Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 627 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 776 reviews
on February 16, 2016
Got a 6D. It now supplements my 5DSR. So far I have taken more than 25.000 shots with it.

The short story: At today’s price level the 6D is a wonderful bargain option. Great Full Frame photography with Canon currently does not come cheaper than this. Its short on bells and whistles, but the sensor is simply excellent and not only does the sensor thrive at high iso shooting – the 6D has a fast, accurate and light sensitive centre focus point to match. I got the non-wifi version to shave off an additional 250$ on an already low price. Of course there are shortcomings at this price point. But they may be less than you think. Read on for the full picture.

Handling: Coming from the 5DII/5DIII the 6D takes a little while getting used to. Both cameras have options that the 6D does not and the button layout is somewhat different. First and foremost there are less buttons and I found myself missing some of the direct access functions on the 5DII, 5DIII and 5DSR. Also there is no dedicated jog-stick instead its integrated with the rear wheel. Handling is however still very good and an advantage over the 5D-series is that the 6D is noticeably smaller and lighter. The entire button and screen layout works well once you get used to it. I like the build. It’s not 5D territory but the 6D will last for years if you treat it with care.

The body is clearly made for still photography. Shooting videos is best with a tripod because the 6D only shoots video using live view. In-body IS and a swivel screen would go a long way to provide decent hand held video operation.

The software menu is easy to navigate and includes a custom menu option which I can recommend. I have almost all my menu needs covered by my own custom menu. There are somewhat fewer settings and options available than with the 5DIII and a lot fewer than on the 5DS/R – but frankly, we have become very spoiled with pages of menu options – the 6D may not allow you to customise everything you want, but I venture that very few photographers will find anything important lacking.

Basic Settings & AF: 6D has wide auto-bracketing (7 frames), custom white balance and a host of AF-setting options. You can also set a number of custom controls so the camera works like you like to. You even get niceties such a white balance bracketing. With the 6D Canon finally got the implementation of auto-iso right. You can now set the key trade-off parameters yourself so you can confidently rely on auto-iso to make “smart” choices.

You get the very useful option to choose between two “sets” of predefined settings by dialing in your choices to “C1” and “C2” on the main knob. The knob even has the 5DIII lock so you do not inadvertently change the main shooting mode and on top a dedicated settings lock. These details a really a boost for your daily use. Finally, the "Green" auto-setting also works with RAW files when you hand the camera over to your family members and friends.

I hardly shoot anything but RAW files. But for those who like jpegs there are many excellent tools to employ such as highlight priority, pictures styles, HDR-mode etc.

AF is the one area where the 6D is a mixed bag of offerings.

First the good: The centre AF point is probably up there with the best Canon has to offer. Fast, accurate and reliable in very low light – allowing it to focus where the 5DIII cannot. If you use the centre point a lot the 6D is a treat. You can also customize the 6D AF settings to your shooting style. A nice – and useful – option. Finally, the AF points can be selected to default to your preferred position depending on whether you are shooting portrait or landscape.

The bad: The 6D outer focus points are not as accurate as the 5DIII’s. Instead in many ways it seems like shooting with the 5DII when you move away from the centre AF point. Also the AF points do not cover as much of your FF viewfinder as the 5DIII. There are also much fewer AF points; however I see this as less important. It’s the two first issues that buyers should consider when choosing between the 6D and 5DIII.

I got along well with the 5DII and action shots myself and I’m very happy with what the 6D delivers. So do not think of the 6D having inferior AF – its just not as good as we know we could have today.

Have not used video enough to comment on this. It does 1.080 HD. No 4K here!

Still picture recording options: The single SD card slot can be set record files in all manner of modes and file sizes including several different jpeg resolutions.

With a fast SD card previewing is almost without delay and you can quickly scroll to enlarge the display view.

Response times: Start up time is very fast.

6D is not a speed demon but reasonably fast with its 4.5 fps. That’s actually better than the 5DII. Just say’in since there seems to be a widespread thinking that less than 10 fps is useless for action. It is not. 4.5 fps is far better than what we had in the film days (one day I’ll write an article on why 10 fps is actually not twice as good as 5 fps). However, if fps is what you really need you are neither in 6D nor in 5DII/5DIII/5DSR territory anyway.

