Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 10, 2013
Got this yesterday and like it, had Canon PowerShot A2300 IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom (Black) before. Just to note, PowerShot A2500 is an entry-level pocket camera which is very similar to PowerShot A2300: 16-megapixel 1/2.3" sensor, DiGiC 4 processor, and 5x zoom 28mm wide angle lens, 2.7" LCD. Even 720p HD video capabilities are the same.

Pros:

1. What really distinguishes it from its predecessor is Smart Auto Mode recognizing 32 shooting environments and adjusts settings for better quality. It automatically selects the best shooting settings for optimal quality based on the environmental factors (lightning I guess) to provide point'n'shoot simplicity.

2. 16.0 Megapixels, with loads of resolution pictures are still clear. High resolution is also good for producing biggest printouts.

3. 5x Optical Zoom is sufficient in most cases.

4. DIGIC 4 Image Processor. Not as fast as DIGIC 5 though fast and powerful enough to give you advanced system options, provide quick-shoot with reliable performance and low battery consumption. As far as I know DIGIC 4 is currently Canon's most efficient processor for budget cameras. BTW it has some Eco mode, that is said to be providing even faster warm-up times and saves the standard battery, but I haven't tested it yet.

5. Very lightweight, just put it into your pocket, can take it everywhere.

6. Price tag - $99. You can't get any better camera for the price.

Cons:

1. Like A2300 it lacks optical image stabilization, though it's got digital image stabilization.

2. 1/2.3" sensor. Well, entry level CCD providing good pictures, not of a DSLR quality, that's all I can say.

Summary:

Sure this is not the best camera in the world. I definitely knew it when I bought the camera. BUT, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of pictures I shot.

If you're like me (not a pro) and looking for a budget point-and-shoot camera taking family photos and events, mostly shoot in daylight or good lighting, I'd definitely recommend it, taking into account its price tag of $99 - just about right.
2929 comments| 695 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2013
This is my 6th point and shoot (P&S) camera in 9 years, ranging in price from $200-$300. I have had 1 Bell & Howell, 3 Nikons and this is my 2nd Canon P&S camera. The last 2 P&S cameras I had I literally wore out by taking so many pictures. I bought this as a second camera for my husband (who doesn't usually take pictures) to use when he goes hunting with my son. I chose a Canon because I have a Canon DSLR and love it. I also wanted an inexpensive camera, because I thought it would sit on the shelf for most of the year. Of course it did not come with a memory card, as I have yet to buy any camera that does.

To test this camera, after shooting indoors for a bit, I took it to the park. Luckily, what started out as a sunny day turned cloudy, allowing me to test the camera in different lighting. This is a typical low priced P&S camera. Like all P&S cameras, this one performs best in bright, outdoor lighting. However, the ease of use and quality of pictures for the small price tag makes this a good buy. This is one of the better P&S cameras I have had.

Although no instruction manual was in the box (other than the very basics), it was easy to figure out how to manually set this camera, which is a must for me. I liked the fact that it has a PROGRAM setting, which allows me to set a program manually. Even if I switch to another setting, it saves my manual settings, allowing me to switch back and forth between settings. That was great when I tested it, because the lighting went from sunny to cloudy and back again. I could easily switch from AUTO to LANDSCAPE to PROGRAM (my manually programmed settings) and back, depending on lighting and activity, all while holding my 6 month old. The pictures I took while holding my baby (who was trying to grab the camera) of my 4 other children who were riding a moving train turned out surprisingly good. I also manually adjusted the ISO to 1600 and took some shots while holding my squirming baby, and the pictures were not as noisy as I thought they would be.

This is a great camera for the price. I would definitely recommend it for anyone, especially those who are ready to do some manual adjustments to get better pictures, but not ready to spend a lot of money. I am glad I bought this camera, and I am happy because I think I will actually use it more than I originally thought!
0Comment| 320 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2017
Usually I only write reviews for products I really like. But we have had this camera for 3 years and we stopped using it two years ago. We realized that our camera had no way to keep the picture from blurring. 40% of the photos you take are blurred, but it has nothing to do with settings or hand steadiness. We really noticed after our camera was almost a year old that it was doing this. Too late to return or exchange it. Maybe we just got a lemon. I've owned 4 digital cameras before this and never had these issues. I recommend not buying this discontinued camera but search for a different model. I've always had luck with the Kodak Easyshare models and will probably return to Kodak.
on August 25, 2013
I like the 'one button' record on the back of the camera. When the power is on, you don't have to switch between photo and record, just press the record button. Takes great photos and video, but I wish it had a way to switch to 480p video when the 720 isn't necessary. Otherwise a nice camera.
on March 20, 2014
This is probably the 4th of this Canon series we've owned, as we seem to need an upgrade every other year (pick-pockets in Buenos Aires, etc).

