Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 328 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 391 reviews
on October 2, 2012
Updated 9/25/13

The first thing I noticed when I took the G15 out of its box for the first time was its impressive build quality. Everything is tightly constructed and what feels like a tough mag alloy body. It's not necessarily pocketable but is slightly smaller and thinner than the G12. One minor complaint, however, is that the handgrip up front seems shallower than on the G12 so at first it doesn't feel as comfortable to grip. The battery is of a good size and the camera gets excellent battery life.

The control layout on the back of the camera is the same as the G12 and G1X, generally straight-forward and logically placed. The menu system has not changed at all from previous models... so if you're coming from the G12, you should be able to locate where everything is rather quickly. You have the function button for the most commonly accessed settings and the menu button for all other settings. The LCD on back, while sadly, not articulated like on the G12 is gorgeous...very bright and clear. The viewfinder is the same small one found in the G1X and G12..but it works okay when you can't use the LCD.

Canon promised improved AF performance over the G12 and it is most certainly quicker. It isn't the fastest in its class but it does have reliable AF and no problems even in low light locking on. Most folks will find it perfectly satisfactory. Lens performance is quite snappy though, and you can zoom in and out relatively quickly. The camera also has some of the most rock solid image stabilization on any camera I have seen.

The image quality that this camera produces is excellent considering its sensor size. You can of course wring out more detail out of your photos if you shoot RAW. But the JEPGS are excellent as well. Color performance is excellent. It produces punchy but accurate colors and the lens is decently sharp at all focal lengths. Noise is well controlled through ISO400 but you can still get decent results up through ISO1600, especially if you shoot RAW and don't blow the photos up to huge sizes. However, with the fast lens, you may never need to go that high. My one minor gripe with this camera is that it overexposes at times. You can correct that problem very quickly though by dialing in some negative exposure compensation. But overall, I think most people will find the photos that this camera produces very nice.

I have not messed much with the movie mode but it has a few manual controls. One feature that stuck out to me is the 1280x720 HD iframe recording, which can be imported right into Apple video editing software without losing any of its quality. If this feature is important to you...the new G16 does not have this feature so it might be worth sticking with the G15.

Judged by image quality alone, the Sony RX100 models are at the top of the enthusiast point and shoot heap. But if you're not interested in plunking down $650-$750, this camera offers a well-rounded shooting experience and will probably give you many years of dependable operation and great photos. This camera is soon to be replaced by the G16, which will command a $100 price premium over this model. The G16 is an overall much faster camera with about the same photo quality (maybe slightly improved high ISO performance), but if you're fine with slower AF and don't need the high burst rate of the G16, I would save your money and get the G15.
1515 comments| 215 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2013
I shoot all the time with Canon DSLR and I am usually lugging above 20lbs of equipment in a Pelican case. This becomes a little too much, especially when I also have to carry a backup body, lighting equipment etc.
I bought this one after reading lots of reviews and my expectations were pretty high. Many people commented already so I will overview the great and the not so great briefly before getting to what I think I can add to the conversation.

The camera is built like a tank - this is obvious the minute you take it in hand.
It is smaller than those I am used to so it did take me some time to get used to its form factor.
The controls are great and I was able to find my way around them almost immediately (coming from Canon DSLR) except for the zoom button, which will give you an idea of how long since I last manipulated a compact. Just to be clear it is where you would expect it, it just took ME some adjustment.
The menus are obvious.
The LCD is gorgeous and the same as the 7D I use most of the time.
The display modes when shooting live view are very informative.
I wish the manual came in dead tree form, not circular shiny plastic.

The so-so: the flash management menu entry is only available when you are using the pop-up flash; not even when you attach a flash in the hot shoe.

The popup flash tends to open when you carry the camera in a simple trousers pocket - I even had the camera power up and extend its lens once or twice. No damage, no biggie.
No remote flash control through the pop up flash - now, THAT would have blown me away, so I won't count it as a minus.

What I was mostly wondering about before receiving it were the following aspects. I give my rating in stars, max is five.

- Ease of use: so close to ***** that I posted above a picture I shot with it in a total of 10 seconds from the pocket to the pocket, including color temperature selection and exposition -1 1/3eV. This was one of the first few tens of pictures I shot with it.

