Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,394 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,483 reviews
on March 27, 2014
The Cannon POWER SHOT A2500 is advertised as a POINT AND SHOOT so I was researching the camera for my own needs. I had a Panasonic HM-TA2 that was great for simple point and shoot shots but this winter it was destroyed in an accidental crushing ( don't ask ). The Panasonic was basically Point and shoot with not much more to change, only a few options, it's only down fall was the battery is not replaceable.
I wanted to find an inexpensive POINT AND SHOOT and this camera caught my eye. You really need to look at what they are saying or even look at the USER MANUAL to understand this camera.

POINT AND SHOOT - Yes, in AUTO MODE, this is a very good point and shoot camera. There is little you need to do but aim the camera. Even movie mode has a button just for filming movies and yes, point and shoot movies.

The camera has an actual 5 power OPTICAL zoom and then it can go up to 15 power DIGITALLY. The quality is good with the optical zoom and the digital zoom can be from good to not the best but remember it all depends on light conditions, distance and if you zoom the picture up, you need to be absolutely STILL, no shaking or movements.

BUT if you want a POINT AND SHOOT that you can address some of the picture processes, this one allows you to make changes as well, this is where the USER MANUAL will become very useful. This camera allows different settings from setting the telephoto lens, self timer timing to different optic image results.
In all honesty, this is a lot of camera, for the price, for a point and shoot and with the option to be able to adjust your camera to your needs blows away any basic point and shoot camera.

The camera itself is very small and when off, the lens will stow away into the body automatically and you can easily place it in your pocket. The weight of the camera is light so you are not uncomfortable lugging around a heavy camera, a plus if you are on vacation.

I like the fact that the battery is replaceable, allowing the use of extra batteries and the memory cards can be exchanged with extreme ease.

Ok, what you get, you get the camera in a box, a battery charger and a battery. You may think it is strange that the memory card is not included, but there are too many choices out there to select a good memory card and be clear on this, there is NO MEMORY built into the camera. YOU MUST PURCHASE A MEMORY CARD TO TAKE A SINGLE SHOT. There are several class of memory cards and unless you plan to use the rapid fire picture taking ( 10 shots rapid fire ), a class 4 would do. Other wise and keeping budding movie directors in mind, class 10 would be a great choice for MOVIE recording.
You also do not get any cords. This one I didn't really understand. There are two cords you might need. One to connect the camera to the computer, and if you care to, one to connect the camera to the TV.
You also do not get an outside power adaptor but there is a place on the cam to plug one in.
The camera is interesting in low light shots and the cam has a small flash built in good for close shots. There is an optional HIGH POWER FLASH available to buy if you feel you need that kind of distance from a flash unit.

All in all before you run out and buy all the accessories that you may not need, use the camera and get used to it and then determine what you need. You will need to download the user manual from the Cannon site and then spend time learning how to use the options. Again, if all you want is a good point and shoot, you'll hardly ever look at the User Manual but if you want to play with the options, the USER MANUAL is your friend.

Look for the best price but also consider the accessories you need to get just to make the camera functional and buy the best deal. I found a site where the camera was dirt cheap but the accessories boost the price way too high.

Whether you POINT AND SHOOT or want to adjust your camera to the shots, this camera can help you with your shots. Also look at the illustrations on UTUBE for a better idea. also, search the web for the Canon A2500 REVIEWs where individuals and review agencies have actually taken the camera out to see what it will do. Where they show pictures that this came has taken, they all look GREAT!

For those coming from a camera like I had, this one would seem a bit over board for Point and Shoot but after you take a few shots in AUTO mode, it is as easy as pushing the button.
It is a nice choice for a simple camera and a good choice for a starter camera for those who like to make adjustments or are new to the camera field. There are other cameras out there, My review is only about the Canon PowerShot A2500.
This review was made on 03 27 2014
22 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2013
This is my 6th point and shoot (P&S) camera in 9 years, ranging in price from $200-$300. I have had 1 Bell & Howell, 3 Nikons and this is my 2nd Canon P&S camera. The last 2 P&S cameras I had I literally wore out by taking so many pictures. I bought this as a second camera for my husband (who doesn't usually take pictures) to use when he goes hunting with my son. I chose a Canon because I have a Canon DSLR and love it. I also wanted an inexpensive camera, because I thought it would sit on the shelf for most of the year. Of course it did not come with a memory card, as I have yet to buy any camera that does.

