Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 465 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 667 reviews
on June 10, 2017
This was from UTM Inc. fulfilled by Amazon and presented as a U.S. Version. Although neither Amazon nor UTM acknowledged their mistake they both suggested I return the camera. I'm giving it 3 stars because I didn't have the camera long enough for solid feedback and Amazon and UTM made the camera and warranty easy to return. The warranty got processed right away, but I'm still waiting on the camera refund. I was also able to return the CompactFlash without a problem or fee.
I only used the 7D for a few hours but I noticed:
-there was one image taken indoors w/the pop up flash of the cat that my old T3i couldn't match (which might not sound like much but the T3i was/is a great entry level camera)
-the autofocus was problematic (I couldn't see the image in focus through the viewfinder)
-it was heavy
-the layout on the left and dial and joystick on the right were awkward (my cousin's Canon has this same layout and she likes it, so...)
-the menu and functions were close enough to my old EOS to quickly figure out
-it was easy to find a YouTube video to help me change the language to English
-Amazon had a link to the manual in English
-there was no improvement in tricky outdoor sun and shadow shots
-I didn't use it long enough for a good assessment but it felt clunky. Some of the outdoor photos were okay and one indoor was almost good enough to convince me to keep the camera
I decided to return it because the seller seemed adamant that I do so. UTM didn't try to work with me (I sent three emails which they answered in good time) and they do NOT HAVE A WORKING PHONE NUMBER. The Amazon Chat rep was mostly unhelpful but did want to help me with a return (after I said I may want to keep it). He wouldn't help in reporting the product misrepresentation or non-functioning phone number. I should have at least gotten a link or number to report both.
I've done more research and if I wasn't on a budget I'd look at the 5D or a Nikon.
With the exceptional autofocus and low light performance of the 7DM2, I'm considering diving in and hoping I'll get used to the layout.
As for Grey Market or International Versions, Amazon offers an excellent warranty price and a few sellers include a no drip and spills one year warranty to replace Canon's. The instruction manual is easily found online and if you get a camera set to Japanese, it's easy to change to English in the menu.
review image
on May 29, 2013
I am not going to talk your ear off. If you are looking at this camera then you probably have a good idea about it. At the moment it is the flagship camera of Canon's small sensor cameras. It is built like a tank, weighs about the same, but that heft gives you confidence in its build and function. I love it. I have done family portraits to Quinceañeras and it always performs. Remember that lenses that are not specifically made for the crop sensor are going to have a telephoto effect, not a huge issue but something to keep in mind. All of Canons ef lenses will work, of course, on this camera.
The lens that comes with it is a good lens, a great starter lens in fact. But you will want to upgrade. Quality glass is everything.
The onboard flash works well, but dont expect professional results and not beyond 15 feet. Invest in a good flash as well.
I have no regrets in buying this camera, and it really is a joy to use. This can be used as a basic point and shoot, but why would you? It can do so much more. Learn the camera, read the manual, watch online tutorials, then you will start shooting it like it was meant to.
review image review image review image review image
on February 13, 2013
I ordered mine a little late to the game; my Canon 40D had the shutter fail, and I debated long and hard on what would be a true upgrade to that camera, without breaking the bank.

I wasn't in the market for a full frame camera, so that narrowed it down to a used 50D (a new one cost more on Amazon at least than the 7D), the new 60D, or a new 7D.

60D missed a few key points on my check-list - auto-focus is key in motorsports photography, which while not my primary focus is something I do frequently. Build quality was another concern, and it seemed as though Canon really dumbed the 60D down deliberately from the 50D (or 40D for that matter) to save a bit of manufacturing costs. Less dedicated buttons, no joystick, worse auto-focus, and while yes, it is cheaper by a few hundred dollars, my feeling of value for $ just wasn't met.

The 50D I actually really liked; not a super upgrade from the 40D, and if I could have found a new one for $800 I probably would have gone with it. The fact that it cost the same or more than the 7D on every site I could find it on put it right off my list.

Onto the 7D - first, the autofocus. Head and shoulders above the 40D, 50D, and 60D. It's sick. You have to use it to see what I'm talking about, but selectable area from the joystick, or 19 point selection, or autoselect; usable, and fast. I will say that the liveview has more issues with focus than without; this isn't something I use very often, but when I do, its noticeably slower. However, manual focus from liveview is great; a click of the + button and you can go from 5x to 10x magnification on the screen to get that perfect focus - the display is high quality and really helps lock in focus when you use it in this manner. Good for tripod/portrait shots (not something you'd use in situations requiring fast focus anyway)

The menu system and features are very well laid out; if you've used a Canon camera this should all be familiar anyway, and there are a few extra bells and whistles coming from the 40D that I noticed; primarily autofocus but being able to limit autoISO is a nice feature as well (if you own this camera and don't have that, update your firmware). Ridiculously fast burst speed - I mean 8fps is getting close to full motion; if you need speed and don't have $8000 to spend on a camera, the argument is over, get the 7D.

