Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon EF-M 22mm f2 STM Compact System Fixed Lens
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School

on July 10, 2013
So I will make my review short and sweet:

Sharpness/IQ: This lens outperforms both the 35 L and 50 1.4 in terms of sharpness at f/2. The IQ is absolutely stunning for a lens you can pick up for around 100$. It is stunning compared to a 1200$ prime. This lens blows the 50 1.8 out of the water in terms of bang for the buck. See the heavily cropped photo of my dog I added to the gallery as an example.

Distortion: No noticeable distortion.

Build Quality: Construction is nice, not L nice, but sturdy and clean.

Autofocus: Focus speed is a bit slow, but that is the EOS-M for you. very quiet.

Summary: I own a 5dmk2 and a variety of L lenses, and after a day I can say this is my favorite lens of the bunch. It is small, well built, and has the best IQ canon has to offer.
review image
33 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 22, 2014
This is an amazing little lens at a fantastic price! This lens alone is what makes owning the Canon EOS-M worthwhile for me. I have had the camera and this lens for a month now and I'm falling in love with it more and more. I'm a professional photographer who always wants to capture high resolution/quality images even in my most casual settings and this camera/lens combination does that for me perfectly. It's bright f2.0 aperture means I can can shoot at night or in not so bright situations with just available light at up to 1600 ISO and it looks great with very, very low noise (the camera actually shoots much higher ISO but noise really starts to show after 1600). Also the 22mm focal length on the EOS-M is a very group portrait friendly focal length so it make's the camera perfect for family/friends gatherings. I also own the kit zoom (18-55) that comes with the camera and it's a great lens too, great color and very sharp, but it's apertures are way smaller that this lens' are and there for it has limited usability for me. In short, this little lens is what makes the Canon EOS-M a power-house of a camera. And best of all, you can't beat the price of this system either! because the EOS-M was discontinued by Canon this last January so you can get and entire camera kit with all accessories for half of what you would pay for an equivalent current system from Sony, Olympus, or Fuji. Oh! and the image quality from this system beats all of them too in my professional opinion....
on January 11, 2015
truly an amazing lens (especially given the price) - i'm constantly surprised by the sharpness. the size is not quite pancake however it makes the eos-m almost pocketable.

i went to europe for the holidays and used this with the eos-m exclusively. i love canon colors and this glass on the eos-m delivers.

word of warning, however - it's not an active AF/MF lens like the USM lenses you might be used to. focusing manually with this lens is very strange. the ring drives the motor by wire so you can't do a quick refocus, not to mention that the size of the focus ring is so narrow it would be difficult anyway.

all in all tho, a great walkaround lens (~35mm full frame equiv) with decent bokeh to boot.
review image review image
on August 14, 2013
I own several above average lens including a few primes and this thing is the sharpest I've ever had the pleasure of using.

I knew it was going to be sharp by the reviews that I scanned through but I didn't realize that it would be so sharp completely wide open. Usually, when a lens is fast with a wide aperture, you tend to reserve that for emergency last ditch situations in low light because subjects get soft. But not with this lens.

With it completely open, it's sharper than any of my zoom lens and rivals most of my primes at their peak settings. With it stopped down a bit, it blows everything away.

Personally, most of the times, I don't like an extremely shallow DOF so I tend to stop it down and boy is this thing sharp!

Only gripe is that even with the 2.0.2 firmware for the EOS M, it still hunts a bit in low light. Not a big deal for me and also don't know if its the lens or the body because I don't have another model lens to compare it to. But I know that on my DSLR, one of my primes, EF-S 60, hunts a lot so it could be the lens.

Anyways, fantastic lens and I couldn't be happier even at double the price!
on January 25, 2014
I would like to give it 4 stars due to glare, but for its price and build quality, I have it 5 stars.

It is small, light, with good build quality. Color is generally good, partially because of default settings in EOS-M. Sharpness is really really good, especially at f2, center is sharp enough that I won't hesitate to use f2 when it is dark. I have 5 primes for 5D2, including 3 L lenses. This lens is at least on par with 35L/85 for sharpness at f2. For other lenses, I would think about sharpness when I want to use wide open, but I won't with this lens.

Bokeh is beautiful, due to its 7 blades aperture. Given its actual 22mm focal length, bokeh is better than I expected, pretty creamy, way better than similar priced 50/1.8II. The 5 blade aperture on 50/1.8II not only produces pentagon shaped dot, but bokeh is also dry.

AF is slow, with EOS-M. MF is painful. MF ring is hard to use. You have to either choose full AF from menu settings. Or you set to AF+MF. Then you need to half press shutter in order to be able to turn MF ring to make MF work. So MF is practically not an option. But well, EOS-M is not designed for MF anyway.

Glare is a big headache. You must avoid light source on your side, otherwise, you can easily get picture washed. You should also be careful with back light for portrait.

Overall, just over 100 bucks is extremely good value. Build quality is good, picture quality is good, center is sharp at f2. It might not be an apple to apple comparison, but I feel it is way better than 50/1.8II in terms of wide open sharpness and bokeh.

Compare to 35L, 35L costs at least 12 times more. It has better contrast and color, AF is much faster. F1.4-F2 is very usable. They are not in the same league. If you have a 35L with 6D/5D2/3, great, but that should not stop you to get a EOS-M + 22mm as a back up camera or small camera to substitue an old DC. For serious portrait/landscape pictures, I would carry 5D2+35L. But in many cases when I don't want to or cannot carry the bit DSLR, I bring this one.