While the world will have to wait for my article with the necessary samples and statistics, you can look here for someone who shots sports with the 6D for a living: [...] now that’s impressive!

Shooting JPEG’s unfortunately does not give you more fps but it does allow you to shoot a lot more pictures without slowing the camera down compared to shooting RAW.

In real life shooting I can do 18-20 full RAW files on my 128 Sandisk Extreme Class 10 SDXC card. Canon has made sure that the camera does not stall altogether. Instead the 6D continues to shoot frames – even if its quite slow from there.

Pic IQ: This is where the 6D shines. Its simply Wow! for the money. Colors are beautiful. Clarity and detail is impressive – and remains so while you dial up the iso settings. Not only is it a great nighttime camera the noise is also very nice and manageable when it turns up. Baring the new DX it may be the best high iso Canon camera you can get. Certainly better than the 5DIII and probably slightly better than the 5DS/R.

The 6D does not have the dynamic range of the competition (SONY/NIKON) an area where Canon lags behind, its still very good, just not as good. If you do professional landscape photography you may want to look elsewhere. I have no complaints myself.

6d can be set to a ridiculous iso 102400. I shoot comfortably at iso 6.400 . After that quality goes South. I’ll do 12.800 when I have to and the results are certainly usable compared to not getting the shot.

Light handling: Light metering seems on par with the 5DII and the 5DIII. There are four standard settings. Many competing brands meanwhile offer more advanced light metering such as measuring the light according to your selected AF point. Canon needs to catch up here.

White balance also feels very much like using the 5DII/5DIII. That is: Less than fully accurate. Use a grey card if white balance is important to your shooting.

Microadjustment: It worked well as expected. Fortunately Canon allows users to set MA both according to lens and variably for Canon zoom lenses (separate settings for the wide/tele ends). Again the 6D has all the setting options that really count. Great!

With the 6D you can also buy software that will automatically drive a full AF test for microadjustment. This may help a lot of people getting more reliable microadjustment settings.

I always recommend microadjusting your lenses for the best results. Canon has “acceptable standard variances” for its cameras as well as its lenses You cannot expect even expensive Canon lenses to be spot-on without testing for micro adjustment.

Other thoughts and conclusion: Dust system works very well (as it should now-a-days). I have not cleaned the sensor a once during a safari trip and I do not expect to do it again anytime soon. Manual focus is easy with live view. You also get a 2-axis meter to make sure you level the camera when needed.

For the money the 6D cannot be beat within the Canon family. The picture IQ is so good that if I had to choose I would pick up the 6D over the 5DIII any day I had a very specific need for the 5DIII.

Happy shooting!
22 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2015
Perfect in every way. Full frame, great iso capacity, I like to shoot astrophotography photos and iso is great. Almost no noise at 3.200. even at 6.400. Love it.
I use rokinon 14mm 2.8 or 24-105 L at f4
review image
22 comments| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2015
I upgraded from a Rebel T3, which I absolutely loved. I am a recreational photographer. I tend to photograph landscapes, animals, and underwater.I travel a lot and size and weight were factors in my decision to go with the 6d. I also like to shoot with available light, which is why I wanted to go full frame for the high ISO performance. The center point on the 6d is just amazing. It focuses in an almost completely dark room. Certainly it will be able to focus for any situation when you are going to shoot hand held. I will take the simplified control of 11 AF points and an absolutely fantastic center focus point over 61 points. I have taken this camera to Africa and give it extra points for tracking running giraffes. The video is incredible. This is my first full frame camera. I have been using adobe lightroom and photoshop for editing and I am amazed by the amount of data this camera captures in raw settings. Photos taken in extremely low light situations contain a tremendous amount of data. I am excited to work with it.
on March 14, 2013
I spent about a month researching the Nikon D600, Nikon D800, Canon 6D, and the Canon 5D iii. I'm a professional digital matte painter in the movie industry. I spend a lot of time shooting reference images of landscapes and architecture from unique locations throughout the US and the world.

