Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 71 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 91 reviews
on April 19, 2010
Ok, I have read all of the reviews saying "It's just a fancy manual". That may be the case for someone with previous DSLR experience. I, however, have never owned or operated a DSLR before my XSI. I read the manual and, frankly, much of it read Greek to me. I'm not an idiot but the practical application to much of it was lost on me. This guide changed that. Ben Long does an excellent job of writing in easy to read plain english. If you have previous experience in photography or DSLR experience this may be too simplified. However, if you have little experience (like myself) and want a good foundation to begin truly utilizing your camera's potential. I recommend you buy this. You already made a big investment in your camera now make a small investment and get the most out of it. Unless you take a photography, class this book is the best way to get out there and start shooting.
on September 19, 2010
I had just bought my new Camera and wanted to know all I could about it. This was my first dslr camera so I thought there would be alot to learn. I was right and this book was so helpful. It went beyond the owner's manual and had alot of helpful information, not just about the camera but also about photography. The great thing was all the photography information was addressed with answers as to use this camera to capture what you wanted. Great little book for XSI owner to have I have read it all once and have gone back to it many times since. The book is easy to understand, well written and informative. The only fault I would mention this is a basic book and no more.... It will leave you wanting to delve deeper if you are like myself and want to learn all you can about taking great pictures. I definitely recommend this book if you are buying your first XSI Camera
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 31, 2008
This book is great for those of us who have never used a DSLR before, but probably wouldn't be necessary for those who have. Great for the amateur photographer who just wants to jump in and start taking pictures without having to slog through the camera manual. I read through the manual first and was still feeling lost and confused. This book is an excellent reference because it explains exposure and composition plus it tells you how to find all the different functions on the camera. The author is great at explaining things without putting me to sleep.

There are several typos in the book, like maybe it was rushed to the press because of a deadline, but I was able to figure out what was being implied. The chapters flow well from basic camera controls to the most advanced photography concepts without seeming overwhelming. Overall a great reference for a great camera.
on January 31, 2013
I have owned my Canon xsi 450D for 2 years and finally decided to take a photography class to enhance my knowledge of my camera. The class, a course for beginners, was quite technical in theory, etc and I found myself quite overwhelmed after the first class. I ordered this book and it was an amazing resource. The photos inside the book help to clearly demonstrate what concepts are; the book is well written, easy to navigate, and a terrific reference. This has been a wonderful companion to both class and to everyday photography
on April 3, 2017
Great for a beginner like me
on November 11, 2009
I had never used an SLR before, although I have taken a lot of digital pictures in the last 10 years. (about 50,000) I thought I was familiar with basic photography concepts, but now I have a firm grasp after reading this book. Ben not only covers all aspects of the XSi itself, he also delves into the how and why of the digital process which I found very informative. After reading it once, and then playing with my XSi for a while, I read the book one more time to get all of my questions answered. I can say with confidence that I do not have any more "gray areas" when it comes to this camera. I understand every function and setting completely. With this book, you can squeeze every bit of worth out of your XSi. Well, this book and "one more lens."
VINE VOICEon February 7, 2010
I recently purchased a Canon XSi/450D Rebel. Very happy with it. Soon realized it offers a lot more than my original Canon dSLR Rebel, and want to use more of what it offers. So I purchased the Julie Adair King: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi/450D for Dummies book (available through Amazon). That excellent book, along with this one have very well enlightened and prepared me for using this fine camera. I highly recommend both books.... 5 stars each. This book by Ben Long is more technical, but gives tips, examples, menu options and control, as well as reasons for shooting RAW. Without being too technical it's more comprehensive in nature. Very helpful and worth your time. A must have!
on November 20, 2016
Lots of good information, but the style and organization is not so good FOR ME. I know other love it, and it does have most of the information that you will need to take good pictures.
on August 21, 2009
I had my Canon XSI for about six months before buying this book. There are SO many features on this camera and while the manual will tell you what they are, it doesn't really go into what they do or what to use them for. I felt like I was not using this expensive camera to its full potential.

I bought this book last month, am reading it cover to cover and am about 3/4 of the way through. He explains EVERYTHING and gives you suggestions on why you would want to use a certain feature. I feel like I have learned A LOT, I know the camera better and am already able to take better pictures. Even after I am finished reading I will keep it handy for future reference.
on May 6, 2010
I bought this book when I bought my new Canon XSi, because I knew I wouldn't have time for an actual course on DSLR photography. It turns out that this book is even better, as it is tailored to my specific camera. It teaches a lot of general photography concepts, as well as specific technical techniques, so you can learn a lot of what you need to know about photography as you go along.

Of course, practice makes perfect. Practice and looking at other, expert photographers' work.

The book is set up so you can move chapter-by-chapter, or skip around as your needs change. I think it's a really great purchase for a beginner like myself.
review image review image review image