Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Canon G12 10 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Ima..." and save 54% off the $499.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Canon G12 10 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.8 Inch Vari-Angle LCD
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 10.0-megapixel sensor and the DIGIC 4 Image Processor combine to create Canon's HS SYSTEM for improved low light performance
- Shoot 720p HD video in stereo sound; HDMI output
- Canon's Hybrid IS compensates for angular and shift camera shake during close-up shooting
- 5x optical zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer; 28mm wide-angle lens; optical viewfinder
- Capture images and video to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card, MultiMediaCard, MMC Plus Card, HC MMC Plus Card (not included)
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Special offers and product promotions
|Auto Focus Technology|
|Battery Average Life||370 Photos|
|Battery Type||Lithium Ion|
|Continuous Shooting Speed||1.1 fps|
|Display Fixture Type||Fully-articulated|
|Display Resolution Maximum||461,000|
|Display Size||0.1 inches|
|Effective Still Resolution||10 MP|
|Expanded ISO Maximum||3,200|
|Expanded ISO Minimum||80|
|External Memory Included||Yes|
|Flash Memory Type||SD/SDHC/SDXC/MMC/MMCplus/HC MMCplus|
|Flash Modes Description||Auto, Flash off, Manual, Red-eye reduction|
|Flash Type||Built-in Flash, Hot-shoe|
|Focus Description||AiAF TTL|
|Focus Type||Autofocus & Manual|
|ISO Range||Auto, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 320, 400, 500, 640, 800, 1000, 1250, 1600, 2000, 2500, 3200|
|Image Aspect Ratio||1:1, 5:4, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9|
|Item Dimensions||2.99 x 1.89 x 4.41 inches|
|Item Display Weight||401 grams|
|Item Weight||0.88 pounds|
|Lithium Battery Energy Content||3.996 Watt Hours|
|Lithium Battery Voltage||3.7 Volts|
|Lithium Battery Weight||0.355 grams|
|Macro Focus Range||1 cm|
|Maximum Aperture Range||F2.8 - F4.5|
|Maximum Focal Length||140 mm|
|Maximum Shutter Speed||1/4000 of a second|
|Maximum horizontal resolution||3,648|
|Memory Storage Capacity||16 GB|
|Metering||Multi, Center-weighted, Spot|
|Minimum Focal Length||28 mm|
|Minimum Shutter Speed||15 seconds|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||10 MP|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CCD|
|Photo Sensor Technology||CCD|
|Processor Description||Digic 4|
|Remote Control Description||Optional|
|Sensor Cleaning Method||No|
|Shipping Weight||1.65 pounds|
|Style Name||US Version|
|Supported Battery Types||Lithium-Ion NB-7L rechargeable battery & charger|
|Video Capture Format||H.264|
|Video Capture Resolution||1280 x 720 (24 fps) 640 x 480 (30 fps), 320 x 240 (30 fps)|
|Viewfinder Type||Optical (tunnel)|
|Water Resistance Level||Not Water Resistant|
Compare to similar items
This item Canon G12 10 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.8 Inch Vari-Angle LCD
|Shipping||—||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Available from these sellers||Extreme Electronic||Teds Electronics||BYDEALS||Amazon.com||Amazon.com|
|Screen Size||2.8 in||3 in||3 in||3 in||3 in||5 in|
|Item Dimensions||1.89 x 4.41 x 2.99 in||1.2 x 3.9 x 2.3 in||1.41 x 2.51 x 4.32 in||2.56 x 4.61 x 3.19 in||2.6 x 4.57 x 2.91 in||4.43 x 1.74 x 3.01 in|
|Item Weight||0.88 lb||7.4 ounces||0.54 lb||1.18 lbs||1.22 lbs||0.83 lb|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||10 megapixels||12 megapixels||20.3 megapixels||14.3 megapixels||12.8 megapixels||12 megapixels|
|Video Capture Resolution||1280 x 720 (24 fps) 640 x 480 (30 fps), 320 x 240 (30 fps)||1920 x 1080 pixels, 640 x 480,1280 x 720,1920 x 1080 pixels||1920 x 1280 (59.94 fps / 29.97 fps)||1920 x 1080 (24 fps), 1280 x 720 (30 fps), 640 x 480 (30 fps)||1920 x 1080 (30p), 1280 x 720 (30p), 640 x 480 (30 fps)||1920 x 1080 pixels, 640 x 480,1280 x 720,1920 x 1080 pixels|
|Viewfinder||Optical (tunnel)||fixed LCD||fixed LCD||Optical (tunnel)||Electronic (optional)||LCD|
Canon's 4342B001 PowerShot G12 10MP Compact Digital Camera is ready to impress the advanced amateurs who have always celebrated the G Series. The G12 is still loaded with powerful technologies that has made the G Series cameras so renowned, like the Canon HS SYSTEM, 2.8-inch Vari-angle Pure Color System LCD, and RAW + JPEG image modes. Now, this flagship camera paves the way with these new upgrades like 720p HD Video with stereo sound to get crystal clear footage, multiple aspect ratios, High Dynamic Range, Electronic Level, Tracking AF, a Front Dial and much more to give you even more creative control than before.1-Year Limited Warranty.
