Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 531 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 607 reviews
VINE VOICEon March 22, 2013
I have just finished taking my new Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS camera through a lengthy shakedown cruise. I have learned a number of things about it and will share my findings as clearly as I can.

You should know that I have far more digital cameras than one person should own. My experience with them over the years has given me some degree of confidence in what I say about the Canon ELPH 330HS. This is my second Canon camera. I also own a Canon PowerShot SX230 HS which is similar in several ways.

I am an avid amateur travel photographer and my remarks are influenced by using my cameras extensively for that purpose.

I hope the following observations will help you make a decision about the Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS.

Pros:

* The camera is quite small and a true pocket dweller.
* Mine is silver in color and it looks great.
* It takes excellent pictures with the AUTO setting, but there are many options for those who think they can do better manually.
* It has an extensive of list of shooting modes for every situation.
* It has face recognition along with blink and smile shooting features.
* The low light capacity of the camera is outstanding.
* 12.1 megapixels put a lot of detail in the pictures.
* The 10x optical zoom is plenty and the anti-shake feature keeps them crisp.
* The image stabilization feature works very well and it is automatic.
* Close-up shots are beautiful.
* The WiFi feature is outstanding technology and that makes this camera special.
* I use the WiFi in my ELPH 330 HS for wirelessly transferring photos to both iOS devices and PC computers. That is amazing.
* The camera stores images on SD memory cards so pictures can be shared with a computer that way too.
* Using the WiFi one can also upload photos directly to social networks or email.
* I used the free Apple app Camera Window to connect with my iPod 5g and it worked better than the Canon suggestions found in the DVD instruction manual.
* Paring with a PC computer is a bit tricky, but it can be done by ordinary mortals.
* The display window on the camera is large and bright.
* The 330HS movies are excellent and there are a number of shooting options available.
* There is even full HD video in stereo sound available.
* The fit and finish are very good and that means this is a solid high quality camera.

Cons:

* Setting up the WiFi feature is not all that easy even though some of it is automatic.
* WiFi photo transfer is somewhat slow, but no problem.
* The camera controls are not made for large fingers.
* I miss the manual shooting mode wheel--poking around on screen based options is too slow to be useful if scenes, locations and objects change rapidly.
* The instruction manual on the provided DVD is confusing for setting up WiFi.
* The Hybrid movie feature is strange and seems to have limited purpose.
* I have yet to determine what the body of this camera is made of. It seems very light in weight which suggests plastic, but maybe aluminum.
* One can get bogged down and confused by the myriad of options available and it is difficult to find the way back out of unwanted settings. There is a way to re-set everything just in case.

That is about all of the first impression information I can offer. I plan to carry my new ELPH 330 HS to Europe later in the spring and hope to take advantage of the WiFi features for sending photos back home to friends and relatives while I am traveling abroad.

UPDATE:

I have just returned from two weeks in Great Britain and almost 700 photos taken with my Canon ELPH 330 HS and I was very satisfied with the how it performed. This little camera did everything I asked of it. Transferring all of those pictures to my iPad and to my Windows 7 laptop via WiFi was a perfect addition to the many other features. I am even more impressed with this camera after putting it to a very rigorous test. I bumped the camera around a lot on our trip and without a case on it. I even dropped it once and it kept on ticking. As a travel camera it is the best of the bunch as far as I am concerned.
5150+ comments| 989 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2013
I want to use my DSLR whenever possible, but it is often not practical to take with me as a "walkabout" camera due to its size and the need to carry additional often bulky equipment. A point-and-click camera is something I still use often and can carry with me at any time with barely a second thought.

I'd previously owned several Canon point-and-click models - most recently a Powershot A2000 that I've taken almost 10,000 photos with so far and is still going strong. It is getting a little long in the tooth now though, with just a CCD sensor rather than a CMOS, and fairly limited operation and speed due to the old Digic 3 processor, (rather than the Digic 5 in this ELPH 330 model.) The Digic 5 processor is noticeably quicker than my old Digic 3 based camera - and of course it has to do a lot more as well both due to shooting in much higher resolutions, but also because the camera has a lot more automated features. The fact that this camera had the Digic 5 processor was a big selling point to me. It offers a huge improvement over previous iterations of the chip, (I won't detail them here but Canon's website provides this information if anyone is interested.)

When I received this camera, the first thing that struck me was how tiny it is - especially bearing in mind the fact it has a 10x optical zoom that is required to extend out so significantly and retract back into the main body. How Canon has achieved this is beyond me, but I'm glad they did.

