Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Canon EOS-1D Mark II 8.2MP Digital SLR Camera (Bod..." and save over 90% off the $6,499.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Canon EOS-1D Mark II 8.2MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 8.2-megapixel CMOS sensor--3:2 aspect ratio the same as in 35mm cameras
- Compatible with Canon professional EF lenses (except the EF-S line)
- Continuous shooting 8.5 frames per second at full resolution; rugged, weather-resistant magnesium alloy
- Supports both CompactFlash Type I and II and Secure Digital (SD) memory cards
- Powered by rechargeable NiMH battery pack; connects to PCs and Macs via FireWire and USB 1.1
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers also shopped for
Special offers and product promotions
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Compare to similar items
|Shipping||—||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Available from these sellers||eDigitalUSA||Amazon.com||Wall Street Photo||Wall Street Photo||Wall Street Photo|
|Screen Size||2 in||3.2 in||—||2 in||3 in||3 in|
|Focus Type||Automatic with Manual||Automatic with Manual||Auto; Manual; Continuous Auto||Automatic with Manual||Automatic with Manual||Automatic with Manual|
|ISO Range||100 - 1600 in 1/3 stops, plus 50 and 3200 as options||100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800, 25600, 51200 (50, 102400 and 204800 with boost)||Auto, 100-51200||200 - 1600 in 1/3 stops, plus 100 and 3200 as options||Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, (12800 with boost)||400|
|Item Dimensions||3.15 x 6.14 x 6.22 in||3.27 x 6.22 x 6.46 in||7 x 9 x 7 in||3.15 x 6.14 x 6.22 in||2.91 x 5.83 x 4.37 in||2.8 x 5.7 x 4.2 in|
|Item Weight||3.45 lbs||2.95 lbs||0.66 lb||3.49 lbs||1.9 lbs||1.5 lbs|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||8.2 megapixels||18.1 megapixels||8.8 megapixels||4.2 megapixels||18 megapixels||8.2 megapixels|
|Photo Sensor Size||APS-H||Full frame (36 x 24 mm)||Full-frame (36 x 24mm)||APS-H||APS-C (22.4 x 15mm)||APS-C|
|Style Name||—||Base||Body||—||Body Only||20D Body & EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens|
|Video Capture Resolution||—||1080p_hd||4096 x 2160 (4K), 1920 x 1080 (Full HD)||—||1080p_hd||2544 x 1696|
|Viewfinder||Optical (pentaprism)||Optical (pentaprism)||Eye-level pentaprism||Optical (pentaprism)||Optical (pentaprism)||Optical|
Canon's EOS-1D Mark II (successor to the original EOS-1D) is the ultimate professional digital SLR. Nearly doubling its predecessor's resolution to 8.2 megapixels, it also offers an improved shooting buffer for continuous shooting 8.5 frames per second at full resolution--making it the world's fastest digital SLR (as of January, 2004). It also features a faster DIGIC II imaging engine, a rugged yet lightweight weather-resistant magnesium alloy construction, capability for custom and personal presets, and dual storage slots for CompactFlash and Secure Digital cards.
Optics and Resolution
Canon's newly developed single-plate CMOS sensor with 8-channel reading technology delivers exceptional image quality, with approximately 8.2 million effective pixels (8.5 million total pixels) and a generous 28.7 x 19.1mm image size. The sensor's 3:2 aspect ratio is the same as in 35mm cameras, and the sensor's large size realizes an effective angle of view that's just 1.3 times the focal length indicated on Canon EF lenses. It features 3504 x 2336, 3104 x 2072, 2544 x 1696, and 1728 x 1152 pixel resolution settings.
A new on-chip noise elimination circuit eradicates fixed pattern and random noise. A low-pass filter placed in front of the sensor reduces false color and moire effects, while the infrared filter suppresses red fringing caused by sensor reflections and fog.
New Digital Photo Professional image processing software is provided for high-speed processing of lossless RAW files. It enables real-time display and immediate application of adjustments to images and includes a wide array of RAW, TIFF, or JPEG image editing functions, which give control over variables such as white balance, dynamic range, exposure compensation and color tone. It supports sRGB, Adobe RGB, and Wide Gamut RGB color spaces.