The camera is affordable, easy to use, yet versatile (a good blend for two people with different skills).

I will say that our visits to ocean-side have shown the camera to be a bit sensitive to water (ocean spray and it lost power) and sand (one tiny grain froze the lens motor). However, Canon has been generous, leaning towards 2 free camera repairs that was partly my fault because of this (here is the word of mouth they are hoping for!). The repair is a breeze with self-printing labels and email status.

Oh and those sunset pictures from Costa Rica are priceless !
on October 29, 2013
She was extremely happy with it and has been taking beautiful photos with it. I actually did a lot of research to find a camera that was easy to use but took quality photos and wasn't expensive, but wasn't too cheap either. This camera will last her for years. Here's what I was looking for and found in this camera:

1. "anti-shake" - it does have image stabilization - important for kids and my wife
2. Zoom - 5x
3. Modes - easy to select shooting modes for various situations.
4. Nice size LCD display - 2.7 inch
5. More megapixels than necessary - a bonus at 16 MP
6. HD video recording
7. She likes the color
8. Just the right size for her
9. SDHC card bought separately - which I prefer since I wanted to chose one myself.

Of course it has many other features and functions that she will discover as she learns more about photography.

Not an outstanding camera but for the price and convenience it is a great value.
on March 10, 2014
A2500 replaced a more expensive Canon I got through Amex rewards. While traveling on the train or on the street in Manhattan I lost it.. It was very sleek and slippery LOL Time went by, I found the need to have a camera beyong iphone, ipad. I ordered this camera and I am learning how to use it.
What I have found is that I need to learn about: no blur, MACRO (close up) --for novices like me. I need wide lens features and the ability to fade out unwanted subject in the background.. I have not learned how to use all the features. I have taken very nice shots and not so nice shots experimenting. I find that sharpness is something to be explored in the manual. I am sure Canon tries to keep cost down by not providing a printed out manual but I wanted one and I did the unthinkable:-- printed it out! put it in a three ring binder! old school I guess!
I can point and shoot as described in the product section of this listing. This camera is a nicely priced one and If I should get careless again only this time drive over it!, well it won't cost me an arm and a leg to replace!.
. The manual consists of 109 pages! That means there is a lot to learn! I went to manual websites to see how much a manual would cost to buy. The manual service charges between $12.95 plus the shipping cost! and up.
I had the typing paper and the ink so I printed it out!
Hope this helps you! I am already researching another Canon digital 16 mega because I need close ups of moving animals! i.e. parrots! I would add I bought a .99cent cable UBS cord (reviewed) and two extra batteries from Clearmax and an extra battery recharger. The clearmax battery charges in one hour. The Canon battery that came with this camera charges in 21/2 hours. I bought a SD HC device/card 16GB. Remember: the SDHC card DOES NOT come with the camera. I am going to get a case and more accessories for my camera. Hope this helps! from a newbie
on October 19, 2013
I got this camera to replace a Sony cybershot that gotten broken. I saw a lot of good reviews, and I even researched it in comparisons to other similar cameras. I found through everything that I read that it was a nice family camera with some good capabilites to help with auto focusing and such. I was pretty excited to test it out after I had read all the good stuff said, but when I got down to testing all of its capabilties I found it to fall short of all of the expectations.
Pros:
the color
the video button.
Cons:
Most photos are grainy
It takes terrible inside photos
auto focus doesn't seem to work
photos always seem to blur whether the target is moving or still
all of the camera settings are mediocre
have to take the battery out to charge it
does not come with a computer cord

I could go on and on about all the things this camera disappointed me with, but I think it may just be because my sony was just awesome. I just expected more from a camera that just debuted in February of this year. I mean I guess this camera will work for me since it was only $85, but I just had really expected more from what everyone said. Also the outdoor pictures seem to only look good if your taking pictures of scenary.
on December 10, 2013
Camera just arrived. I bought it as a gift so I can't speak yet to the quality of the camera. It was supposed to come with a free memory card and case, but I didn't receive these. I just chatted with an Amazon representative who helped me place a free order for these. Looks like the memory card will ship out right away but the case does not have a delivery date yet. Hoping it will arrive before Christmas.
on June 3, 2014
My mom needed a new camera that provided a good zoom function and the ability to take decent family photos within my brother's and my Christmas spending budget. This camera was the answer. Bonus: mom's favorite color is red. She loves to use it and brings it with her to every family gathering. Even though she still forgets how to use the zoom function sometimes, she loves scrolling through the photos and sharing them with whoever's around to look, usually immediately after they were taken. Great for anybody who doesn't have a smart phone, but wants to share in the fun of constant digital documentation. Not recommended for selfie-taking.