Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 834 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 905 reviews
on May 17, 2011
I purchased directly from Amazon, not a third party seller, and I was stunned to receive a generic replacement instead of a genuine Canon LP-E6. This is NOT a Canon battery. It does not have a Canon logo as pictured, a stamped serial number, any indication of where it is made, or any brand name whatsoever. And the "retail packaging" is a plastic bag. If you actually want to buy a non-Canon replacement, there are much cheaper options that actually have brand names. Steer clear of this one.

Edit (5/19/2011): Amazon has apparently made kind of a mess of this. I can't find another listing that looks anything like a genuine Canon LP-E6 battery. If you look closely enough at the description for this one (which I obviously didn't do the first time), it reads like spam and clearly did not come from Canon. HOWEVER, two items to note are 1) Amazon seems to have pulled their own seller listing these last few bad reviews, so maybe they're trying to fix this, and 2) some reputable third party sellers are using this listing for the genuine Canon battery. I ordered from one that I knew well, and I received the real thing today--packaging, logo, serial number, and all. If you want the real deal, look for a third party seller on this listing that says it's a genuine Canon, and maybe that they're an authorized reseller for good measure. I changed my star rating from 1 to 3 to average out the 1 that remains for the generic battery I got from Amazon and the 5 for the genuine Canon from another reseller. Caveat emptor.
55 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2013
I've trusted Amazon as my go-to online "Super Store", but I let my guard down, and I didn't take the time to go to an Authorized Canon Dealer/Retailer. I also did not inspect my purchase upon delivery. It is now two weeks beyond the expiration date, and I cannot return the counterfeit batteries for a refund. The batteries ARE counterfeit, according to the information on Canon's official website. The counterfeit batteries I bought were the same price as the batteries sold by B&H and Adorama. Expensive lesson learned...only buy from Authorized Dealers/Retailers, inspect your items upon delivery, and promptly return counterfeit items! Canon LP-E6 Battery Pack for Select Canon Digital SLR Cameras - Retail Packaging
on May 4, 2014
I purchased this battery as a backup to my Canon 7D thinking that it was original Canon battery. Initially it worked like the Canon battery that came with my camera but it recently died. But my original Canon battery is working just fine. To replace this knockoff battery, I purchased a new LP-E6 battery from Adorama. This one is original Canon. Here is how to tell the knockoff from the original...these are my observations. First look at the battery label. The Canon original batteries will have a stamped date code...not an ink stamp, but impressed onto the label. The knockoff battery has no such marking. Second, the marking for CE, 'do not throw in trash" and the PCT marking on the original Canon battery is etched in the housing mold (tool) and is visible on the battery on the top side where the contacts are. On the knockoff version, these marking are on the main label, and not on the plastic housing. It is cheaper to mark the label instead of etching the housing mold. Lastly, the battery contacts that interface with the contacts in the camera are gold plated in the original Canon battery, but on the knockoff version, these contacts are nickel plated.

If you don't care about buying the original Canon battery and are happy with the 3rd party battery, I don't see any reason why you should pay the full price of an original Canon battery for a knockoff version...might as well buy the original. Instead by the 3rd party batteries that are typically half the price.
on June 18, 2017
I bought this battery as a back up to my Canon brand battery. It was a total waste of money and I wish I would have put that money towards a Canon battery. This battery has a ridiculously short charge life. This first time I went to charge it, it went from oragmnge light to green light so quickly. I was satisfied, until I put the battery in my camera, only to see 2 of the 3 battery bars. I gave this battery the benefit of the doubt, thinking maybe if I charge it longer, regardless of the green light. Leaving the battery to charge longer literally did nothing more for it. This battery is a total dud!!
on December 31, 2012
You purchased an expensive Canon camera and now you want an extra battery and possibly a handy battery grip for your Canon Digital SLR camera. Should you do buy a cheap knock off or go with the pricier OEM Canon LP-E6?

Canon batteries are designed to perform well with Canon products. I have never had a Canon battery short out or over heat on me. Nor have I ever experienced any problems with any of the four Canon LP-E6 batteries, made in China, I own. The battery grip requires two batteries, so I have an extra set for when I need to recharge the other. I can regularly go all day on one fully charged battery in my 7D, other times I may need to swap out batteries. Depending on what I am shooting, I can easily shoot 1000+ images in a day. My average is usually more around 500-600 on an active day. I'm not always at a location where I can charge my batteries daily, so having extras makes sense for me.

There are certain parts of the battery a photographer may never even think about. Under the plastic shell, quality components are required to take a charge and prevent safety issues. Some of the costlier parts are the safety components meant to prevent shorts, overheating, and other adverse issues. The easiest way to reduce the price is to use inferior components or even omit some of the safety features.

Not all off brand batteries use the shortcuts mentioned above, however it's not something that is listed on the package. I might consider reputable off brands, although Canon has been known to invalidate a camera's warranty when they can determine a knock off battery caused the problem.

For me I'd rather pay a little extra for the peace of mind. The Canon Battery is pretty cheap in comparison to what I have spent on my 7D. The Canon LP-E6 rechargeable battery performs well and keeps my warranty intact.

PROS:
A quality Canon product
A trusted brand

CONS:
A high price based on the Canon name, but is saving a few bucks really worth the risk?
VINE VOICEon July 11, 2014
Please watch my video on how to tell from a genuine and fake Canon LP-E6 battery.