Digic II Imaging Processor
Canon's newly developed, state-of-the-art DIGIC II imaging engine achieves super high speed processing that results in continuous shooting of 8.2-megapixel images at 8.5 fps in maximum bursts of 40 (JPEG format) or 20 (RAW format) shots. By handling larger volumes of image data, DIGIC II also contributes to lower power consumption: up to about 1,200 shots can be taken on a full battery at 20 degrees C, or around 800 shots at 0 degrees C.
The new 230,000-pixel, 2.0-inch color TFT LCD offers nearly twice the resolution of monitors on other EOS digital models, nearly 100% coverage of JPEG images, and a new bolder typeface that simplifies reading of text menus. Photos displayed on the LCD monitor can be magnified from 1.5X to 10X in 15 increments, allowing you to check the focus and exposure of images with high precision.
You can easily tailor the EOS-1D MARK II to meet your own specialized needs:
- 21 Custom Functions with 67 settings include the removal of the ISO speed extension setting to the ISO speed extension menu, the addition of new E-TTL averaged autoflash metering, and the inclusion of AI Servo continuous shooting, which was previously a Personal Function.
- 25 Personal Functions can be installed in the camera at any time, via driver software, to meet high-level customization needs. New features include the ability to append data for data verification and the ability to apply the Quick Control Dial's ON/OFF switch to the Main Dial to prevent accidental changes to settings when shooting remotely with EOS Capture.
- Images can be recorded in the JPEG image format, the RAW image format, or both formats simultaneously.
- Seven Color Matrix settings are provided for JPEG and RAW images, including five factory presets that were previously available and two new settings that allow independent user adjustment of color space, color saturation, and color tone within a prescribed range.
- ISO speeds are selectable in 1/3 increments (100-1600) and may be set as low as 50 or as high as 3200 through the ISO extension menu.
- It offers 10 selectable white balance modes and a new WB Compensation function, which allows adjustment of blue/amber and magenta/green biases in +/-9 steps, as well as combined use of light-balancing (LB) and color-correction (CC) equivalent digital color filters.
- Canon's improved Evaluative Through-The-Lens (E-TTL) Autoflash system offers new averaged metering in addition to the evaluative metering available on other EOS models.
- Designed as a serious tool for professionals, the EOS-1D MARK II offers rigid magnesium alloy in the chassis and external covers (top, front, rear and memory card slot cover).
Canon's lineup of professional EF lenses--including over 50 models ranging from 14mm ultra-wide-angle to 1,200mm super-telephoto--are compatible with the new EOS-1D Mark II (except the EF-S line). Canon's sophisticated electronic lens mount technology communicates with the camera as soon as the lens is mounted to transfer information about the lens, such as its type, f-number and focal length, thus enabling faster, more precise control from the camera.
EF lenses offer professional capabilities that meet wide-ranging needs, including such features as an Ultrasonic Motor that silently drives the autofocus mechanism with very high precision, an Image Stabilizer that automatically compensates for camera shake via microcomputer, advanced aspherical optics, fluorite lenses, Ultra Low Dispersion (UD) lenses, and Super UD lenses.
Storage and Transfer
The EOS-1D Mark II offers support for both CompactFlash Type I and II (making it MicroDrive compatible) and Secure Digital (SD) memory cards. Images can be recorded on a CompactFlash card or SD memory card alone; on both cards at the same time as a safeguard against losing important data; or on both cards, one at a time, to maximize storage capacity. It connects to PCs and Macs via FireWire (also referred to as IEEE1394, or i.Link) and USB 1.1 (which activates PictBridge printing capabilities).
Power and Size
The camera is powered by a rechargeable NiMH (nickel metal hydride) battery pack (NP-E3, included); it also requires one CR2025 for date and time settings. It measures 6.1 x 6.2 x 3.1 inches and weighs 43 ounces (camera body only without batteries; battery adds 11.8 ounces).