After trying each camera at a local shop, I decided to narrow down my options to the Canon 6D and Nikon D600. I'm not loyal to either brand. My main priorities for a full frame is image quality and handling. I even downloaded RAW samples and compared them in Photoshop.
Here's some key factors that went into my decision:
Canon 6D

PROS:

*Dynamic Range is great
The whole DXO mark of the Nikon D600 having 2 more stops is over-hyped! If you shoot RAW, you have plenty of room to bring back details in the shadows and highlights. If you know how to use Photoshop and camera RAW, this is not a big factor.

*Great High ISO performance
Images hold up great in low light situations. Handheld Night Scene works great! It shoots 4 bracketed exposures and combines them in-camera. The result is a very well exposed jpeg image. Main limitation of this that it saves a jpeg image only. I shoot mainly RAW. A workaround I end up doing is shooting my usual RAW images and then switch to Handheld Night Scene to get a nice jpeg. Then I have the best of both worlds.

*Very accurate color rendition.
What you see in real life is what you get from the photos.

*Ergonomics are great
I have fairly small hands and the camera fits like a glove. It feels solid and well balanced.

*The GPS and Wi-fi are amazing!
Here's where Canon really stepped up their game. The directions aren't the clearest on how to set it up, but I figured it out through some trial and error.
GPS: It takes about 1-2 minutes to locate and lock on a satellite signal. Every time you shoot, the global coordinates of the camera are embedded into the RAW or jpeg file. So after a days work, I can see where each image was taken. The Canon 6D comes with a map utility software to view this. Better yet, if you have Adobe Lightroom(highly recommended), the program has a dedicated "Map" tab. It uses Google maps, so you can navigate and zoom to each location you shot. Now I never have to name my files with long descriptions like "DTLA_CornerOfSpringSt&6thSt_Noon_3-14-2013.jpeg" just so I can remember where I was.
Wi-Fi: Works great! Essentially, the Canon 6D acts like a wireless router. Once you activate it, you can search for the camera on your smart phone. Make sure you install the free EOS Utility app for your phone. Once you connect, your smart phone acts like a live viewfinder and remote control, with the ability to adjust basic settings. ie, shutter speed, iso, focusing points.

*Nice viewfinder
Very sharp and bright in reference to what I'm actually seeing. The whole 97% vs 100% viewfinder coverage is not a factor at all. So what if i don't see 3% of the image through the viewfinder. In the end, that just means you get an extra 3% of the image you didn't see after you view it on your computer. I end up cropping a lot in Photoshop anyhow.

*Very convenient and smart button layouts.
I can easily change my iso speed and aperture settings without any thinking. Nice integration of the rear dial to change apertures and make quick adjustments on the fly.

*Weather sealed
Canon finally decided to address their fogging issue that plagued the previous 5D ii. Now I have some assurance that the camera can handle some adverse weather conditions.

*Very silent shutter sound
A nice addition when shooting with a tour or in a cathedral/sacred place.

CONS
*No flash pop up. The high ISO performance makes up for this though.
*20 megapixels vs the 24 megapixels on the D600. Not a big difference, but a small detail nonetheless
*1 card slot
Originally this bothered me. But then I thought, why can't I just carry a tiny SD card in my pocket as a backup.
*11 auto focus points
Canon dropped the ball on this one. But I do not shoot sports and weddings, so it does not affect my shooting experience. I've been content with the 11 it provides, plenty for me to adjust my focus areas.
*12 stops dynamic range vs 14 stops on the D600. If you shoot RAW, this is not a deal breaker
*Some special modes, ie Scene Handheld and HDR, can only be saved as jpeg.

Nikon D600
PROS:
*Slightly better Dynamic Range than the Canon 6D
I spent a long time testing out the RAW images but did not see a significant advantage. If you know how to bracket exposures, then both cameras are on par.

*Great ergonomics.
I really enjoyed holding the D600, much better than the Nikon D800 in my opinion. The thumb rest was more pronounced on the D600. So it felt more secure in my hands.

