Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on January 23, 2017
The bottom line is this is a fantastic vlogging camera, which is the specific reason I bought it. If you're not interested in 4k, if you're a 1 man band, or just someone that wants to shoot a lot of great material and get it out to the world fast, this might be the camera for you.

Already being the owner of a Canon 5D mark iii and mark iv, I am very familiar with the Canon brand. I do both still photography and videography, equally.

I endeavored to help my wife start up a lifestyle vlog, and did a lot of research on cameras before picking this one. It made a lot of sense to me because I already own a lot of high-end Canon glass. However, owning full frame cameras, I don't have too many super wide angle lenses, that are better for this APC-S sized sensor. Please see below for a detailed analysis.

VIDEOGRAPHY:

Pros:
-I love the articulating touch screen. To me, this is the main reason this camera beats the pants off of my 5D's for shooting video. You can place this camera high or low, left or right, face it at you or behind you, and turn the screen to see it. You can tap on the screen to focus or adjust properties easily.

-Facial auto focus works really great! I know there is an upgraded camera (80D) that makes this better. But honestly, if you are looking to save some money, just get this camera. You're gonna be happy with the autofocus. It's fine.

-Compared to my bigger cameras, this guy is really light weight

-The menus are easy to navigate

-the footage looks amazing

-Shoots 24p

-Sound is straightforward. You need an off camera mic, and you preferably want a powered mic so you can use the mic gain and not the camera's gain to get less hiss.

-Can use any EF or EF-S lens.So you you are a canon shooter, you've got a head start

-Takes pretty nice photos too! Since I didn't buy this for photos, admittedly I haven't delved in. I would, truthfully, use my 5D Mark IV for a photo shoot. But for me, when I am out there shooting video, if I want to snap a few stills, this guy works great.

Cons:
-Not 4k (this is not a con for me, but if you want 4k, look elsewhere)

-Not a high quality/high bit-depth format. (Again, this is not a huge deal for me. I'm about story and speed over noodling with quality. I also own a BMPCC, and yes, shooting raw 10 or 12 bit is amazing... but you have to CC everything, do online/offline workflows, etc. so this is really more of a preference than a con. You have to know what you want to do. I think this camera wins for vlogging

-Not as great with low light as other cameras. This camera caps off at ISO 6400. But realistically you wanna be at 800, 1600 max if you are good with seeing some noise. On my Mark IV I can shoot at 6400 and see no visible noise. But I mean, the Mark IV is like thousands of dollars more, so it's not a great comparison.

-Its not full frame. Not a huge problem, neither was the Alexa I've shot TV shows on for years. But, if you want full frame, this ain't it. So you need wider aperture lenses or to shoot really long lens if you want to get shallow depth of field.

LENSES:
On lenses, I did pick it up with the 18-55mm kit lens, then also bought the little 2.8 24mm pancake lens. They're both great lenses, actually... for the cost. The 18-55 has stabilization, so is better for hand held stuff, but needs more light. The 24mm makes the camera super light to carry, and also looks nice at 2.8. Both of these lenses autofocus great with the camera.

So I disagree with some reviews out there that say don't get the kit lens. These days canon makes them pretty good and they are cheap in comparison to other lenses. So unless you have all the glass you need - get the kit lens. I usually get the short zoom kit lens because they are sharper and faster.

Having used this camera for a few weeks, I really want to get something wider like the canon 10-22 or the sigma equivalent. I think there are times when being at a 10 to 14mm, especially out doors, would be helpful. I have not used either of these two lenses, my widest lens that is not a fisheye is the canon 15mm zoom.

CONCLUSION:
This camera may be on the older side right now, but I have to tell you I like it better for videography than my Mark IV. it's just so much faster and easier to use, and doesn't make you're wrist feel like it is going to break off. And because it is older, you can get it cheaper.

Don't let all the posts and videos about technical quality hold you back from just going out there and creating. At the end of the day, it's about your talent and your stories. Tell them. I've seen big TV shows with Alexa's suck. I've seem people do amazing things with iPhones. It's not the cameras, its you and how you use them.