- Color rendition - ***** - I did several tests and comparisons with a color checker and a 7D and it works very well. They end-up a little more saturated than with the 7D in my experiment, but this would be expected considering the apertures and the lenses used.

- Exposure metering - ***** - In the collection of tests I did last night in my hotel room, I used a Sekonic L-308s and the 7D as reference and the results are very good. Shot two remote external flash (580ExII and YN560) and measure the aperture, set both the 7D and the G15 to that aperture and ISO and shoot the colorchecker grey card. They both come out the same and ok (proper value, no cast).

- Flash control - **** There I tried with the one I had: an old 580ExII. Now let's be clear, the 580ExII on the G15 looks silly: it is three times the size of the camera - you would be excused for thinking that the thingy attached under the flash is a pocket wizard of sorts! However the results are just what you would expect: the ETTL works just fine and the resulting exposures are excellent.
I only put four stars because of the SNAFU I mentioned about the menu not being accessible unless the Jimmini Cricket of a popup flash is out of its box.

- Shooting in low light, others have mentioned it already, works fine. ***** See the picture I posted of the office building, the one I shot in 10 seconds.

- Shooting with the flash - **** - This silly little flash is actually pretty powerful. This is not a 580ExII by any means, but at close range it can be enough. If the 580ExII were a Colt Pacificator, this would be a Derringer: cute but not harmless.

- Shooting with remote controlled flash. *****
"What?!?" can I hear you say, "I thought there was no such capability". Well, not natively indeed, but I had a cheap remote control solution with me so I just tried: the Yongnuo RF-603 C1 works just fine with the G15, if you accept that the remote control wire plugs in on the right side of the camera body, i.e. where you would put your hand to hold it, and of course this only works with the flash in manual. It is also controlled remotely by the same YN603.
You will need a cable to plug between the G15 and the YN603; as it turns out it is the one that comes with the C1 kit as mentioned above.
Nonetheless, it works.
I will post a picture or two of the geared up G15.

- The great and unexpected: the C1 and C2 positions on the main mode dial, that you can use for your predefined setups - just like on a pro DSLR. This is just great.

- Another great feature I was not expecting: focus bracketing. I don't use it that much but I can see how it could save the day.

I cannot comment on what I have not tried seriously yet: Video and HDR.

So.
All in all I bought this camera to ensure I will always take a backup with me, and as a walk around camera for when I don't want to lug my bigger bodies.
It does that, way better than I dared hope for.
A solid five stars.

If you have questions, feel free to post them in comments below - I make a point of answering them.
____________________________

Update May 11th - I post two pictures of the mist at midnight in Guilford, CT, taken with the camera sitting on the roof of my car. The only modification I did was to rotate them slightly as I could not level the car properly :)
(1) The LCD showed visible banding in the misty areas on the darkest one of the two - the picture came out just fine.
(2) The colors displayed by the LCD seem pretty yellowish to me - again this is not an issue with the actual picture.

Other remarks: the camera supports much more modes than what I will ever use in real life, but I made a point to test HDR (not bad if you like the style) and the various shutter release modes such as smile detection. They seem to work, provided you smile with all your teeth.
Still not tested seriously: face recognition (I also have a concern with privacy rights in that case) and video. I will update this review as appropriate.
____________________________

Update June 21st 2013
Small clarification regarding using a Yongnuo RF-603: you do NOT need the cable if you only want to remote-control the flash from the camera.
You only need it to remote control the camera from yet another RF-603.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on June 7, 2013
*Update 10/7/13*
Still in photographic love with the g15. I've started taking pictures in RAW format and have actually noticed a significant difference between JPEG and RAW. The colors are better, shadows are more defined, and while I haven't tried this myself, those in the know say RAW format is much easier to edit in post production. Here's the thing - compared to JPEG, RAW format files are H-U-G-E (in some cases, almost EIGHT times as large!) No wonder the RAW images are prettier. The JPEG files average out at about 3.5 - 4 Megs per photo, while the raw files are upwards of 27 megs . . .! I guess I'd better invest in some extra storage space!