*Nice color rendition
*39 focus points
If I was shooting sports and weddings, this would be a better addition than the Canon 6D. Then again if I was shooting these types of subjects, I would upgrade to the Nikon D800 or Canon 5D iii.
*Dual card slots
*Weather sealed

CONS
*Viewfinder is a bit small and 1-2 stops dark.
I rarely use the live view when shooting. So I rely on the viewfinder to compose my subject matter. I'm not sure why Nikon decided to darken it, it really makes shooting in low light situations harder to see. The Canon 6D, 5D iii and the Nikon D800 does not have this problem.
*The dreaded dust/oil problem is not gonna go away for a while. Google it and feel the frustration of Niko That's what you get for trying to save production costs by manufacturing it in Thailand. It should be made in Japan or the USA !! To make matters worse, Nikon denied the dust issue for months.
*Button layout needs to be simplified and thought out better
The dual ring knob at the top is a bit of pain to use. The iso button is a tiny button located in a the bottom left, not the best location since you have to fiddle around to look for it. The better Nikon models made sure the iso button is easily accessible using your shooting hand.
*Based off of user reviews on Amazon, the extra wi-fi attachment you can purchase seems buggy.
*HDR mode only saves jpegs.
Like the Canon 6D, you cannot save out RAW image using special modes.
*Shutter is significantly louder than the Canon 6D
=====================================================================

In the end, I stuck with my instincts and went with the Canon 6D. Despite some features that it lacked, ie dual card slots, I felt this was the best camera for my profession. Especially with the GPS and high ISO noise performance.

I think it's really up to you to decide what you mainly use this camera for and then draw up a list of Pros and Cons. Make sure you visit your local camera shop to test it out for yourself. Good luck and enjoy shooting with which ever camera you decide to purchase!!
on January 4, 2013
I have owned a T3i, 60D, 7D and a 5Dmkii and I have to say that this 6D is truly amazing! I am charging the battery right now, but I had to pop it in for a few test shots just to see how it works in low light situations. I am in a room with only one tiny lamp on and I have been able to catch focus with all 11 focus points and the images are sharp. I will note that the center point does find focus the fastest and in very LITTLE light!

I will write more as I explore it, but right now its already better in low light than the 5dmkii! I was debating between a 7D, 5dmkii or another 6D for a backup..... after tonight I am leaning very much towards a 2nd 6D as a backup! But i do like the extra reach that the 7D would provide and the insane ruggedness of it.

The only issue is that I have 3 CF cards that wouldn't be used. But i do have 2x 32GB SD cards and 1x 16GB SD card that will work for the time being. I liked the fast focusing of the 7D but in all honesty I wasn't all that impressed with its low lighting quality....which was better on the 5dmkii. The fact that the 6D can go to even higher ISO's with little noise is going to come in very handy.

The kit lens is great as well... with the IS, i can hand hold in almost no light with no flash.

My main items are portraits, walk around and landscape.

in my bag I have a 6D, (6D, 7D or 5Dmkii as a backup), 17-40L F4, 24-105L F4 IS, 50 F1.4, 85 F1.8, and 70-200L F4 IS, 2x 430exii speedlights

::EDIT 1/6/2013::

I have played around with the wifi and the EOS ap on my iPhone... Pure genius! I can view all the pics on my camera right on my phone and i can control the camera by just my phone from across the house.

It has also be decided that as soon as Amazon gets the Body only camera in we will be buying another 6D as our backup.

::EDIT 1/22/2013::

I am now hesitant about a 2nd back up 6D as the non-canon brand batteries issues is a pretty big deal. $60 for a single battery where $24.99 could get you two Wasabi batteries AND a charger. putting the wasabi battery in my 6D effective dumbed it down... the battery i mean. it can no long display a battery charge level on my 7D nor in the charger. Hopefully the 5dmkiii doesnt have this issue!
77 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 11, 2013
I also own a 5D MK II and 60D and the 6D is a near marriage of the two older cameras: full frame innards of the 5D MKII coupled with the petite form factor and controls of the 60D. Toss in Wi-Fi, GPS, AF tweaks, enhanced high ISO, and that's the 6D in a nutshell.

CONSTRUCTION: The 6D is a handsome camera with top notch fit and finish: tough magnesium body shell, engineering grade plastic top panel and matte black paint. I suspect the plastic panel was used to enhance Wi-Fi/GPS reception. Canon claims the 6D is weather resistant to the same level as the 7D and 1N and, indeed, mist and light rain don't faze it but I'd protect it in a downpour. The textured rubber grip is comfortable for my medium sized hands and feels secure. It's noticeably smaller and lighter than a 5D MKII and the same size and weight as the 60D.