Anyone who has ever used a previous Canon digital camera will be right at home using this new model. The auto mode is fantastic - I never thought I'd say that about a compact camera - and it takes great photos in a variety of environments I've tested it in, (at night under artificial light with and without the flash; outside on a sunny day and outside after snowfall; indoors during the day, outside in close to darkness, etc.) To be honest, I'm fairly experienced when it comes to photography - I know my way around f-stops, shutter speed, ISO, exposure, etc. as I own a DSLR, but for use as a "walkabout" camera, I'll probably only somewhat rarely take this camera out of "Auto" mode. The pictures are so wonderfully focused, clear and full of color. The semi-auto and manual modes are still there, (with the omission of the old "landscape" mode - although there is an "infinity" mode now that appears to be a similar thing.) There is a Program (P) mode too which I've always found incredibly useful and my default mode to use with other Canon point-and-shoot models - that mode allows the camera to handle the aperture and shutter and gives control to the user to set other factors of the photo - namely the ISO, flash mode, exposure compensation and white-balance. The camera does still retain a "Portrait" mode too, which is useful for taking photos of people up close and allows the camera to blur the background a little using a large aperture (i.e. small f-stop) automatically.

This camera has built in wireless connectivity, but, to be honest I probably will never use this capability. I prefer to copy my images to my computer and edit/crop them in Paintshop Pro prior to uploading them anywhere.

Insofar as video recording goes, I was very impressed by the quality both of the picture and the sound. I briefly tried full 1080p recording, and was quite astounded by the quality once I downloaded the video to my computer. However, for my purposes the 720p resolution is good enough, (and a much smaller file size to work with and edit.) As with all point-and-click cameras you can audibly hear the camera zooming in and out on the recording if you decide to do so. It's not too imposing though so it's no big deal. Most of the video I'll ever take with this camera will be wide-angle anyway, so I'll probably never touch the zoom lever while recording anyway.

The 12.1mp CMOS blows away all the 16mp CCD cameras I've seen and used. I know a lot of people believe that a digital camera's specification all but ends at the megapixel level, with the more the better, but this is a false belief. A camera with a good CMOS sensor is FAR better than a cheaper (but perhaps more megapixel) CCD based camera.

I'm trying to think of negatives to balance my review, but am struggling. I'd like Canon to stop ripping off their customers with the price of additional "official" batteries. True, there are cheap clones at less than 20% of the price of a Canon brand, but if the reviews on them are anything to go by, they should be used with caution and may invalidate you camera warranty if they cause damage. Ah... I just thought of a negative thing about the camera itself -- the buttons on the back are flat and almost flush with camera body. This can make them a little harder to press than with previous camera models which had raised or rounded buttons. Sorry, that's the biggest negative I can think of. This is a terrific camera.

P.S. The camera comes with a decent little "Getting Started" manual. However, there is a much more comprehensive and detailed manual available (for free) from the Canon USA website, and also on the disc supplied with the camera. Amazon doesn't allow web-links in their reviews, so I'll post the link to download the full manual as a comment on this review instead, (which does seem to be allowed by Amazon.) Anyone considering buying this camera also may wish to download the manual to ensure the ELPH 330 is the model for you, or to familiarize themselves with operating it while you wait for Amazon to deliver it.
1010 comments| 211 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2013
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Camera Review

The choices available today in digital cameras might seem bewildering. In many ways, they are, for cameras are often classified in random fashion. No one seems to know what a "pocket" camera is, what a long-zoom camera is, and what affordable might happen to be. There is no clear distinction from where "point and shoot" ends and "enthusiast" or prosumer-marketed cameras begin. It changes annually.

We hardly buy cameras based on image quality alone. As I write this, the #1 selling digital camera on Amazon is the Nikon Coolpix L820, a fairly large and heavy 30x unit powered by four AA batteries. On the same list, the #11 spot is held by the same L820 with a red case. While a lot of camera for the money (selling at the same $170 level as this Elph 330), the Nikon L820 wins no "best of the best" awards, but buyers think quite differently.

There are a lot of things to consider, if you want to be satisfied with your camera for the life of your use with it. Although volumes have been written about image quality, that isn't the main reason why folks are dissatisfied with cameras, much less the only reason. Here are a few of the most common concerns, interlaced with Elph 330 relevant comments.

