Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Too and the conflicts PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 740 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 872 reviews
on January 23, 2017
The bottom line is this is a fantastic vlogging camera, which is the specific reason I bought it. If you're not interested in 4k, if you're a 1 man band, or just someone that wants to shoot a lot of great material and get it out to the world fast, this might be the camera for you.

Already being the owner of a Canon 5D mark iii and mark iv, I am very familiar with the Canon brand. I do both still photography and videography, equally.

I endeavored to help my wife start up a lifestyle vlog, and did a lot of research on cameras before picking this one. It made a lot of sense to me because I already own a lot of high-end Canon glass. However, owning full frame cameras, I don't have too many super wide angle lenses, that are better for this APC-S sized sensor. Please see below for a detailed analysis.

VIDEOGRAPHY:

Pros:
-I love the articulating touch screen. To me, this is the main reason this camera beats the pants off of my 5D's for shooting video. You can place this camera high or low, left or right, face it at you or behind you, and turn the screen to see it. You can tap on the screen to focus or adjust properties easily.

-Facial auto focus works really great! I know there is an upgraded camera (80D) that makes this better. But honestly, if you are looking to save some money, just get this camera. You're gonna be happy with the autofocus. It's fine.

-Compared to my bigger cameras, this guy is really light weight

-The menus are easy to navigate

-the footage looks amazing

-Shoots 24p

-Sound is straightforward. You need an off camera mic, and you preferably want a powered mic so you can use the mic gain and not the camera's gain to get less hiss.

-Can use any EF or EF-S lens.So you you are a canon shooter, you've got a head start

-Takes pretty nice photos too! Since I didn't buy this for photos, admittedly I haven't delved in. I would, truthfully, use my 5D Mark IV for a photo shoot. But for me, when I am out there shooting video, if I want to snap a few stills, this guy works great.

Cons:
-Not 4k (this is not a con for me, but if you want 4k, look elsewhere)

-Not a high quality/high bit-depth format. (Again, this is not a huge deal for me. I'm about story and speed over noodling with quality. I also own a BMPCC, and yes, shooting raw 10 or 12 bit is amazing... but you have to CC everything, do online/offline workflows, etc. so this is really more of a preference than a con. You have to know what you want to do. I think this camera wins for vlogging

-Not as great with low light as other cameras. This camera caps off at ISO 6400. But realistically you wanna be at 800, 1600 max if you are good with seeing some noise. On my Mark IV I can shoot at 6400 and see no visible noise. But I mean, the Mark IV is like thousands of dollars more, so it's not a great comparison.

-Its not full frame. Not a huge problem, neither was the Alexa I've shot TV shows on for years. But, if you want full frame, this ain't it. So you need wider aperture lenses or to shoot really long lens if you want to get shallow depth of field.

LENSES:
On lenses, I did pick it up with the 18-55mm kit lens, then also bought the little 2.8 24mm pancake lens. They're both great lenses, actually... for the cost. The 18-55 has stabilization, so is better for hand held stuff, but needs more light. The 24mm makes the camera super light to carry, and also looks nice at 2.8. Both of these lenses autofocus great with the camera.

So I disagree with some reviews out there that say don't get the kit lens. These days canon makes them pretty good and they are cheap in comparison to other lenses. So unless you have all the glass you need - get the kit lens. I usually get the short zoom kit lens because they are sharper and faster.

Having used this camera for a few weeks, I really want to get something wider like the canon 10-22 or the sigma equivalent. I think there are times when being at a 10 to 14mm, especially out doors, would be helpful. I have not used either of these two lenses, my widest lens that is not a fisheye is the canon 15mm zoom.

CONCLUSION:
This camera may be on the older side right now, but I have to tell you I like it better for videography than my Mark IV. it's just so much faster and easier to use, and doesn't make you're wrist feel like it is going to break off. And because it is older, you can get it cheaper.

Don't let all the posts and videos about technical quality hold you back from just going out there and creating. At the end of the day, it's about your talent and your stories. Tell them. I've seen big TV shows with Alexa's suck. I've seem people do amazing things with iPhones. It's not the cameras, its you and how you use them.

