Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 1,392 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,459 reviews
on March 27, 2014
The Cannon POWER SHOT A2500 is advertised as a POINT AND SHOOT so I was researching the camera for my own needs. I had a Panasonic HM-TA2 that was great for simple point and shoot shots but this winter it was destroyed in an accidental crushing ( don't ask ). The Panasonic was basically Point and shoot with not much more to change, only a few options, it's only down fall was the battery is not replaceable.
I wanted to find an inexpensive POINT AND SHOOT and this camera caught my eye. You really need to look at what they are saying or even look at the USER MANUAL to understand this camera.

POINT AND SHOOT - Yes, in AUTO MODE, this is a very good point and shoot camera. There is little you need to do but aim the camera. Even movie mode has a button just for filming movies and yes, point and shoot movies.

The camera has an actual 5 power OPTICAL zoom and then it can go up to 15 power DIGITALLY. The quality is good with the optical zoom and the digital zoom can be from good to not the best but remember it all depends on light conditions, distance and if you zoom the picture up, you need to be absolutely STILL, no shaking or movements.

BUT if you want a POINT AND SHOOT that you can address some of the picture processes, this one allows you to make changes as well, this is where the USER MANUAL will become very useful. This camera allows different settings from setting the telephoto lens, self timer timing to different optic image results.
In all honesty, this is a lot of camera, for the price, for a point and shoot and with the option to be able to adjust your camera to your needs blows away any basic point and shoot camera.

The camera itself is very small and when off, the lens will stow away into the body automatically and you can easily place it in your pocket. The weight of the camera is light so you are not uncomfortable lugging around a heavy camera, a plus if you are on vacation.

I like the fact that the battery is replaceable, allowing the use of extra batteries and the memory cards can be exchanged with extreme ease.

Ok, what you get, you get the camera in a box, a battery charger and a battery. You may think it is strange that the memory card is not included, but there are too many choices out there to select a good memory card and be clear on this, there is NO MEMORY built into the camera. YOU MUST PURCHASE A MEMORY CARD TO TAKE A SINGLE SHOT. There are several class of memory cards and unless you plan to use the rapid fire picture taking ( 10 shots rapid fire ), a class 4 would do. Other wise and keeping budding movie directors in mind, class 10 would be a great choice for MOVIE recording.
You also do not get any cords. This one I didn't really understand. There are two cords you might need. One to connect the camera to the computer, and if you care to, one to connect the camera to the TV.
You also do not get an outside power adaptor but there is a place on the cam to plug one in.
The camera is interesting in low light shots and the cam has a small flash built in good for close shots. There is an optional HIGH POWER FLASH available to buy if you feel you need that kind of distance from a flash unit.

All in all before you run out and buy all the accessories that you may not need, use the camera and get used to it and then determine what you need. You will need to download the user manual from the Cannon site and then spend time learning how to use the options. Again, if all you want is a good point and shoot, you'll hardly ever look at the User Manual but if you want to play with the options, the USER MANUAL is your friend.

Look for the best price but also consider the accessories you need to get just to make the camera functional and buy the best deal. I found a site where the camera was dirt cheap but the accessories boost the price way too high.

Whether you POINT AND SHOOT or want to adjust your camera to the shots, this camera can help you with your shots. Also look at the illustrations on UTUBE for a better idea. also, search the web for the Canon A2500 REVIEWs where individuals and review agencies have actually taken the camera out to see what it will do. Where they show pictures that this came has taken, they all look GREAT!

For those coming from a camera like I had, this one would seem a bit over board for Point and Shoot but after you take a few shots in AUTO mode, it is as easy as pushing the button.
It is a nice choice for a simple camera and a good choice for a starter camera for those who like to make adjustments or are new to the camera field. There are other cameras out there, My review is only about the Canon PowerShot A2500.
This review was made on 03 27 2014
22 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2013
This is my 6th point and shoot (P&S) camera in 9 years, ranging in price from $200-$300. I have had 1 Bell & Howell, 3 Nikons and this is my 2nd Canon P&S camera. The last 2 P&S cameras I had I literally wore out by taking so many pictures. I bought this as a second camera for my husband (who doesn't usually take pictures) to use when he goes hunting with my son. I chose a Canon because I have a Canon DSLR and love it. I also wanted an inexpensive camera, because I thought it would sit on the shelf for most of the year. Of course it did not come with a memory card, as I have yet to buy any camera that does.