BATTERY LIFE
Digital cameras with dead batteries don't work well. The current lithium-ion type of rechargeable battery isn't new technology at all. Batteries can be of most any capacity a manufacturer wants them to be, though few relish the prospect of running a digital camera with fork-lift batteries.

They are often small, for a battery enclosed inside the frame of a camera partly determines the envelope dimensions and weight of the camera. It is hard to get a light camera if it runs on four AA batteries, which at one time was common. Cameras are not totally redesigned annually, just re-marketed annually. Yet, when more features are added (better image stabilization, larger LCDs, etc.) battery drain goes up and life drops in concert. We don't want larger, bulkier cameras in general, and manufacturers like to build upon existing frames, so the quicker, more powerful zoom motors and bigger LCDs take their toll, as does advanced image stabilization arrays.

The Canon ELPH 330 HS (IXUS 255 HS in Europe) takes the NB-4L battery, and is good for about 220 still-image shots. For video, you'll do well to get 45 minutes or so, less in cold weather. As a rule of thumb, lithium-ion cells give 65 - 70% life at 32 degrees F. vs. 70 degrees F. Extra batteries are readily available and inexpensive: I always carry two fully-charged extras, in addition to the one in the camera.

ZOOM RANGE
You can't have too much usable zoom, but that of course comes with a price. The ELPH 330 has a 10x zoom (24mm - 240mm), something everyone will appreciate vs. the common 5x or 8x variety shirt-pocket cameras. Canon also has their "Zoom Plus" 20x mode, a digital zoom along the lines of Sony's Clear Image and Panasonic's Intelligent Zoom. All of these digital zooms do about the same thing. While they aren't as good as true optical zoom, they do produce far better results than older digital zoom attempts did. To say no loss of image quality isn't strictly true, but for 4 x 6 or 5 x 7 prints few could notice the difference.

SHOOTING PERFORMANCE
Waiting for a camera to autofocus or to save images to file is no fun. Canon's compact cameras have been sluggish in times past, including the SX230 that I eventually quit using in favor of a Panasonic ZS-15. Autofocus time and lag time is significantly reduced in the ELPH 330, about one third faster than their previous 310 and other models. It is a readily noticeable and welcomed improvement. Autofocus does do some searching, particularly when using zoom in low-light.

LOW-LIGHT
Invariably, when small sensors are overpopulated with super-dinky photo-sites, image quality suffers. How much it suffers is contingent on the camera's software and processor, but it does suffer. Unfortunately, mega-pixels sells cameras, and if it doesn't make dollars it doesn't make sense. Fortunately, Canon has stayed with the 12MP sensor, while others have succumbed to the large file, but lower quality nonsense.

Within its range, the ELPH 330 takes far better than average stills. It handily out-shoots several similarly sized pocket cameras at ISO 800. With low noise images to ISO 1600, less than 1.5%, it does as good or better than many cameras at base ISO.

VIDEO
Few compact cameras are ideally suited to video for reasons of battery life and image stability when not using a tripod. Enclosed batteries in small chassis make for a very poor heat sink as well. This Canon does just average in the video quality department, very dark in low light and just average quality otherwise. It isn't a resolution issue.

FOX and Disney (ABC, ESPN) broadcast in 720p HD, the rest mostly use 1080i. The hyped 1080p capabilities of pocket cameras make little sense, including this Canon as the harder to edit 1080p is at 24 fps per second, or film rate. Unless you plan on burning Blu-rays, using anything other than 720p is a waste of file size editing time, rendering time, and upload time with footage captured with a small-sensored still camera. It makes even less sense if the video is viewed on a Smartphone with a 3.5 - 4 inch screen for example.

WI-FI
Though a recent, loudly touted "feature" in cameras, it is one of very little value as far as I'm concerned. Sending pictures to yourself makes little sense, nor does spamming social media direct from a camera. Images of interest that are sent along invariably benefit from a bit of thoughtful review, light cropping, and so forth. The grand benefit of frenetically rushing to send an image of a bowl of oatmeal straight to Facebook under the guise of "sharing" somehow escapes me. While perhaps theoretically useful for professional engagements where you'd like to show images to clients immediately, it serves mostly as yet another way to needlessly drain the battery of a compact camera.

