Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon EOS 40D Guide to Digital Photography
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
இ Fuzzy Wuzzy's Summary:
ѾѾѾѾ Recommended with warm fuzzies.

ѾѾѾѾѾ Excellent 5-fuzzies feature ratings:

ѾѾѾѾѾ I must admit that when I initially flipped through this book after receiving it and then started reading the first two chapters, I was expecting to eventually write a 3-star review for it. Overall, as an experienced EOS 30D user, I would probably still give it a rating of 3 or 3.5 stars, mainly because its target audience seems to be more oriented towards totally new to intermediate users of the 40D in specific, and also users new to DSLRs in general. But I selected this book because it does seem to be the best 40D book on the market right now. For a beginner/intermediate audience, I would easily give it 5 stars. But the book is thin on substance for advanced users, either for advanced users of film cameras switching to digital or advanced users of non-Canon cameras.

One of the dilemmas in writing an instructional book like this, as is also the same problem found in some software books on how to use Photoshop, Excel, or how to program code for Web sites, is deciding on what to assume readers already know before reading the book and what readers hope to learn by the time that they finish reading the book. A definitive book on the 40D will let readers wade in from the shallow end as novice point-and-shoot camera users and emerge, by the time they finish the book, as 40D power users confidently swimming in the deep end of expertise and familiarity, and knowing how to efficiently use all of the camera's settings under various shooting situations. But, alas, there is not a single 40D book out there that fits this bill.

ѾѾѾѾ Good 4-fuzzies feature ratings:

ѾѾѾѾ Even though the author mentions several times in the book that he does not want to rehash the owner's manual, a large part of the first four chapters does basically rehash the owner's manual, albeit using larger text and photographs. This book is far easier to read than the owner's manual, but due to weight/bulk considerations, I carry all of the owner's manuals for my 30D/40D cameras and lenses in my Lowepro Slingshot while this book stays at home.

ѾѾѾѾ And so I give the book 4 stars instead of 5 because my wish list for the book includes: 1) more in-depth coverage of the all-important creative and manual mode shooting situations; 2) better descriptions of the nuances of the custom function settings as applied to various shooting situations (i.e. not just mainly describing what they do, but explaining more why/when/where a user would want to set a custom function); and 3) more in-depth coverage discussing how to use the supplied software utilities and applications (after all, there are tons of books on Photoshop, but no Canon photography book ever covers much about the included Canon software). I am surprised that guide books written about Canon's EOS cameras do not spend a full long chapter discussing how to optimally and efficiently use the supplied software that is included with the camera since not everyone will have their own separate Photoshop or DPP software that they already use, and Canon's DPP software is notably better than most "free with the camera" software that is supplied with other brands of cameras.

௫ Fuzzy Wuzzy's Conclusion:

Overall, a great book that touches upon lots of topics beyond just pointing out all of the camera's features, and also going into aperture, shutter speed, and exposure concepts that entire books have been written about. If you are a total DSLR beginner coming from the point-and-shoot camera world, this book will be very helpful in describing how to use all of its dials, buttons, and menus. But if you have reached the intermediate and beyond stage of expertise, the book will not progress you much into the advanced world of manually tweaking settings to get various desired effects and it will not teach you how to compose a great shot; for that, you will have to look elsewhere.
on August 11, 2008
I own a Canon G5 and puuchased this book to see if the 40D is what I actually wanted and to get a running start if it were. I have studied some of it, read some of it, skimmed some of it, and have yet to read the rest of it.

It is well-written: for the most part clear and readable. It has fine illustrations, both in color and black-and-white. Glossy easy-to-read pages. An excellent addition to the manual, which can be downloaded free from the Canon web site. I would liked to have seen a much bigger (and less confused) chapter on available lenses for the 40D, since I am considering a purchase. If your money is already spent, this is not an issue for you.

I took away one star because there is way too much space spent comparing this model to other cameras such as the 30D, not only in an appendix, which would be okay, but tediously included throughout the book. Who cares about the 30D? I doubt that many 30D owners are likely to purchase a 40D so soon. I want to know about THIS camera not another one. These comparisons are useless. This objection about the wasted space should in no way be construed as a suggestion to not purchase this book. It is otherwise an excellent book worthy of your consideration.
on July 27, 2008
This book was very helpful to me.Since the 40d was the first DSLR that I have used, I found the owners manual somewhat awkward and confusing to use. You have to keep flipping back and forth between pages which can be a pain.
This was a well written, easy to follow,and concise guide to the 40d.When used in conjunction with the owners manual I found almost all of my questions answered.It has a good index and is arranged in a logial sequence.
The one short comming I found was not enough information on how to change focusing screens and set up the camera to use the newly installed screen. I found this step by step guide to changiing screens on the web here.. [...] . I feel I got good value for my money. Now, if someone would only publish a good guide on using the software that comes with the camera.
on July 27, 2008
This book is well written and contains very helpful "how to" information from the basics to advanced operation of the Canon EOS 40D. It also explains how to use the accompanying software for downloading your photos to a computer, as well as editing and organizing your photos. There is also a lot of useful general digital photography information contained in the book.
on September 15, 2008
This book is probably almost everything you always wanted to ask about the EOS 40D, and didn't know how to ask. Clear step-by-step presentations abound and lead the reader through some strangely omitted matters in the 40D manual from Canon. Nothing like asking the person who owns one.
Compared to Charlotte Lowry's book on the 40D, this one is not as complete, but Lowry is often overkill. Busch's treatment of the camera and it's many levels of functions is, for me, much more accessible.
Frankly, I'm glad that I ordered both books.
Now if Canon could only step up to the plate and provide such easily accessible material, we'd be in good shape.
on March 31, 2008
I used a 300D before upgrading to the 40D. This book helps me understand the many new features of the camera as it provides greater and 'easy to understand' insight on the Canon 40D (compared to the manual). Recommended!
on October 19, 2008
Any first time dSLR owner who chooses to upgrade to the EOS 40D should buy this book with their camera.

I purchased this book with the camera about a month ago. This book does a great job of expanding on the information available in the owners manual. It is much easier to search and read, and the pictures make it much more useful.

There is also a small bit of information that expands beyond the narrow focus of the camera. What I am referring to are the chapters regarding lenses and editing RAW files. These are two topics that I didn't see covered in the user's manual that are included with this book.
on April 12, 2008
This book is pretty handy and have learnt a couple more things off it. The manual that comes with the camera explains the basic functions but this book helps explain why you should you them.
on February 23, 2013
The manual supplied with the actual camera leaves little to be desired so this book is a great introduction and complete guide to understanding the Canon 40d. Just bought a 7d so this book was great prep. Smile!
on May 3, 2009
This was my first Digital SLR camera so most of the controls were new to me. I found this book to be more instructional than the owners manual. If you need a reference to take you through the full spectrum of this cameras capabilities then I recommend this book to you.