To test this camera, after shooting indoors for a bit, I took it to the park. Luckily, what started out as a sunny day turned cloudy, allowing me to test the camera in different lighting. This is a typical low priced P&S camera. Like all P&S cameras, this one performs best in bright, outdoor lighting. However, the ease of use and quality of pictures for the small price tag makes this a good buy. This is one of the better P&S cameras I have had.

Although no instruction manual was in the box (other than the very basics), it was easy to figure out how to manually set this camera, which is a must for me. I liked the fact that it has a PROGRAM setting, which allows me to set a program manually. Even if I switch to another setting, it saves my manual settings, allowing me to switch back and forth between settings. That was great when I tested it, because the lighting went from sunny to cloudy and back again. I could easily switch from AUTO to LANDSCAPE to PROGRAM (my manually programmed settings) and back, depending on lighting and activity, all while holding my 6 month old. The pictures I took while holding my baby (who was trying to grab the camera) of my 4 other children who were riding a moving train turned out surprisingly good. I also manually adjusted the ISO to 1600 and took some shots while holding my squirming baby, and the pictures were not as noisy as I thought they would be.

This is a great camera for the price. I would definitely recommend it for anyone, especially those who are ready to do some manual adjustments to get better pictures, but not ready to spend a lot of money. I am glad I bought this camera, and I am happy because I think I will actually use it more than I originally thought!
0Comment| 318 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2015
This would be a great camera for general picture taking. But I sell bridal jewelry online and it doesn't do jewelry very well. The pictures turn out pretty clear, but regardless of the settings, the color doesn't turn out right at all. I have tried everything. The color is always so off that I can't even edit the pictures to show the right colors and brightness. This really isn't a good camera for close up photography. For point and shoot of people, it's great. I included a picture I took with this camera, this is the best I could get this photo. I finally gave up on trying to make it work for my needs and went back to my old camera.
review image
on July 18, 2014
I bought this camera for my husband, for Christmas. We didn't start really using it until recently because my camera died. I HATE this camera. The pictures are always blurry. Videos are ok but not great. I think the only way I could get clear pictures on this camera is if I had it always on a tripod. I've missed some great shots because they were blurry. I will be buying a new camera.
on June 18, 2014
My mother in law and sister in law ranted and raved about this camera so when it came time to replace my old camera that I bought back in 2007, I decided to trust them and buy this camera. My previous camera was a Nikon Coolpix S4 that I bought for a trip to Portugal and over the years, people have always commented how great the pictures I take were. My niece even asked me to be her wedding photographer which I had to decline due to having two small children. Anyway, back to this camera. My first experience with the camera was a family vacation with my husband and two daughters (age 2 and 4 months old). I found that it took forever to take a picture and the camera got confused at times at what "scene" it was. Example, we were at a indoor water park and the camera had issues taking pictures since it kept rotating through the different scenes on Auto mode. My husband came down two slides and I missed shots of both. Using this camera to take a picture of my kids who can't sit still is impossible. This camera does not do well with action shots. I did use this camera to take pictures at my niece's wedding (not as the main photographer thankfully) and it struggled to take shots of the bride and her father coming up the aisle. Compared with my old camera, it takes 50% longer to take a picture. Needless to say, I will be gifting this camera to some teenager who doesn't have high expectations. It is well worth to just spend another $100 and get a much better camera. If you have kids and want a camera that takes quick shots, THIS IS NOT THE CAMERA. I even tried to do the manual setting and the camera still took forever to take pictures. What was frustrating as well was as I reviewed my pictures from my vacation, some of them are blurry since I guess I didn't hold the button down long enough for it to focus before I took the shot. I have two kids and don't have time for such silliness so I am going to cut my losses and move on :-)
on April 28, 2015
I should have paid attention to the other 1 star reviews. The shutter delay ruins this camera. It has so many features, seems they forgot to make it actually be able to just simply "point and shoot"!!