LENS
Jim Fisher, using Imatest to determine the sharpness of the Elph 330 lens, found that it scored 2069 lines, well above the 1800 lines required for a sharp photo, and dramatically better than the Panasonic SZ-7's 1563 lines. Jim Fisher also found the noise levels held under 1.5% at ISO 1600, rising to a still quite respectable 1.9% at ISO 3200. The Nikon P510 bridge camera scored 1,865 lines, while the Canon SX40 HS scored 1,836 lines. The Panasonic FZ-200 scored 1811 lines; the Panasonic ZS-20 scored a weak 1662 lines per picture height.

The Elph 330 starts out at F/3.0 at the wide angle end, fairly bright for a compact, but drops off to a small F/6.9 at the 10x end. The Elph 330's lens is demonstrably sharp, better than many more expensive cameras from many brands, including other Canon product. It betters both the premium 5x compact Canon S120 that managed 1897 lines at 24mm / F/1.8 and edges out the latest Canon SX280 that managed 1957 lines. While lens sharpness isn't the exclusive barometer for grading a camera, the Elph 330 is class-leading in this regard, and produces sharper images than several "enthusiast" level compacts that sell for more than double the price.

FLASH
The small flash unit of the Elph 330 is just average, not nearly as effective or as even (some vignetting) as the more substantial flashes found on larger footprint cameras. It is one of the compromises inherent in small, light cameras, and the Elph 330 is no exception. The best thing about the Elph 330's flash, as far as I'm concerned, is that don't need to use it as much as some super-compacts make you.

CONTROLS / HANDLING
This is a 5 ounce, very compact camera. With its diminutive form factor, less buttons, wheels, and smaller buttons in general are a consequence of retaining the small envelope dimensions. If you have moderately chubby fingers, you won't like this camera. I don't have chubby fingers, but the flush buttons and lack of a raised control wheel made using this camera in other than just full automatic, "hit the button mode" a chore.

CONCLUSION
This is a superb pocket camera, that does what a camera should do: take good images, and take them reliably. Its general no flash performance, for this super-compact class of camera, is good, despite its dark F.6.9 lens @ 10x. If you put a high priority on bulk and weight, and can live with the tiny flush button controls, it takes satisfying pictures for this light and small class of camera. If you can tolerate an extra few ounces, you'll be able to get far more out of the 7 oz. - 8 oz. class of pocket camera, though, with easier to use and more appropriately sized controls, along with longer focal lengths.

Copyright 2013 by Randy Wakeman and Randy Wakeman Outdoors.
66 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2014
I've had this camera about a week and have been able to run it through its paces. I'm and experienced shooter - both film and digital. I currently have 10 or so digital cameras including DSLRs, "bridge." `enthusiast" compacts, and point and shoots - and have owned many more. The Canon 330 HS is the newest, smallest, and least expensive of them all.

Added: Camera rating and comments still 4 stars, but at current price ($179) there are better choices out there. I bought at $119, and that was a very good value.

Overall, the camera gets 4 stars for its quality pictures, low light performance, fast focusing and short shutter lag (except in the crippling mode that takes 4 seconds of video before taking the still picture), and decent flash performance in Program mode. Canon's WIFI is not as sophisticated as it will become, and was perhaps rushed in early as a marketing device. Also,it seems Canon has simply added a bunch of its existing technology - most of which is good - but without updating nor much consideration as to appropriateness for this camera (stitch assist, inability to turn flash off in full auto mode, flash in hand held night shot, an irritating ECO mode, etc). They further omitted some technology that would have improved the camera - no HDR mode, no auto exposure bracketing mode, no high dynamic mode, no function button, etc), but included a deliberate shutter lag function with 4 second delay, which, if used, completely cripples the camera, and eliminates its use as a serious picture-taking machine. Fortunately, you can turn that function off. (If you want to use Full Auto without the 4 second video, you can push the 4 sec button to the down position and set Full Auto - or Program or a scene mode - in the menu.)

Nevertheless, the Canon 330 HS has been a fairly pleasant surprise. It takes excellent pictures in good light and is an exceptional performer in low light. It is small, lightweight, and plastic, but still does very well with pictures and packs a lot of useful (and a few not so useful) features in a tiny, inexpensive package. There are also a few "missing features," but in my opinion, the 330 HS is an exceptional value for the money.