PS: I did not get the 18-55 as it is too bulky.
on December 29, 2013
Bought this to go with the 18-55 that comes with the kit for the Canon M - good for wide views. Canon quality, WORKS ONLY ON THE CANON M Series - if you don't a Canon M series, this won't work for you on any other Canon.
on October 13, 2014
very sharp - fixed prime so you zoom with your feet - nice inexpensive quiet compact lens - what's not to like?

*** revision ***

Reading some of the reviews I think there are a few things that might be said to help others make a decision on this lens like,

1.) They are White Box Lenses i.e. they came from Canon packaged camera kits - Canon sold the EOS-M with the 22 mm or with both the 22mm and the 18-55 zoom <or> just the base unit, or with all lenses and the flash unit included in the same box and they offered these with USA warranties or as Imported units (gray Market)products.

What does this mean? - well the products are the same in manufacturing quality and design - the USA products carry the USA warranty and can be serviced by any authorized USA center vs the Imported that need to be sent out of country for service.

When you consider that Amazon will allow the return of the product in 30 days if say there is a defective issue you need to send it back - after that the seller might take it back if you ask or if not you are on your own - in reality this product is so reliable odds of having an issue are very slim - they will either work perfectly out of the box or they won't - if after a few years it fails (doubtful) just buy another - because the cost of repair would exceed the cost of a new replacement lens at today's selling prices.

2.) Yes the 22mm doesn't have IS and yes, there is some "minimal" distortion - Folks - a 22mm lens is nearly what is considered as a fish eye lens so that's normal for any 22 mm lens no matter the price point or manufacturer and totally correctable in Photoshop or other editing software.

3.) There is a lens shade for this lens - $10.00 on Amazon - get it.

4.) Be advised some of the cameras and lenses are Imported vs USA models - there is fine print listed covering this - it's not really a big deal given the cost of these cameras and that the 30 day Amazon return option will cover you as most will either be DOA or last for normal service intervals.

I have another take on if you should get the M lenses or use your glass - here's mine, I bought both of the M lenses even though I have nearly every L glass Canon makes up to the 300 mm F2.8 Prime so I have a big $ investment in L glass and I did buy the adapter however, I'm not going to use my L glass for everyday shooting on this camera - that would defeat the reason for a small camera and putting my L glass in harms way by dragging it around in the car or what ever - forget it - the kit lenses are very acceptable in terms of sharpness and overall performance ie. speed, clarity, color rendering, etc. so for a camera and lens arrangement for everyday use and go in harms way that's why I went with the kit lenses. now if I decide to do some serious stuff with the small base unit because of the size and weight savings I can drag out the L glass and have at it - I like options.
on May 24, 2016
Have taken thousands of pictures with this lens. It gets 13 perceptual megpixels from dxomark (18 megapixel eos-m original sensor), which is quite good for what it is but not does not convey the sharpness or versatility of the lens. My eos-m is no ISO monster, but with this lens I can take pictures in natural light in almost any situation, and they are generally quite nice pictures and very sharp.

My main reason for review is -- if you are an eos-m owner and have not tried this lens, it is a completely different camera using this small prime. I also own the 18-55 and 55-200, and after getting used to the image quality from this lens, both are quite painful. It will give your m a new lease on life.

Amazon preview pix often end up looking very compressed, so I don't know what they will look like...but attaching some out of camera shots.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on March 14, 2015
I originally purchased the EOS M body only, without any of the "kit" lenses that were designed to fit it. My Mother has an older DSLR with a good mid-range lens, and I wanted a camera that would be a functional equivalent to hers. The EOS M caught my attention online due to its compact size, its reputation for being "well built," and it's reasonable price tag. However, I didn't trust the lenses that came with it - the 22mm and the 18-55mm. I'm fairly naive when it comes to lenses, and I figured that truly good lenses like my Mother's come in big packages. I found a $300 Canon lens with an ultrasonic motor (recently increased to $420 on Amazon) that was reviewed very highly, and attached it to my EOS M with the available adapter. Kind of defeats the purpose of a compact camera, I know...but it felt to me like a camera is supposed to feel. The pictures that I was able to take were quite good, but even after confirming that the new firmware update was installed (and thus the slow autofocusing was as remedied as possible), I found that the lens still hunted a lot, and made a considerable amount of noise, making video literally impossible without both the autofocus and image stabilization being turned off. The USM lens worked fine for photos, and afforded me some very good zooming capabilities, but I began to search online for other options, and found that this little lens was rated quite highly. I decided to go for it, and I am SO glad that I did.

If you are as skeptical as I was, you really may never truly believe the positive reviews about this lens until you witness the results for yourself. The photos that it produces are SO crisp and clear, that I still can't believe it. In terms of clarity, it blows the $300 USM lens away completely. GRANTED - it does not zoom, which is a drawback. Also, I have not discovered how to manually focus with this lens - those of you who desire manual focus may want to consult another review. However, after taking several shots, I find that I miss the zoom less and less, as I continue to become more and more captivated by the swift and silent autofocus (not instantaneous, but perfectly adequate for my needs) and the stunning clarity of the images. I'll admit that I have no first-hand experience with the 18-55 mm lens that was designed for the EOS M, but I will say with complete sincerity that this lens, to me, is completely worth the money I paid for it. If you want extremely crisp photos with good color and clarity, and don't care tremendously about zoom, this is the lens for you.

For those of you who are still skeptical - I would recommend that you search for some full-size sample photos online. Google-search "Canon EOS M 22 mm sample photos" and find some that are pixel-for-pixel true-to-size. This will give you a better idea of what this camera-lens combo is capable of.
on July 9, 2013
For the price and what it is, this is a fantastic little lens. I was impressed with the EOS M camera, but I think a lot of the credit has to go to this lens.