From the Manufacturer
Feast your eyes on an updated G Series digital camera: The G12. It's ready to impress the advanced amateurs who have always celebrated the G Series. The G12 is still loaded with powerful technologies that has made the G Series cameras so renowned, like the Canon HS SYSTEM, 2.8-inch Vari-angle PureColor System LCD, and RAW + JPEG image modes. Now, this flagship camera paves the way with these new upgrades like 720p HD Video with stereo sound to get crystal clear footage, multiple aspect ratios, High Dynamic Range, Electronic Level, Tracking AF, a Front Dial and much more to give you even more creative control than before!
Canon PowerShot G12 Highlights
10.0 Megapixel sensor combined with the DIGIC 4 Image Processor creates Canon's HS SYSTEM
The PowerShot G12 employs the HS SYSTEM by combining a powerful 10.0 Megapixel CCD sensor and Canon's DIGIC 4 Image Processor. Thanks to this technological advancement, the G12 is dramatically more sensitive than cameras with identical megapixel counts, and delivers spectacular images with minimal noise. Increased sensitivity demands a higher ISO speed, and the PowerShot G12 delivers with a new maximum setting of ISO 3200. Blur and camera shake are notably reduced for the ultimate in sharpness and clarity.
In addition, a new Low Light mode lets you capture images in an astonishing range of conditions. The camera automatically adjusts the ISO speed from ISO 320 to ISO 12800 in relation to ambient brightness, subject movement and camera shake.
Shoot 720p HD video in stereo sound and play back on an HDTV via the HDMI output
The PowerShot G12 also includes spectacular video functionality. When shooting video, you can get up close with the 5x Optical Zoom for riveting detail and realism, from the overall appearance to facial expressions! And the camera's Smart AUTO technology that helps ensure the perfect still image works to bring that same quality to your video.
Shooting and recording modes including RAW + JPEG
The PowerShot G12's RAW mode lets you shoot images without JPEG compression. It gives you clearer images and complete creative control in editing. RAW images are transferred directly to the computer where they can then be edited using image adjustment software or a processing application to adjust your images as you please. The camera can also be set to allow the simultaneous recording of both RAW and JPEG images while shooting.
Canon's Hybrid IS compensates for angular and shift camera shake during close-up shooting
The PowerShot G12 is equipped with Canon's highly advanced Hybrid IS function, which corrects camera shake from two sources to deliver sharp, blur-free images even when you zoom in close to your subject.
Hybrid IS employs both an angular sensor and an accelerometer, enabling it to suppress both the blur caused by the angle of the camera and the "shift blur" that happens when your subject moves parallel to the camera, a problem that is especially noticeable at large zoom factors.
With the ability to produce clear, steady images in all situations and at any zoom length, the PowerShot G12 is the camera you'll want to take everywhere.
