Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 705 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 745 reviews
on May 17, 2013
I just received this camera today. I had done extensive research and comparison with other Canon Elph models before choosing this one.

A few factors led to my decision:
1. I wanted high resolution and high optical zoom capability. Optical zoom is so important because that governs how much raw info you can capture. Digital zoom is just software and ultimately will result in pixellation.
2. The Wifi capability was intriguing, but not a deal breaker.
3. The price point was well under $200 ($169) and this was far below the MSRP. A note on this - I would have opted for a higher priced camera but this is a second camera to be used on an upcoming trip where I did not want to lug my Canon Rebel EOS and all of its lenses. I would not have chosen an Elph as a primary camera - but for travel, it seemed to be ideal.
4. In keeping with the above, I also wanted something I could drop in my fanny pack or shirt pocket (although I am not likely to do that - shirt pocket that is.)
5. I chose Canon because of familiarity with the brand and generally good experience with an older Elph I bought for my wife, and of course the EOS and lenses.
6. I definitely did not want the touch screen that was offered on some new models simply because - although convenient - they are a royal pain and I often mis-touch the screen requiring go backs, or cancellations and do overs. For a device this size, buttons seemed to be a better choice. I do use the touch screen on my Motorola Razr Droid Maxx and have learned to live with its idiosynchracies. I also read some really negative reviews on the touch screens and didn't want to be a guinea pig.

So, now that you understand what my decision factors were, here is what I have learned experimenting for the past few hours:

PRO
- It is intuitively easy to use, and if you know the menu system on one Canon, you will know it here as well.
- It is so small and compact, yet the controls are easy to use and they are responsive.
- The installation process (software & User's Guide) was relatively easy, and I was able to copy the PDF file to my Google Drive so I will have it while travelling (sans computer).
- The images are incredibly crisp and clear with good to excellent color rendition at the M1 (medium) resolution setting. I usually opt for the highest resolution, but I'll explain why I didn't in the CONS. I would suggest you always opt for the highest resolution you can since you can always reduce an image without losing clarity, but if you choose too low a resolution, you will experience pixellation on digital enlargement.

CONS
- The WiFi capability seems like a really nice feature, but you better not be using Windows XP if you want to WiFi the pics to your computer. You can use a USB connection however. There is a disclaimer in the documentation that the WiFi will only work with Windows 7 or 8. You can however WiFi to your smartphone (Droid or iPhone with the appropriate app from Google Playstore or Apple) and then share pics from there, or upload them to your computer via the cloud.
- The write speed to the SDHC card is uncomfortably slow if you are shooting rapidly, and using very high resolution. The difference between L and M1 is incredible. With the L resolution, you wait what appears to be an interminable time before you can shoot the next picture. It's not really that bad, but it is in the "seconds" range. If it is perceptible enough to be annoying, when testing, it will also be so when out in the field, particularly with action shots.
- It would have been nice if Canon included a memory card in the package, but I understand they are trying to keep the price competitive. I'm sure I paid less for a 16GB card than they would have charged.
- It also would have been nice if Canon had included a case. My wife's older Canon Elph came with a quality leather case. I purchased an after market CaseLogic case for much less than Canon would have charged.
- Battery life - I haven't had an opportunity to really test this yet, but I am a little worried since the User Guide states that I will only get about 200 pics per fully charged battery. Of course there are many variables that contribute to this (i.e., resolution, read/write time to card, ECO mode or not, flash usage or not.) It's almost impossible to predict exactly how well I will do here, so we'll just have to wait and see. My concern is that I am going to Scandinavia and Russia, and while I shouldn't have any difficulty charging the battery with the appropriate voltage adaptors, I will probably buy a second battery so I always have a spare charged.
(CORRECTION: You will not need a voltage adaptor. The charger clearly states 110-240 volts input. You may need physical plug adapters, although most European hotels have "American" outlets for electric shavers, etc.)
- Also note that it took almost two hours to charge the "cold" battery completely. This will probably be shorter when starting with a partially charged battery.

I have not had an opportunity yet to test the myriad of other features, such as the various shooting scenarios, lighting conditions, portrait vs scenic, close up vs panorama. I will test these and report back when I have information with meaningful metrics. If necessary, I will adjust the 5 stars at that time, but for now, I will give Canon the benefit of the doubt based upon my previous experience with the brand.