I have been a fan of the Powershot G series since the G1. I have owned the G1, G5, G9, as well as SX200IS and SX40. I was lured away from the "traditional" G series by the prospect of a greater optical zoom (SX200is) and ultimately the "superzoom" (SX40). Now I have returned to the G15 and I am overwhelmed with joy. While the zoom and superzoom cameras take decent shots and have nice close-up capabilities, the overall quality of the photos (color balance, sharpness, depth of field) was lacking. The superzoom had issues with vignetting and distortion of the image at the outer edges. One of the things that the early G series (as well as most early model digital cameras) had problems with was low light shots. The sensors couldn't handle low light situations without graininess.
Enter the G15. It is a solidly constructed body, has plenty of functionality for the budding photographer and the serious amateur, takes GREAT low light shots, and just takes beautifully crisp, balanced pictures. I am very pleased with my purchase.
Pros:
*Much improved low light shooting
*TONS of features (facial recognition, self portrait with a wink, "fisheye," posterizing, slo-mo video, HD video, etc, etc, etc, etc!
*Dials and buttons are placed within easy reach (new exposure setting dial is very nice)
*LCD is big and beautiful (doesn't flip out, but I always figured that was one more thing to break)
*AUTO shots are crisp, balanced, deeply colored and gorgeous
*Plenty of options to allow you to play with exposure time, aperture, timer, white balance, color swap, monochrome and much much more.
*Multiple accessories allow for adapting filters and lenses, external flash, macro ring lights, remotes, slaves, and on and on.
Cons:
*unless you are interested in delving into tweaking your photos, all of these features might be a bit overwhelming.
*body might be a little heavy for some .

This is a brilliant camera. I'm glad I came back.
on December 3, 2013
I'll keep my review short as other have already done a great job explaining the features and technical specs of the Canon G15. I bought mine to bring on a dive trip. My previous UW camera was a Canon Powershot SD940 IS in a Canon housing which yielded excellent photos and video, but had awful battery life. I knew that the G15 could last several dives in a row on one charge, while providing the trusted Canon quality.

Instead of buying the Canon branded UW housing, I went with one from MegaGear (cost a lot less, came with threads for underwater closeup lens). With this housing, two Fantasea Sharp Eye underwater closeup lenses and a Sola Dive Light (800 lumens with hand strap), I was able to take some great shots (uploaded a few as examples of what's possible). The camera performed without any glitches and I'm very happy with my purchase.

I also took some photos while on land and was pleased with the quality. I didn't experience any issues with overexposure as mentioned by other reviewers. Overall, the G15 did a splendid job throughout my recent month-long trip to Kuala Lumpur (with 10 days on the side to Indonesia for my dives). I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a solid travel camera and definitely to any amateur underwater photographer wanting to get some good photos without a bulky, expensive kit.
review image review image review image review image
on March 5, 2013
I am a photography enthusiast turning semi-pro and a very picky individual when it comes to my cameras. I have to admit I was slighty skeptical when it came to dropping all that cash on a point and shoot camera instead of looking at new lens for my Canon DSLR.

I will not write any specs or any of the stuff all of you are most likely tired of reading or watching on YouTube, but things I know you will ALL be interested to know if the G15 is part of your wishlist.

It's worth the high cost. It's literally a professional level point and shoot intended as a DSLR companion which can take advantage of your Speedlite Flash if you own one! It gives FULL manual control to your pictures as if it was your DSLR! Amazing noise control when using ISO up to 800 (noticeable after that) and of course, it's huge aperture even while fully zoomed makes it ideal for low light situations and offers excellent bokeh shots! Amazing macro capabilities.

It has no tilting screen unfortunately, this in an effort to keep it's size under control. Not a big deal for me, but for others it can be an issue when comparing it to the G12.

Please people, I noticed you CAN'T judge the quality of the picture you just took by looking at it from the camera itself. When looking at the from your computer, the difference is quite amazing. I was disappointed when zooming into the picture I just took from the camera itself to notice high noise and color issues only to see a perfect picture when transferred to my computer.

Ability to shoot RAW+JPEG is also a very refreshing thing to see! A SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC card will be ideal with this purchase. Amazing battery life in my opinion.

Did I mention it feels just, right? It's tank-like construction makes me feel like if I am holding nothing but pure quality! Yes, it's not all metal like the G1X (which I don't really like at all when comparing it to this camera) but it is constructed extremely well. It can definitely survive some punishment!

It's video quality of 1080p is superb! You won't be able to really obtain film-quality video with it like a camcorder but it will surely please your video recording needs when on the go! Simply look up "G15 Video Samples" on YouTube and turn on the 1080p option. It's really good considering everything this little camera can do.