The 6D is very quiet. My 5D MKII and 70D thunder next to it. However, if quiet isn't enough, silent drive mode can fade operation to pianissimo, making it idea for stage and intimate ceremonies.

The 3.0" 1,040,000 dot LCD is vivid and clear and spanks my 5D MKII in terms of clarity. It appears to the same LCD as the 60D but without the articulating ability.

CONTROLS: The Spartan control interface was inherited from the 60D but buttons and wheels feel a little more solid and precise. Like the 60D, there's no joystick, and dedicated flash exposure compensation (FEC) and white balance buttons are MIA. FEC is set on the LCD. I prefer a dedicated FEC button so flash compensation may be applied while looking through the viewfinder. One control was inherited from the 7D: a button/switch on the upper right for toggling between LiveView and video.

AUTOFOCUS: The diamond shaped AF-array has similar coverage as the 5D MKII, but a but a total of 11 points rather than 9. The center-cross AF point has been significantly enhanced and is amazingly sensitive and sure-footed in low light, working all the way down to EV -3. It can snag focus in closets and caves! The 10 single axis outer points are not as sensitive but are better than those of the 5D MKII. All in all, a big step up from 5D MKII AF.

Contrast AF used in LiveView/Video is pokey compared to the 70D or SL1, but a level faster and more sure-footed than contrast AF on the 60D or 7D, and a couple levels better than the 5D MKII. If you're not in a hurry, it's very accurate and fine for macro and product shots.

IMAGE QUALITY: RAW image output very similar t the 5D MKII from ISO 100 to 1600, i.e., great! The 6D comes into its own at high ISO, and coupled with ultra sensitive AF, is an amazing low light camera. By ISO 3200 the 6D pulls away from the 5D MKII and is shockingly good at ISO 12800 with only moderate noise reduction. Beyond ISO 12800 is emergency use for me, but if I need to shoot at ISO 102400 the center AF point is up to the task. I'm not an avid "shadow lifter" but the 6D is amazingly clean--less patterned artifacts--and you can easily bump up shadows another stop over the 5D MKII when needed.

WI-FI: WI-FI via the EOS Remote app can be used to set exposure, select AF points, fire the shutter., etc. Like the wired EOS remote, you can use LiveView or save images on your iPhone, iPad or Droid. Wi-Fi drains the battery fast, so have spares ready. My only complaint is Wi-Fi is needlessly complicated to set up.

GPS setup is easy: two or three menu selections, point the pentaprism at the sky and you're done. However, acquiring a GPS signal in downtown Honolulu was impossible due to tall buildings and nearby mountains. I was able to catch the signal here and there on Oahu but found GPS spotty. I had hoped GPS would bring clarity to my befuddling vacation images but I'll reserve final judgement until I get travel time in North America during the summer. For now, I disabled GPS since it shortens battery life.

VIEWFINDER: The quality of the optical viewfinder is astounding. On paper the specs of 97% coverage and .71x magnification are less impressive than the 5D MKII/III. However, viewfinder clarity is a level above my 5D MK II, 60D or 7D. Even with a slowish F4 zoom the focusing screen is bright, grainless, smooth and vivid. It's a real pleasure to shoot with.

FLASH: Although the 6D is a prosumer camera aimed at serious hobbyists, it lacks a popup flash. My 430EX II Speedlite works great but I miss having a popup for fill flash and E-TTL trigger use. If you're looking for a small Speedlite, consider the Canon 270EX II Speedlite Flash for Canon SLR Cameras (Black): it fits in a pocket, can bounce and is about twice as powerful as a popup.

LAST BLURB: Canon's blend of features from multiple cameras make the 6D the a highly evolved and refined camera. Tried and true works for me: menus, features and controls were very familiar. I barely needed to crack the manual. I also love the small form factor combined with full frame format. It's easy on the shoulder, able to capture clean and vivid images in almost any light and, for me, the ideal travel DSLR.
on November 16, 2014
I upgraded from a 50D and am extremely happy with my purchase. I actually had a 7D Mark II on preorder, but decided to cancel that and go with the 6D after reading and watching many reviews online. Even though the 7D Mark II looks like it's a great piece of equipment, I went with the 6D.