Image quality - better than the 40D which is to be expected, but not lightyears ahead. I'd expect images between the 50D and 7D to be fairly similar. Having the extra pixels to play with is always nice; 18MP for me is fairly future proof. I think excellent results can be had to ISO 1600 - very usable at 3200 for web based images; 6400 ISO is pushing it a bit but still usable for web and black and white.

View finder is excellent. The autofocus and grid display are both unobtrusive and usable. Battery life is great. Camera is actually pretty lightweight, weather sealed as well.

Is it with the $1200 Amazon charges? Yes. Is this a futureproof camera? For a mirrored full sized SLR, I'd say yes. I would never need a FASTER camera than this. I'd be hard pressed to justify more MP than this, even more so on an APS-C sensor. Digital cameras have just come so far from where they were a few years ago, and this being an older camera I think like film cameras of old will end up becoming a classic. I thought about buying this used, but I didn't want to have to worry about the shutter being replaced in a year, so I just bought it new.

Video - no idea. Haven't shot any. Reviews show its fairly awesome, so thats as far as I can go with that.

Honestly, I don't think there is a better Canon APS-C on the market at the moment, and the next version of this will likely cost $600 to $800 more. Hence, I just bought it new, and hope to enjoy it for years. Bottom line, if you need the speed, and the best auto focus system on the market (right up there with the 5D Mark II, Mark III, or 1D Mark II), I think you'd be happy with this purchase.

If you don't and just want a decent APS-C camera? Save a few bucks and get the 60D.
on January 30, 2013
I got two of these for professional use:

The first one was squeeking when the sensor was being cleaned. It drove me crazy and I returned it. I got my replacement and it's silent.

DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! -If something feels off about your camera when you get it, look it up! It could be normal and it could be a major flaw. Know before it's too late so you can get a "good" copy.

Pros:

BEST BODY CONSTRUCTION ON THE MARKET!!!!

8FPS!!!! (Great for wildlife/Action)

AMAZING Servo AF.

GREAT video.

AMAZING outdoor performance.

Feels great in my hands, very sturdy.

Weather sealing

In camera RAW (can save time when prepping a shoot with white balance etc.)

3 custom user image profiles

Great layout, very intuitive for canon users.

Cons:
Not the sharpest camera. After many side by sides with my Rebel Xti, the IQ is pretty much the same unfortunately. I am keeping my old 5D for portraits and landscape/lowlight.

Not so hot in Low light. Try not to push too much above 1000. Decent noise control but it shouldn't need to control it in the first place (Ideally)

Battery grip doesn't match camera grip ergonomics at all.

Battery life could be a touch better.

It suffers from being too awesome sometimes.

Bottom line:

I am NOT sending it back. I am excited to use it for what it was designed for.

If you are strictly a landscape/portrait photographer, get a different camera.

If you are a wildlife photographer, you will LOVE this.

If you are thinking that a better camera will make you a better photographer, save your money and try cooking.

If you have the money and want a great all around camera, go for it!
on August 2, 2012
Not that I have a first actual baby, but it is my second 7D body and it doesn't fail to deliver.

Many directors and such use the 7D for video recording and it is a great camera for it. But as my area is only really in photography, my review will be regarding it and practical information.

The first things you notice through the viewfinder is the incredible 19 point AF point systems. It allows for much better focusing as well as accurate focusing. Secondly, the metering and focus allows the 7D to focus on objects must faster. The viewfinder also looks a lot larger than the lower end cameras such as the 100's or the 10's.

The other surprising factor is the amazing frames per second that you get. It's faster than any other canon camera out and is a true beast when taking pictures of sports games.

The ISO gets up to 6400 but ISO 1600 still gives you amazing photographs.

Shutter is a very important part of shooting and although I won't get near the so called shutter amount it can handle; the shutter feels very good. It doesn't feel plasticky and gives you a little bit of resistance that feels amazing, you have to try one yourself.

Live mode is great to use, the lcd if you can see it doesn't matter much which angle you see it from.

One thing that I thought was a "cool" feature that I didn't think of using much was the digital meter. But after a few photoshoots where a tripod wasn't accessible or impractical, the digital level was a lifesaver! A bubble meter sometimes isn't that great when it comes to anything besides vertical and horizontal being aligned but the camera gives you a great cockpit type view.