So if you're gonna go tell stories, and you have about $1200 bucks to do so, get this camera, the kit lens, and an on camera mic. That's all you need. I promise you.
117 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on November 15, 2017
I've had this camera just 4 years and absolutely loved it. I would've given it 5 stars a month ago, but since then, I got the dreaded error 80. $500 to fix a defect Canon is well aware of. Why has this not been recalled? Do a little research on error 80 or focus issues on the 70d and you will find both are common. So disappointed and just...heartbroken. I have a small fortune invested in Canon glass and no camera!
17 people found this helpful
on November 15, 2016
I made the switch from Nikon (D3100) to Canon about one year ago. I started using DSLR's mainly for videos on YouTube and dabbling in photography. Although I would say my Nikon was more user friendly for beginners- settings wise, this was definitely the step up I needed. The main reason for making the switch was to find a camera that worked best for a one man show. The Canon 70D does everything for me and makes it that much easier. It's fast auto focus makes it easy to just hit record and start my video. I never have to ask myself "am I in focus?" or find myself surprised when I upload the footage into Sony Vegas. The flip out screen also helps in framing the shot by myself. Overall I upgraded to make my life easier when it came to filming, and it did just that. If you are purchasing this camera for beginner photography, I always recommend the T6i's to get to know the basics. But if you're willing to splurge a little, I say hey why not. I love how quick the camera is in shooting photos and I never have to feel like i'm missing a shot. The LCD screen is also seamless and is very true to color.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
48 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
Previously I had only used a Canon T3i and I was looking to upgrade to something that took better photos and video. This camera takes wonderful photos and the video is amazing as well. For myself, video is its primary function and photos second and the STM and image stabilization work wonderfully well. The focus is always spot on and you can even adjust the focus point by touching the touch screen to a certain point. There is very little noise as it auto focuses and as long as you stay smoothly moving, it automatically keeps up and in focus.
I bought 2 extra batteries as sometimes while on the road I don't have access or time to charge them but the battery life is pretty good even when shooting video. The standard audio is well what you would expect so I also use a Rode external mic that runs off the battery. I had worried that the mic would be a big drain but that's not the case and the audio difference is drastically improved.
It's noticeably larger and heavier than my T3i but you quickly get used to the added size and now the T3i seems almost small.
The kit lens that came with it is relatively lightweight and takes great photos and video throughout its focal lengths. I also bought a 10-18mm to get some wider shots and between the two lens I can do a great deal of the shooting I need to accomplish.
If you are looking to step up in cameras, this is a great choice in my opinion with much better results in video or photos than my T3i which has served me well and still is in use albeit a bit more limited these days. Depending on what you're going to be shooting the 18-135mm covers a lot of ground and is a good overall first lense. If you can afford it and need some wider shots check out the 10-18mm and with both you should be covered.

I do wish it had come with a lens hood and lens cover but I guess Canon figures you'll buy them separately which I did. There's choices that are just as good as the Canon options and work just as well and they're worth the few extra bucks you'll spend to protect your lenses.
7 people found this helpful
on February 8, 2017
 I just absolutely love this - I have been able to learn so much, and have a great time with it. Couple of things that I have had to get over it:
a. the speed for fast moving objects - 7.5 fps is not enough
b. the writing speed of the SD card - The Extream-Pro UHS-I helped - it doesn't support UHS-II
c. the multi-point focus / autofocus can be hard to use and can make you miss fast action shots, or low lighting shots
d. not being a 1 for 1 from what you see on the viewfinder to what the actual picture - you have to compensate

the stock lens is good enough - but if you really want to unleash its fullest potential investing in a better lens is paramount
review imagereview imagereview image
5 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I am a new youtube / blogger and wanted to pic upgrade the quality of the video on my channel and on my webpage. Also be able to take awesome pictures of family and life experiences. I wanted a camera that would have a quiet auto zoom for video and image stabilization built in. Also one that would be easy to use for a beginner. Out of the box it was intimidating at first with all the controls but I was able to set everything to auto and get started recording right away. Instruction manual is great so I am able to make some adjustments and learn my camera however other instructional videos on Youtube are making it much easier for me to learn the fantastic controls on my camera. I did also purchase a 64 gig Sd card so I would have more than enough storage for Video. Canon EOS 70D Video Creator Kit with 18-135mm Lens, Rode VIDEOMIC GO and Sandisk 32GB SD Card Class 10 - Wi-Fi Enabled
4 people found this helpful
on January 15, 2016
Excellent beginner camera for any Video shooters.