While I have nothing against crop-body cameras (my 50D isn't going anywhere), I knew that I wanted to make the jump to full frame. Since I already have a decent collection of Canon lenses, I had no intention to switch brands (we use Nikon where I work and they are fine cameras, but I prefer Canon).

The well-known small number of autofocus points is what initially made me shy away from the 6D, but so far it hasn't caused any problems with my photography. I've managed to take some great pictures in many different settings (kid's soccer, hikes, birds, portraits, etc). I would never suggest this camera to someone who mainly shoots quick action, but with the right lens and technique you can get some pretty good images if you know what you're doing with this camera.

Unless you plan on waiting around for the the 6D Mark II (if they're even going to make one) or plan on forking over the cash for the 5D Mark III or it's eventual replacement, I don't think you'll be disappointed with buying this camera if you understand it's limitations.

Pros:
- Great image quality
- Impressive high ISO performace
- Video capabilities (although I mainly shoot photos)
- WI/Fi/GPS capabilities (I didn't think I'd use these, but I find them very useful)
- Lightweight

Cons
- Auto-focus system outdated
- Camera options not up to par considering it's a fairly expensive full-frame camera (get Magic Lantern to make up for it)
- Doesn't appear to be put together nearly as well as other Canon crop cameras (50D included!)
- Low FPS

If you don't need 64 autofocus points and are looking to jump into full frame with Canon and don't want to spend a fortune doing so, this is the camera for you. It isn't perfect, but it works for me! I also purchased the 24-105 lens and am satisfied with that as well.
on December 31, 2012
Canon 6d Review

I've now been using my 6d for a bit over a week and feel that I've handled it enough to write a comprehensive review. First, let me tell you that I upgraded from a Rebel T2i, which I absolutely loved. I'm by no means a pro, and I don't typically get paid for my work; but I would classify myself as a photo enthusiast. I travel a lot and size and weight were factors in my decision to go with the 6d. I also like to shoot with available light, which is why I wanted to go full frame for the high ISO performance. For some reason it says I purchased the body only, but I actually bought the kit.

Let me address some of the "cons" that people are complaining about right out of the gate. I'm going to assume that most people considering the 6d are like me - looking to upgrade from a nice point and shoot style camera or a Rebel series or other APS-C style DSLR. Nearly everything that people are stating are "cons" I never had on my Rebel in the first place, so I don't miss these features. The AF system has gotten a lot of attention, but on my Rebel, I used the center point 90% of the time for focusing. The center point on the 6d is just amazing. It focuses in an almost completely dark room. Certainly it will be able to focus for any situation when you are going to shoot hand held. I will take the simplified control of 11 AF points and an absolutely fantastic center focus point over 61 points (caveat: I don't shoot sports or other fast moving objects so I wouldn't really benefit from the addition points for tracking a moving subject).

I rarely, if ever, shoot video so not having a headphone jack doesn't bother me in the slightest. Also, not having a built in flash is no big deal to me either. I'm going to assume that people looking at this price range for a camera have an external flash and understand the limitations of a built in flash. I never used the one on my Rebel anyway. Finally, not having two SD card slots doesn't seem like a big loss to me. While I think the redundancy of two slots might be nice, I've never had an SD card fail on me and perpetually back up my images anyway.

24-105mm f/4 Kit Lens:
Honestly this was probably what was holding me back the most about going full frame. I previously have been using the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and I have to say that better than 90% of my pictures taken with my T2i were shot using this lens. While the 17-55 doesn't have a red ring or L in its name, it defiantly can run with the L glass. I worried that going from a relatively fast 2.8 (EF-S lenses do not fit on the 6d) to an f/4 would be limiting, but I also didn't want to give up IS and the 24-70mm was out of my price range anyway. Let me say that given the higher ISO performance, I don't really miss the stop I lost going to an f/4 lens. I actually like having a bit more reach with the 24-105. I would defiantly have kept my 17-55 f/2.8 if I could have, but I also don't feel limited by the 24-105 f/4. In the future I plan to get the 16-35 f/2.8 for use alongside the 25-105 f/4. So in summary, if you are like me and hesitating about giving up your 17-55mm f/2.8 for the 24-105 f/4, don't worry - the kit lens is fantastic and you won't regret going full frame for a second.