Design wise everything is great to handle and feels sturdy. I have sea water splash on the camera a few times and it still goes strong, the weather durable body can take it's fair share of damage. The only one pet peeve is that of the power button. Having it on the left side doesn't help a lot with fast on's, but you get used to sliding your left hand back from the lens and switching the power button with your left thumb. The 8 directional bad reacts well and the toggle as well.
on May 22, 2014
I love the Canon 7D. This is my second one. I have been using one along with my original 20d for a few years now with my pro glass. I got tired of deciding which lens to put in the 20d before each shoot. Buying the second 7d resolved that. I can't say enough about the quality and features of this camera. My advice if you are new to Canon pro and semi pro cameras is to read the manual, take a class or both. I'm always finding new features that I was unaware of.
on September 22, 2016
Thia is an update to a previous review. After owning the camera for 6 years I just wanted to say how much fun I have enjoyed using the camera and leaning about how to use the many controls and features built into the camera. The camera worked much better with improved image quality after the two or three firmware updates (I am not sure what Canon changed but images taken had more consistent exposure after updates). Four stars due decreased image quality under low light conditions, but the &D earns the other four stars in features and build quality. I believe the middle level/semi-pro bodies provide what the entry level cameras lack in dust and water seals to the metal body. As a statement and example of how long the middle level camera bodies stay a usable tool (above entry below pro) the Canon 7D proved to me that this is the way to go for the money. Use great lenses and will be looking forward to a 7DM2 or 5DM4 in my future with more freelance work. Use the L 70-200mm 2.8,L 28-70mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 580 EX Flash, with an off brand battery grip, and several kit lenses 18-55mm.
on May 28, 2010
Canon 7D is an advanced Canon EOS DSLR camera designed primarily for sports and action photography. EOS 7D is a step up (not replacement) of Canon 40D and 50D. It has similar body like 40D/50D but the buttons and switches has been repositioned for better accessibility.

There are plenty of improvements from 40D/50D line, such as improved image resolution (18 mp), better noise handling and latitude, full HD video recording, 8 fps continuous shooting and improved weather sealing.

Canon 7D weights 900 g or just 90 g heavier than 50D, and has exact dimension 148 x 111 x 74 mm (5.8 x 4.4 x 2.9 in) as 50D. It is make from magnesium alloy body which is lightweight and durable. Unlike entry level cameras, 7D is weather resistant.

Canon 7D has two main dials (one thumb dial and one round dial), an 8 ways joystick and plenty of dedicated buttons and switches. It has dedicated live view button for still or video recording. It also has Q menu, which enable you to see and change popular setting such as exposure compensation, image quality, etc.

7D also has camera mode dials which include full auto, creative auto (CA), P, Tv, Av, M, Bulb and three custom setting. There are no scene modes which are popular in entry level DSLR and compact cameras.

I find finding and changing setting in 7D is easy and fast. Maybe this is due because I used Canon 40D for about two years. If you are new to Canon advanced DSLR, it might take a while to get use to, but it will not be hard.

IMAGE QUALITY

Many cynics complain about Canon decision to increase its image resolution. Most photographers afraid that noise will be awful in images taken in high ISO setting. However, I found that this is not the case. Image quality and noise are excellent up to ISO 3200. ISO 6400 is very acceptable especially after you remove the color noise in software like Adobe Lightroom 3.

18 megapixel is great, however it has a couple consequences. First, the filesize is huge event in JPG. Average file size is around 10-15 megapixel (L quality). Second, it requires an excellent lens to take advantage of the resolution or to make it tack sharp.

18-135mm LENS

Unlike Canon full frame or APS sensor cameras, Canon 7D is compatible with any Canon EOS lens, including EF-S and EF lenses. In this review, I used Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. This lens is quite good for walk around lens due to its focal length (equivalent to 28-216mm).

It is wide enough for to capture building, and long enough for candids). Image stabilization feature is helpful up to 3-4 stops. The lens does not have USM / Ultrasonic motor, so it produces a bit of noise when focusing. However, focusing speed is very good either for still or moving subjects.

Bokeh / out of focus rendition is soft and pleasing. It is much pleasing than regular 18-55mm VR kit lens. However, it depth of field is still quite large because of the sensor size and big maximum aperture.

To get a very sharp image and get full advantage of Canon 7D 18 mp sensor, better lenses are recommended, such as Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens for Canon DSLR Cameras or Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM UD Wide Angle Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras. Canon L series lenses are also recommended.

AUTO FOCUS PERFORMANCE

Canon has improved its auto focus system from 9 points (40D/50D line) to 19 points system. With the additional all cross type AF points, auto focus is fast and accurate. New to AF system is Zone system.

Zone AF is Automatic AF point selection, but restricted to a small cluster of AF points in the viewfinder. By grouping several AF points in a cluster, it become easier and more accurate in tracking fast and unpredictable moving subjects such as sport photography. In short, AF system are much better than Canon previous DSLR cameras.

