Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 194 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 236 reviews
on July 10, 2010
This is the third Canon "A" series that I have purchased. For those of you unfamiliar with the Canon line, they are targeted at users who value simplicity and ease of use. Clearly, they are also focused on a price point that is quite low. If you are looking for greater sophistication and higher quality (both photographic and build), there are many other choices. However, given its mission, the A3100 succeeds.

First, ease of use is well thought out. The user is presented with icons intended to be intuitive. However, there is a safety net for those perplexed by that approach: the software provides a running, written commentary on the purpose of the available options. The designers have attempted to make this device as palatable and non threatening as possible.

Second, even for users accustomed to more sophisticated cameras, the image quality is more than satisfactory. When purchasing a digital camera, one should not concentrate on "pixels". Digital imaging is dependent upon lens quality and the processor, in this case Canon's Digic III. I have felt that Canon's processors were among the best, for years. However, it is fair to say that the technology has improved to such an extent that many of the major brands are competitive with one another.

My primary concern and criticism is build quality; the battery and memory card door is flimsy (another review mentioned this), as is the USB port cover. Only time will tell if this is a problem.

Another review has mentioned dark images and less than satisfactory results with the zoom. While I have not utilized the digital zoom, yet, I find the optical zoom and image stabilization to operate quite well.

This is not an advanced SLR or a Leica; nor is it intended to be. However, within the scope of its designers' intent, it performs admirably, rewarding the user with photos above "snapshot" quality. For approximately $150.00, it is difficult to imagine a better performer.
on June 19, 2010
Canon PowerShot A3100IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Blue)
I purchased this Canon A3100IS 12.1 MP digital camera about a month ago. At first I wasn't sure if this camera was for me... it's my first Canon pocket digital camera (always carried a bigger digital camera) and I am pleasantly surprised how much fun it is taking photos with this camera. The camera is easy to learn, fun to use & takes great photos. Everyone loves the photos I've done so far & can't believe they came from this little camera!! I'm not a professional photographer, I just like snapping photos of life's moments, to share with family & friends & occasionally surprise myself with how good they turn out!! If you own a Mac you don't even need to download the photo program... just plug the camera in to your Mac, turn on the Canon and within a few minutes your photos are downloaded to iPhoto and ready to share!! I would recommend this camera to anyone looking for a camera that is small (but still easy to handle), easy to learn & takes great photos. I bought this from Amazon & received it in 3 days!!
PS. I Love this camera case, can throw it in my bag or clip it to a belt loop, fits the camera well with space for extra SD cards, it's a Caselogic TBC-302 Ultra Compact Camera Case with Storage.
review image review image
on December 6, 2014
How good are the results from this camera? Before you can answer that, you have to ask what it is that you want out of a pocket camera.

Is it as convenient as a phone camera? No - but then a phone camera won't get better results or be as versatile as this.
Is it as good as a DSLR or even a super-zoom? Definitely not - and one wouldn't expect it to be given it's size and feature set.

This is certainly not a 'professional' amateur camera - it's a basic point and shoot. That means pictures are sometime blurry as it doesn't focus accurately or can't keep up with the motion in front of the lens and pictures are sometimes grainy due to the basic lens. In bright daylight, it works fine for those holiday snaps but it will struggle with low light or indoor pictures.

The screen needs an anti-glare coating or, ideally, a viewfinder - remember those holes that you used to look through before screens came along ?!

In all, given it's price, I would spend a little more and opt for a super-zoom. But given it's size, and if I needed something I could slip into my pocket, then this is a good camera for basic point and shoot type pictures.

I give it 3.5 stars.
on November 17, 2010
I bought this camera to replace a really old 3 MP Powershot that finally died. The settings are very intuitive - it's much easier now to change from "Kids and Pets" to "Outdoor", for instance. I love that the settings are all on a dial!

I don't notice much shutter lag with this camera, either. My old camera needed 7 seconds between shots (I told you it was really old!)...while this isn't as fast as a SLR camera, it's still faster than I expected it to be.

I haven't done intensive study of the manual yet, so bear that in mind when I say that the action shots are still a little fuzzy. I'm trying to catch a four-year-old, though! If anyone has any tips on tweaking the "Kids and Pets" setting for that, please let me know.

In all, I'm very pleased with this camera. It's a fair price for what amounts to an entry-level point-and-shoot, it's really easy to use (my four-year-old even uses it!), and I would recommend it pretty highly.

The only slight drawback that would make me give it 4.5 stars instead of 5 is the fuzzy action shots...but as I stated, I haven't investigated the issue much. So it gets rounded up to a 5.
on May 14, 2017
Not as fast saving photos as the newer models, but I am very happy with the photo quality, and got the camera in original box with all the extras. This little machine is about the size of a cell phone and is so convenient to pack and take on the road.
on July 14, 2010
I purchased this camera for my wife, and I am glad I bought it for her and not myself. This is an entry level camera and nothing more. The picture quality is good, certainly not spectacular, but it is perfectly acceptable for 4x6 prints and online viewing.