2.8-inch Vari-angle LCD with 461,000 dots plus an optical viewfinder
The PowerShot G12 gives you a large 2.8-inch PureColor System LCD screen for excellent control when framing your shots. But size is only part of the story. Canon's PureColor System LCD offers spectacular color, resolution and contrast even at an angle. The screen is durable and easy to see. It is a perfect feature for gathering friends and family around to see your images.
5x Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer, plus a 28mm Wide-Angle Lens
The camera is equipped with a long, 5x Optical Zoom, and Canon's own Optical Image Stabilizer Technology keeps images steady and blur-free all through the zoom range--even in low light--by detecting motion and generating a corrective signal. Because it is an optical system, more corrective movement is allowed and there is no degradation of image quality.
The G12 is a highly versatile camera with a wide-angle zoom lens that reaches all the way from 28mm at the wide end to 140mm at the telephoto end (35mm format equivalent). You'll capture more image in every shot, and add greater depth to your overall photography.
Optional accessories including Speedlite flashes, underwater housing and Tele-Converter Lens are available
The PowerShot G12 is compatible with the Speedlite flash series intended for all EOS series SLR cameras. Attach a Speedlite flash to the hot shoe, then you can set and control the flash on the "Flash Control" menu in the camera. With a Speedlight, the G12 is given extra functions such as autoflash metering, FE lock and Flash exposure compensation; continuous shooting with external flash. Also Canon's Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 enables you to have multiple slave flashes and wireless control. A Tele-Converter lens designed for the G12, Filter Adapter FA-DC58B and WP-DC34 Waterproof Case is also available.
High Dynamic Range scene mode combines multiple shots into one picture
Shooting in high contrast environments can often result in photos with overexposed and underexposed sections. So to tackle this problem, Canon developed the High Dynamic Range shooting mode to make select PowerShot cameras even more intuitive. Under High Dynamic Range* the camera will shoot three different exposures in a succession (underexposed, overexposed and normal) and then merge them into a single image. Underexposed areas are combined with the overexposed and vice versa, resulting in an evenly detailed image with flattering shadows and highlights.
*Tripod is required.
What's in the Box
- PowerShot G12 Camera body
- Lithium-ion Battery Pack NB-7L
- Battery Charger CB-2LZ
- Neck Strap NS-DC9
- AV Cable AVC-DC400ST
- USB Interface Cable IFC-400PCU
- Digital Camera Solution CD-ROM
Read about our customers' top-rated cameras on our review page: Point-and-Shoot Cameras
Top customer reviews
I shoot with Canon DSLR's like the 50D and 5D MkII and needed something pocketable with enough manual control plus a lot of electronic wizardy when I didn't have time to set up a shot.
This camera fills all those needs.
1. Easy to carry in a coat pocket and very light compared to any interchangeable lens camera
2. Excellent Image Quality (IQ)at ISO 80, 100 and 200, reasonable upto even 800 for small prints
3. Seems quite well built, and has reasonable control through 5 dials (total) on the outside.
4. Much more depth of field (DOF)than an APS-C of Full Frame sensor, this helps tremendously for just about everything other than artsy portraits where shallow DOF may be desirable. Great for Macros, Landscape etc. where it is a struggle with larger sensors to get the right DOF.
5. Fast startup time, and response to inputs.
6. JPegs are very very good compared to the time and effort to process RAW files and get just a little more of anything, at all, as compared to high end DSLR's where the opposite is true.
7. 720p HD movies. You can't change focus during recording, but this isn't a movie camera, get a dedicated one if you are really wanting to shoot movies, but in a pinch, this works for landscapes and anything else where you aren't focussing a moving objects and looking for a shallow DOF. Even DSLR's like Sony's A55 etc make compromises in order to get focussing when shooting movies.
8. Someone here critized the frame rate/speed of this camera. Well, it is only 1 frame per second slower than a 5D MKII that costs 5 times as much without a lens! I would never use this to shoot sports or birds in flight, no kidding.
9. The movable LCD screen is a real plus, lots and lots of uses for this, and flipping it over protects the screen, a big plus.
