Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Plus  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

Canon Battery Pack LP-E6
Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on July 1, 2013
This battery works fine, but it's not a real Canon Battery as advertised. IF you want a knock off, all the ones I found on Amazon do a great job for only a few dollars each. This battery is way to expensive for not being a Canon Battery. I wanted a second Canon battery to match the one that came with my camera when using my battery grip. As I stated, this battery works fine, but save your money and get 2 for $10 some even with charges from another seller.
on December 31, 2012
You purchased an expensive Canon camera and now you want an extra battery and possibly a handy battery grip for your Canon Digital SLR camera. Should you do buy a cheap knock off or go with the pricier OEM Canon LP-E6?

Canon batteries are designed to perform well with Canon products. I have never had a Canon battery short out or over heat on me. Nor have I ever experienced any problems with any of the four Canon LP-E6 batteries, made in China, I own. The battery grip requires two batteries, so I have an extra set for when I need to recharge the other. I can regularly go all day on one fully charged battery in my 7D, other times I may need to swap out batteries. Depending on what I am shooting, I can easily shoot 1000+ images in a day. My average is usually more around 500-600 on an active day. I'm not always at a location where I can charge my batteries daily, so having extras makes sense for me.

There are certain parts of the battery a photographer may never even think about. Under the plastic shell, quality components are required to take a charge and prevent safety issues. Some of the costlier parts are the safety components meant to prevent shorts, overheating, and other adverse issues. The easiest way to reduce the price is to use inferior components or even omit some of the safety features.

Not all off brand batteries use the shortcuts mentioned above, however it's not something that is listed on the package. I might consider reputable off brands, although Canon has been known to invalidate a camera's warranty when they can determine a knock off battery caused the problem.

For me I'd rather pay a little extra for the peace of mind. The Canon Battery is pretty cheap in comparison to what I have spent on my 7D. The Canon LP-E6 rechargeable battery performs well and keeps my warranty intact.

PROS:
A quality Canon product
A trusted brand

CONS:
A high price based on the Canon name, but is saving a few bucks really worth the risk?
on March 28, 2017
I have learned my lesson. In the past I bought less expensive batteries. After finding that they often do not hold a charge as well or last as long as Canon batteries, I now buy only Canon batteries in spite of their significantly higher original cost. They cost more but they last much longer. How much longer? I do not know as the Canon batteries I installed in my 15 year old Rebel T1Ihave not needed replaced since 2008.
on August 22, 2017
Although the description is the "LP-E6", what was actually shipped was LP-E6N. I deliberately chose this product, the LP-E6 (no "N") as it was what I already had, and knew to work. I even paid more just so I could ensure they were the LP-E6, not the LP-E6N. They were bought for use in a Canon 5D Mark III as additional batteries given my original ones were a few years old and getting tired.

I was concerned the newer "N" version might not work in my charger after reading reviews from other sites. Fortunately, they did. Just as well, otherwise they would have been returned. Hence dropping two stars - one for not being what I made a deliberate choice to order, and a second for the extra cost as I could got the LP-E6N batteries (Canon original, not a rebrand cheap-knock-off) for cheaper.

On a positive, they do appear to be actual Canon batteries in the correct packaging. As opposed to a no-name cheap replacement.
on August 24, 2012
I bought an extra battery for my Canon EOS 7D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD (Body Only) because last time I went on vacation, my camera battery died during the middle of the day. Yes, I was able to charge it on the car, but it was not the same as having an extra battery backup. So I immediately bought a battery pack after I came home. I compared this new battery with my old battery and it seems genuine. It also holds up for about the same amount of time as my other battery. There are sellers on here that will sell you a counterfeit battery, so when in doubt, buy from Amazon directly. If you love photography and take many photos on the go, I would definitely recommend you get a back up battery. It definitely comes in handy! I use mirror lock up quite a lot and sometimes I love doing long exposures at night which drains the battery quickly, so having an extra battery with me is always good. Just remember never ever put it in your backpack or pocket with out it's protective cover or if it's not wrapped in a plastic bag. I have read comments on another blog where a guy accidently put some "change" after lunch in the same pocket as his battery, which in turn burned a hole in his pants. I repeat, make sure you have the contacts covered before you store it!
on August 30, 2017
I purchased this battery almost 4 years ago, in 2013, but I didn't open it until yesterday, 8/29/17. I put it in the Canon charger and the indicator light flashed frantically. I removed it from the charger after a short while. The charger works fine with my other battery, BTW. I put the battery in my 5D, to see if it held any charge at all, and it is dead, dead, dead! Do these things have a life span while stored? Is it my fault for not using it sooner, or is it a defective battery? The battery that came with the camera at the same time I purchased this spare battery still works fine.
It does what it's supposed to do...it's a battery. I use my Canon EOS 70D 20.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with Dual Pixel CMOS AF and EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Kit to take B-Roll for my videos and I wanted to extend the life of the camera. So I picked up a battery grip which houses too batteries and I grab the Canon LP-E6 Battery Pack. So far so good. I got double the shutter count and double the recording time. I would recommend an extra battery for anyone who wants to add a battery grip or anyone who just wants to be able to keep shooting when the first battery dies.
on August 31, 2013
As an owner of two genuine canon lpe6 batteries I can add to the many positive reviews praising its overall performance. Unfortunately, I can also attest to the numerous reviews reporting counterfeit, third party lpe6 units being sold as genuine canon batteries. Having bought two in July of 2013 directly from amazon, it wasn't until well after the return period that I discovered the batteries weren't real. As a long time amazon customer, I highly recommend purchasing this specific item directly from the canon website. At this point, there is simply no way of determining just how may fakes are potentially being sold, even among reputable sellers such as amazon.
on August 21, 2017
I'm not buying off brand ones anymore. Even when they're 1/2 the cost. Why? The canon branded one's HOLD their charge for much longer, meaning you can charge them and go back in a month and they are still fully charged, that WON'T happen with off brand. Also, they last a lot longer, even if they are rated the same mAh.
Enthusiast: Guitaron September 21, 2016
Well, it is a battery. Takes a while to charge on the Canon charger, and it auto-discharges (e.g. goes flat) surprisingly quickly in storage. But it works great when used as designed--allows many photos during ordinary use, about 2-3 hours of shutter-open time for long exposures (think astrophotography). Cheaper knockoff batteries work almost as well in my experience.