Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon EW-78E Lens Hood for canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on February 10, 2010
I purchased the hood and used it on my 15-85mm lens. It mounts easily, on the bayonet part of the lens, so no problem if you want to use/change filters and can be reversed for storage. Very practical. It is also covered with non-reflecting material (inside part) to avoid reflections from light.

Don't waste your money and time on some cheap product that is not going to work. I previously bought a cheaper version (other brand) that was threaded to the filter - so I couldn't use another filter - and what was worst, the hood's longest parts were shown in the photo (at the widest zoom) although the description was saying "For a 15-85 lens".

This product is worth the extra $$$. Highly recommended.
on April 21, 2010
I have used other "generic" hoods for some of my lenses and they were usually either too tight or too loose when attached, but once attached, they did work. With this true Canon hood (which does cost a bit more than the generic ones) the fit is PERFECT. Goes on easy and stays on! The only other difference is that the Canon one has a felt lining inside the hood - the generic ones don't have this. I suppose this helps to keep light from bouncing off the inside of the hood into the lens. I guess if you are going to invest in a good Canon lens that costs as much as the 15-85mm IS lens, you should just get the correct Canon hood too. I am in agreement with others that think that this hood should be included standard for the cost of the lens.
on December 3, 2013
Don't waste money on cheap knock-offs. They're not made well, don't fit well, and don't have a matt finish inside. This hood fits perfectly, has a nice cloth/matt finish inside, and even though it's pricey it works perfectly. Why put a $5 hood on your $500 lens. For a couple of Starbuck's lattes you can have the real thing.
on November 13, 2011
It is a cheap bit of plastic but the other options available are crap. I paid almost $40 for this hood, which should have been included with a $700+ lens. I took a chance and bought an $8 alternative and it caused vignetting at 15mm. It's too bad that the competition hasn't offered an alternative for under $10 because there is no reason that a lens hood should cost any more than that. I'm embarrassed to pay so much for so little, but I don't have time to look long enough to find a decent alternative.
on November 24, 2009
I recently purchased the Canon Tli and the 15-85mm IS USM. I had hoped to purchase the corresponding lens hood at the same time but, alas, it was not immediately available.

I checked Amazon as well as several other sellers with no luck. Turned out one of the Amazon merchants, Adorama, showed they had some available so I ordered from them. Turns out their claim of available stock was incorrect and I later received a back order notice from them. I certainly would have understood if the manufacture simply had not shipped this new item yet, as it seems was the case for all the other sellers, but I do feel duped into purchasing from them since they misrepresented their stock availability and will not order from them again.

That said, the lens hood is about what I expected, metal mounting ring with a matte plastic hood. It fits securely with a bayonet style mount both normally and inversely for storage.

Note: This hood will still work if you have a lens filter. The hood mount does not use the filter threads to attach.
on December 9, 2013
I always try to use hoods with my lenses and bought the Canon model this time because of the extreme range and heavy use that I anticipated for a "walk around" lens like the 15-85. I have bought third party hoods for other lenses like the 85 f1.8 but am happy with the Canon lens hood for this wider lens.

Yes, it works well, fits smoothly and is all in all a fine product just like the other reviewers have said. Of course it would be better if Canon included it with the lens rather than nickel and diming the lens buyer. My high quality Sigma (50-150 f2.8) and Tamron (28-75 f2.8) lenses all have come hoods.

Also, the cost of being about one ounce of plastic is only made to feel reasonable if you compare it to the cost of printer ink per ounce.

In any case, it is important to protect that bulging front element so I would buy this lens hood again.
on January 31, 2014
Ok, just like everyone else here I'm not very happy to spend 30 bucks on a piece of plastic. However, this product works as expected and it does have that nice felt texture that most Canon hoods do. After wasting money on knock offs that didn't fit well I was excited to get this nice fitting product in the mail. Yes 30 is a little pricey for something that should come for free but I'd probably do it over again.
on February 9, 2016
A necessity, really. Still upset canon does not include these for the EF-S lenses, even the non kit ones like the 15-85mm or 17-55mm f/2.8. Price wise, a little high, but that's what happens with OEM.
on April 23, 2013
Works very nicely at reducing flare & glare in bright sunlight. I was in an enclosed space, so the extra length on the lens was at times difficult to work with, but I think worth it overall. Really love how you can turn it around & stow it on the lens when you don't want to use it. Takes up far less space in the bag that way.
on July 31, 2012
Well with the fact that in a store this hood would cost me $55 I was a tad worried I was getting a used or 3rd party hood. I was wrong, this is exactly what I had hoped for from a canon brand hood. It had not even been taken out of the manufacture plastic bag. The inside is a kind of felt and snaps on so nicely to my lense in both active and storage. Awesome vendor for prompt shipping and great price.