10. F2.8 lens, instead of a faster lens. I would take a better quality F2.8, (still a fast lens, fast enough for Pros) than a much larger F2.0 lens, if it lowers Image Quality in any way. At ISO 100, the portrait detail is almost as good as a DSLR and lens costing atleast twice as much, if not much, much more.
11. The Hybrid IS is great, have not had a single Out of Focus shot, even a slow as 1/15th of a second, and I'm old!
12. I'm adding a 270EX flash for more range and to save the camers batteries. Very cute pair.
13. I'm getting the FA(?) lens filter attachment, so I can use a polarizer filter, and so I can put on a lens cap to protect the filter. This moves in and out with the lens and avoids vignetting, and will be great in protecting the lens with a replaceable filter and keeping the lens free of dust.
Very few negatives, since you really should not be comparing this to a DSLR. If you must have a DSLR, get a Canon XS for about the same money, which then has its own limitations.
Is this a pro camera? NO. Its a great back up camera for a pro, who wants to travel light and stealthy, and get 80% of the shots.
Update after 4 weeks of extensive use:
1. Very fast response and great handling
2. Shot about 8 GB (~600 pics +25 short video clips), and only less than 10 pictures and 1 video were out of focus.
3. The Canon FA-DC58B filter adapter held up well,and kept dust away from the lens. Used polarizers effectively with no vignetting.
4. The Lowepro 100 AW soft case worked well with the camera + lens adapter, and I was able to keep an 8GB card, spare battery and filter in a small, weather tight unobtrusive package that didn't invite unwanted attention, like a SLR would when travelling and with customs.
5. Once I got used to switching modes, flash on-off, video to pictures, low-light mode, all in a jiffy, I was really getting a lot of great shots and videos. I doubt if I would have been able to do all this with my DSLR without an assistant!
6. The low light mode with IS is incredible. The noise is easily removed with software like Topaz Denoise, and the end results are good enough for the web and small prints.
1. Not much, other than keep your fingers away from the flash, and thats user error!
All in all, unless I needed the highest quality for landscapes of studio work, this camera does the trick, with a lot less stress!
I'd love to have a higher-end DSLR, but flying these days really doesn't lend itself to lugging a big camera bag with a couple of lenses, flash, etc. I gripe just taking my shoes off at the security checkpoint. And I am avoiding paying checked bag fees as much as I possibly can!
Last April, I finally decided to get something a bit nicer, and after weeks of searching through review after review, I finally settled on a Fuji HS10. At first, I loved that camera. Then, I discovered that particular unit was eating batteries with the voracity of John Pinette at a Vegas buffet. So, back it went. And I waited and continued to research.
Then, along comes Canon with this G12. Remember, I'm an old film guy, so I like some controls. But after 5 minutes playing with this camera, I was most impressed. Startup - it's ready to go in a flash. Focus - spot on for 99% of the photos I've shot (nothing's perfect), and that 1% I can peg on me for focus issues. Low light? Simply amazing! This camera's ability to compensate for low light is borderline spooky. Combined with the lens image stabilization, I've taken shots that would have required a tripod, cable release, and good old-fashioned luck with a film camera.
Sports mode is very good. While the 'rapid-fire' shots aren't blazing fast, they are sharp, clean, and quick to save. In fact, the camera is fast with saves in most every mode I've tried. And speaking of modes, I discovered one that I've fallen in love with - Nostalgia mode. With a quick click of the front-mounted scroll-wheel, one can age a photo making it appear a bit washed out and grainy. For artistic shots, this mode just made me feel like I was working darkroom magic without the darkroom!
Some folks have complained that it's too big for a pocket. I didn't really have any issues with that. In fact, I think that for everything this camera can do, it's size is one of the biggest selling points.
I just returned from a quick trip to Jamaica where I took all sorts of shots. The ones that got the most compliments were the low-light shots. And everyone that asked and showed this camera were amazed at what it was able to do.
As I mentioned - I'm incredibly impressed with this camera.