BOTTOM LINE - I would buy it again, and I am completely comfortable with my decision to not opt for a higher end model with a touch screen.

Hope this has been helpful.

============================================================================
****Update 1 - 5/18/2013

Well, the learning saga continues. It's sort of an adventure. I actually successfully set up a WiFi connection between the camera and my home network with the target device being my Motorola Razr Droid smartphone.

The basic steps are to download and install the Canon app for your smartphone and configure it with some very simple settings. Then configure the camera with the name of the target device (which you assigned in the previous step.) You then need to scan for WiFi nets from the camera and select the appropriate net, enter the key, and you are pretty much in business. You are then ready to share the pics from the phone via email, Facebook or whatever mechanism or website you choose. Play with it; it won't bite.

After a little juggling with the settings, I actually sent the pictures to the phone. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most difficult, I would give this about a 4. Time expended: about 40 minutes. Not bad. And the next time will be even easier.

My next task will be to try to set this up on an open WiFi network somewhere else. I imagine I will have to identify the phone again, and let the camera search the available networks.

I also noticed that it gave me an option to connect to another network which is probably the Canon cloud. The name of the network seemed to identify Canon, the camera model and a sequence number. I haven't tried that yet, but I probably will later.

In addition, I can use the phone as a wireless access point, so I may be able to send pics to the phone without being on a network ... essentially a point-to-point net of two devices, the phone and the camera.

I'm trying to get as much of this exploration done before my trip next month so I don't get frustrated when under pressure. So far, so good. Still five stars!

============================================================================
1010 comments| 369 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2013
The Canon PowerShot ELPH 130 is the latest Canon PowerShot I've owned, making it probably the third or fourth in about 8 years that I've been using Canon cameras. What draws me to Canon is the amazing picture quality and the ability to truly customize settings, almost as with a digital SLR, without the bulkiness or hefty price tag.

This camera is ultra compact. It's perfect for taking with you on hikes, travel, to parties, events, and for any type of photography. The new features that I'll comment on make it definitely worth the money.

First, the ability to resize images brings it in line with other makes, like Sony, that have offered that ability for years now. If you are traveling and running low on memory card capacity, then the resize capability is a lifesaver.

Second, the WiFi feature is great. It requires you to install a program on your computer or an app on your smartphone, and after initial setup, you can transfer images almost instantly from the camera to another device. This is great, as in the past I have taken both my camera and my smartphone with me on travels so that I could take professional shots (with the camera) and shots for social media (with my phone). Not anymore. Now, it's possible to snap amazing photos with this camera, come back to the hotel, and use the establishment's WiFi to transfer photos to your smartphone, then from there to Facebook, emails, etc.

Finally, the 8x optical zoom is amazing. All photos are crisp, sharp, and have excellent lighting. I couldn't ask for more.

If you're on the fence as to which camera is right for you, the Canon PowerShot ELPH 130 is the answer.
22 comments| 304 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2014
I bought this camera to use on vacations and at concerts. I wanted something that took good quality pictures and video and it was also important to me that the sound quality was good, as I wanted to be able to go back at look at concert videos between shows.

The camera has lived up to all of my expectations! For the price, you really can't ask for anything more and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. The battery life lasts all day for pictures and if I charge it up before a show I don't have to worry about it dying during concerts when I'm going back and forth from taking pictures to videos.

I'd definitely recommend this as the best point-and-shoot camera I've owned.
review image review image
on October 9, 2015
I love this little guy!
As a constant traveler I don't want to drag around an SLR and all it's accessories. So I've gone through a lot of digital cameras, dropping them, crushing them in luggage, spilling things on them: they're just too fragile and the pictures weren't that good. This ELPH replaced an expensive pocket size with bells and whistles including a touch screen. I was constantly touching the wrong setting by simply picking it up in a natural manner.
The ELPH has been great.
. it is the same pocket size as the expensive one
. not a touch screen (to me a big plus)
. controls simple and logical
. uses a readily available SD or SDH memory card
. takes pictures as close as 2 - 3"
. So far everything has been sharp and clear: I took a picture of a rack with a couple of electronics boxes. In MS Office Picture Manager, I could zoom and crop to the part number tags and be able to read the part number and serial number.
So far NO complaints, and I am a world class complainer.
on November 22, 2013
I've owned Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Olympus, and Panasonic digicams in the $100-$200 range. I know how to focus and shoot a digicam under low light conditions. Having read glowing reviews both by professionals and users, I thought the Powershot ELPH would suit my needs, once the price dropped to nearly half of msrp.