Here's what to look out for and be extra cautious about:

1. The packaging SHOULD BE GLUED and SEALED. You're definitely going to have to RIP IT OPEN! If it slides out easily and you can put it back in and be none the wiser, it is a MAJOR RED FLAG.

2. Check the Hologram. The Genuine Canon Hologram, when viewing from different angles, should have a big CANON in the center, while tiny prints of the word "Canon" and "Genuine" can distinctly be seen individually depending on the angle. The COUNTERFEIT version just looks more FLAT and the "Canon" and "Genuine" words do not distinctly show on its own.

If you watch my video, you'll definitely see the difference and get a better picture. It is a dead giveaway. Canon's website even has a simulated image of the genuine Hologram and it should look exactly like that.

3. There should be an instruction MANUAL (yes even for a battery) [watch my video] INCLUDED in the package. If you didn't get one, that's another sign of counterfeit.

4. Check the battery code. You can access your camera's menu and select "Battery Info" and press your info button, you should see the battery's unique code. If you see just a 7-digit code and especially the numbers "bca8a8d" then it is definitely a red flag. Each battery should have a unique ID, but since fake ones are simply cloned, you would end up with something like that. Oddly, I also bought an Energizer brand of LP-E6 battery from Staples and the ID was bca8a8d, which was also shocking to me. It should usually be 8 digits. (If it's not, check for other signs that I've written)

Some other observations:
- The date stamp font on the genuine one is smaller than on the counterfeit one
- On the back of the packaging, my counterfeit one says "3347B001[AA]", whereas my genuine version packaging says 3347B001[BA]
- Ironically, the counterfeit versions says on the back of the packaging "Canon Inc. Made in Japan" (although on the fake battery itself, it says Made in China), whereas the genuine one says "Canon INC. Made in China" on both the packaging and battery.
- On the back of the packaging for the counterfeit one, where it says "Recycle" and has the number "1.800.822.8837" the font is inconsistent where some numbers and letters are bolder than the rest.
- On the front plastic part of the packaging, it says "PET" in the middle of the bottom; it should be a thin font, but the counterfeit one looks really big and ugly.

This battery is heavily being counterfeited everywhere. Be sure you are buying from an authorized dealer. Even if you are ordering from Amazon, there are also third party Marketplace sellers, so MAKE SURE it states "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com"

Counterfeit versions are becoming more and more similar that it's going to require careful attention to spot them other than just obvious misspellings; I've seen the fake LP-E6 batteries where RECYCLE is mispelled as RECYDLE with a "D". However, other counterfeits aren't so obvious right away. I'm very critical about little details, but I would not have been 100% positive if I received a real or fake one if it wasn't for the battery code -- and then later ordering the real thing from Amazon and comparing the packaging and everything side by side. I'm sure there are hundreds of people out there receiving and using counterfeit battery and not even know it. Again, to be safe, you should always buy from a reputable company.

Any seller can still claim and sell the item to be genuine, especially with these counterfeit versions looking so similar to the real thing down to the packaging, but you're definitely taking chances.

If the price is too good to be true, it probably is; you should be extra careful.

If you have this knowledge now, you know what to look out for. Canon grips are also being counterfeited (I've had bad experience with that too!), so just always remember, you get what you pay for.
on March 28, 2017
I have learned my lesson. In the past I bought less expensive batteries. After finding that they often do not hold a charge as well or last as long as Canon batteries, I now buy only Canon batteries in spite of their significantly higher original cost. They cost more but they last much longer. How much longer? I do not know as the Canon batteries I installed in my 15 year old Rebel T1Ihave not needed replaced since 2008.
on August 24, 2012
I bought an extra battery for my Canon EOS 7D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD (Body Only) because last time I went on vacation, my camera battery died during the middle of the day. Yes, I was able to charge it on the car, but it was not the same as having an extra battery backup. So I immediately bought a battery pack after I came home. I compared this new battery with my old battery and it seems genuine. It also holds up for about the same amount of time as my other battery. There are sellers on here that will sell you a counterfeit battery, so when in doubt, buy from Amazon directly. If you love photography and take many photos on the go, I would definitely recommend you get a back up battery. It definitely comes in handy! I use mirror lock up quite a lot and sometimes I love doing long exposures at night which drains the battery quickly, so having an extra battery with me is always good. Just remember never ever put it in your backpack or pocket with out it's protective cover or if it's not wrapped in a plastic bag. I have read comments on another blog where a guy accidently put some "change" after lunch in the same pocket as his battery, which in turn burned a hole in his pants. I repeat, make sure you have the contacts covered before you store it!
on June 14, 2014
It does what it's supposed to do...it's a battery. I use my Canon EOS 70D 20.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with Dual Pixel CMOS AF and EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Kit to take B-Roll for my videos and I wanted to extend the life of the camera. So I picked up a battery grip which houses too batteries and I grab the Canon LP-E6 Battery Pack. So far so good. I got double the shutter count and double the recording time. I would recommend an extra battery for anyone who wants to add a battery grip or anyone who just wants to be able to keep shooting when the first battery dies.
on August 31, 2013
As an owner of two genuine canon lpe6 batteries I can add to the many positive reviews praising its overall performance. Unfortunately, I can also attest to the numerous reviews reporting counterfeit, third party lpe6 units being sold as genuine canon batteries. Having bought two in July of 2013 directly from amazon, it wasn't until well after the return period that I discovered the batteries weren't real. As a long time amazon customer, I highly recommend purchasing this specific item directly from the canon website. At this point, there is simply no way of determining just how may fakes are potentially being sold, even among reputable sellers such as amazon.