Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon 6D Experience - The Still Photography Guide to Operation and Image Creation with the Canon EOS 6D
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Back to School STEM

on March 8, 2013
I have been shooting Canon cameras for years...and just upgraded to the 6D from a 50D. I almost didn't purchase the book because I figured the 6D couldn't be that different, right? But then I thought - it is a small investment relative to the price of the 6D, and maybe I would learn something new. And indeed I did! Doug Klostermann's book helped me understand every feature and menu item on my new camera...as well as enlightening me on many similar features on my 50D. I found the chapters on how the camera auto-focuses and the various exposure modes particularly helpful. I think I finally understand why I would sometimes get wildly different exposure results when I was re-framing compositions. The chapter on customizing the camera buttons has given me a whole new approach to my new camera. These were features that were available to me on my 50D, but I never knew how to use them to my advantage, or why I would want to change them. The book is well written, and easy to follow - Best read with your camera in your hands so you can try everything out. Klostermann is very good at explaining not only what the feature DOES, but WHY or WHAT SITUATION (or WHY NOT) you would use a particular feature.
The book was definitely was worth the purchase price and the time I invested in reading it. Thanks Doug! I am looking forward to putting it all into practice.
on January 30, 2013
I purchased the PDF version of this e-book from the authors website. I was (I thought) a fairly experienced EOS 60D user when I purchased my 6D camera and purchased the e-book to help me understand the different auto-focusing options on the 6D. However, I found myself learning a lot from this e-book that is applicable to the 60D and the 6D.
the book
We all know that the manuals that come with the cameras are very difficult to read and do not really explain much at all. This book however is excellent, explaining everything you need to know about the camera as well as some photography basics as well. The book is well-written and illustrated throughout with great pictures of the camera, menu screenshots etc as well as example photographs as well.

I would highly recommend this book to every 6D owner.

In addition, if you haven't checked out the authors website, do yourself a favour and do so.
on February 15, 2013
Mr. Klostermann's format goes so far beyond what one gets from an owner's manual. His book walks one through all the camera menus and options, and gives real-world applicability to the infinite possibilities this camera is capable of. He gives recommendations as to what he leaves his settings on, excellent explanations as to why, and variations one may wnat depending on useage. Can't recommend this highly enough!!!
on June 14, 2013
This is the second Doug Klostermann book on Canon cameras that I have read. I have several others by different authors, however I like Doug's style the best. He hits on all of the features including some undocumented tricks of the trade. He also explains why you might need or want a particular feature. This book is well worth the money. You will take away knowledge that would take years to accumulate on your own, if at all.
on January 29, 2013
This book helps you use your camera to its full potential!

Douglas Klostermann takes you through the features of the Canon 6D in a way the Canon manual does not. The book is intended to be read alongside the manual; it is not a repeat of the information in the manual.

Use the Canon 6D manual to learn the mechanics of a function on your camera,and then let Doug show you why you want to use that particular function and how you want to set it to accomplish your goal.

I think of Doug as my friend, standing alongside me and giving me hints on becoming a better photographer. This book is a must for new users and helpful to those familiar with previous cameras.

If you've purchased a Canon 6D, you should purchase this book and use your camera to its full potential and avoid unnecessary problems!
on September 16, 2014
Excellent book, it was well written and explained. I consider myself a technical person and have dealt with a lot of different Canon Cameras and this book really gave me some insight, and it helped me with not only the Canon 6D in which this was intended for, but it gave me insight on how to implement some of the same philosophy to my Canon 7D which to me its focusing system is much more complex. Very good book for those who are really into learning what their equipment can do, and what the stuff in the menu's actually mean and how does it effect the way you shoot. A really good read and quick guide especially if you get the kindle version as I did. I use this a guide religiously.
on March 4, 2013
Never thought an e-book could be better than a regular paper book.

This guy gives links to his pictures so you can play with them in your software to see how they come out. You can also see how the different ISO setting or other settings affect a picture. Great Idea, so much easier and it's right there. This publisher covers most everything about the 6D in an easily understood way.

A little pricey but you'll get more out of your 6D by reading it.
on February 8, 2013
This is a good book for getting started with the 6D. I upgraded from the 60D and sat down with the camera and Canon 6D Experience and in one afternoon, used it to learn the menus and set up the 6D the way I liked my 60D. If you have previous experience with other Canons like I did, you'll find this helpful to get familiar with your new camera and new options. There are some differences between the 60D, so I'm glad I had the book to go through. I also bought the Kindle edition, so I can read it on my phone while I'm in the field.

I can't say that I learned anything new or life-changing regarding photography, but used the book more as tool to get to know the 6D. So, use this to set up your camera, but buy other books to learn how to take the shots you want to take. He recommends some other good books (like Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera) and some accessories for the camera. Overall, I'm glad I bought it as I was able to learn the 6D quickly and efficiently without fumbling through all the settings myself.
on June 10, 2014
Having purchased several DSLR guides over the years, Douglas Klostermann's "Experience" e-books are to me the most useful, easy to read, comprehensive guides unmatched by other camera guides. I purchased his "7D Experience" and his "6D Experience" and continue to refer to them, while the other manuals/guides are forgotten and lost in my collection of books.

The "Experience" guides are thorough, with clear explanations of the menus, features, with useful hints and tips for camera settings (very helpful when you have a new/complex camera in your hands). In my opinion there is simply no author whose books are so helpful.

One other point, since these are e-books, the author updates them and offers the updated versions when necessary. I remember when Canon offered a major, major firmware update to its EOS 7D, Douglas Klostermann's e-book was the only 7D guide which offered the updated guide (with full references to the old and new Canon 7D manuals with page numbers, etc). I was truly grateful for that. I doubt other authors would take the time and trouble to do such work, and in the case of printed guides/manuals, that is out of the question.

I have both his guides in my iPad for quick reference.
on February 28, 2016
Good purchase for DSLR neophytes or 6D newbies who want to learn the camera fast. The included general photography lessons are a great refresher to put key concepts front and center for anyone, including amateurs who have some experience but are not immersed in photography.