wide with an APS-C sensor means using an extreme lens, but the 10-22 mm EF-S (usable only on APS-C cameras) does the job. Never have I wished for a full-frame DSLR (only the $$$ to afford one!). If the market recovers I will probably buy a second 7D, so I don't have to change lenses when that neat bird flies over while I'm hunched down shooting a flower with the macro lens. I would definitely recommend the EOS 7D to any photographer with interests similar to mine. I studied the manual and purchased a copy of David Busch's book, which travels with me in the car. Take the time to learn the camera and don't be afraid to try different settings (keep notes so you know what you were doing when you review the photos). Most of all, get out and shoot shoot shoot!
on August 22, 2011
On it's merits, it's a fantastic camera that is well covered in other reviews here. If you're trying to decide between this and the 5D Mark II, here's some thoughts to consider.

The 7D is nearly identical to the 5D in terms of specs, in fact beats it in a few areas:
- dual DIGIC processors on the 7D means 2X faster continuous shooting of 18MP RAW stills (the 7D shoots 8fps, just slightly behind the 10fps of their $5k cameras!)
- the 7D has a much better, much improved auto-focus system vs. the 5D
- when shooting video and monitoring on an HD monitor, the 7D works as expected, whereas the 5D drops the signal to standard definition when you hit record, so you're seeing the wrong size and aspect ratio while you film.

In the end, the 5D's only real advantage is its full frame sensor, which will deliver slightly reduced noise, more narrow depth of field and, since there is no cropping, a 50mm lens is 50mm. Those are pretty much the three benefits of the 5D over the 7D. The depth of field issue is the one most often mentioned by those of us who use these cameras for shooting video, but consider this - a crop sensor is roughly 25x17mm, and motion picture film is 22x19mm. In essence, this means you're getting depth of field very similar to what audiences are used to seeing in feature films with the 7D.

The 5D Mark II is almost $1,000 more, so you really have to ask yourself if that extra sensor size is worth it to you. To me, the 7D represents the absolute best balance of cost and performance on the market.
on February 13, 2013
I ordered mine a little late to the game; my Canon 40D had the shutter fail, and I debated long and hard on what would be a true upgrade to that camera, without breaking the bank.

I wasn't in the market for a full frame camera, so that narrowed it down to a used 50D (a new one cost more on Amazon at least than the 7D), the new 60D, or a new 7D.

60D missed a few key points on my check-list - auto-focus is key in motorsports photography, which while not my primary focus is something I do frequently. Build quality was another concern, and it seemed as though Canon really dumbed the 60D down deliberately from the 50D (or 40D for that matter) to save a bit of manufacturing costs. Less dedicated buttons, no joystick, worse auto-focus, and while yes, it is cheaper by a few hundred dollars, my feeling of value for $ just wasn't met.

The 50D I actually really liked; not a super upgrade from the 40D, and if I could have found a new one for $800 I probably would have gone with it. The fact that it cost the same or more than the 7D on every site I could find it on put it right off my list.

Onto the 7D - first, the autofocus. Head and shoulders above the 40D, 50D, and 60D. It's sick. You have to use it to see what I'm talking about, but selectable area from the joystick, or 19 point selection, or autoselect; usable, and fast. I will say that the liveview has more issues with focus than without; this isn't something I use very often, but when I do, its noticeably slower. However, manual focus from liveview is great; a click of the + button and you can go from 5x to 10x magnification on the screen to get that perfect focus - the display is high quality and really helps lock in focus when you use it in this manner. Good for tripod/portrait shots (not something you'd use in situations requiring fast focus anyway)

The menu system and features are very well laid out; if you've used a Canon camera this should all be familiar anyway, and there are a few extra bells and whistles coming from the 40D that I noticed; primarily autofocus but being able to limit autoISO is a nice feature as well (if you own this camera and don't have that, update your firmware). Ridiculously fast burst speed - I mean 8fps is getting close to full motion; if you need speed and don't have $8000 to spend on a camera, the argument is over, get the 7D.

Image quality - better than the 40D which is to be expected, but not lightyears ahead. I'd expect images between the 50D and 7D to be fairly similar. Having the extra pixels to play with is always nice; 18MP for me is fairly future proof. I think excellent results can be had to ISO 1600 - very usable at 3200 for web based images; 6400 ISO is pushing it a bit but still usable for web and black and white.

View finder is excellent. The autofocus and grid display are both unobtrusive and usable. Battery life is great. Camera is actually pretty lightweight, weather sealed as well.

Is it with the $1200 Amazon charges? Yes. Is this a futureproof camera? For a mirrored full sized SLR, I'd say yes. I would never need a FASTER camera than this. I'd be hard pressed to justify more MP than this, even more so on an APS-C sensor. Digital cameras have just come so far from where they were a few years ago, and this being an older camera I think like film cameras of old will end up becoming a classic. I thought about buying this used, but I didn't want to have to worry about the shutter being replaced in a year, so I just bought it new.

Video - no idea. Haven't shot any. Reviews show its fairly awesome, so thats as far as I can go with that.

Honestly, I don't think there is a better Canon APS-C on the market at the moment, and the next version of this will likely cost $600 to $800 more. Hence, I just bought it new, and hope to enjoy it for years. Bottom line, if you need the speed, and the best auto focus system on the market (right up there with the 5D Mark II, Mark III, or 1D Mark II), I think you'd be happy with this purchase.

If you don't and just want a decent APS-C camera? Save a few bucks and get the 60D.