BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now HTL17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(3 star). See all 445 reviews
on March 31, 2009
Perhaps it is the settings, but I've tried them all - infinity, not, no flash, flash, night, auto, etc. and photos were VERY dark. I was disappointed as I've had trouble finding a good P&S that does indoor photos adequately in a conference room. Then the Canon is worse than Panasonic lumix and Olympus that I own. I'd be willing to change the review stars (which made me buy yet another camera in the first place), but it's not obvious how to get the settings to do a decent indoor photo of people who are not just right in front of you. Otherwise, I like the compact camera and video but the delay between photo takes were too slow as well, and I'm not using hi-res or hi-pixels. thx.
on December 22, 2008
I've had the camera for a few weeks now. The face recognition and auto red-eye reduction are really cool. It's fairly easy to use but some of the functions could be a little easier to access. It has one menu for general camera settings like pictures size, date, etc. and a separate menu for settings you might set while taking pictures. It can be a little annoying having to dive into these different menus to find what you what to change. My biggest complaint is the picture quality. The camera automatically jacks the ISO up to get the shutter speed up to limit blur but the result is very noisy and pixelated. Canon, if you are going to boost the ISO to limit blur, you should also use a sensor capable of capturing images at that ISO with little noise.

Summary, get this camera if you want to get quick snapshots of family functions, etc. Skip it if you want to take pictures of anything in less than ideal light conditions.
44 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2009
I have used a number of different point and shoots (Nikon, Sony and Canon) but I always end up sticking with Canon. I have had every iteration of the Elph line and this camera was an upgrade from the original SD IS, the SD700 IS. While the SD700 is only 6MP it takes great pictures. I have used the SD700 on trips to Italy and London (rather than lug the Canon 20D around) and the image quality is superb. The camera build quality is excellent and solid. I found the SD770IS camera build to be flimsy in comparison. Also, I do not like the slide bar selector at all. I prefer the dial to select camera, view image or record options. As far as picture quality, my SD700IS takes a much better picture. The SD770IS is a much smaller camera than the SD700IS (feels about half the size) but the Elph line is small anyway. I would rather carry a few extra ounces around and have a better built camera. I am returning this and ordering the SD990IS which looks like it may have the same build quality as my SD700IS. I am hoping the image quality is as good as my old SD700IS!
on December 18, 2008
The pictures are clear in that you can see every detail but I like taking pictures in my house and for some reason every picture I take in my house with this camera is blurry. Actually almost every picture I take anywhere is blurry or dark. It's very small, I am sure I will be able to carry it in my purse all the time with no extra weight. I love that it's so easy to use, right out of the box you can start snapping shots. I don't like that you have to have a memory card in to use it, but with any camera you eventually will need a memory card so that's OK. Another thing I really don't like is that you have to hold down the button for at least three seconds then let go, before it will take the shot. Three seconds is not a long time but it seems like forever and people usually change their facial expression so you end up not capturing the moment. There are a lot more things that I don't like about this camera than my old Sony DSC camera so I've only used it a couple of times and find myself not even wanting to take pictures because I know the quality is not going to be what I'm used to. With that said, I'll probably be buying another Sony. Eventually I am going to invest in a DSLR because these regular digital cameras just don't have enough greatness for me.
on January 10, 2009
Canon PowerShot SD770 IS 10MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Silver)

a very good camera for a prince range of around 150dollars , pictures are good 2.5inch lcd is good battery life is ok
a decent pocket size camera .
but i would prefer a 10mp cam with a good optical zoom like cannon sd890 and it has a nice 5x optical zoom shape of the camera is nice .
on January 7, 2009
No problems. Just as advertised. Its very small. A couple test pics in medium light was a little grainy when viewing the picture at full resolution, so I'm not sure whats going on there. I tried to take a picture while moving the camera, and sure enought it still takes blurry photos which I assumed was a thing of the past is the "IS" technology.
on January 11, 2009
Overall, pictures taken in good light come out very nicely. My main complaint with the camera is that there is no flash brightness compensation that I can find. For indoor shots of people, the flash is definitely too bright leading to washed out faces. If you're lucky enough that the face recognition software picks up the faces, the camera will tone the flash down and the results are much better, but especially for quick shots, candids etc. the face recognition doesn't work so well. My other complaint is that the "grain" (film term),or "noise" increases very quickly at high ISO settings. I do most of my shooting with a Canon SLR 20D, which produces very nice images at ISO 800, and decent at ISO 1600, but the noise reduction in the SLR is clearly not being used here.

Beyond those 2 negatives, I've been pretty happy, I always want more manual control, but this price class is one step below those options.
M<
on August 18, 2009
This is a good camera but not a great camera. I was hoping for better quality than my last camera but after owning the Photshot SD770 IS camera for only 8 months the battery door broke off. The hinge cracked because it is made of plastic. My choices were to pay to ship it back to Cannon for repair and be without my camera for several weeks or to order the $13.00 part and install it myself. I opted to order the part as it "should" be easy to install and I won't be without my camera for several weeks.

Overall the camera is a good camera. It is not too difficult to operate but there are settings that I haven't begun to explore. The picture quality is good. I am sure it could be better if I learned how to use some of the more advanced settings, but for my home use it is good enough.
on January 29, 2009
This camera takes clear pictures and I love the video feature. However, I have very fair skin and this camera gave my skin color a slight tint. Almost a very light yellowish tint. I had to use the skin tone corrector feature on every picture and adjust it to "lighter skin tones." This gets very tedious. Needless to say, it is now up for sale on eBay. I am going to stick with Sony cameras.
on January 30, 2009
When delivered it would NOT work, I had to send it back to the company for repairs. This was very annoying, time consuming and postage/insurance was expensive. Canon did fix it now it works OK. Why sould something brand new have to be repaired?