Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Dot Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 23, 2007
I have bought and returned 3 PowerShot G9 cameras because of stuck pixels.

I really like the features and size of the G9, but I cannot accept it if has stuck pixels.

The first G9 I bought had two stuck pixels in every shot I took: One bright red one near the center and one faint green one about 3/4ths to the right. The stuck pixels were present in the image files. This was a major defect.

The second G9 I bought had a bright blue stuck pixel on the LCD screen whenever the shot was previewed through the LCD viewfinder, but no stuck pixels in review mode (when the LCD was viewing pictures but not taking them), and no stuck pixels on uploaded pictures. This one was strange -- a distracting blue dot on your LCD viewfinder which isn't a permanent LCD display defect but always appears in camera mode. I suspect a software bug or something with the lenses/mirrors which only affects the LCD viewfinder.

The third G9 I bought had a faint green pixel stuck on the LCD. I have not fully tested the extent of this stuck pixel (LCD, CCD, etc.) yet, because I will be returning the G9.

I bought these three G9s from different venues (stores), and all had these problems. But since they were all right after the G9 was first released, it's possible they all came from the same bad manufacturing lot.

Great camera, great features, great size, so long as you don't get stuck pixels.

I've reluctantly switched to a S5 IS. I'd rather have 8 megapixels which work, than 12 megapixels which are a crap-shoot.

More megapixels is not always better, and Canon seems to have spread the pixels too far in the G9.

Caveat emptor.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
1111 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2013
The only thing I could have wished for -- was for it to be a little smaller. Nice camera, however
on April 15, 2011
I have to say that im happy with my new camera, I was please for the short time on delivery the only thing i will suggest is to do a good clean of the cameras and erase the memory card so no one get SURPRISED.
on April 16, 2008
Really love this camera. Great pictures and has a major advantage that I didn't initially realize - much smaller than an SLR (and many competitive non-SLR cameras). So if one day you want to step up to an SLR, you can still use this to take those pictures where you don't want to drag the SLR. Best camera out there outside of SLRs. I strongly recommend buying from Amazon even if it is a few $$ more. They stand behind their products and don't have any hidden agendas.
on January 7, 2008
I'm very satisfied with this new Canon G9 ..... awesome LCD....awesome video and pictures. Received it quickly before Christmas from Amazon... I was amazed, thought it would be delayed since I ordered it only a few days before the holidays. Keep it up Amazon :)
on October 17, 2007
I am very pleased with this camera. I upgraded from a Canon S200 series that I have had for five years. It was only 2 MP. I have been looking at the newer canons for a while and I liked the bigger screens that were coming on the compact camera but the cameras overall were getting too small for me. I wanted something that would fit in my pocket if I needed it to but offered the features and clarity of the larger cameras.

It does have some weight when compared to the compacts but my (much) older one weighs in about the same. I am not going to use every feature that is on this camera so please read the other reviews for their technical opinions. I do like all the scenes that you can easily choose from. The action is best for action, kids and pets is best for close-up of my kids, snow is good for indoor pictures where there is a lot of glare, etc. I think canon did a good job with the selection and I find the controls very easy to manage.

I am very pleased with this purchase and the price. The shipping was also very quick.
on November 15, 2007
Although we currently use a G11, we appreciate the wonderful features of the G9. The only challenge for some us with Canon's G-series is the bulkiness of the unit; in other words, it is not a pocket camera. However, the G9 takes excellent photos.
on December 23, 2007
This product is great. It is slightly complicated to figure out, so plan to take some time reading the book and re-reading the book, but once you got it, you will love it! I'm really happy with this purchase
on April 15, 2008
I have several canon cameras, 1Ds, 1D, 30D and several L lens and other very highly rated lens. The G-9 does not compare to them but the images are sharp and the functions are great, try the ND filter on moving water you will love it. I shoot raw only and can not believe that any one would say the images are not sharp. The video is also excellent, especially for youtube.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on October 28, 2007
Canon PowerShot G9 12.1MP Digital Camera with 6x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom

Really having a good time into week four with my fifth digital camera in five years - the Canon G9. I would say it was, in total, a bit pricey, camera, tele lens, adapters, bag, extra batt. But after fudging around the fall scenes of these here eastern states, taking pictures inside with lamplight of the preggers wifey, I'd have to say it's worth it.

Small con, the manual focus is a bit of a twist to learn.

But, easily the toughest camera I've ever owned. Fast start up, quick focus, good movies, excellent low light. But, buy that small flash for the hot shoe. makes parties and what-not a real blast.
review image