Customer Reviews: Canon PowerShot A2500 16MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 2.7-Inch LCD (Red)
Amazon Vehicles Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Lady Gaga Shop Cycling on Amazon STEM

on May 10, 2013
Got this yesterday and like it, had Canon PowerShot A2300 IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom (Black) before. Just to note, PowerShot A2500 is an entry-level pocket camera which is very similar to PowerShot A2300: 16-megapixel 1/2.3" sensor, DiGiC 4 processor, and 5x zoom 28mm wide angle lens, 2.7" LCD. Even 720p HD video capabilities are the same.

1. What really distinguishes it from its predecessor is Smart Auto Mode recognizing 32 shooting environments and adjusts settings for better quality. It automatically selects the best shooting settings for optimal quality based on the environmental factors (lightning I guess) to provide point'n'shoot simplicity.

2. 16.0 Megapixels, with loads of resolution pictures are still clear. High resolution is also good for producing biggest printouts.

3. 5x Optical Zoom is sufficient in most cases.

4. DIGIC 4 Image Processor. Not as fast as DIGIC 5 though fast and powerful enough to give you advanced system options, provide quick-shoot with reliable performance and low battery consumption. As far as I know DIGIC 4 is currently Canon's most efficient processor for budget cameras. BTW it has some Eco mode, that is said to be providing even faster warm-up times and saves the standard battery, but I haven't tested it yet.

5. Very lightweight, just put it into your pocket, can take it everywhere.

6. Price tag - $99. You can't get any better camera for the price.

1. Like A2300 it lacks optical image stabilization, though it's got digital image stabilization.

2. 1/2.3" sensor. Well, entry level CCD providing good pictures, not of a DSLR quality, that's all I can say.

Sure this is not the best camera in the world. I definitely knew it when I bought the camera. BUT, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of pictures I shot.

If you're like me (not a pro) and looking for a budget point-and-shoot camera taking family photos and events, mostly shoot in daylight or good lighting, I'd definitely recommend it, taking into account its price tag of $99 - just about right.
2929 comments| 692 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2013
This is my 6th point and shoot (P&S) camera in 9 years, ranging in price from $200-$300. I have had 1 Bell & Howell, 3 Nikons and this is my 2nd Canon P&S camera. The last 2 P&S cameras I had I literally wore out by taking so many pictures. I bought this as a second camera for my husband (who doesn't usually take pictures) to use when he goes hunting with my son. I chose a Canon because I have a Canon DSLR and love it. I also wanted an inexpensive camera, because I thought it would sit on the shelf for most of the year. Of course it did not come with a memory card, as I have yet to buy any camera that does.

To test this camera, after shooting indoors for a bit, I took it to the park. Luckily, what started out as a sunny day turned cloudy, allowing me to test the camera in different lighting. This is a typical low priced P&S camera. Like all P&S cameras, this one performs best in bright, outdoor lighting. However, the ease of use and quality of pictures for the small price tag makes this a good buy. This is one of the better P&S cameras I have had.

Although no instruction manual was in the box (other than the very basics), it was easy to figure out how to manually set this camera, which is a must for me. I liked the fact that it has a PROGRAM setting, which allows me to set a program manually. Even if I switch to another setting, it saves my manual settings, allowing me to switch back and forth between settings. That was great when I tested it, because the lighting went from sunny to cloudy and back again. I could easily switch from AUTO to LANDSCAPE to PROGRAM (my manually programmed settings) and back, depending on lighting and activity, all while holding my 6 month old. The pictures I took while holding my baby (who was trying to grab the camera) of my 4 other children who were riding a moving train turned out surprisingly good. I also manually adjusted the ISO to 1600 and took some shots while holding my squirming baby, and the pictures were not as noisy as I thought they would be.

This is a great camera for the price. I would definitely recommend it for anyone, especially those who are ready to do some manual adjustments to get better pictures, but not ready to spend a lot of money. I am glad I bought this camera, and I am happy because I think I will actually use it more than I originally thought!
0Comment| 318 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2014
The Cannon POWER SHOT A2500 is advertised as a POINT AND SHOOT so I was researching the camera for my own needs. I had a Panasonic HM-TA2 that was great for simple point and shoot shots but this winter it was destroyed in an accidental crushing ( don't ask ). The Panasonic was basically Point and shoot with not much more to change, only a few options, it's only down fall was the battery is not replaceable.
I wanted to find an inexpensive POINT AND SHOOT and this camera caught my eye. You really need to look at what they are saying or even look at the USER MANUAL to understand this camera.

