Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon MP280 All-in-one Printer (4498B030)
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

on August 23, 2011
I wanted to get a replacement for my old Canon CanoScan scanner that was not compatible with Window 7. I walked into Wal-Mart, and it was selling for $38, and I got a "free" printer with it. It's steal at this price. Amazon should match this price.

The printer prints out very crisp and clear printouts. IT didn't require It can print photos as well. I recommend you print from the included software for the best color matching, and use photo paper. You do NOT need a little LCD screen on a printer, if you are just going to print from a computer anyway.

Since I got this for the scanner feature, the printer feature wasn't too important. It scans very at good resolution, and reasonably quick. It's a low-end scanner, so don't expect it to scan film negatives, but at $38 I cannot complain. The scanner software was comprehensive, I did not find it very intuitive.

If you must get more bells and whistles like a memory card reader, a puny LCD, and wifi, get the higher end model like the Canon PIXMA MG6120. But don't spend more than $100 for a new printer, these inkjet printers aren't really durable overall from my experience with printers, and new technology wall always come out later. Plus, these are design only occasional printing, and the quality will not match real photos printed on photo paper from a lab. Inkjet printer printouts will fade and discolor with time, and they are not waterproof.
44 comments| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 12, 2011
I got this printer after my other Canon printer broke. I had used that one for 3 years and it was a great printer and scanner. Very efficient and reliable. Suddenly one day that Canon printer died without any explanation which really upset me. Therefore looking for an alternative and researching on amazon, I wanted a printer/scanner that wasn't too expensive. I don't print massive amounts but mainly receipts, articles, etc. Rarely do I print a photo.

This printer prints better than my old Canon. The quality of the color printer is spectacular. Easy to set up and use. The direction booklet was very helpful. Agree with the other reviews- does not come with a cord to link up to your computer so that is annoying but I used my old Canon printer's cord. My one complaint which is why this doesn't get 5 stars is the printer is LOUD. Much much louder than my old printer. Its sounds almost like an old school printer printing. Other than that- am happy with my purchase for the price.
44 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2011
This all in one printer does what you need it to do. Obviously not high end but great for light use.
Amazon is offering it for $67. Walmart sells in stores and online for $38. DON'T PAY $67. Definitely NOT worth that amount.
2121 comments| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2011
It is a much better machine than I thought when I purchased it. It prints and scans and copies with more than satisfactory quality for my needs. I use it in draft mode for most of my printing needs. It does a very nice job even in that mode. I probably wouldn't use it for heavy duty photo printing on special paper, but that's not what I bought it for. Canon has a great line of dedicated flatbed scanners that do an excellent job for that. I bought it for printing and copying and scanning written and printed documents that might have picture on them and it is very suitable for that task. I never had a Canon printer before. This one turned me on to the Canon printer line. I would definitely consider buying another Canon printer copier scanner after having used this one. Since their cheapest model is this good, I am definitely encouraged to consider their more expensive models as well.
on October 6, 2011
I love this printer. I paid $39 plus tax at Walmart and even added another year of warranty for $3.00, something I rarely do. But, what is $3 for a year of peace of mind?

I use the Canon Pixma MP280 as a light duty printer, probably only printing 150 pages per week and in black and white only. My wife occasionally uses the scanner and prints in color. It was super easy to set up with the included disk and was up and running in under 5 minutes. The pages come off quickly and are very sharp, even in draft mode. I've had HP, Canon and Lexmark printers. The Canon's have been the most reliable and user friendly in my opinion. For what I'm using this one for and the price paid, I give it 5 stars.
on December 18, 2011
I have been a Canon user for over 20 years and bought this printer for my 83-yo mother to replace her 15-year old Canon printer. It took little time to set up and comes with easy operating instructions. Print quality is exceptional both in documents and photos, the latter if you're using Canon photo paper, another product I swear by, and I have tried numerous brands of photo paper. I noted some reviewers complained about the noise however this printer is extremely quiet for a printer. And, of course, my mother was shocked at how quiet it is in comparison to the old printer. She's thrilled beyond belief at the speed in which it prints, again comparing it to the old printer, which took 3-5 minutes to print one page depending on color and graphics. I am glad I read reviews first to learn it doesn't come with a USB cord and think that should be noted in the product description, if it hasn't been added yet.
on September 15, 2011
It's a very, very basic printer (not wireless and doesn't print both sides) BUT for me, it's perfect. It's (comparatively) quiet, fast and - despite all the printing I've done over the past 6 weeks - it is still going strong on the original ink cartridges. Installation was quick and without any problems. IF I had bothered to read all the reviews on Amazon on this product, I would have found it $30.00 less at Walmart. That being said, I don't shop at Walmart for personal reasons and the printer was delivered to my door. Since I live quite a hike from my parking space, just this luxury of having something delivered was worth the extra bucks. BACKGROUND to this purchase: I had an HP for years and loved it but fixing it was too costly. So, after hours of searching the web, and comparing reviews & prices, I bought a Brothers printer because supposedly the printer would work even if the color cartridges were low. This was NOT the case. It went through ink like water thru a sieve and it was extremely noisy.
on November 30, 2011
After 5 years of dependable use, my Canon MP530 stopped working. I believe it had something to do with the ink cartridges I was using because they were generics I got on eBay. I had used them successfully for years but they were the type that you had to glue the chip on, and I never found a fully satisfactory way to handle this delicate business. So I wasn't too surprised when I eventually got error messages. I tried replacing the cartridges with genuine Canon cartridges, but the error messages still didn't go away, so I suspect the sensor went out and it was time to get a new printer. This time I wanted to find something smaller and simpler; a scanner and printer to use with my desktop computer and not much else. I use a printer mostly for black and white text documents, not for photos. I send my photos to a photo lab. It is more cost efficient and of superior quality to anything I've gotten out of a home printer. I also needed a quality scanner. I found both those features in the Canon MP280. It is lightweight, simple, and attractive. The prints and scans are excellent quality. I like that it has only 2 ink cartridges compared to the 5 cartridges in my MP530. The noise factor isn't a problem for me. I don't find it excessive. I have no idea why Canon didn't provide a printer cable, but I already had the cable from my MP530. Aside from that, I love my Canon MP280 and would recommend it to anyone who needs a simple printer/scanner for light to moderate use.
on June 17, 2011
I like the way your prints come out and the feature that lets you print photos. I would love it if it came with a USB cable, bought one at Best Buy for $24.00. I would recommend it to a friend however!
on January 14, 2012
It took about 15 minutes to set-up in Ubuntu. Just download a linux driver for the machine and it should work. You can find a driver by simply Googling "mp280 Ubuntu driver." One note; when I installed the driver it said the process failed. Well, it did not. I just opened my system settings and found "Canon mp280" listed and ready to go.

The scanner function works fine. The copier leaves a little to be desired, as it does not replicate as well as a top end, industrial machine, however, it does an acceptable job for home use. The printer itself is fantastic. Nice, even ink! I would advise you to purchase some extra cartridges if you print a lot, though. The mp280 doesn't use an extraordinary amount of ink, but it isn't frugal either. Probably a normal amount of ink usage for a machine today.

Overall, I give this machine a 7.5/10. It is perfect for my use (a student) and, most importantly, it is the right price at $30.

Good luck and enjoy!