ISO Performance:
Let me sum it up in one word: amazing. I hate noisy pictures and I'd hesitate to shoot much above ISO 400 with my T2i. I have no problem shooting at 3200-6400 with the 6d. I took some shots basically in the dark at 25,600 and they were defiantly usable. Low light performance is just amazing. I can't comment on how it compares to other full frame cameras, but I do know there is just no comparison between APS-C sensors and this one.

Auto ISO on this camera is awesome. I never used Auto ISO on my T2i (as I said above I hate noisy images and didn't like the camera constantly trying to push up the ISO). The Auto ISO on this camera lets you set a minimum shutter speed (great for people, like myself, who rarely use a tripod). It brings the shutter down to (near) the minimum, and then starts to the boost the ISO. Additionally (like most SLR's) you can set the maximum and minimum Auto ISO speeds.

Autofocus:
I touched on this above, but for its limitations, I actually like the AF system. I shoot mostly still subjects in available light and absolutely love the center AF point and its ability to focus in near dark conditions. AF is fast and of the few hundred pictures I've taken so far, hasn't missed yet. I like the simplicity of the 11-point AF system. I find the 61-point system hard to navigate. Coming from a Rebel, the AF system is very similar so there was really no learning curve when going to the 6d.

Design & Button Layout:
The 6d is surprisingly small and light. It's honestly not much bigger than my T2i, and only slightly heavier. It defiantly doesn't feel cheap though. It feels rugged, well built, and substantial in your hand. It doesn't have the plastic feel that the Rebels do. It feels like a pro-level camera. Coming from a Rebel, I felt pretty at home with the button layout. A few things are in different places (e.g. the mode dial is on the other side to make room for the top LCD screen) but I was adjusted within a day or so. The mode dial lock is a cool little feature, but I can't say I ever had an issue with the mode dial moving itself on my Rebel.

The 8-way rocker is a bit annoying, but still a step above the four way buttons on the Rebel series. It's also nice to have the wheel on the back to adjust aperture (or shutter speed) in Manual mode, instead of having to press and hold a button and use the main dial on the T2i. The menu system feels well laid out and everything is pretty easy to find. Also having two custom spots on the mode dial is a nice addition (people seems to be complaining there are only 2 instead of 3, but let me say that 2 is much better than the zero I had before!). You can use the custom spots for pretty much anything (I have my set up for exposure bracketing and portraits). The ISO button location also takes a bit of getting used to when moving from a Rebel to the 6d, but the reassessed button and raised dot make it relatively easy to adjust quickly. Also you can customize a lot of the button assignments in the custom functions menu.

Battery life seems to be pretty good so far. As expected, using GPS and WiFi considerably shorten the life, but it's certainly still acceptable. A note about aftermarket batteries: they work, but the camera doesn't play nice with them. If you put in an aftermarket battery the camera warns you that it isn't a Canon battery and asks if you want to continue. It also doesn't know how much battery life is remaining. I'm hoping the aftermarket battery manufacturers will update their batteries soon (Wassabi indicated within a month or two they would be releasing an update).

WiFi & GPS:
I bought this camera not really thinking I would use either of these features very often, but let me say they are welcome additions. The WiFi is pretty simple to set up (if you've ever set up a router or even configured your smart phone to connect to WiFi then you shouldn't have any issues). In less than 20 minutes I tried out connecting to an iPad, Android phone, laptop, and even a uploading directly to Facebook without any issues at all (note that you have to connect to your laptop first to set up Facebook and you have to register with Canon). Transferring images wirelessly from the 6d to a laptop is surprisingly fast and easy. Also, viewing images on an iPad wirelessly is easy (**01/07/2013: Canon confirmed to me that no dedicated iPad app is being developed and you must use the iPhone app). I don't have much to say about GPS, other than it works. I stepped outside and it acquired a satellite signal pretty fast. You can view the geotagged information either in the provided Canon Maps application or in Adobe Lightroom. I think this will be really great when I am traveling. Note that the GPS stays on even when the camera is off (WiFi does not, however). You can turn off (or at least turn down the frequency) of the "bread crumb" feature (which tracks your location at set intervals to plot your path) to save some battery life.

