Lyft Vehicles Review Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on May 10, 2013
Got this yesterday and like it, had Canon PowerShot A2300 IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom (Black) before. Just to note, PowerShot A2500 is an entry-level pocket camera which is very similar to PowerShot A2300: 16-megapixel 1/2.3" sensor, DiGiC 4 processor, and 5x zoom 28mm wide angle lens, 2.7" LCD. Even 720p HD video capabilities are the same.

Pros:

1. What really distinguishes it from its predecessor is Smart Auto Mode recognizing 32 shooting environments and adjusts settings for better quality. It automatically selects the best shooting settings for optimal quality based on the environmental factors (lightning I guess) to provide point'n'shoot simplicity.

2. 16.0 Megapixels, with loads of resolution pictures are still clear. High resolution is also good for producing biggest printouts.

3. 5x Optical Zoom is sufficient in most cases.

4. DIGIC 4 Image Processor. Not as fast as DIGIC 5 though fast and powerful enough to give you advanced system options, provide quick-shoot with reliable performance and low battery consumption. As far as I know DIGIC 4 is currently Canon's most efficient processor for budget cameras. BTW it has some Eco mode, that is said to be providing even faster warm-up times and saves the standard battery, but I haven't tested it yet.

5. Very lightweight, just put it into your pocket, can take it everywhere.

6. Price tag - $99. You can't get any better camera for the price.

Cons:

1. Like A2300 it lacks optical image stabilization, though it's got digital image stabilization.

2. 1/2.3" sensor. Well, entry level CCD providing good pictures, not of a DSLR quality, that's all I can say.

Summary:

Sure this is not the best camera in the world. I definitely knew it when I bought the camera. BUT, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of pictures I shot.

If you're like me (not a pro) and looking for a budget point-and-shoot camera taking family photos and events, mostly shoot in daylight or good lighting, I'd definitely recommend it, taking into account its price tag of $99 - just about right.
2929 comments| 696 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 16, 2013
This is my 6th point and shoot (P&S) camera in 9 years, ranging in price from $200-$300. I have had 1 Bell & Howell, 3 Nikons and this is my 2nd Canon P&S camera. The last 2 P&S cameras I had I literally wore out by taking so many pictures. I bought this as a second camera for my husband (who doesn't usually take pictures) to use when he goes hunting with my son. I chose a Canon because I have a Canon DSLR and love it. I also wanted an inexpensive camera, because I thought it would sit on the shelf for most of the year. Of course it did not come with a memory card, as I have yet to buy any camera that does.

To test this camera, after shooting indoors for a bit, I took it to the park. Luckily, what started out as a sunny day turned cloudy, allowing me to test the camera in different lighting. This is a typical low priced P&S camera. Like all P&S cameras, this one performs best in bright, outdoor lighting. However, the ease of use and quality of pictures for the small price tag makes this a good buy. This is one of the better P&S cameras I have had.

Although no instruction manual was in the box (other than the very basics), it was easy to figure out how to manually set this camera, which is a must for me. I liked the fact that it has a PROGRAM setting, which allows me to set a program manually. Even if I switch to another setting, it saves my manual settings, allowing me to switch back and forth between settings. That was great when I tested it, because the lighting went from sunny to cloudy and back again. I could easily switch from AUTO to LANDSCAPE to PROGRAM (my manually programmed settings) and back, depending on lighting and activity, all while holding my 6 month old. The pictures I took while holding my baby (who was trying to grab the camera) of my 4 other children who were riding a moving train turned out surprisingly good. I also manually adjusted the ISO to 1600 and took some shots while holding my squirming baby, and the pictures were not as noisy as I thought they would be.

