Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 87 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 92 reviews
on December 27, 2010
So far this book has been a great help when using my 60d. It starts with 10 basic settings that the author recommends you tweak. Although you can find them in the camera's manual there is no explanation on what they do. This book provides an explanation, along with the steps needed to change them. For example she recommends turning off the setting that allows you to take a picture without a camera card in the camera. I have actually run in and grabbed my camera to take a quick picture only to find out my card is still in my computer after I take the picture. I never even thought about changing that setting.

This book seems more geared toward the novice-intermediate but every level will get something out of it.

Once I get deeper into it I will update but for now I recommend it for new 60D owners.

Update: I wanted to add that now that I have finished the book I would recommend it more for the beginner 60D user. A majority of the chapters get into photo techniques that many users who have DSLR experience might already know. I still recommend the book and loved the rather large photo examples she uses to point out the techniques used.
11 comment| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2011
I bought this book immediately after buying a 60D as a supplement to the Canon manual. This book is great for photographers of all levels because it covers many of the common photograhy techniques with explanations for how to achieve the desired effect with the features available on the 60D. New photographers learn technique and mechanics, while experienced photographers will quickly learn how to adapt the 60D to their existing style of photography.

I have almost 30 years of nature photography experience at a hobbiest level. The 60D was my first digital camera at this level. Having only used digital Rebels before, this book quickly showed me the new features and I particularly liked the first chapter on 10 initial tips for setting up your camera. It's one thing to know a feature exists, it another to know when you should or shouldn't use it. This books helps clarify the questions.

I highly recommend this book to all photographers with a 60D. The explanations are clear and the photos not only provide good examples of the cameras features but also provide inspiration for your own creative abilities.
on May 10, 2011
After ordering a new Canon EOS 60D and getting back in to photography I needed to learn how this digital stuff works. This book is spot on. I received the book before the camera came, and after reading the first two chapters and taking delivery of the camera I was able to open up the box and set up the Canon EOS 60D and begin shooting with in an hour WITH OUT OPENING the Canon Users Guide. Yes I still have to consult the users guide for a few technical things now and then, but only because I am much father along than I would have been with out this book.

Nicole takes the time in the first two chapters to explain the how and why of what she feels are the 10 most important basic settings of the Canon 60D much better and quicker factory user's manual. The next chapters go into the factory settings on the camera and then basic principals of photography and how to apply the setting of the Canon 60D to the wide Varity of areas of digital photography.

The book is well laid out with some very inspiring photos. The subjects and information presented are arranged in a captivating format for beginners as well as someone with experience. The chapters are followed up with a list practical application challenges that will enhance the readers skill with technical aspect of using the camera.

If the Canon 60D is your first digital single reflex camera, or you just upgraded to one, than then this book should be your next purchase. In the first 3 chapters you will learn things about the basic setting on this camera (as well for any DSLR camera) that you may not experience in years of digital photography.
on February 1, 2015
This book tells not just WHAT to do, but WHY to do it! The manual says "to do thus-and-such, do this". This book says, "you may want to do thus-and-such, and here's why and what it will do for you." There are so many terms in the manual that I don't understand (not being a pro photographer), but this book explains them. I have used several software programs to process my pics. They allow you to make changes to the "histogram", and make all kinds of changes. But since I didn't know what the terms meant, this meant nothing to me and I never used them. This book explains all that! And it also says things like "unless you're a pro, don't bother messing with this" e.g., in suggesting the format to save in ("raw", ".jpg" etc.) it suggested the .jpg unless you were a pro and going to manipulate and expand the picture. This one suggestion made the difference between the card holding something like 1000 shots and 100. Thank you for suggesting this book!
on June 13, 2016
This Kindle version did not reproduce photographs within the chapters very well - a big loss from printed version, I have both versions and would recommend PRINTED version if you are really wanting to learn from this book, and only want one version.
on March 21, 2013
All in all, I'm glad I bought this book. It is a little hard to rate it because the consumers interested in this book will be at all different levels of experience and knowledge and the author had the task of finding that middle road in order to provide worthwhile information to serve many levels.