POINT AND SHOOT - Yes, in AUTO MODE, this is a very good point and shoot camera. There is little you need to do but aim the camera. Even movie mode has a button just for filming movies and yes, point and shoot movies.

The camera has an actual 5 power OPTICAL zoom and then it can go up to 15 power DIGITALLY. The quality is good with the optical zoom and the digital zoom can be from good to not the best but remember it all depends on light conditions, distance and if you zoom the picture up, you need to be absolutely STILL, no shaking or movements.

BUT if you want a POINT AND SHOOT that you can address some of the picture processes, this one allows you to make changes as well, this is where the USER MANUAL will become very useful. This camera allows different settings from setting the telephoto lens, self timer timing to different optic image results.
In all honesty, this is a lot of camera, for the price, for a point and shoot and with the option to be able to adjust your camera to your needs blows away any basic point and shoot camera.

The camera itself is very small and when off, the lens will stow away into the body automatically and you can easily place it in your pocket. The weight of the camera is light so you are not uncomfortable lugging around a heavy camera, a plus if you are on vacation.

I like the fact that the battery is replaceable, allowing the use of extra batteries and the memory cards can be exchanged with extreme ease.

Ok, what you get, you get the camera in a box, a battery charger and a battery. You may think it is strange that the memory card is not included, but there are too many choices out there to select a good memory card and be clear on this, there is NO MEMORY built into the camera. YOU MUST PURCHASE A MEMORY CARD TO TAKE A SINGLE SHOT. There are several class of memory cards and unless you plan to use the rapid fire picture taking ( 10 shots rapid fire ), a class 4 would do. Other wise and keeping budding movie directors in mind, class 10 would be a great choice for MOVIE recording.
You also do not get any cords. This one I didn't really understand. There are two cords you might need. One to connect the camera to the computer, and if you care to, one to connect the camera to the TV.
You also do not get an outside power adaptor but there is a place on the cam to plug one in.
The camera is interesting in low light shots and the cam has a small flash built in good for close shots. There is an optional HIGH POWER FLASH available to buy if you feel you need that kind of distance from a flash unit.

All in all before you run out and buy all the accessories that you may not need, use the camera and get used to it and then determine what you need. You will need to download the user manual from the Cannon site and then spend time learning how to use the options. Again, if all you want is a good point and shoot, you'll hardly ever look at the User Manual but if you want to play with the options, the USER MANUAL is your friend.

Look for the best price but also consider the accessories you need to get just to make the camera functional and buy the best deal. I found a site where the camera was dirt cheap but the accessories boost the price way too high.

Whether you POINT AND SHOOT or want to adjust your camera to the shots, this camera can help you with your shots. Also look at the illustrations on UTUBE for a better idea. also, search the web for the Canon A2500 REVIEWs where individuals and review agencies have actually taken the camera out to see what it will do. Where they show pictures that this came has taken, they all look GREAT!

For those coming from a camera like I had, this one would seem a bit over board for Point and Shoot but after you take a few shots in AUTO mode, it is as easy as pushing the button.
It is a nice choice for a simple camera and a good choice for a starter camera for those who like to make adjustments or are new to the camera field. There are other cameras out there, My review is only about the Canon PowerShot A2500.
This review was made on 03 27 2014
on September 3, 2013
The camera takes excellent pictures and videos, the price... you can't go wrong. I just wish it came with a cable as well to transfer pictures to my PC, instead of having to remove the SD card. This does not come with a memory card, i bought a "Transcend 16GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card (TS16GSDHC10E)" together with this and it works well. The camera is very lightweight, and does not look nor feel as though it can withstand any small fall for shock impact, so be careful with it.

Ok an edit to my review: I just tried taking pictures of the moon and venus phenomena (08-09-13) and i realized that this camera zoomed up to 16times! Not just up to x5! After x5 it kept going, x8...x10....x16! I got an awesome pic at x16 of the moon and the planet.
44 comments| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2013
33 comments| 243 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2013
This is my first digital camera and it's so easy even I can take great pictures. I especially like that I can take stills and videos with the same camera. I highly recommend this camera.
on December 6, 2013
This isn't a bad camera per se, but it's an economy camera so be prepared if you're used to even slightly more expensive Canon P&S'.