First, the useful features - It takes good pictures. Skin tones were good. Not much lens distortion nor purple fringing, Pretty good sharpness edge to edge, with a bit of fall of when the lens is fully extended, i.e. - sharpest at shorter zoom ranges, but still not bad at the longer ones. Focus speed has been increased and shutter lag decreased in Program mode compared to previous Canon point and shoot cameras. However, the camera is still not as speedy as some of the competition, but vastly "improved." Lots of fun scene modes, like "My Colors," "Super Vivid," and some others. Macro mode is exceptionally useful on this camera. Surprisingly, there is a separate focus lock feature, which would be useful when photographing a bike or car race to pre-focus on a particular point until the desired subject reaches it. Program mode is very useful, and is the shooting mode I would use for nearly all of my shooting. Flash, in "fill" mode and "slow sync mode" performed well and automatically adjusted power based upon focus distance. The center magnification mode is very useful to check focus, and the ability to adjust the size of the focus area is a plus. IS performed very well, and its effect can be seen on the LCD in continuous IS mode. Most creative modes can be applied either before or after shooting, and some can be combined. You can mute the beeps - my preferred style, and the camera automatically shows the "blinkies" in play back mode - a very useful feature in addition to the histogram for showing burnt out or blacked out parts of your picture. You can "adjust" the exposure using exposure compensation or by simply pointing the camera to a different part of the picture, locking the new exposure by pushing the shutter button half way down, then re-framing and shooting again. There is also a useful grid that cam be turned on to assist with composition.

Second, the "missing" features - There is no provision for automatic exposure bracketing. There is no in-camera HDR mode, and no high dynamic mode to even out shadows. There is no in-camera panorama stitching. Canon has chosen to stick with the relatively antiquated "Stitch Assist" mode, meaning you have to use included software to stitch up panoramas. Of course, there are no "manual" controls.

Finally, the decidedly not so useful features - Though not unique to this camera, full automatic mode where the camera decides everything for you including when to use flash, where to focus, etc. For a photographer those restrictions and surprises are not useful. High speed burst shooting works only with initial focus setting and at reduced pixels. Flash in "Hand Held Night shot" is not helpful. It acts more like what other manufactures call "Night Portrait" mode, and destroys any ambiance of a low light night shot. Other cameras use hand held night shot to take several pictures quickly, then combine them in-camera to limit noise - no flash. However, the most incredibly "not useful" feature is the "feature" that takes a 4 second movie before taking the still picture. Photographers strive to take pictures at the "defining moment" - the "perfect" expression, the "height" of the action, etc. The defining moment is practically impossible to catch with the equivalent of a deliberately introduced 4 second shutter lag. Camera makers engineering departments have striven for years to include faster focus and minimal shutter lag in their cameras, and have largely succeeded. I can only conclude that perhaps the Canon marketing department included this feature in an attempt to appeal to pre-teenagers yukking it up at slumber parties. Using this ridiculous "feature" takes this camera back into the dark ages of digital cameras. I see no useful purpose for this mode at all.

There are also some features that swing both ways. To save battery power you should turn off all those features that consume power - continuous focus, tracking focus, burst shooting, continuous IS, flash, lowering the power on the LCD screen (makes it darker), and a few more. All are "good" ideas. However, the ECO mode dims out the LCD screen after a few seconds and turns off the camera after one minute. In my opinion, the aggravation that that causes is not worth the battery power it saves. Turn it off. Same with "shoot only" IS, meaning IS only activates when you push the shutter. Yes, it saves power, but then you see all the bouncing, jiggles, and vibration on the LDC until the instant of shooting. It is a significant distraction. I suggest leave continuous IS on. I also suggest leaving the LCD screen set to its brightest setting. It is hard enough to see in bright light sunlight. One minor complaint is that the buttons and other controls are very small. They are also recessed to make no protrusions, and for a sleek "style," but they are very hard to find and to adjust individually when in a hurry. The problem will be significant if you have big - or even normal sized hands.

As far as potential for low light shooting, I did an admittedly unscientific test for noise at high ISOs, comparing the 330 HS, a popular, long zoom travel camera, and a 2 year old "enthusiast" "fast lens" compact camera. I shot with each on a tripod, in the same lighting, and the same ISOs, then compared pictures at 100% on my computer, All were excellent up to 400 ISO. At 800 and 1600 ISOs the travel zoom was dead last, with the other two cameras about evenly matched, Then, at ISO 3200 and ISO 6400, even though noise levels went up, and some detail was lost, the Canon 330 HS was by far the best at minimizing the effects of digital noise at those high ISOs. That is a superb showing for the tiny point and shoot. On behalf of the enthusiast camera, it has about a 2-4 f/ stop advantage throughout the zoom range (i.e. a faster lens) than the 330 HS, so higher ISOs need to be used less frequently.