**01/06/2013: The 6d only supports 2.4 GHz wireless bands, so if you are running a 5 GHz band router you won't be able to connect. Note most routers operating in the 5 GHz band also support 2.4 GHz so it may just be a matter of changing some setting on your router.

Advanced Shooting Modes:
HDR, white balance and exposure bracketing, and multiple exposure modes are all really great features. I love to shoot HDR and the camera does a pretty decent job of aligning and merging the images when shooting hand held. I do feel limited in that you can only take three exposures in HDR mode. I also find it a pain to have to turn off RAW mode in order to turn on HDR. I actually prefer the exposure bracketing. You can bracket up to seven shots in 1/3 EV steps (note that if you want to bracket more than the default three shots you have to change a setting in the custom functions menu).

The camera contains a lot of features for JPEG shooters (since I shoot mostly RAW I don't use these features often, but they seem nice to have for people who don't use post processing software). The camera will now do lens profile corrections (fixing distortion, brightness, vignette, etc.) for the lens that is attached. I always apply this to my photos using Lightroom and it's nice to have in-camera.

Summary:
In sum, the 6d is a fantastic camera. I don't at all feel hampered by the so called "limitations" pointed out in some of the reviews (lack of pop of flash, only 11 AF points, a single SD card slot, etc.). If you are upgrading from a Rebel you will love the improved center AF point, high ISO performance, speed, build quality, advanced shooting modes, and WiFi and GPS built in. I don't feel the need to compare this camera to Nikon's or Canon's other offering, because honestly this is a fantastic camera in its own right. I was already invested with several lenses in the Canon system, so Nikon was never really a consideration for me. The choice was really between the 6d and the 5d M3 and given the relatively large cost difference the 6d was the clear choice. Also if your considering the 5d M2, I think the benefit of five plus years of development has greatly benefited the 6d, and therefore would highly recommend the 6d over the 5d M2 for the sensor and new Digic 5+ processor.

Pros:
+Awesome low light / high ISO performance
+Great center AF point for very low light focusing
+WiFi and GPS built in provide awesome flexibility in shooting, especially for travelers
+Relatively light and small (for a full frame) without sacrificing solid construction
+Very bright and clear viewfinder (especially when compared to the Rebels)
+Digic 5+ processor provides great JPEG improvements and fast enough shooting speed

Cons:
-Kit lens is only f/4, and the 24-70 f/2.8 is pricey!
-HDR mode is slightly cumbersome to use and disappointing with its three shot exposure limitation
-Button layout takes a bit to adjust to

Please feel free to sound off in the comments with questions!
3636 comments| 652 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2015
Amazing camera and such a reasonable price. This camera is so much better than my crop frame camera I can't believe it took me so long to get full frame. the capabilities of this camera continue to astound me the ISO especially. on my old camera I could not go past 1600 ISO without being really noisy now I can go to 12800 and still have useable images just 50 noise reduction and 50 sharpening in Lightroom and perfect for printing. Both images i uploaded were taken handheld f4 and 12800 ISO. This is to show the capabilities this camera has with noise.
review image review image
on January 30, 2015
This camera is amazing!

I upgraded from my Canon t3i, and I can't tell you what a huge difference this camera makes. I never understood truly what full-frame vs. crop-frame was until I dove in and bought this camera. This camera shows so much more in the frame with the subject, and gives that wonderful "foggy" background that everyone loves. Also, with my t3i, I could never understand why my pictures were always so gritty looking. I tried everything, but I always had these little dots all over my pictures, and had to edit them in lightroom for them to look remotely decent. With the Canon 6d, you can pretty much shoot at any ISO and hardly have any noise in your pictures. The pictures are so sharp, yet soft. It captures the details of everything! And the best part is that you can shoot indoors, or at night, and the pictures are super clear!

Basically, I'm obsessed with this camera... I am so happy I purchased it!