The ergonomics of this camera however drive me absolutely crazy. I don't know who at Canon came up with this button layout scheme... but they should be demoted, if not fired. You much have long SKINNY hands to use this camera comfortable. Otherwise it is uncomfortable and awkward to hold, whether you have chubby or just short fingers. This is mostly due to the poorly places Mode dial which overhangs the right side of the camera, so it either gets hit by your palm, of just forces you to hold the camera in an awkward position which does nothing for holding the camera steady.

If you do manage to get a picture, and not a blurry mess, then what you get as I said is respectable. There is a bit of purple fringing in high contrast pictures, but lets be honest for a second, if you are purchasing an basic point and shoot like this, you are probably almost certainly not going to notice the fringing.

If you just need something small to occasionally get a quick snap, then this entry level device may work for you. For anybody looking for a bit more... look elsewhere.
on April 23, 2012
Yes, it takes great pictures if kids are not moving around, even slightly. It takes great pictures if your outside or it's not to dark in the AUTO setting. It is EASY to use. If this is a gift for a kid who is btwn 7-18 years old, then it is okay for the money ($166). However, it is SUPER SLOW to take the next picture. If this is for an adult who has babies, toddlers or young children...it'd be best you spend the money on a better camera. I'm not a photographer so I just care about the easy settings and to point and shoot, but now I wished I would have coughed up another $200 for a better compact camera. The problem is that the higher MP, the more space in my computer and external hard-drive they take up. Keeping it from 8-12 mp, seems reasonable, but there isn't anything out there that's reasonably priced. The newer digital cameras are coming out with 16MP. That's too much for me. Consumer reports has the Canon PowerShot S95 as one of the top 3 digital cameras with 10mp and from the amazon reviews, it looks like most are happy with it. I just can't see myself paying $381.00!!! For now I am stuck with this camera, bc it's what I can afford.

NOTE: It seems as soon as consumer reports says "X" is a great camera, people buy, stock is depleted, prices go up and then a new batch of the same model is made, but that newer batch doesn't do as well technically as the first batch. How else could you explain the newest reviews to be so unhappy?
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2011
My wife and I have gone through 3, this being our third one, cameras in less than 4 years. Mind you we take excellent care of our cameras, but still with no warning...BAM...they just stopped working. We had always been faithful to Samsung because we loved our very first "real" digital camera which was a Samsung. However after two failures we decided to abandon ship and try a brand with more Camera behind its name. After shopping around I found this Canon Powershot at a very good price. So far so good. Easy to use...not quite as easy as our Samsungs, great picture quality and all the features and specs we were looking for. I have had some trouble taking video in low light...very grainy!! The only other thing that I am not super happy about is the flash sensitivity in easy mode. There are times where it seems like there would be no need for flash and yet POOF.....which we all know can create a lot of flash back and consequently a poorer quality shot.

Overall I am very pleased. It has a quick focus/shutter speed which has made for some great action shots...it's a bit slow between pics, but not much more than most. For the price I got at Amazon for this camera...I can't complain. If you have the money...buy a more expensive, more professional type camera (like SLR) to avoid those little annoying quirks. If you are like me and riding a shoestring budget...shop Amazon for Canon and you will be satisfied overall.
on November 29, 2010
Bought this based on these reviews, and Consumers Reports review. The price was right - saw the same price in other places over Thanksgiving 2010 weekend, but as a prime member, Amazon was the best place to get it (not to mention has the Chase Visa card and getting the triple points).

Bought this for my wife, who prefers simplicity to full featured content. For her purposes, this camera has everything that it should. Set everything to Auto and the pictures will be fine. If she wants to get creative, the facility is there for that as well.

Amazon was including a memory card for free with the purchase, which took out one user's objections. Only thing that I needed to buy was a carrying case, which I picked up locally (6th Ave electronics always has a god selection of these).

Anyone looking for a simple point and shoot camera needs to look no further - one hint - price seems to vary with the color, so if color is not an object, look for the cheapest one.
on June 28, 2014
Bought as a replacement for an older version that had some issues. The fact that it runs on Li-Ion batteries is great...better than carrying XX number of rechargeable AA batteries with you everywhere you go. The quality of the pictures is sufficient, but sometimes if the camera's not steady, it could produce a rather blurry picture. However, the majority of my pictures have been clear. I have not sufficiently tested the video feature, but the videos that I did capture were of good quality. A very good choice of camera if you are a fan of Canon cameras. Enjoy!!!