ISO performance was so good that I recommend just setting auto ISO, and letting it go at that. White balance performance was pretty good in auto white balance mode, but noticeably better when using an appropriate preset. I seldom use flash, but flash in "fill" mode or "slow sync" mode performed very well, even for arms-length "selfies," automatically adjusting the power according to the focus distance. Closer than arms-length will cause over exposure. Use "fill" flash outdoors to lighten up shadowed areas, and slow sync indoors to give better flash shots. Forget about auto flash. It is nearly always an unpleasant surprise, and has ruined far more shots than it has saved.

Batteries have been cited by others as an issue. I have had no problems with them, however I recommend buying some inexpensive Halcyon brand batteries (made in Japan) here on Amazon. They are inexpensive, and are rated at 1400mah, or nearly twice the 760mah of the Canon battery that came with the camera. They work fine and last nearly twice as long on a charge.

Finally, WIFI, hype, and reading the manual. First, WIFI has absolutely nothing to do with making good pictures. It is an add-on to sell cameras to the "fully connected." What Canon puts in fine print is that WIFI only works with some newer computers, some newer printers, and some newer phones. Camera makers have a "proprietary mindset," so they tend to think that their stuff should only work with others of their stuff. Hence, lenses and RAW files are not compatible from make to make. Cell phone makers are just the opposite. For them sharing is everything. Also, WIFI is new in cameras, so it's not yet as refined as it will eventually become. Anyway, WIFI works well if you have Windows 8, or some versions of Windows 7, and the listed WIFI versions used in cell phones, and if you follow the directions exactly. - (Hint - Read the manual.)

I did not try shooting the moon because of bad weather, but I'm hopeful. Older Canon cameras could not shoot the moon effectively because the Canon spot metering area was so large it included parts of the dark sky in the exposure computation which then caused the bright moon to over expose and go white. I'm hoping for better with this camera

Canon marketing hype - read the description on the product page - It somewhat cripples the camera by raising expectations to a perhaps unrealistically high level. Everything is "new," "easy," "simple.", "the camera does everything for you," etc. Even though the camera is fairly simple, you still need to know enough to make appropriate adjustments to the features that actually have some effect on making pictures, depending upon what you are shooting and the conditions. Photography is NOT a one button operation.

Reading the one and two star reviews for this camera, it is obvious that many, many people did not read the instruction manual that is only found on the software disk. I know reading is getting to be almost a lost art, but you really need to read the full manual (not just the quick start manual), to learn how this camera works. Sure it's a pain being on a computer disk, but try it just this once, and I guarantee you will be a happier, and probably a better, photographer. And, then spend some quality time with the camera pushing buttons and trying out all the features available to understand how to apply what you learned from the manual. If you do those two things I think you will be surprised and impressed with what this little camera can do.

Overall, this is a very nice little camera. It has a few niggles, but it also takes very nice pictures if you take time to understand how it works. It is exceptional in low light without a flash, and even with a flash. Yes, it is plastic and inexpensive. No, it is not a DSLR, but it is a very good camera and excellent value for the money. It is highly recommended. Best Wishes for great shooting.