I often notice people comparing it to the Sony RX100 which is an amazing compact camera as well! But keep in mind there are a few things to consider here. I went with the G15 over the fact that I am a big Canon guy, with a Canon DSLR, lens and flashes. I want to be able to use my flash and I've grown close to Canon products. If you want to spent more money on a DSLR companion, then perhaps the Sony RX100 will be a good choice (over the G1X "yes, I hated it") but I personally don't see a reason to give out my G15. It feels solid, it' packed with amazing features able to satisfy my manual mode cravings and it performs beautifully (even better than the Sony RX100 based on many video reviews) when it comes to low light situations.

I am happy with my purchase. It's an amazing compact companion and I take it everywhere I go! If a great picture opportunity arises where my DSLR is not available, I would feels just as comfortable to snap a picture if I have this baby with me.
on April 21, 2013
I've had the G7 the G10 and now the G15. As a professional photographer I don't like to carry my expensive pro gear around when I'm out and about. Yet I want to have a camera on me at all times for personal shots, practice shots, and just having fun with my camera!

The G7 was great. I bought the camera and canon case where I could loop the case to my belt and I had the camera with me at all times. It lasted about 3 years before the zoom lever spring broke. Fortunately I had bought an extended warranty and got the g10 as a free replacement. Good deal! The g10 came able to shoot RAW files and I used it quite a lot as I like to do some HDR photography and you need RAW files and a tripod for this. The biggest advantage though that I found of both these cameras is their Macro feature (able to shoot close up--just inches away from the subject). With the small sensor they give a lot of depth of field (more area in focus than even a pro macro lense!). I can copy text, or small objects, car parts, whatever with great clarity.

The one downside to the G10 which was a 15 megapixel camera is that it had a lot of noise at 1600 ISO. I needed less noise when shooting indoors without using flash (shooting natural light). To offset the noise/grain in the image I used a software program to reduce it but typically the image would then look softer!

Amazon allowed me to trade the G10 (which was still in good working order) and get approx. $100 off the price of a new G15. The G15 comes with a faster lense and has less noise at the higher ISO's and is slightly smaller in size. This is just what I wanted! It shoots great portraits in low light without flash.

The G15 comes with a new pop-up flash and I cannot get any red eye when using it (which is just amazing!). I like that they have included a dedicated button for video and also I can now shoot HD video! They added a new dial for adjusting fstop and shutter speed which is great too! (before you had to jump through the menu's which was a pain).

Lastly this camera and their new line of Canon Powershots now come with Smart Auto. Will go through 37 different program modes automatically picking the one that is best for your photography situation. If the subject is moving it knows to track it! If shooting close up it automatically goes into Macro mode! Etc...Etc. About the only time I found it not useful is when the subject is back lite! I had to pop the flash and manually force it to fire or I would get more of a sillouette.

All in all this is a great camera and I would not be afraid to use it on a pro job as well. It is that good of a camera!
on January 15, 2014
I have had this camera now for 8 months and I really like it. Built like a tank. It takes very good photos, even in auto mode. Lots of manual exposure/focus options. Can create very nice HDR photos using three-shot bracketing. The only downside for me is the lack of a long telephoto ability. So, it's not a good "birding" camera. However, I have taken some very nice landscape/architectural photos. Since the G16 came out, the G15 is discounted around $100. I have looked at the G16, and can't think of any solid reason to replace the G15 with it. Same lens, same sensor. the G16 apparently has a faster processor, but I've never felt "bogged down" by the G15.

Update: Still kicking! I have passed it along to my daughter for her honeymoon trip to France this summer. Told her to just keep it in Automatic mode and she'll be happy. I have occasionally used it in the last year or two (I mostly use a Sony A6000), and it still takes terrific photos, given the teeny weenie sensor!
on December 28, 2013
I am 62 years old and I have always had film or digital SLR cameras since I was in my 20's since I had considered point and shoot cameras to be inferior and not worth the photo lab or printing cost. Currently I am happy with my Canon DSLR t2i except for the size and weight. There are times when I am traveling light and I needed a compact camera but it has to provide near DSLR quality photos because I am spoiled with the great photos from my t2i. My photos must be perfect because I tend to enlarge them to 36 by 24 and hang them in my living room for my visiting guests to admire. One of my guest thought that some of my photos were taken by a professional and not by my Canon t2i.