I've been using the Canon 70d for about 2 years now. I am in the process of purchasing my third one. I produce music videos, wedding videos, promotional films, and similar types of video. Occasionally my work ends up on TV, and the quality has never disappointed.

I get comments all the time about how amazing the color saturation is, it is really so awesome.

Most Videographers in my field use a Canon 5D Mark iii but I flat out refuse to upgrade.

What I rely on the most with this camera is the articulating screen, that is touch sensitive, along with the Dual Pixel Auto Focus. All of these features are unavailable on the higher end Canon cameras. I am not going to lie, I would LOVE a full frame sensor, but I am not willing to lose the other HUGE benefits of this camera just to get a full frame sensor. One day I would hope that Canon will offer a DSLR that offers the articulating, touch screen with Dual Pixel AF, that has a full frame sensor.

The Canon C100 has a great constant autofocus, but it only focuses in the center of the frame, which makes it hard to frame up the way that I would like most of the time.
5 people found this helpful
on July 5, 2015
Just upgraded my 8 year old EOS Rebel with the 70D and the results are amazing. Granted, technology has greatly improved, but once you learn how to use the features, I've gotten some great results. The most commonly changed functions are easily accessible from the touch screen.
review imagereview imagereview image
14 people found this helpful
on May 8, 2015
If you are someone who wants the best, but you ha ve no plans on becoming a professional, this is the camera for you. This camera is for anyone who loves to photograph a variety subjects. Not only is for still shots, but also has good video capabilities with the ability to attach m icrophones to obtain stereo videos. Ir may cost more than comprable cameras, but it is well worth it. If you are a point and shoot person forget it here. You have work to learn all the things you can do with this camera, but in the end you will be happy. If you are really serious about becoming a much better photographer buy "David Busch's Canon EOS 70D Guide to Digital SLR Photography." It is over 400 pages and explains everything in detail. In the field, the "Compact Field Guide for Canon 70D" will save you time and grief. Take gtreat pcture with these guicdes and you will spend much less time on the computer trying to fix your photographs.
6 people found this helpful
on October 18, 2015
I just returned from a Rhine River Cruise and am ready to comment on the 70D. I've been a dedicated amateur for over 40 years and have been shooting with a 5DIII for the past two. I was intrigued with the real time auto focus and thought the 70D could replace my camcorder while traveling and maybe even the 5DIII. However, I took both bodies and three lenses, the 16-35 L IS, 24-105 L IS, and the 70-300 L IS. If you want a very technical review I would suggest; http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/. This is a great site for honest reviews.

So here goes. Before leaving for Europe, we took the grandkids to a fair with lots of rides. It was a sunny day with tons of light. The realtime auto focus worked perfectly. The video blew away my Canon XA10, but since the cam isn 't shooting through "L" glass, that makes sense. I used the 24-105 L IS, which became a 38-168 on the 70D. That's a great range for video. The lens focused quickly, but quietly. The 16-35 L IS focuses faster, but is very noisy making it a not great choice for video. The 70-300L IS is OK, slightly noisy. In Europe, I started out carrying both bodies, the 5DIII with the 16-35 and the 70D with the 24-105. Great for quick shots without having to change lenses. The 16-35 was especially useful in those narrow streets with great architecture. On the 5DIII, it's truly 16mm. On the 70D, you would need a 10mm lens and they get very pricey. Comparing image quality isn't very fair, since there's a big difference between the camera's in size and cost. The 70D's image is very good and if you weren't doing a direct comparison, is more than acceptable. However, the images on the 5DIII just "pop", even in Raw without tweaking. The color saturation, especially the sky, looks like there's a polarizer on. The 70D's are almost as good after some computer processing. All in all, very impressive for that level of camera. Video was a mixed bag. In bright sunlight; awesome. In a "lounge" setting with low light, some focus hunting and lots of grain. The superior ISO of the 5DIII really shows up here; but then it doesn't real time focus. A 5D with realtime auto focus would be the ticket!

Bottom line: This is an incredible value. Unless you're a camera geek like me, it will do just about everything you could want in a relatively compact, inexpensive package. Stick on some "L" glass and you've got a winner.
13 people found this helpful