PS - For those false dead battery indications, it sounds like the contacts are either dirty or not making contact. Try putting a single piece of duct tape on the rear of the battery. Trim the tape with an razor knife or scissors and reinsert the battery for better contact. Or maybe use 2 layers. To modify harsh flash put a couple of layers of tissue over the flash or tape a small cut out from a plastic milk container over it. Keep your fingers out of the way, and don't cover up the sensor under the flash. It adjusts the flash power. if the volume of your movies isn't loud enough, make sure your fingers are not covering either the microphones or the speaker. If the camera suddenly turns off, check to see that ECO mode is not activated. It turns the camera off after about 1 minute to save battery power - somewhat irritating, but easily fixable. Try to capture the defining moment in your photographs by never using the deliberate 4 second shutter lag "feature." First time I have ever heard of long shutter lag being a desirable feature on any camera. Canon - What were you thinking?! That button would be much better used as an Fn button giving immediate access to most used settings and modes. Anyway, Peace and Best Wishes for creating many, many spectacular photographs.
on April 14, 2016
I bought this camera after going through a ton of reviews and watching videos on YouTube. I wanted something portable that I could take to conventions and events with out cables or having to set up a tripod or stabilizer. This camera is a really awesome and dependable model. The photos are crisp and sharp, the video and sound quality are amazing. The front facing mic picks up sounds amazingly well. Files transfer quickly and it charges fast. Got an extra battery and I have only ever needed to swap out after several days use. Its really good for shooting in low light situations. I have not found myself regretting this camera at all. Its really the camera to take on day trips. No lens's to fuss with, no extra cords or power supplies. No time limits. Its really a great product by a great company. If I could name one flaw it would be that its so darn pricey. Its a middle range camera that performs like a higher end model. So price point is moot. I would have a dozen of these if it was practical. Its helped me with on the spot interviews and just shooting a quick vlog. Easy compact, lite. I'd be lost with out it
on April 8, 2015
PROBLEM FIXED and still a great camera. I purchased the 330 in November, 2013 and never had any problems until Valentine's Day in Thailand in 2015. I got the 'charge battery' screen that is acknowledged by canon as a major defect(they will exchange free for a 340) and tried it again during a recent trip to Europe. I was saddened because I also got a 'faulty memory card error' along with the charge battery screen. All this happened on our first day in Portugal and I was forced to use my cellphone to take pictures. Another amazon reviewer wrote the charge battery problem could be resolved by inserting a folded piece of paper between the battery and the door where the battery and memory card meet. I have taken over 200 pictures with no problems with the battery and also having replaced the older memory card. I was looking at the 340 and did not want the higher 16 pixel and there were no other alternatives for me to replace the 330. THANKS SO MUCH TO THE REVIEWER who posted this easy fix. I love the size of the camera and the picture quality is great for my my frequent international travel. It takes great daylight pictures in the bright sun and during cloudy days, and more than adequate indoor photos. Before you send the camera back to canon or throw it away, try the simple folded paper fix-it really works.
on January 25, 2016
This was my Christmas present from my best friend and I couldn't have been happier with it. I was wanting a really nice camera that could take good pictures in the dark that my phone couldn't, so after a lot of research I decided to pick this one up!

I'm not a professional photographer, so this review is from your everyday user who knows a little bit about electronics. In college, my graphics design teacher told me he preferred Canon cameras because their colors were the truest to reality. Some cameras that you see take extremely saturated photos that really don't look realistic. This camera goes right along with that, and takes pictures that remain true to their colors.

12.1 Megapixels may not sound like a lot these days, but you also have to take into consideration how the chipset processes the pictures. From what I understand, this one does the job better than cameras that have many more megapixels and an underperforming processor.

The settings on the camera are really nice, with my favorite being the smooth skin setting. I like to edit my photos, and this saves a lot of time when you're having a bad skin day. The photos come out looking very realistic, and don't have a filter like quality to them - just a reparative effect. I love it!

The wifi connect is okay. You have to download an app to your device, and then connect to the wifi through your settings. From what I understand, this is a little bit of a pain compared to competitors who are much more user friendly. Still, I find picture transferring to be a snap while I'm on the go in the car. I can just zap the pictures to the ipad and see them in great detail.

Low light pictures, when the settings are set correctly, are really fantastic looking and natural. No super dark pictures where you can't make out the details. Sometimes you have to adjust the settings as to make sure the flash doesn't drown out the picture, but that's part of the fun of getting a new camera.

The zoom is incredible on this camera! It's like taking a picture using binoculars sometimes. Also, the close up pictures turn out really well. My mom does a lot of coin collecting, and we are able to take great closeups this one.

The video quality is good, and you can take full HD video, but it's not at 60 fps. It's only at 30. In a sea of other machines that can do fullHD at 60fps, that's a little disappointing. However, I have found 720 to be great for Youtube videos and video editing.

For the price, you really can't beat this camera. It gets great reviews, and is often referred to the Youtube Camera. It's a sturdy camera that's small enough to take along with you, and it's very powerful for a point and shoot. You won't be disappointed!
on March 22, 2014
This is my second Canon ELPH camera, this one replacing a ELPH 100. Same pixel count, but I wanted the extra zoom and Wi-Fi.

Battery lasts quite a long time. Over 300 shots and 12 short 1080p videos taken in a 3 day period, it was charged each night, but the battery meter showed close to full at all times. So I'm guessing 100+ photos a day with no noticeable drain on battery. Additional batteries (for those who take A LOT of pictures) can be found here cheaper than cheap....$15 for 2 AND an extra charger.