The manual actually says in different places: "...images will be blurry if you move the camera (or the subject moves) before the shutter sound ends."

The delay on the shutter is so slow. By the time it's done snapping the picture, your subject has moved and you get an odd shot. So the shutter is slow even if you follow the manual and think you have it set up to take action shots, but then it has to process to the memory card which creates an even larger lag between shots, even if you have a high performance memory card.

My iphone recovers so much faster than this camera.

It's impossible to take pictures of moving kids with this.

I don't understand the 5 star reviews.
on May 22, 2016
It's lightweight and compact, so perfect for traveling (and backpacking---which is why I bought it). It takes excellent photos. It's just a point and click, so don't expect DSLR quality, but I'm very satisfied with the quality I do get. Colors are vibrant, and there are lots of settings to work with to get the types of shots that you want. I highly recommend this product to anyone who's interested.
review image review image review image
on March 20, 2014
This is probably the 4th of this Canon series we've owned, as we seem to need an upgrade every other year (pick-pockets in Buenos Aires, etc).

The camera is affordable, easy to use, yet versatile (a good blend for two people with different skills).

I will say that our visits to ocean-side have shown the camera to be a bit sensitive to water (ocean spray and it lost power) and sand (one tiny grain froze the lens motor). However, Canon has been generous, leaning towards 2 free camera repairs that was partly my fault because of this (here is the word of mouth they are hoping for!). The repair is a breeze with self-printing labels and email status.

Oh and those sunset pictures from Costa Rica are priceless !
on October 29, 2013
She was extremely happy with it and has been taking beautiful photos with it. I actually did a lot of research to find a camera that was easy to use but took quality photos and wasn't expensive, but wasn't too cheap either. This camera will last her for years. Here's what I was looking for and found in this camera:

1. "anti-shake" - it does have image stabilization - important for kids and my wife
2. Zoom - 5x
3. Modes - easy to select shooting modes for various situations.
4. Nice size LCD display - 2.7 inch
5. More megapixels than necessary - a bonus at 16 MP
6. HD video recording
7. She likes the color
8. Just the right size for her
9. SDHC card bought separately - which I prefer since I wanted to chose one myself.

Of course it has many other features and functions that she will discover as she learns more about photography.

Not an outstanding camera but for the price and convenience it is a great value.
on March 10, 2014
A2500 replaced a more expensive Canon I got through Amex rewards. While traveling on the train or on the street in Manhattan I lost it.. It was very sleek and slippery LOL Time went by, I found the need to have a camera beyong iphone, ipad. I ordered this camera and I am learning how to use it.
What I have found is that I need to learn about: no blur, MACRO (close up) --for novices like me. I need wide lens features and the ability to fade out unwanted subject in the background.. I have not learned how to use all the features. I have taken very nice shots and not so nice shots experimenting. I find that sharpness is something to be explored in the manual. I am sure Canon tries to keep cost down by not providing a printed out manual but I wanted one and I did the unthinkable:-- printed it out! put it in a three ring binder! old school I guess!
I can point and shoot as described in the product section of this listing. This camera is a nicely priced one and If I should get careless again only this time drive over it!, well it won't cost me an arm and a leg to replace!.
. The manual consists of 109 pages! That means there is a lot to learn! I went to manual websites to see how much a manual would cost to buy. The manual service charges between $12.95 plus the shipping cost! and up.
I had the typing paper and the ink so I printed it out!
Hope this helps you! I am already researching another Canon digital 16 mega because I need close ups of moving animals! i.e. parrots! I would add I bought a .99cent cable UBS cord (reviewed) and two extra batteries from Clearmax and an extra battery recharger. The clearmax battery charges in one hour. The Canon battery that came with this camera charges in 21/2 hours. I bought a SD HC device/card 16GB. Remember: the SDHC card DOES NOT come with the camera. I am going to get a case and more accessories for my camera. Hope this helps! from a newbie