I broke my Elph 100 HS and needed a cheap every day camera for daily use at work. Since it's a work camera and I have a tendency to break them every 18-24 months I figured I would go cheap. The A2500 came with a rechargeable battery and undercut other Canon P&S' by a good $30-40 so I figured why not.

I knew I was giving up OIS and LCD size, those things show up on the specs, but here are some things to be aware of:
1 - It's all plastic construction, not metal, and it feels like it.
2 - The controls are "dumbed down" from previous Canon P&S, the focus mode selector (Left on D-pad - Macro, normal, infinite) now selects eco mode (how often is that something you change?), and the exposure selector (up on d-pad) is now delete/mode selector.
3 - The battery is small, not sure how long it'll last
4 - Despite using the same DIGIC 4 processor as the Elph 100 HS, the continuous shooting speed is much lower (using the same memory card from the Elph)

1, 2 and 3 I can live with, but 4 may be a deal breaker for me because I use the continuous shooting all the time.

The picture quality is excellent for an economy unit. If you're not picky or expecting something that feels more like other Canon P&S camera's this may be the value you're looking for. If you can go for the extra $30-40 I'd recommend moving up a model.
on July 16, 2013
I am a fan of Canon Camera's, and have an older version of the Canon Rebel. However although I really bought this camera for my wife, I do enjoy taking it with me when I am out myself. It is easy to slip into the pocket, and quick to get ready to take a photo. The quality of the photos is brilliant. The colors are so vivid, and real. The Auto-focus is perhaps the best that I have seen is a compact digital camera. The screen shows what points the camera is focusing on, so you know instantly your subject is in focus - of it you need to re-frame your image.Most importantly the actual photo taking is quick. Some digital cameras will blur when the subject moves at the point the photo is taking, because of the delay in processing the photo onto your memory card. I've not had any such problems with this camera.I would recommend this camera to serious photographers who, like me just like to carry a camera everywhere they go. Or as a 1st camera for someone new to digital photography.
on June 18, 2014
My mother in law and sister in law ranted and raved about this camera so when it came time to replace my old camera that I bought back in 2007, I decided to trust them and buy this camera. My previous camera was a Nikon Coolpix S4 that I bought for a trip to Portugal and over the years, people have always commented how great the pictures I take were. My niece even asked me to be her wedding photographer which I had to decline due to having two small children. Anyway, back to this camera. My first experience with the camera was a family vacation with my husband and two daughters (age 2 and 4 months old). I found that it took forever to take a picture and the camera got confused at times at what "scene" it was. Example, we were at a indoor water park and the camera had issues taking pictures since it kept rotating through the different scenes on Auto mode. My husband came down two slides and I missed shots of both. Using this camera to take a picture of my kids who can't sit still is impossible. This camera does not do well with action shots. I did use this camera to take pictures at my niece's wedding (not as the main photographer thankfully) and it struggled to take shots of the bride and her father coming up the aisle. Compared with my old camera, it takes 50% longer to take a picture. Needless to say, I will be gifting this camera to some teenager who doesn't have high expectations. It is well worth to just spend another $100 and get a much better camera. If you have kids and want a camera that takes quick shots, THIS IS NOT THE CAMERA. I even tried to do the manual setting and the camera still took forever to take pictures. What was frustrating as well was as I reviewed my pictures from my vacation, some of them are blurry since I guess I didn't hold the button down long enough for it to focus before I took the shot. I have two kids and don't have time for such silliness so I am going to cut my losses and move on :-)
on November 4, 2013
Ok first off I just want to say that this is a great camera for the money and I really would like to give it five stars, but there are a couple things that keep me from doing that. I've had this camera for about three weeks and we have used it a lot since we got it. It looks nice and seems to be solid yet light and compact. Here are the pros and cons I found.

-light and compact
-takes great pictures
-good looking
-lots of options for a camera of its size

-display screen makes pictures look crappy till their put on computer
-very sensitive to movement
-focus is sensitive
-can't take very distant photos in low lighting

Now when I say it is sensitive to movement it directly relates to the focus. It is not very forgiving for those who don't have steady hands or something to prop against, but it can sure take a hell of a photo if you are still. Overall I think it is a good camera for the money.