Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Def Leppard All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on May 10, 2013
Got this yesterday and like it, had Canon PowerShot A2300 IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom (Black) before. Just to note, PowerShot A2500 is an entry-level pocket camera which is very similar to PowerShot A2300: 16-megapixel 1/2.3" sensor, DiGiC 4 processor, and 5x zoom 28mm wide angle lens, 2.7" LCD. Even 720p HD video capabilities are the same.

Pros:

1. What really distinguishes it from its predecessor is Smart Auto Mode recognizing 32 shooting environments and adjusts settings for better quality. It automatically selects the best shooting settings for optimal quality based on the environmental factors (lightning I guess) to provide point'n'shoot simplicity.

2. 16.0 Megapixels, with loads of resolution pictures are still clear. High resolution is also good for producing biggest printouts.

3. 5x Optical Zoom is sufficient in most cases.

4. DIGIC 4 Image Processor. Not as fast as DIGIC 5 though fast and powerful enough to give you advanced system options, provide quick-shoot with reliable performance and low battery consumption. As far as I know DIGIC 4 is currently Canon's most efficient processor for budget cameras. BTW it has some Eco mode, that is said to be providing even faster warm-up times and saves the standard battery, but I haven't tested it yet.

5. Very lightweight, just put it into your pocket, can take it everywhere.

6. Price tag - $99. You can't get any better camera for the price.

Cons:

1. Like A2300 it lacks optical image stabilization, though it's got digital image stabilization.

2. 1/2.3" sensor. Well, entry level CCD providing good pictures, not of a DSLR quality, that's all I can say.

Summary:

Sure this is not the best camera in the world. I definitely knew it when I bought the camera. BUT, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of pictures I shot.

If you're like me (not a pro) and looking for a budget point-and-shoot camera taking family photos and events, mostly shoot in daylight or good lighting, I'd definitely recommend it, taking into account its price tag of $99 - just about right.
2929 comments| 696 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 16, 2013
This is my 6th point and shoot (P&S) camera in 9 years, ranging in price from $200-$300. I have had 1 Bell & Howell, 3 Nikons and this is my 2nd Canon P&S camera. The last 2 P&S cameras I had I literally wore out by taking so many pictures. I bought this as a second camera for my husband (who doesn't usually take pictures) to use when he goes hunting with my son. I chose a Canon because I have a Canon DSLR and love it. I also wanted an inexpensive camera, because I thought it would sit on the shelf for most of the year. Of course it did not come with a memory card, as I have yet to buy any camera that does.

To test this camera, after shooting indoors for a bit, I took it to the park. Luckily, what started out as a sunny day turned cloudy, allowing me to test the camera in different lighting. This is a typical low priced P&S camera. Like all P&S cameras, this one performs best in bright, outdoor lighting. However, the ease of use and quality of pictures for the small price tag makes this a good buy. This is one of the better P&S cameras I have had.

Although no instruction manual was in the box (other than the very basics), it was easy to figure out how to manually set this camera, which is a must for me. I liked the fact that it has a PROGRAM setting, which allows me to set a program manually. Even if I switch to another setting, it saves my manual settings, allowing me to switch back and forth between settings. That was great when I tested it, because the lighting went from sunny to cloudy and back again. I could easily switch from AUTO to LANDSCAPE to PROGRAM (my manually programmed settings) and back, depending on lighting and activity, all while holding my 6 month old. The pictures I took while holding my baby (who was trying to grab the camera) of my 4 other children who were riding a moving train turned out surprisingly good. I also manually adjusted the ISO to 1600 and took some shots while holding my squirming baby, and the pictures were not as noisy as I thought they would be.

This is a great camera for the price. I would definitely recommend it for anyone, especially those who are ready to do some manual adjustments to get better pictures, but not ready to spend a lot of money. I am glad I bought this camera, and I am happy because I think I will actually use it more than I originally thought!
0Comment| 320 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 25, 2013
I like the 'one button' record on the back of the camera. When the power is on, you don't have to switch between photo and record, just press the record button. Takes great photos and video, but I wish it had a way to switch to 480p video when the 720 isn't necessary. Otherwise a nice camera.
on March 20, 2014
This is probably the 4th of this Canon series we've owned, as we seem to need an upgrade every other year (pick-pockets in Buenos Aires, etc).

The camera is affordable, easy to use, yet versatile (a good blend for two people with different skills).

I will say that our visits to ocean-side have shown the camera to be a bit sensitive to water (ocean spray and it lost power) and sand (one tiny grain froze the lens motor). However, Canon has been generous, leaning towards 2 free camera repairs that was partly my fault because of this (here is the word of mouth they are hoping for!). The repair is a breeze with self-printing labels and email status.

Oh and those sunset pictures from Costa Rica are priceless !
on December 10, 2013
Camera just arrived. I bought it as a gift so I can't speak yet to the quality of the camera. It was supposed to come with a free memory card and case, but I didn't receive these. I just chatted with an Amazon representative who helped me place a free order for these. Looks like the memory card will ship out right away but the case does not have a delivery date yet. Hoping it will arrive before Christmas.
on June 3, 2014
My mom needed a new camera that provided a good zoom function and the ability to take decent family photos within my brother's and my Christmas spending budget. This camera was the answer. Bonus: mom's favorite color is red. She loves to use it and brings it with her to every family gathering. Even though she still forgets how to use the zoom function sometimes, she loves scrolling through the photos and sharing them with whoever's around to look, usually immediately after they were taken. Great for anybody who doesn't have a smart phone, but wants to share in the fun of constant digital documentation. Not recommended for selfie-taking.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 27, 2014
The Cannon POWER SHOT A2500 is advertised as a POINT AND SHOOT so I was researching the camera for my own needs. I had a Panasonic HM-TA2 that was great for simple point and shoot shots but this winter it was destroyed in an accidental crushing ( don't ask ). The Panasonic was basically Point and shoot with not much more to change, only a few options, it's only down fall was the battery is not replaceable.
I wanted to find an inexpensive POINT AND SHOOT and this camera caught my eye. You really need to look at what they are saying or even look at the USER MANUAL to understand this camera.

POINT AND SHOOT - Yes, in AUTO MODE, this is a very good point and shoot camera. There is little you need to do but aim the camera. Even movie mode has a button just for filming movies and yes, point and shoot movies.

The camera has an actual 5 power OPTICAL zoom and then it can go up to 15 power DIGITALLY. The quality is good with the optical zoom and the digital zoom can be from good to not the best but remember it all depends on light conditions, distance and if you zoom the picture up, you need to be absolutely STILL, no shaking or movements.

BUT if you want a POINT AND SHOOT that you can address some of the picture processes, this one allows you to make changes as well, this is where the USER MANUAL will become very useful. This camera allows different settings from setting the telephoto lens, self timer timing to different optic image results.
In all honesty, this is a lot of camera, for the price, for a point and shoot and with the option to be able to adjust your camera to your needs blows away any basic point and shoot camera.

The camera itself is very small and when off, the lens will stow away into the body automatically and you can easily place it in your pocket. The weight of the camera is light so you are not uncomfortable lugging around a heavy camera, a plus if you are on vacation.

I like the fact that the battery is replaceable, allowing the use of extra batteries and the memory cards can be exchanged with extreme ease.

Ok, what you get, you get the camera in a box, a battery charger and a battery. You may think it is strange that the memory card is not included, but there are too many choices out there to select a good memory card and be clear on this, there is NO MEMORY built into the camera. YOU MUST PURCHASE A MEMORY CARD TO TAKE A SINGLE SHOT. There are several class of memory cards and unless you plan to use the rapid fire picture taking ( 10 shots rapid fire ), a class 4 would do. Other wise and keeping budding movie directors in mind, class 10 would be a great choice for MOVIE recording.
You also do not get any cords. This one I didn't really understand. There are two cords you might need. One to connect the camera to the computer, and if you care to, one to connect the camera to the TV.
You also do not get an outside power adaptor but there is a place on the cam to plug one in.
The camera is interesting in low light shots and the cam has a small flash built in good for close shots. There is an optional HIGH POWER FLASH available to buy if you feel you need that kind of distance from a flash unit.

All in all before you run out and buy all the accessories that you may not need, use the camera and get used to it and then determine what you need. You will need to download the user manual from the Cannon site and then spend time learning how to use the options. Again, if all you want is a good point and shoot, you'll hardly ever look at the User Manual but if you want to play with the options, the USER MANUAL is your friend.

Look for the best price but also consider the accessories you need to get just to make the camera functional and buy the best deal. I found a site where the camera was dirt cheap but the accessories boost the price way too high.

Whether you POINT AND SHOOT or want to adjust your camera to the shots, this camera can help you with your shots. Also look at the illustrations on UTUBE for a better idea. also, search the web for the Canon A2500 REVIEWs where individuals and review agencies have actually taken the camera out to see what it will do. Where they show pictures that this came has taken, they all look GREAT!

For those coming from a camera like I had, this one would seem a bit over board for Point and Shoot but after you take a few shots in AUTO mode, it is as easy as pushing the button.
It is a nice choice for a simple camera and a good choice for a starter camera for those who like to make adjustments or are new to the camera field. There are other cameras out there, My review is only about the Canon PowerShot A2500.
This review was made on 03 27 2014
22 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 25, 2013
I ordered this for a Christmas gift to myself for the price point. After going through a lot of other sellers websites Amazon had the best price at the time.

The camera arrived in 2 days and was opened immediately. Love the color. Camera has more features than I need but should be nice camera for what I use it for; photos of grandchildren and outdoor shots.

Only drawback was that there is no a manual other than a brief tutorial. There are hints and tips built into the camera and an online 107 page manual is available. I did have some initial trouble with the Canon website but was eventually able to print it.

The "case" is a flimsy piece of something so a real case will have to be purchased separately unless you buy the bundle.

I've used it for moving targets, outdoor holiday displays, and portraits and all are crisp, clean, and blur free.

So far, so good with this item.
on April 30, 2016
Have had this camera for a couple of years. We do not use it as much as we should, but have taken hundreds of pictures; even a few videos. It came with a case as I recall and we purchased an extra battery and memory card; we have not needed the extra memory card yet! The extra battery comes in handy on trips because the charger is rather bulky and we have not taken it along on trips. We do not have a cell phone that takes good pictures that we can download easily; so we rely heavily on the camera for pictures.
on January 26, 2014
Easy to use, fast to set up, compact, couldn't be happier. BTW, you can load the pics using just the flash memory card (I bought the SanDisk Ultra 16 GB) I was worried I wouldn't be able to load the pics to the computer without the (not included) UCB cord. The software tells you it "needs" the cord to select the right and appropriate yada yada...but that is not true because if you put the memory card into the computer the pictures load.