Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 6, 2014
How good are the results from this camera? Before you can answer that, you have to ask what it is that you want out of a pocket camera.

Is it as convenient as a phone camera? No - but then a phone camera won't get better results or be as versatile as this.
Is it as good as a DSLR or even a super-zoom? Definitely not - and one wouldn't expect it to be given it's size and feature set.

This is certainly not a 'professional' amateur camera - it's a basic point and shoot. That means pictures are sometime blurry as it doesn't focus accurately or can't keep up with the motion in front of the lens and pictures are sometimes grainy due to the basic lens. In bright daylight, it works fine for those holiday snaps but it will struggle with low light or indoor pictures.

The screen needs an anti-glare coating or, ideally, a viewfinder - remember those holes that you used to look through before screens came along ?!

In all, given it's price, I would spend a little more and opt for a super-zoom. But given it's size, and if I needed something I could slip into my pocket, then this is a good camera for basic point and shoot type pictures.

I give it 3.5 stars.
on November 17, 2010
I bought this camera to replace a really old 3 MP Powershot that finally died. The settings are very intuitive - it's much easier now to change from "Kids and Pets" to "Outdoor", for instance. I love that the settings are all on a dial!

I don't notice much shutter lag with this camera, either. My old camera needed 7 seconds between shots (I told you it was really old!)...while this isn't as fast as a SLR camera, it's still faster than I expected it to be.

I haven't done intensive study of the manual yet, so bear that in mind when I say that the action shots are still a little fuzzy. I'm trying to catch a four-year-old, though! If anyone has any tips on tweaking the "Kids and Pets" setting for that, please let me know.

In all, I'm very pleased with this camera. It's a fair price for what amounts to an entry-level point-and-shoot, it's really easy to use (my four-year-old even uses it!), and I would recommend it pretty highly.

The only slight drawback that would make me give it 4.5 stars instead of 5 is the fuzzy action shots...but as I stated, I haven't investigated the issue much. So it gets rounded up to a 5.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on May 14, 2017
Not as fast saving photos as the newer models, but I am very happy with the photo quality, and got the camera in original box with all the extras. This little machine is about the size of a cell phone and is so convenient to pack and take on the road.
on July 14, 2010
I purchased this camera for my wife, and I am glad I bought it for her and not myself. This is an entry level camera and nothing more. The picture quality is good, certainly not spectacular, but it is perfectly acceptable for 4x6 prints and online viewing.

The ergonomics of this camera however drive me absolutely crazy. I don't know who at Canon came up with this button layout scheme... but they should be demoted, if not fired. You much have long SKINNY hands to use this camera comfortable. Otherwise it is uncomfortable and awkward to hold, whether you have chubby or just short fingers. This is mostly due to the poorly places Mode dial which overhangs the right side of the camera, so it either gets hit by your palm, of just forces you to hold the camera in an awkward position which does nothing for holding the camera steady.

If you do manage to get a picture, and not a blurry mess, then what you get as I said is respectable. There is a bit of purple fringing in high contrast pictures, but lets be honest for a second, if you are purchasing an basic point and shoot like this, you are probably almost certainly not going to notice the fringing.

If you just need something small to occasionally get a quick snap, then this entry level device may work for you. For anybody looking for a bit more... look elsewhere.
5 helpful votes
on April 23, 2012
Yes, it takes great pictures if kids are not moving around, even slightly. It takes great pictures if your outside or it's not to dark in the AUTO setting. It is EASY to use. If this is a gift for a kid who is btwn 7-18 years old, then it is okay for the money ($166). However, it is SUPER SLOW to take the next picture. If this is for an adult who has babies, toddlers or young children...it'd be best you spend the money on a better camera. I'm not a photographer so I just care about the easy settings and to point and shoot, but now I wished I would have coughed up another $200 for a better compact camera. The problem is that the higher MP, the more space in my computer and external hard-drive they take up. Keeping it from 8-12 mp, seems reasonable, but there isn't anything out there that's reasonably priced. The newer digital cameras are coming out with 16MP. That's too much for me. Consumer reports has the Canon PowerShot S95 as one of the top 3 digital cameras with 10mp and from the amazon reviews, it looks like most are happy with it. I just can't see myself paying $381.00!!! For now I am stuck with this camera, bc it's what I can afford.