So if you're gonna go tell stories, and you have about $1200 bucks to do so, get this camera, the kit lens, and an on camera mic. That's all you need. I promise you.
22 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 24, 2015
The full-time continuous autofocus on this camera (in video mode) is absolutely brilliant. Compared to other cameras like the Nikon D7100 it's not even a fair comparison. It's more fair to compare the 70D with higher-end pro HD camcorders, because the face/object tracking is so good it blows all the other DSLRs out of the water... even other Canons.

I've only had this camera for a few weeks, but I have found myself shooting much more video than taking still photos. With my previous camera (a Nikon D7000) I rarely ever shot video, because it didn't autofocus. Even the newer Nikons autofocus, but you can see them hunt back and forth for focus point during shots. The Canon 70D is smooth and stays on subject 98% of the time.

The STM lenses aren't perfect, I have the 18-135 that came with the camera and the 10-18 STM lens as well. They don't have very wide maximum apertures, so they aren't great in low light. But the 70D isn't bad at high ISOs so even shooting at night, there's not that much noise... not enough to make the footage unusable anyway. And they're almost completely silent, unlike my Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, which you can hear clearly even with a hotshoe-mounted microphone instead of the on-camera audio. The focus is fast and dead on.

I also love the flip-out LCD viewfinder. It's great for vlogging, which is why I bought the camera. This is really *THE* DSLR if you want to shoot video on a non-professional budget.
I've been more than happy with this camera. It's seen lots of use (and some light abuse) for 3 years and still works great. Even today it's still a worthy camera. Sitting in basically the middle of the Canon lineup (when it was release), it offered a build quality and features above the Rebel line and just below the semi and pro cameras. For anyone that wants a nice camera and feels they may outgrow a Rebel camera or wants more configuration options/control, but can't afford a 6D/7D or higher, this is a great choice. It has proven to be very reliable for me. I've taken it on many hikes (with it bouncing around), used it the cold (snow) and light rain (covering it the best I could) and it's never let me down.

I don't do a lot of video, but what I have done turned out nice. It may not have the video features some other cameras, but the DPAF and touch screen are really nice. I find the 1080p video to be fine. You're not going to make feature films with it, but that's not what it's really designed for. I've used almost all the STM lenses on it and they all focus smoothly and quietly, but I still recommend using an external mic.

With still photos I don't really have any complaints. It's focused well with all the lenses I've put on it except for the 50mm 1.8 II, but that's more the lens than the camera. Noise at high ISOs is tolerable, especially if you're not making huge prints.

Overall I highly recommend this camera. If it has the features you want/need and is in your price range, you can't go wrong with it.
on July 29, 2014
I like this camera. While the image quality is not quite up to the level of my former 5DM2, the images are mostly very good (the auto focus has the occasional miss). At about the same time I bought this Canon 70D, I also bought a Nikon D7100. With each camera I have a 35mm lens attached (35 f2 IS on the Canon and 35f1.8 DX on the Nikon). While dxomark rates the sensor on the D7100 about 20% higher than the sensor on the 70D, I find I like the images from the 70D a little bit better (I shoot only RAW so I can't rate the jogs). The reason for my preference is the 70D images have a little bit more contrast and don't look nearly as "digital" (maybe a little more film-like) as the images from the Nikon.

My biggest complaint about the 70D is that in order to shoot a video (regardless of length) one has to flip a switch and then press the video record button… flipping the switch is an unnecessary extra step (it's possible I'm making the extra step because I have not read the manual to see if there is an alternative procedure).

Overall I'd recommend the 70D to anyone who is in the market for a nice APS-sized DSLR (in other words, if you don't want to spend the extra money for the Canon 6D or Nikon D610). If Amazon had half-stars, I'd rate this 70D 4.5 stars.
on January 6, 2014
I purchased this to replace a 60D, which I really enjoyed. But I wanted better video performance and better high speed focusing as my daughter zips around on a spirited young horse and will be competing a lot this summer. So I picked up the 70D just before the holidays. Don't know exactly why, but I ended up with an array of excellent (for me) photos, both of people (not staged) and of a snowy beach scene at sunset. The landscapes were probably the finest and most distinct I've ever come up with. Perhaps it's just that the lowlight capability of the 70D is stronger, but I've been delighted with how well the camera performed (in really cold weather, I might add). And I haven't even had a chance to put this to the horsebacking riding test--though I got some lovely bird shots. So all in all, I haven't begun to truly tap the full capacity of this camera, but it has already proven to be a stellar performer. I'm an enthusiast who has little time for post-processing and who can only take photos on weekends, so I don't pretend to be particularly knowledgable. But I've learned enough about horse photography, in particular, to have a few folks want my photos for their websites--and the 70D looks like it will expand the range in which I'll be able to operate. No problems yet, nothing that I've found problematic. Just a really good camera that will take me years to really learn but will provide me with strong photos and videos.
I've upgraded from a t1i, so I am VERY happy with this camera. It's a great camera, but enough people have brought up its strong points, so here are some things I am disappointed with that I haven't seen in the reviews.