What's in the Box
This package includes the EOS-1D Mark II digital SLR camera body, rechargeable NiMH battery (NP-E3), AC adapter (DCK-E1), CR2025 battery, and USB and FireWire (IEEE1394) cables. The CD-ROM includes EOS Viewer Utility software for faster image preview, and Digital Photo Professional software for high-speed processing and handling of RAW images. It is compatible with over 60 Canon EF lenses (excluding EF-S lens) and the entire Canon EX series Speedlite flash range.
Legal DisclaimerFULL 14 DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE, FULL 90 DAY PARTS AND LABOR WARRANTY.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Update - Sep 19,2017 - After 6 months, the shutter is dead after only 2708 images. Should have suspected as much with as dirty as it was when I got it. If I had to do it over again, would have probably saved a little more for a slightly newer camera that was actually taken care of.
One thing I would caution against- I recently bought a third party battery replacement and the housing doesn't fit on it right. Only buy Canon batteries for this camera. The crack in the housing between the battery and camera is not worth the money you save with third parties.
Before buying the 1D Mii, you should know a few things:
1. It's easy to overlook the spec that the camera's USB connection is 1.1 not 2.0. This is 40 times slower, and Canon clearly intended the Mark II to be connected via firewire. That said, I occasionally use it with my laptop on the road, which only has a USB connection. It's convenient that the port is there, but my 1GB CF card takes a good half hour to empty.
2. By the time you've attached a solid L series or comparable lens to this camera, it weighs enough that lugging it around on your shoulder, even without a camera bag full of tricks, is quite a burden. Also, I was talking to a professional photographer who wouldn't buy the model just because cameras this heavy give her wrist trouble. If you've NEVER held a camera this size in your hand, I recommend borrowing one first or checking our your local camera store, even if you do ultimately buy from Amazon.
3. The camera conveniently supports both SD and CF cards. Unfortunately there's no way to copy between the two cards using the camera. It's not a gigantic deal, but there were times I had to wait to get home from a trip to free up the SD card when I didn't have a camera cable, but just an external CF reader.
Those are really the only 3 things I wish I'd known before I bought the camera...but would they have affected my purchase? Probably not! As I said, I bought the camera by mistake. Has it been loads of fun? Definitely. I have prints almost as good as medium format - at 100 times the convenience.
between myself and the seller was impressive!
I have already recommended my photography friends to check out the cameras, lenses and all of the additional items available.
I love the camera and it works perfectly!!!!
Charging of the battery to full takes 2hrs. If you have memory on the battery from repeated charges without complete depletion, you can recondition the battery with the included charger. It just takes 8hrs. While many lament the fact that no Li-ion battery was included, Canon seems to have anticipated the needs of professionals in the field.
One also has the option of being plugged into the AC outlet and not dependent on batteries.
Reading the manual takes a bit of time. The camera has endless customizable functions which can be overwhelming at times. Not that it should deter you, but one will rarely need all those functions anyway.
Using the camera did not seem too difficult. Many functions need the use of two buttons, which may take some getting used to. Navigating through the menu was confusing initally, but improved as time goes on.
Autofocus speed is responsive and sharp. Shooting at high ISO's (>1000) had minimal noise. Looking at some of my pictures taken with 1 fluorescent light in the room and an ISO of 1600, appeared as if a flash was used. Photos of my black lab was incredible considering the ambient light and high ISO.
The camera is always ready to go. If you are in the manipulating within the depths of the menu heirarchy, and want to suddenly take a shot, just press on the shutter button, compose, focus, and shoot. Its quick and responsive. Incredible...!
Some may be wondering the sizes of the pictures. JPEG's have 4 sizes and range from 1 - 2.8 MB; RAW files are 8.4MB.
One can take an average of 800 - 1200 shots on a full battery charge--assuming one has the capacity to hold it.
Prints on my i9900 are outstanding.
Cost is a pretty penny and then some. Also consider that Amazon is an authorized Canon reseller. Many of the rebates require that you purchase from an authorized reseller to be eligible for the rebates. Also, some of the internet deals for the camera are not from authorized resellers.
Overall, a very impressive camera. The cost for many may be prohibitive for many. The EOS 20D may be a more cost effective alternative, but I do NOT regret my decision one bit.