NOTE: It seems as soon as consumer reports says "X" is a great camera, people buy, stock is depleted, prices go up and then a new batch of the same model is made, but that newer batch doesn't do as well technically as the first batch. How else could you explain the newest reviews to be so unhappy?
11 comment|Report abuse
on May 2, 2011
My wife and I have gone through 3, this being our third one, cameras in less than 4 years. Mind you we take excellent care of our cameras, but still with no warning...BAM...they just stopped working. We had always been faithful to Samsung because we loved our very first "real" digital camera which was a Samsung. However after two failures we decided to abandon ship and try a brand with more Camera behind its name. After shopping around I found this Canon Powershot at a very good price. So far so good. Easy to use...not quite as easy as our Samsungs, great picture quality and all the features and specs we were looking for. I have had some trouble taking video in low light...very grainy!! The only other thing that I am not super happy about is the flash sensitivity in easy mode. There are times where it seems like there would be no need for flash and yet POOF.....which we all know can create a lot of flash back and consequently a poorer quality shot.

Overall I am very pleased. It has a quick focus/shutter speed which has made for some great action shots...it's a bit slow between pics, but not much more than most. For the price I got at Amazon for this camera...I can't complain. If you have the money...buy a more expensive, more professional type camera (like SLR) to avoid those little annoying quirks. If you are like me and riding a shoestring budget...shop Amazon for Canon and you will be satisfied overall.
2 helpful votes
on November 29, 2010
Bought this based on these reviews, and Consumers Reports review. The price was right - saw the same price in other places over Thanksgiving 2010 weekend, but as a prime member, Amazon was the best place to get it (not to mention has the Chase Visa card and getting the triple points).

Bought this for my wife, who prefers simplicity to full featured content. For her purposes, this camera has everything that it should. Set everything to Auto and the pictures will be fine. If she wants to get creative, the facility is there for that as well.

Amazon was including a memory card for free with the purchase, which took out one user's objections. Only thing that I needed to buy was a carrying case, which I picked up locally (6th Ave electronics always has a god selection of these).

Anyone looking for a simple point and shoot camera needs to look no further - one hint - price seems to vary with the color, so if color is not an object, look for the cheapest one.
5 helpful votes
on January 8, 2011
I purchased this camera as a gift for Christmas. I enjoy photography and had an idea of what I was looking for. My nephew was so excited when he opened it and started snapping photos!

I can't speak for the video feature (although my little Canon is great for videos), but the photo quality, LCD size, settings and total size are great! I like the 4x Optical zoom with Image Stabilization (very important in my opinion!) because it's a good zoom without blur. An important feature I had some trouble finding on similar sized/valued cameras was the battery type. I like the Lithium rechargeables because they last a long time and you don't have to keep buying new batteries when the batteries run down. I only wish it had a view finder, but most don't these days and my nephew wouldn't use it anyway!

Canon brand is a great brand in my opinion, too. I currently have a 50D DSLR, but had the XTi before that. My printer is a Canon as well as my small camera (I keep in my purse) and my video camera. Never had any problems with any of them!
on May 25, 2017
works well as expected. Ordered it 'used' and it came in pristine shape.
on January 4, 2011
This camera is great! Before purchasing this camera, I had gotten a Fuji Film FinePix z70 and couldnt' stand it. I returned it after a week because I couldn't get it to take a good picture. Every picture was out of focus or the camera would choose to focus on the dust in the air. I was miserable with it. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find a camera that I really liked, but I decided to take a chance on this camera - and I'm in love. This camera is so easy to use that I haven't even read the manual for it. The battery is keeping a charge nicely and it charged fairly quickly, too. I'm really happy with the quality of the photos this camera takes. I have a 16 month old son, who just can't sit still so I need a camera that can keep up with him and this is that camera! Believe me, I did a lot of research after returning the Fuji Film camera and before buying this one - I'm pretty sure there is no better camera out there for the price!