In Camera HDR will only work if you're shooting in JPEG! And it won't save the individual shots, only the final blended image. I never planned on using the In Camera HDR image as a final image to begin with, but I thought it would be awesome to take HDR photos, then see a little preview of the result before going back home to edit. But it is still a neat little feature. I'll just have to take more steps while shooting to utilize it. Switch to JPEG, shoot the In Camera HDR, enjoy the preview, then go back to RAW and shoot for the real HDR photo. I hope they have a firmware upgrade that allows HDR to be shot in RAW, and for the individual exposures to be saved as well.

The same is true for multiple exposures. It won't save the individual images; only the final result. That's what you would get from film, but digital shouldn't be held to that same limitation. At least this one can be saved in RAW format.

Those were two features I was really looking forward to having fun with, but I guess I'll stick to the old ways of taking them individually and throwing them into Photoshop. It's not a deal breaker by any means.

And their creative filters suck compared to my girlfriend's Nikon's creative filters.. Again, these are not features I was going to take seriously, but I like to have fun with my photos until I get home to get serious (well, I like to have fun in Photoshop there too).

I do LOVE having the ability to process RAW images to JPEG in camera! It saves on space not to have to shoot all images in RAW+JPEG to get my camera's settings to stick to the images (since Adobe strips those (customized) color profile settings away when editing the RAW files (even their "camera standard" , etc., is not how my camera standard, etc., is set up in camera)).

Oh, one MAJOR flaw with this camera is that there isn't a sensor by the view finder to turn the screen off when looking through it! The work around to this is to half press the shutter to get it turned off. Or keep the screen off and only turned on when Quick Menu is pressed, but I like having it stay on so I can constantly easily access it.

And to be clear, that awesome AF feature only works when Live View is turned on, not when you're looking through the view finder. Through the view finder is just as it's always been.

Aside from those minor issues, this is an amazing camera. Very well under low light, so much less noise at higher ISOs than my old t1i. Great tonal range, and beautiful color range. I love the little leveler in the viewfinder. Being able to access my images from the camera's wifi onto my phone is awesome (though it's just a JPEG format, and my phone can handle RAW (at least, that's what some of these apps have claimed that I haven't tested out yet)). Still, better quality than what my phone produces ;p. Love that it has a mic input, a lacking feature in my t1i that made it useless, though not impossible, for serious video work.

Oh, and there is a night mode that takes multiple shots and aligns them together additively to reduce motion blur from one long shutter realease! Haven't tested this one out yet, hope it saves in RAW! If not, at least reading about that feature taught me a new technique for night shots that I can achieve in Photoshop.
on July 2, 2015
This Camera has been with me for the almost two years it's been out.

I've aimed to take my photography seriously and professionally and let me just say - Jumping in head first instead of taking baby steps with a t3i series camera seemed to do the trick. I've studied, I've worked hard and I've gotten better and better at my photography. This camera has easily became more of a life-long soul partner with the experiences of everything I've learned with it. Between learning the white balance, mainly using manual (Aperture control or Bulb in a few other cases.) and learning how to quickly get in and out of focus, I've really gotten to experience what it is to be a competent photographer and don't have a thing to complain about when using my 70D.

Infact the only issue I have now is that I wish Canon would send me more of those expensive lens for free so I can get a chance to experience faster shutter speeds, but alas this is not a perfect world.

I've gotten a chance to use both photo and video side of things and both work exceedingly well without need for editing. Using lightroom or final cut for the photos/videos only make the photos turn out exceptionally amazing from what they already are. The flow of being able to switch my white balance, aperture, iso and etc. easily from the quick view makes it an enjoyable experience and having a favorite menu list only makes accessing more extensive stuff smoother when I'm in the middle of serious shoots. It gets even better knowing that I can easily make composite photos or take some unedited photos and just toss them on my phone easily due to the cellphone app and wireless feature of the camera.