While reading consumers report, the G15 was one of the recommended compact camera so I did my research on this camera and concluded that at $299 to $399, you can't go wrong. After using it for a month, I was so happy with this purchase that I purchased a second G15 for my brother as a gift.

Here are my favorite features: (1) programmable C1 and C2 settings on the top dial that instantly recalls my favorite settings without going thru the menu settings again. (2) If the flash is in the popup position, it will always flash and if the flash is retracted, it won't. (3) The top exposure compensation dial to lighten or darken the photos which you can do very quickly. (4) flash output compensation to increase output to extend the reach of the flash or reduce the output to minimize flash washout of the subject. (5) The three inch screen is stunning and even better than my Canon t2i. (6) Generally, it has most of the controls of my Canon DSLR t2i but the G15 controls are more user-friendly and intuitive. It seems like Steve Jobs must have designed this camera for a serious photographer like me who needed to set the camera settings as quickly as possible without fumbling thru the various menus. (7) The resulting photos are near DSLR quality which I thought was amazing given the compact size.

While the photos are not quite DSLR quality and results are very close. There are better cameras than the G15 but not one of them is a better value for the money that you will pay. This camera is a perfect complement for people who already have a DSLR camera and needed a more compact camera with near DSLR quality. For those buyers who don't want an DSLR camera, then this is the compact camera to get. Five stars easily but I would give it 6 stars because I paid only half the price of my Canon t2i and this camera is so user-friendly. To appreciate the photos, you should transfer the photos to a 10 inch ipad with retina display.
on January 5, 2013
Hello everybody,

I am not a professional photographer and do not know much about aperture, shutter speed, raw, and those specs. All I can tell you is that this camera takes high quality pictures and videos. Now, I want to take photography courses. I was undecided between the Sony RX100 and this one. I tested both, for many days, and honestly speaking, overall, this Canon is superior. The sensor is smaller than the rx100, but Canon's lens is better and its processor is a bullet, it focuses so fast (Digic 5), and the images are so SHARP, the colors so vivid. The build quality is solid and feels expensive; the RX100 feels weak and it does not bring a charger. I am so happy with this purchase. I am going to digest the manual; if you do not know much about photography, this camera will ignite your desires to learn more.

Get this camera without hesitating, you will not regret the decision ;-)

One more thing: You barely need the flash, this camera takes beautiful pictures in extremely low light conditions, and they look sharp!

The battery lasts long. The camera brings a charger and a high quality neck strap. I love this camera.

The combination of the Digic 5 processor, the bright lens, the larger than average sensor size, the solid/durable/expensive build quality, battery, design, makes this camera a high quality product.

****** Update (07/26/2016) ******

I live in South Florida and I have taken thousands of pictures with my G15 and it stills performs like brand new. My siblings ended up buying their own G15s after they took mine on a trip to Barcelona and fell in love with it. Canon, you shouldn't discontinue the G series. I bought a Sony A5000 for my wife and even though it has a larger sensor we always end up using the G15... this compact camera is a treasure.
review image review image review image
on September 13, 2013
My decision to the get the G15 was based on research in different web sites. After two months using this camera, I can say it is indeed an excellent mix of professional and point & shoot features! My aim was to have a camera for family events, vacations, etc, but also for my field and lab work as a botanist. I have a D-SRL Canon EOS 50D for use in the lab, which I do not want to bring in my field trips (weight, security). The G15 is compact (but not too small) and delivers very fast and good quality images, even in not so good lighting conditions in the field. Not to mention that the macro mode is amazing for a compact camera lens.

I probably missed the small print, but I would have wanted to know before purchase that the camera comes without a memory card. Also, I recommend you buy a filter adapter and some filters for protection. There is no rigid lens cap! The camera screen is very delicate, but a screen protector 3x Canon PowerShot G15 Digital Camera Premium Clear LCD Screen Protector Cover Guard Shield Film Kits. Exact fit, no cutting. (3 pieces by GUARMOR) and a camera bag is working fine for me. I got the Case Logic Camera Case TBC-403 which fits perfectly. Case Logic Medium Camera Case TBC-403.