Image stabilization works well, recycle time is minimal. Have taken some pretty awesome photos and 1080p video with both my ELPHs.
Is it as good as a top of the line SLR style camera? Probably not. But it IS one of the best compact cameras you will ever find.
I bought similar spec Samsung, Nikon and Fugi cameras (later sold on that auction site) before settling on this model.
This camera for me is a MUST when traveling.....I bought a compact case for it that clips onto a belt loop, and that's where it stays when out of town (case is only 3"x4"). So small, you never notice it, but EXCELLENT pictures. My cellphone has a higher pixel count, and DOES take good pictures.....but no where near as good as this camera, and the 10x zoom can't be beat on a compact.
Where this camera REALLY shines, is the 1080p video. Nice crystal clear video, with pretty decent sound. This thing takes better video than most "stand alone" camcorders sold today.
There have been a couple menu changes between the 100 and 330 series....but you get used to them quickly.

I'm not a professional photographer, and have never used half the features on cameras I have bought. But I DO know a good picture when I see one, and I do love the small form, ease of use, and excellent output of this camera. My ultimate test is how well photos/videos look when displayed on my 60" TV....and all I can say is "WOW"!!!

I HIGHLY recommend this camera for anybody wanting a good, dependable point and shoot. Don't let the small size fool you... it packs a punch.
on September 22, 2014
I have two of these, which I have used successfully on several 3 days kayak trips and on three solo bicycle tours over the past year, totaling 9,000 miles, in the western USA, Mexico, and Europe. Overall, they have worked well.

Things I like:
1. Image stabilization works well. Enables one to take photos at dusk, down to 1/8 sec, without blurring, and also from a bobbing kayak under normal lighting.
2. Zoom works well. I use this a lot.
3. Photos come out looking good, although I am not a pro photographer. I have used perhaps a thousand for my 5 blogs.
4. Easy and fast to upload the latest photos (the camera keeps track) to my Dell XPS13 Ultrabook. The Canon Camera Window software works fast and is easy to use. It copies my latest photos to folder(s) named according to the date taken.
5. Cameras have worked well under extreme temperature ranges (25F to 105F), across several deserts and into the mountains, up to 12,200 ft (Trail Ridge Road, Rocky Mountain NP).
6. Video works well. I have taken short videos of dancers in México, which I posted on U-Tube. No complaints.
7. 10 sec timer works well. I use this often.
8. It is light and compact, and relatively inexpensive.
9. High resolution allows one to crop the photos and still get a good picture.
10. Close-Up mode (6”or closer) works well, however, the rangefinder sometimes gets confused. One must check that the “flower” symbol appears or the picture may be blurred. I have taken many close-ups of flowers, insects and bike items, etc.
11. Flash is OK, although often I turn this off and get a better picture, even in poor light.

Things which could be better:
1. The auto-retracting lens cover is fragile and bends easily, after which it stops working. It can become dented easily when in one’s belt pack, owing to pressure from other objects. I have had to remove both lens covers, such that the lenses are always exposed. They would then gather dust or smudges. Recently I solved this problem by keeping the camera in its own separate pouch on my belt. Had I done this earlier, I might have prevented the damage to the lens covers. The cameras still work OK, however.
2. I dropped on and fractured half of its rear display. However, still works. This became my spare. (I know, I should not have dropped it).
3. Battery life could be better. The standard batteries (760 mAh) sometimes give perhaps 50 shots before the message “recharge battery” pops up. This may be fake, as I find if I remove and replace the battery it will continue for another 20-30 shots. I purchased several 1200 mAh batteries and these worked a little better but perhaps are good for 100 shots. Fortunately, recharging is quick. I therefore carry a spare battery each day.
4. I tried to get the Wi-Fi to work but it was too much of a hassle. However, easy to connect to laptop using a mini-USB cable. Quick downloads.
on August 10, 2016
My primary camera is a Canon Rebel but I bought the Canon PowewrShot ELPH before taking an international trip because I knew there would be times when I wanted to have a camera but maybe not such a high profile camera as my Rebel. This camera served the purpose perfectly. I was able to take pictures while walking through the market place and riding in the taxi without drawing too much attention to myself. I love the zoom and size. I also got great videos while riding in the taxi.

I keep it in my purse all the time. Yes, I know we all have good cameras on our phones but when I want to zoom in on something, I like this camera over my phone.