Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon PowerShot S100 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Silver)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on September 9, 2013
I used my camera for the first time on my Caribbean Cruise. It took great pictures and video. It was very easy to set up the program to view and download my pictures to my computer. I love the size also. It fit easily in my pocketbook for quick access. I would definitely recommend it to family and friends.
on March 11, 2013
Purchased this as a gift to replace an older non-S canon camera. Not quite as slim as the older Canon that it replaced but still slim enough to be pocketable. Picture quality is far superior and achieves the low light quality that the gift receiver was looking for. Battery life is not terribly great but that is to be expected especially with the large display screen. A second battery is highly recommended. However, I noticed that Canon did change the battery on this camera, so using batteries from previous models might not be an option (i.e. I personally own the original S90 and the battery from that model is different).
on December 16, 2014
I bought this camera in December 2011, and the photos were very good when it worked. The lens mechanism failed in June 2013 after just 18 months of careful use. Canon repaired it under warranty. It failed again in November 2014 with the same problem, after another 17 months of use. This time Canon wanted $174 to fix it - almost half the original price. Only three years of service with two major lens failures that have been documented by many other owners is unacceptable for a camera that cost $400. To be sure, its replacement will be made by a manufacturer other than Canon.
on November 28, 2012
I bought mine from Best buy and was sent to Philippines as a gift. After few months of using the lens error appears and I ask them to mail it back to me. I then brought it back to best buy and they gladly accept it for free repair (under the 1 year warranty). After a couple of weeks I got a call from Best Buy that Canon is unable to repair it but they will just refund me.

Other than that the camera captures really nice low light pictures. It could have been a great camera.

If you like to travel a lot and sometimes go the places with humid temperatures it is better to get the right piece of equipment.
on December 18, 2013
Great pictures, lets you get a bit more (technical) on your shots, There are some inherent flaws in the shutter/lens design that after a few years have finally failed and I have sent it to an independent depot for a fix/tune-up
on June 12, 2013
So, long story, my beloved s95 ended up in the washing machine. Don't ask.

I looked around for another s95 -- they now cost *more* than they did when they came out, presumably because the demand is still high enough to warrant it. Not surprising really... it's still one of the few remaining cameras at it's price point that will shoot RAW and provides manual controls.

What to do? I read the reviews of the s100 and 110.

I needed/wanted a fairly basic camera that would produce nice shots and give me manual controls when I wanted them. I didn't need the GPS (people really use that?) or a touch screen. Based on the comparison reviews here on Amazon, I took a chance on the s100.

I've had a very favorable experience so far.

It does everything my s95 did, I leave the GPS switched off so the battery lasts 300+ shots, and the ergonomics are a slight improvement. The changes to the buttons a few reviews mentioned were incidental to me. Easy to grok, easy to work with. The sensor is producing nice clear shots and the improvement in pixels has improved the quality of the macro shots I enjoy. I'm not keen on the quality of the flash images (still learning to improve that) but the low light shots are pretty good.

I would say that, after a month of daily use, I'm glad I made this decision. Based on my experience so far, I would say that the reviews which gave the s100 a slight edge of the s95 were accurate.
on January 7, 2013
It's nice and compact, it has a wide-angle zoom reaching out to mild tele, the lens is reasonably fast, it can record in raw and it is now quite reasonably priced. I wish it had a viewfinder like one of its predecessors had (S70?). While it was far from a great viewfinder, at least it allowed you to point the camera in bright sunlight. The screen on the S100 is not useable in bright sun.
on March 3, 2015
I enjoyed the speed, size and quality of images for the first several months of owning the S100. I knew about the "lens error" and recall so I was not worried since I could get it repaired. I was not aware of a shutter problem, until I researched why my shutter stopped working about a year into ownership. Found several forums loaded up with hundreds of S100 owners and shutter issues.. Contacted Canon, and they claimed that they did not know of this issue. No recall or free fix, they wanted $175 to fix it a camera I paid $200 for.

Found a petition on ipetition. com, reported my issue to BBB, contacted my state attorney and Voila! - 3 weeks later Canon called ME with directions on where to send my camera for a free repair.

Will not be purchasing a Canon in the future.
on December 28, 2012
I bought this to take along on a vacation and I'm glad I did. I didn't want to tote an SLR along and this camera did a stellar job. I stuffed it in my pocket when I left the hotel in the morning and went on beach walks, hikes, toured cathedrals and museums, and went to restaurants and it handled it all. The F2.0 lens allowed me to take photos in cathedrals in natural light where flashes weren't allowed and in darkly lit restaurants. Outside, daytime photos were beautiful. Put it on a tripod or flat surface and use the self-timer to get in the picture. I took a few movies too just for fun, but a dedicated vidcam would be a better choice for that.
I also got this and it worked well for me:
Case Logic TBC-302 FFP Compact Camera Case (Black)
on August 11, 2012
Somehow writing a review this soon after purchasing this camera seems wrong. So far, I like the camera a lot! It does exactly what they said it'll do. I met with a professional photographer to learn how to take advantage of all the manual control this camera offers. I like taking good quality pictures and like to put together the photo books offered online from our trips. This camera offers a lot of manual control for small point and shoot size camera which makes it great for travel, So far it's perfect!

Updated... The camera is now 8 months old and I've taken it on a 3 week vacation to Southeast Asia. Not that location makes much difference, but I was a bit concerned about battery life. I had purchased an extra battery so I was always carrying around an extra. It all worked perfectly! The camera performed as promised.