Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 438 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 472 reviews
on January 12, 2011
I bought this lens hood to go with my 18-135mm kit lens that came with my 60d. at the time of purchase it was less than $20 dollars. the generic brands are usually under $10 dollars but with my past experience with generic lens hoods i wanted to try a canon lens hood. it was basically half of the regular price so i decided to buy it. i liked this lens hood a lot because it fit nice on my lens hood and i didn't have to force anything. it was a perfect fit and slipped on easily. i also liked that when you are not using it you can flip it inwards some generic lens hoods do not have this feature so i believe that this alone was worth the extra price.
VINE VOICEon December 30, 2013
You might think that you don't need this item because you don't see any obvious flare or glare in your photos, but you should absolutely have a lens hood for every lens you own. You will notice the difference immediately. It's shocking how much better your photos look when you use a lens hood.

For the same reason you can see better when you're standing out in the sun if you wear a hat with a brim--such as a baseball cap--a lens hood will allow your camera to see better. And it doesn't just shade the face of the lens from light from above, but from the sides and below as well.

Besides that, there are the traditional reasons for adding a lens hood: It makes you look like you know what you're doing, and it protects the lens from getting scratched or broken if you bump into something hard or drop the camera. The latter reason is an especially good one because this particular $20 piece of plastic protects my $500 lens--which otherwise should outlive me.

As for the price, like I wrote above this item costs $20 or less here on Amazon. On the Canon website they sell it for $40. Enough said about that.

There may be alternative lens hoods which are the right size for your lens, but if you're using a Canon lens I recommend getting the Canon lens hood. It fits right, it looks right.

And lastly I should note that with this lens hood facing out, attached to my Canon EF-S 18-135mm STM lens, mounted on my Canon T4i, it fits fine in my MegaGear holster bag. I do not need to turn the hood around to put the camera in the bag, zippered up, at the ready.
review image
on April 4, 2013
Yes, you can get a cheaper lens hood. It's just to shade the lens from glare, and maybe protect it from a scratch, right?

This one is made to go with the particular Canon lens I own. I clicks into place smoothly. It has a velvety lining to reduce glare from the lens hood itself.

Glad I spent the extra money to get the better quality lens hood.

Just take it off if the lens hood makes it harder to get the camera back into your bag. You can turn the lens hood around and it still fits on the camera lens, in order to take up a bit less space.

UPDATE: If I need to use the T4i's built-in flash, the lens hood often casts a shadow on my subject. I am forced to remove the lens hood. But since I rarely use the built-in flash, it's not a problem for me. If you use built-in flash all the time, you might not want this lens hood, even though it has other redeeming qualities. You could also bounce the flash off a mirror, but then you'd either need to carry a mirror, or put the lens hood in your pocket. Just some ideas for you to consider.
on December 31, 2013
Canon quality original item, well built, great finishing, no marks or lines or other visible marks. Fits the lenses it is made for firmly without moving or shaking. I always buy at lest one original of those and then an aftermarket for outdoors use. You do not want the scratched and abused item on your lens when covering a formal event even if you are not a professional photographer and/or making money from your photographs. If you are going to do it, then do it with style! Expensive but that is the case with ORIGINAL.
For those needing a really good alternative try RainboImaging items. Guaranteed quality there as well, it is now my personal choice for spare lens hoods.
on February 17, 2015
Nice quality. Fits like a true Canon accessory. Nice velvet inner coating to prevent reflective bounce from hitting the lens. Nice touch! some may opt opt to have a fully closed lens hood instead of the "flower", but I guess that's just preference. Works for my needs and fits great!
on March 30, 2015
I have a Canon. This is a great Cannon Product and is very easy to attache to the lens. For any photographer especially if your amateur. This product is great to enhance your picture shooting ; giving you more options by blocking sun-rays. A great addition to a camera.
on December 17, 2015
Fits and works as expected. Securely locks on lens barrel. Don't bother with cheap 3rd party imitations. Will last the life of the lens. Protects optics, reduces lens flare.
on March 7, 2017
Fits as intended. Perfect.
on April 25, 2017
It fit perfectly!!!!!
on March 10, 2015
Fits very well on 18-135mm STM Canon Lens, but it is and remains a 10 cent piece of plastic that Canon/Amazon charges $20 for.