I've had the camera (my 2nd DSLR) for 2 years and I've been very heavy into photography for about 5 years. But, like many, I tended to use the same familiar functions for my specific interest (bird photography). With that perspective in mind, this is what I thought:

Her tips on locking in certain functions as soon as you get your camera (and the reasons why) were excellent! Some were no-brainers, but many would save the less-experienced hours of pouring over the manual with dedication and determination to become aware of these ways in which your camera can be adjusted to make your photos so much easier to take AND improve the quality. How wonderful to be able to take advantage of the camera's "intellegence" as we get to use as much or as little artistic control we personally choose. Most people with little background in DSLR's wouldn't realize these settings even exist, so for the beginner, this section is invaluable. It happens that I had set up my camera in all the same ways, but I'd spent untold hours educating myself to get to that point!

The book was laid out well, with many photographs, complete with her listing the settings used and why those settings were chosen. For me, it was mostly review but served to remind me that I'd gotten a bit sloppy with my ISO, Lower is better. I'd gotten in the habit of simply keeping it in "good" range. She touched on a number of areas I knew little, to nothing about, and it is enough to get me started in learning these techniques.

Where it opened up my eyes and got me excited in getting more out of my photography is when she wrote of some of the advanced settings...the ones that we (I) figured I'd check out later (and later never happened)...the ones near the back of the camera manual. Her photos and explanations of where to find these settings are very easy to follow. Never again will I have to see one of my photographs and wish that I knew how to get rid of that tint that ruins the color (white balance). A simple setting had been at my fingertips the whole time!

The only reason why I didn't give this book 5 stars is because of the nature of the beast. I did find myself, at times, wishing she'd gotten more into a photography concern that I am personally interested in. Keeping it fairly simple is good. Get even deeper into it and I'd be one happy camper!
on September 3, 2013
This is a fantastic book for those new to the Canon Rebel DSLR. I hadn’t picked up an SLR since about 20 years ago when they still had light meters and film. But that trusty old Pentax K1000 started my love affair with photography. New DSLRs are a bit more complex and slightly different than the old film SLRs, so it’s great to have a book like this.

This book does a much better job than the manual in describing the functions of the camera. The manual simply covers every button in an exhaustive laundry list of options. What’s great about this book is the author instead focusses on the most important features of the camera that you need to know to get up and running. Some reviews have said it’s too basic, but I disagree. Great photography is about getting the basics right. Of course, advanced techniques and composition don’t get a lot of coverage in this book, but that is not the purpose of this book.

Full of large full-cover photos and diagrams, this book is an invaluable reference guide to the Canon. I have a slightly different model so not all of the functions are exactly as described, but it is close enough that I would say the book is still useful.

Worth the money.
on December 31, 2014
I've owned a Canon 60D for almost 3 years now, and I just recently purchased this book. While I have figured some settings out through trial and error (and the basic black and white owner's manual), I wish I had this book when I first received my camera as a gift. The book is written in plain English that's easy to comprehend, and I love that it is in color. The author does an excellent job of explaining the camera's features and why and when to adjust them. I learned so much in just reading the first few pages, it's like a lightbulb went off my mind. I highly recommend this book to all owner's of the Canon EOS 60D, especially if you are an amateur photographer, such as myself. Your photos will thank you for it!
on July 15, 2017
A manuel that is actually easy to understand! Your camera can do a lot more then you give it credit for!!
on January 17, 2012
If you are a new owner of a Canon 60D camera, you will love this book. Nicole identifies all of the camera controls, locations as well as how to utilize the camera's programable settings to get the desired results. She does a great job of discussing prime, wide angle and telephoto lenses, the mechanics of how they work as well as the applications for each lens. Her style of writing in clear, concise and easily understood. Each chapte discusses in depth a specific facit of photography. Subjects such as flash, indoor and outdoor lighting, action and still settings, depth of field and picture composition are reviewed. Each chapter has plenty of pictures so you can clearly relate her instructions to the end product. The book has been an enormous help for me to learn how use all the features on my camera and to turn snapshots to great shots.