To test this camera, after shooting indoors for a bit, I took it to the park. Luckily, what started out as a sunny day turned cloudy, allowing me to test the camera in different lighting. This is a typical low priced P&S camera. Like all P&S cameras, this one performs best in bright, outdoor lighting. However, the ease of use and quality of pictures for the small price tag makes this a good buy. This is one of the better P&S cameras I have had.

Although no instruction manual was in the box (other than the very basics), it was easy to figure out how to manually set this camera, which is a must for me. I liked the fact that it has a PROGRAM setting, which allows me to set a program manually. Even if I switch to another setting, it saves my manual settings, allowing me to switch back and forth between settings. That was great when I tested it, because the lighting went from sunny to cloudy and back again. I could easily switch from AUTO to LANDSCAPE to PROGRAM (my manually programmed settings) and back, depending on lighting and activity, all while holding my 6 month old. The pictures I took while holding my baby (who was trying to grab the camera) of my 4 other children who were riding a moving train turned out surprisingly good. I also manually adjusted the ISO to 1600 and took some shots while holding my squirming baby, and the pictures were not as noisy as I thought they would be.

This is a great camera for the price. I would definitely recommend it for anyone, especially those who are ready to do some manual adjustments to get better pictures, but not ready to spend a lot of money. I am glad I bought this camera, and I am happy because I think I will actually use it more than I originally thought!
0Comment| 318 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2013
The camera takes excellent pictures and videos, the price... you can't go wrong. I just wish it came with a cable as well to transfer pictures to my PC, instead of having to remove the SD card. This does not come with a memory card, i bought a "Transcend 16GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card (TS16GSDHC10E)" together with this and it works well. The camera is very lightweight, and does not look nor feel as though it can withstand any small fall for shock impact, so be careful with it.

Ok an edit to my review: I just tried taking pictures of the moon and venus phenomena (08-09-13) and i realized that this camera zoomed up to 16times! Not just up to x5! After x5 it kept going, x8...x10....x16! I got an awesome pic at x16 of the moon and the planet.
44 comments| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2015
I should have paid attention to the other 1 star reviews. The shutter delay ruins this camera. It has so many features, seems they forgot to make it actually be able to just simply "point and shoot"!!

The manual actually says in different places: "...images will be blurry if you move the camera (or the subject moves) before the shutter sound ends."

The delay on the shutter is so slow. By the time it's done snapping the picture, your subject has moved and you get an odd shot. So the shutter is slow even if you follow the manual and think you have it set up to take action shots, but then it has to process to the memory card which creates an even larger lag between shots, even if you have a high performance memory card.

My iphone recovers so much faster than this camera.

It's impossible to take pictures of moving kids with this.

I don't understand the 5 star reviews.
on December 31, 2015
This would be a great camera for general picture taking. But I sell bridal jewelry online and it doesn't do jewelry very well. The pictures turn out pretty clear, but regardless of the settings, the color doesn't turn out right at all. I have tried everything. The color is always so off that I can't even edit the pictures to show the right colors and brightness. This really isn't a good camera for close up photography. For point and shoot of people, it's great. I included a picture I took with this camera, this is the best I could get this photo. I finally gave up on trying to make it work for my needs and went back to my old camera.
review image
on May 22, 2016
It's lightweight and compact, so perfect for traveling (and backpacking---which is why I bought it). It takes excellent photos. It's just a point and click, so don't expect DSLR quality, but I'm very satisfied with the quality I do get. Colors are vibrant, and there are lots of settings to work with to get the types of shots that you want. I highly recommend this product to anyone who's interested.
review image review image review image
on February 21, 2017
Great camera so far. I haven't used it a lot so far. But I like the pictures so far. It is easy to use so far. I would recommend this camera to anyone who needs a new camera. Also it is a very lightweight camera. Try it you will love it.
on July 24, 2013
This is a great little camera for the bucks. We have had it for a couple of months after our worthless Sony Cybeshot,, realy shot,, and this is so much better. The movies are clear and better than what we had expected. Just be sure to order a for it, get a big one for the movies.
on December 23, 2015
Good, cheap pocket camera. It isn't going to deliver SLR photos; just look at that tiny lens. But for a cheap "pocket" camera it takes decent cell-phone quality photos in daylight, usable flash, and has the familiar Sony camera interface.
on March 3, 2014
Received the camera in a timely manner as promised. Set up was simple, the camera is simple to use, and the photos are extremely clear compared to my old Fuji 3.2 MP camera. The zoom also goes way higher than the specs indicate. Overall, I am very pleased with this camera.