This thing is a beast and adding better lens/flashes to said beast only makes it unleash a grizzlier beast. I may be rambling, but trust and believe that this camera is worth the money and that the lens is a decent starter lens to go with. I've read before that some had issues with their AF features on first purchases, but I was fortunate enough to not experience that issue, so for someone who got a fully capable working 70D - my say is to go ahead and get it unless you're wealthy enough to get yourself a 5DS R.
on January 3, 2014
TOUCHSCREEN
I love the touchscreen on this camera. It's surprisingly accurate, responsive, and fluid. For previewing pictures, it recognizes pinch and zoom and swipe gestures. It's large and bright with a very sharp display.

ISO CAPACITY
This camera has amazing ISO. I spent Christmas at a relative's house with a new baby. Unfortunately, the whole house was dimly lit, so I was glad the 70D had some great ISO. I used 3200 ISO with a 60-80 shutter speed to get the exposure right and came away with some great baby shots. The noise in the photos is minimal and the color in the photo is still vivid and accurate.

WIFI CAPABILITY & SETUP EFFORT
At first I was disappointed with the WiFi on this camera because it was kind of complicated to set up the first time (no thanks to the vague instruction manual - try YouTube for better tutorials), but once I had it set up, it's been great and connects quite quickly when WiFi is enabled. If you're out in the field without Internet, you can set the camera up to act as a WiFi access point to preview or transfer photos to your smartphone or tablet. However, if you're downloading pictures to your device, a real internet connection will be faster than using the camera as an access point. I think there is room for improvement with the WiFi system and I'm sure they'll be streamlining it in the future.

KIT LENS
I haven't used the kit lens much so I can't elaborate on it a lot. I usually shoot with a 24-105mm lens, so this lens feels a little cheaper than the L quality I'm accustomed to. But overall, it seemed like a nice lens and shoots nice pictures.

BATTERY LIFE
Without WiFi the battery life is quite good. I could probably do an entire day of shooting with the WiFi off without changing batteries. With WiFi on (especially when the camera is acting as the access point), the battery goes pretty quickly. However, as long as you have a backup along, you'll be fine. I purchased two off-brand batteries as backups to the Canon battery, and I've never been left stranded yet and I use the WiFi a lot.

SUMMARY
Overall this is a great camera and I highly recommend it!
on July 29, 2015
As a young man I owned a commercial photolab, took processed and printed literally millions of pictures of professional quality. I'm pretty confident about my photography knowledge whether it's old school or DSLR. Cameras are still about lenses, but if the focus stinks, then all the megapixels and expensive glass won't matter. I prefer crop sensor cameras because I need longer fast lenses for what I shoot and the prices of fast f2 100mm and 135mm lenses are a quarter of a fast f2 200mm. Those sorts of lenses on a T5i vs a 70D was a real eye opener. Where the T5i would struggle and seldom succeed at focusing sports shots, the 70D did it much more often. Not even close comparison... stills or video, but especially video. The T5i was very disappointing at its ability to track and focus and the 70D makes it look easy. A dozen or so other nifty 70D features along with its superior focusing make it more than worth the ~$400 over the T5i if you're shooting telephoto action shots. Less dramatic are the less demanding 50mm and 24mm lengths, but even with my old eyes, I see a significant difference between the two cameras ability to focus. Shutter lag in the T5i is also a consideration as practically speaking, camera shake was introduced more easily I believe. There was nothing wrong with the T5i body. If you had the time to make sure it got the focus right and your subject was an easy target, it was sharp. So I conclude the 70D is just superior at the fundamental task of focusing, a task that if not done well, all the money for glass and sensor won't matter. Guess I could go back to the stone ages and manually focus, but that sort of defeats the point : ) of all the gadgetry.
on March 3, 2016
I have taken pictures with this camera that no other camera I have had has been able to get. With the wide ISO range, I can be inside a dimly lit room, without a flash and still be over 1/8 of a second. My aperture only opens to 3.5, so don't think I'm talking a 1.2 aperture setting or anything. My lens is $150 and this camera uses all the available resources to pull out great pictures, no matter the lighting. Graininess is a thing of the past. Even with my ISO in the 11000 range, noise is barely noticeable. The video quality is amazing. That's actually the deciding factor on my purchase of this camera. I can video a moving target and the focus tracks beautifully.