To learn more about this auto focus sytem, Canon has provide a tutorial videos and descriptions.

There are plenty to like about Canon 7D

+ Many dedicated buttons, easy and fast to change settings
+ New AF system works very well, simple and customizable
+ Noise is very well controlled up to ISO 3200, 6400 is acceptable
+ Big and bright viewfinder with 100% coverage
+ Excellent 8 fps continuous shooting
+ Sound of the shutter click is soft, and low. (not "ka-ching")
+ Auto ISO works a lot more accurate than in 40D
+ New Quick Menu make reviewing or changing setting easier
+ 5 stops exposure compensation

On the other hand, these are what I don't like about 7D

- No Auto ISO limiter like in Nikon cameras or Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MP CMOS APS-C Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only)
- Auto ISO is limited only to ISO 3200
- Relatively big and heavy
- No dedicated button for exposure compensation (you need to go to Q menu to change it)
- Auto focus in live view is a joke, it takes up to 3 seconds to lock focus

COMPETITORS

Nikon D300s 12MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Nikon D300s is an arch rival of Canon 7D and the only one at this moment. It fell short in some areas such as image resolution (18 mp vs 12 mp), and video recording (full HD vs 720p). However, D300s has some unique feature such as 51 AF points and dual card slots (Compact and SD card).

CONCLUSION

I highly regard Canon EOS 7D as the almost perfect advanced camera today and it is quite hard to imagine what could still be improved in this camera. It has several downside such as Auto ISO is limited to 3200, and AF in live view is still very sluggish. Sports and action photographers will love this camera.

Subjective Rating - Relative to advanced DSLR cameras of 2010

Image Quality : 5/5
Features : 5/5
Performance : 5/5
Body and Handling : 4/5
Value for Money : 4/5

For image samples and ISO comparison, or other reviews, please visit my blog. You can find my blog address from my profile page. Thanks for reading.
55 comments| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2017
Canon EOS 7D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera Body Only (discontinued by manufacturer)
I got the camera body and it looks pretty much how I expected, there was some wear and tear, but it works, takes great pictures and video. This purchase was for the use of a second camera to match my same (newer) model. I was surprised to also receive the following: 1. Video/Digital Camera Charger transformer with car lighter adapter (not sure if this works yet); 2. 32 Gig Compact Flash Card; 3. Canon Li-ion battery; Canon 18-55mm lens in mint condition and works beautifully, in fact a really great lens. I am pleased and got way more than I expected, and it arrived timely! Would definitely order from this seller again. I feel like I got MORE than my money's worth.
on June 17, 2010
It is not a 5D MkII. It is not a 50D. It is a near-perfect compromise between the two.
In the 7D is a combination of resolution (18MP) and speed (8fps) which makes it an extremely versatile camera. Canon improved the high ISO performance, providing a 1 to 1.5 stop improvement. So, ISO 3200 looks like 1600. And with the ISO 6400 and 12800 you can see in the dark. However, ISO 12800 should only be used in dire emergencies. The 18MP allows for more aggressive cropping and more detailed prints at the larger sizes. The per-pixel detail is also excellent.

The new AF system is both versatile, sophisticated, fast, and accurate (even at f1.4). I recommend dedicating some time to the manual and practicing with its many features because there is a little learning curve to extract the potential of the new AF. Added bonus with the new system are: ability to use any point for AI Servo, prioritizing focus over speed or visa versa, and AF point expansion.

The 100% viewfinder is great and bright, enabling true WYSWYG composition and improved manual focusing. A grid, AF points, and other information can be toggled on and off to help with composition and alignment.

A totally new and LONG OVERDUE feature is the ability to use the pop-up flash to control remote flashes. It works very well, especially indoors, triggering your remotes. Only situations I would resort to my 580EX II for triggering is if I'm outside in bright sun, flashes are at odd angles, or the flashes are far away. Aside from the those situations, the pop-up flash as a trigger works very well.

It looks like Canon did a great job listening to its photographers and trends in photojournalism. This camera has the resolution and image quality for portraiture, but also the speed and ISO range for sports and photojournalism. Speed, resolution, and 1080p HD video makes the EOS 7D an excellent all-in-one and the best pro-sumer camera to date ... yes, even better than the Nikon 300 and Nikon 300s.

CONS:
- No dual CF slots.
- No 1D-level weather sealing (I would gladly have paid extra for it)
- Incandescent WB preset still not close enough.

Recommended accessories:
- Sandisk Extreme 8GB UDMA CF card(s)
- BG-E7 battery grip and extra battery
- Domke GRIPPER camera strap
- LaCIE Rugged 500GB External HDD
review image review image review image