This is the only Canon I've had that focused so poorly in zoom mode, and under moderately low light conditions. I don't know if I just got a lemon. After failing that criterion, I did not even want to explore the rest. My mistake was the lure of the pricepoint. I could have gotten a more spendy Canon HS (high sensitivity) model which takes better low light pictures.I returned this for a FinePix F660EXR.

When they say the ELPH models are small, they mean it! I am female with child sized hands and fingers. The selector circle is so small, I found it easier to use a fingernail than a fingertip to activate the piece of the circle I needed to hit. I have never had to do that on any other camera. If you just put it on auto, drilling through menus should not be problematic for you.

On a right-handed gripping position, my fingers look for a rest on the camera face. The only thing to hang onto, on the front is the slightly raised metal logo with sharply defined edges. Would have preferred a rubber grip there, or a smoothly beveled logo. If I'd have kept the camera, I would have stuck a dorky silicone nosepad over it. It may be nitpicky but it detracts from the comfort of handling the camera.

Pros
- Metal construction with metal (not plastic) tripod mount
- Ultra Compact
- Large 3" screen
- Intuitive menu controls

Cons
- Impossibly small selector dial
- Poor focus in low light zoom
- Rough Canon logo
on September 1, 2013
We have had a number of Canon Elphs over the years and we have been very pleased with their performance. We bought our last one (SD1100IS) over 4 years ago. We have had this unit (Canon Elph 130 IS) for just over a month and have been very disappointed with it. The pictures are not sharp (at any zoom) and the automatic lighting adjustments tend to overexpose the pictures. We are looking to see if we can return it - the 30 days is up from Amazon but we may be able to return it as defective through our credit card. I definitely would not recommend this camera to anyone.
10/14/2013 Update - I decided to return the camera to Canon under warranty. Within 5 days of sending it back, I received a refurbished camera from Canon. This one works much better. The lighting is correct and the focus is much better - not perfect, but pretty good (perhaps I am spoiled by my Canon DSLR and L series lenses). While the one I bought was a dud, Canon was able to quickly right a wrong. I now rate the camera a 4 out of 5.
on August 22, 2015
For it's price point and for being a POS, the Canon Powershot is a good value. It takes decent pictures and fits in a pocket or purse with ease. I love it's small size, I love the plug in battery charger and I love the scenery photos it takes.
As with any low budget camera, lighting can be tricky and you definitely want to take "posed" shots as opposed to "action" shots.
It suits my purpose, which is a quick grab and go camera that will take decent pics for a decent price.
You can't go wrong with the Canon Powershot, just know what you are getting.
on April 2, 2015
This camera is very compact and light, which is what I wanted. It also has a powerful zoom (for a tiny camera) that has allowed me to take some nice photos of birds, lizards, bugs and other smaller wildlife. I find the photos to be very high quality for a little camera. So I am very pleased with its size, weight and quality. It was also a great value. My only complaint is that you have to install software on your computer to be able to import the photos, and I have not been able to successfully do that yet on my Mac. Very frustrating. So, what I do instead is take the memory card out of my Canon, put it into my old Lumix and transfer the photos through that old camera onto my computer. I'm not tech savvy, but I'm no idiot either. Perhaps I'm missing something.... (helpful suggestions welcome).
on December 18, 2015
There's no viewfinder so you always "shoot from the hip" and the video output mode is in mov (quick time) files. I have been unable to find video editing software that uses that format without another program to convert it back to avi mode. I can't find the Canon software that would allow automatic download of picture files to my computer as my older Canon cameras use. It is probably still the best camera for quick wildlife photography, but it could be a bit larger and faster to operate.
review image
on August 18, 2015
I am a fan of the ELPH line. This is the third I have owned. Very good picture quality in a very compact device. Has the wifi link to upload photos. On a trip, I'll upload to my iphone and text or post to facebook. At home, I'll remove the SD card and insert into my PC. The advantage over cellphone pictures is that the resolution is much better for editing and printing. Especially in lower light settings where cellphone optics and flash cannot compare.
Recommend using the included wrist strap at all times. Unlike earlier models, this one has rounded edges and a slick surface and is slipperier than a bar of soap.