This is a great camera for the price. I would definitely recommend it for anyone, especially those who are ready to do some manual adjustments to get better pictures, but not ready to spend a lot of money. I am glad I bought this camera, and I am happy because I think I will actually use it more than I originally thought!
0Comment| 321 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 12, 2017
Usually I only write reviews for products I really like. But we have had this camera for 3 years and we stopped using it two years ago. We realized that our camera had no way to keep the picture from blurring. 40% of the photos you take are blurred, but it has nothing to do with settings or hand steadiness. We really noticed after our camera was almost a year old that it was doing this. Too late to return or exchange it. Maybe we just got a lemon. I've owned 4 digital cameras before this and never had these issues. I recommend not buying this discontinued camera but search for a different model. I've always had luck with the Kodak Easyshare models and will probably return to Kodak.
on April 28, 2014
I ended up returning the camera due to problems with the camera, but here are the comments I had after my short time with it:

Pro:
+Decent features considering the price
+Compact size, very similar to the Canon ELPH series
+Good picture quality. Better than my smartphone which was one of my ultimate desires
+Rechargeable and removable battery

Cons:
-Extremely minor and probably not worth mentioning, but my previous Canon came with a small plastic piece to tighten/loosen the loop on the string that attaches to the camera. Depending on the shot, I like to tighten the loop around my wrist in case I drop the camera
-Lag between photos. This is the reason I returned the camera. I found I was missing lots of shots because of the delay in between taking photos. No other reviews on Amazon mentioned lag between taking photos and there is a noticeable difference even between this canon and my 5 year old canon I intended to replace. I picked this camera over a Nikon with a couple more features I would have rather had because the Nikon had lots of reviews mentioning horrible lag between photos.

I realize this is a very short review, bu given my short time with the camera its all I could think of and based on the camera I received.
on August 25, 2013
I like the 'one button' record on the back of the camera. When the power is on, you don't have to switch between photo and record, just press the record button. Takes great photos and video, but I wish it had a way to switch to 480p video when the 720 isn't necessary. Otherwise a nice camera.
on October 19, 2013
I got this camera to replace a Sony cybershot that gotten broken. I saw a lot of good reviews, and I even researched it in comparisons to other similar cameras. I found through everything that I read that it was a nice family camera with some good capabilites to help with auto focusing and such. I was pretty excited to test it out after I had read all the good stuff said, but when I got down to testing all of its capabilties I found it to fall short of all of the expectations.
Pros:
the color
the video button.
Cons:
Most photos are grainy
It takes terrible inside photos
auto focus doesn't seem to work
photos always seem to blur whether the target is moving or still
all of the camera settings are mediocre
have to take the battery out to charge it
does not come with a computer cord

I could go on and on about all the things this camera disappointed me with, but I think it may just be because my sony was just awesome. I just expected more from a camera that just debuted in February of this year. I mean I guess this camera will work for me since it was only $85, but I just had really expected more from what everyone said. Also the outdoor pictures seem to only look good if your taking pictures of scenary.
on December 10, 2013
Camera just arrived. I bought it as a gift so I can't speak yet to the quality of the camera. It was supposed to come with a free memory card and case, but I didn't receive these. I just chatted with an Amazon representative who helped me place a free order for these. Looks like the memory card will ship out right away but the case does not have a delivery date yet. Hoping it will arrive before Christmas.
on March 20, 2014
This is probably the 4th of this Canon series we've owned, as we seem to need an upgrade every other year (pick-pockets in Buenos Aires, etc).

The camera is affordable, easy to use, yet versatile (a good blend for two people with different skills).

I will say that our visits to ocean-side have shown the camera to be a bit sensitive to water (ocean spray and it lost power) and sand (one tiny grain froze the lens motor). However, Canon has been generous, leaning towards 2 free camera repairs that was partly my fault because of this (here is the word of mouth they are hoping for!). The repair is a breeze with self-printing labels and email status.

Oh and those sunset pictures from Costa Rica are priceless !
on May 7, 2014
My wife's camera broke on vacation and she was supposed to tell me what replacement camera she wanted. But after over six months of no direction I decided to buy this camera as an interim so she could be taking pictures. This camera is so small that it's easy for her to put in her purse. We're not into using our cell phone to take pictures so this is a great alternative. And who knows, maybe I won't need to get her a more expensive camera. Also, I took the memory card from her old broken camera and put it in this one. All her old pictures showed up in the Canon PowerShot without having to do anything special. Her memory chip was 128 MB so it was good that it worked in the new camera without any problems. Also, my wife loves the color red and the red PowerShot camera was actually $5 cheaper than the silver one. Good value and I saved money.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 27, 2014
The Cannon POWER SHOT A2500 is advertised as a POINT AND SHOOT so I was researching the camera for my own needs. I had a Panasonic HM-TA2 that was great for simple point and shoot shots but this winter it was destroyed in an accidental crushing ( don't ask ). The Panasonic was basically Point and shoot with not much more to change, only a few options, it's only down fall was the battery is not replaceable.
I wanted to find an inexpensive POINT AND SHOOT and this camera caught my eye. You really need to look at what they are saying or even look at the USER MANUAL to understand this camera.

POINT AND SHOOT - Yes, in AUTO MODE, this is a very good point and shoot camera. There is little you need to do but aim the camera. Even movie mode has a button just for filming movies and yes, point and shoot movies.

The camera has an actual 5 power OPTICAL zoom and then it can go up to 15 power DIGITALLY. The quality is good with the optical zoom and the digital zoom can be from good to not the best but remember it all depends on light conditions, distance and if you zoom the picture up, you need to be absolutely STILL, no shaking or movements.

BUT if you want a POINT AND SHOOT that you can address some of the picture processes, this one allows you to make changes as well, this is where the USER MANUAL will become very useful. This camera allows different settings from setting the telephoto lens, self timer timing to different optic image results.
In all honesty, this is a lot of camera, for the price, for a point and shoot and with the option to be able to adjust your camera to your needs blows away any basic point and shoot camera.

The camera itself is very small and when off, the lens will stow away into the body automatically and you can easily place it in your pocket. The weight of the camera is light so you are not uncomfortable lugging around a heavy camera, a plus if you are on vacation.

I like the fact that the battery is replaceable, allowing the use of extra batteries and the memory cards can be exchanged with extreme ease.

Ok, what you get, you get the camera in a box, a battery charger and a battery. You may think it is strange that the memory card is not included, but there are too many choices out there to select a good memory card and be clear on this, there is NO MEMORY built into the camera. YOU MUST PURCHASE A MEMORY CARD TO TAKE A SINGLE SHOT. There are several class of memory cards and unless you plan to use the rapid fire picture taking ( 10 shots rapid fire ), a class 4 would do. Other wise and keeping budding movie directors in mind, class 10 would be a great choice for MOVIE recording.
You also do not get any cords. This one I didn't really understand. There are two cords you might need. One to connect the camera to the computer, and if you care to, one to connect the camera to the TV.
You also do not get an outside power adaptor but there is a place on the cam to plug one in.
The camera is interesting in low light shots and the cam has a small flash built in good for close shots. There is an optional HIGH POWER FLASH available to buy if you feel you need that kind of distance from a flash unit.

All in all before you run out and buy all the accessories that you may not need, use the camera and get used to it and then determine what you need. You will need to download the user manual from the Cannon site and then spend time learning how to use the options. Again, if all you want is a good point and shoot, you'll hardly ever look at the User Manual but if you want to play with the options, the USER MANUAL is your friend.

Look for the best price but also consider the accessories you need to get just to make the camera functional and buy the best deal. I found a site where the camera was dirt cheap but the accessories boost the price way too high.

Whether you POINT AND SHOOT or want to adjust your camera to the shots, this camera can help you with your shots. Also look at the illustrations on UTUBE for a better idea. also, search the web for the Canon A2500 REVIEWs where individuals and review agencies have actually taken the camera out to see what it will do. Where they show pictures that this came has taken, they all look GREAT!

For those coming from a camera like I had, this one would seem a bit over board for Point and Shoot but after you take a few shots in AUTO mode, it is as easy as pushing the button.
It is a nice choice for a simple camera and a good choice for a starter camera for those who like to make adjustments or are new to the camera field. There are other cameras out there, My review is only about the Canon PowerShot A2500.
This review was made on 03 27 2014
22 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse