Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 196 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 237 reviews
on October 2, 2013
Just got this camera and have less than 100 pictures through it and although every year I buy one of these and end up returning it, it looks like this "S" might be a keeper finally.

Like most of its predecessors it's built very well, feels good in the hand, and most of the buttons have good feedback. It has gotten a little more rounded over the years but I like it, square camera with smooth edges that don't annoy me in the pocket.

Out of the pocket this camera is probably adjustability-overkill for most people that haven't dared of taking their camera out of AUTO mode. Whether you like shooting in AUTO or you do choose to leave AUTO behind, the S120 rewards you with a very fast interface, fast response (focus/shutter), and the ability to view and share your images across other devices quickly.

I am a Canon guy. That should not be missed here because I am a little biased, but I have an iphone(5) for my day to day camera. My weekend camera is a Canon 6D and a bag of L lenses. I bought the S120 to bridge the gap between the two. I am not a professional, but sometimes I want professional pics without using my phone or lugging a big DSLR kit around with me - enter the S120.

With the S120 Canon FINALLY offers a simple camera that seems to do everything I want well. What do I want?

- Ability to capture amazing pictures without carrying 20# of lenses with me.
- Ability to hand my wife/kids a camera that they can use too.
- Fast power up, fast focus, fast capture.
- Great video if the situation calls for it, on the fly, no delay.
- EASY way to transfer pictures to my phone (for when I do want to send them elsewhere).
- Canon menus, because they make sense to me.

It does all of these in my opinion, quite well.
If you are looking for a camera that outshines just about anything else on the shelf under 700$ and can avoid bulking your pants pocket - this is the one.

Whats in the box:

- Canon S120 camera.
- Canon (NB6-LH) battery.
- Canon wall charger (CB-2LY).
- Canon wrist cord.
- Registration documents.
- Warranty info.

A couple other things I wanted to mention...

WiFi -- It's actually useful now! This model features a new wifi setup for transferring pictures to your smartphone. I have had this on (2) other units (S110 and EOS 6D) and never use it because it's a pain. With this model I just go into "play" mode on the camera, press the wifi button (up on the D pad) , it immediately asks what I want to connect to, I select "smartphone" and it says start the phone application and point it to this hotspot. Once I do that, I am on the phone browsing pictures. Scrolling through images (large JPEG) on the camera is pretty quick, downloading is pretty quick, disconnecting and getting back to shooting is just as quick. Now you can literally turn wifi on, send a specific image over to your phone, turn wifi off, in the matter of a couple seconds and a few button clicks.
I won't go into what the old way was, because if I could remember it I would actually use it!

RX100 vs S120 -- Just before the S120 was announced I finally broke down and bought an RX100 (new). Not the M2 model but the original, for 600$. I loved the pictures it took, they were amazing amazing images.

Compared to the S120 (in circumstances so far) they are possibly a little better comparing auto mode to auto mode. What I like about the Canon vs the Sony is the Canon seems to capture more how I see things as opposed to the Sony which wanted to make everything look like a carnival if left untouched (it liked to make all the colors exotically vibrant from my perspective). If this were just about images there would have been some tough decisions to make and hairs to split over this.

The size and weight of RX100 to S120 it's no contest:S120. I can put the S120 in a pair of khaki's and go sit in meetings or walk around all day with no worries. The RX100 just felt too darn heavy, and it's larger lens tube sticking out from the front was annoying getting in and out of pockets. The S120 is still a true pocket-friendly camera is what I am getting at.

Build quality-wise both feel like finely crafted machines. The S120 will remind you of other point and shoot cameras and its finish is something I would feel ok with putting in a bag with no case. The RX100 felt like some sort of surgical tool, I mean in a good way - but I felt like putting down on a desk would damage the desk or possibly the finish on the camera. Another strange thing is the S120 feels good in the hand and has some heft but nothing bad. The RX100 felt a little heftier but in a way that I felt if I dropped it, it's life was over - it was just waiting for an opportunity to spill its guts. I would expect the S120 to take a small hit or some tumbling without ending it.

Cost - Although money can be irrelevant to most photographic geeks when it comes to "getting the shot" , I didn't understand why the Sony was hundreds more. The "why" of this is in other parts of the review here so I won't get into it more. I will just say I had a $1,000 budget for my perfect point and shoot, and now I have 550$ to go spend on something else.

Software - I left this for last because I suspect this is where Canon bias comes in. It is also something I suspect is different in the newer model Rx-100(M2) so may not be as relevant. The S120 UI is quick and also very efficient. The RX-100 by comparison was a little slow, and (at least for me) I never felt like I could quickly get to the settings I wanted to without forcing some customization. Neither is over-glitzy or annoying to use, but the Sony one just felt like it was fighting me sometimes when I would change something and then have to re-find it.

I hope you enjoyed this review and I will update it as relevantly as is feasible.
If there is more you'd like to see added or something I missed please comment and let me know, and thanks for reading this!
-Chris
5150+ comments| 767 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2013
The S120 is a fantastic pocket camera to use when you don't want to carry around your DSLR. For the last couple years the camera I use is a Canon DSLR. Even though I have 2 older ELPH's, I always have used my DSLR until now. The Canon S120 is pretty amazing for a pocket sized camera and works perfect as the camera to grab when you don't want to carry the big DSLR. There are definitely some advantages and disadvantages worth pointing out.

I've been using the S120 for 1 week now. From power up to 1st shot takes barely 1 second. Shutter lag is slightly longer than my DSLR (T3i), but hardly noticeable and completely acceptable. I really like the amazing resolution on the LCD. It almost makes up for not having a viewfinder since I can really see the focus on my shots, but the downside of course is that framing is so much harder without a viewfinder, but that's the tradeoff of a point and shoot. The pictures look fantastic to me. Low light shooting is pretty good with the lens at its shortest focal length and f1.8. Zoomed shots in low light are pretty dark even with high ISO and should be steadied with a tripod or support. Shots in good light are quick to focus and sharp when hand-held. The built in flash absolutely stinks compared to speedlites, but such is the way with tiny built-in's. I wish Canon would give you off-camera wireless like they do on their new DSLR's.

I don't have the STM lens capability, so this not may be true to everyone, but I enjoy using the S120's video shooting much more than my DSLR despite the sensor size advantage due to contrast detection's focus advantage while shooting. The focus and optical zoom is sharp and silent while shooting. The 60p frame rate makes shots look a little artificially smooth, but things look very realistic too.

The menu system is good and familiar to me as a Canon user. I've tried out some of the filters and effects, and they work pretty well and are neat to use. Bracketing and HDR options are great and very quick, as is the background blur mode thanks to the very fast shooting speeds. Speaking of which, if you set a continuous shooting shutter, the speeds are as fast as advertised. I'm using an older Class 10 SD card, made by Lexar, that isn't fast enough for my DSLR's video capture, but works great for all shooting modes on the S120. So I'll say you definitely don't need as fast of a card in this camera as you do in your DSLR.

Wi-Fi setup allows access to Canon's Image Gateway, the smart phone app (Canon Camera Window), and ability to transfer files directly through a Wi-Fi access point. Initial setup take a little time, but once set, it's easy to use the Wi-Fi modes. Battery life is a little short. Granted I spent a lot of time playing around with settings and not shooting, but I could easily burn through a battery in an afternoon. I'd rather have a compact camera with a small battery though, so it's a fair tradeoff. The size of the camera can't be beat for this level of camera. There's quite a bit of mass to the solid construction, but it could stay in my pocket all day.

I'm very impressed with the S120. The initial price is pretty high and I debated just getting the S110 and saving $100, but in the end I decided that this was going to replace the use of my DSLR in a lot of circumstances, so worth paying a little extra. The S120's compact size, 1/1.7" sensor, f1.8 lens, fast shooting speeds, and features focused on DSLR users (like RAW and the selector ring) really won me over.
11 comment| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2014
I've had the Canon S90 for the last five years and it truly served me well. I was in the market for a new portable camera with RAW and after comparing the Sony RX100 to the Canon S120, I decided to go with the S120. I was hesitant to go with the S120 because it looked exactly like the S90 and I wanted something different but I've discovered that the S120 is a completely different beast!

Here are the things that have made this upgrade a worthy investment:
1. High Resolution screen: The S120 has a 922,000 dot 3 inch LCD screen, almost double the S90's. Colors are richer and details are sharper!
2. Built-In Wifi: I like to share lots of photos and photo collages on facebook and instagram. The S120 allows me to import high-resolution photos into my iPhone with ease. My instagram uploads never looked better (no more grainy iPhone selfies)! I had to snoop around to figure things out as the instruction manual and online blogs offered nothing. If you want simple instructions, I've provided them below.
3. Faster overall usage: The shutter speed is fast and the camera's burst feature is awesome (9.4 fps).
4. HDR mode: The HDR mode is very useful for scenic, high contrast scenes when you want all the details and shadow areas to come forth!
5. Wide Angle: The focal length is 5.2–26.0mm (or 35mm film equivalent: 24–120mm). This is slightly wider than the S90 and the Sony RX100. It may not seem like much but it makes a big difference when shooting various scenes.
6. Versatile: I've clumsily dropped the camera twice already (once on asphalt and once in a restaurant) and despite some cosmetic scruffs, the camera works great.

Downsides: The battery life on the S120 is definitely shorter than the S90. Be sure to buy a couple of generic batteries for the S90/S120 and carry them with you.

How to Import Photos into Your Smartphone
Do not use Canon ImageGateway, you will waste your time with a registration system that doesn't even work (as of April 2014).

1. To start importing photos into your smartphone, you've first got to set it up. Do this at home on your wireless network. Connect your smartphone to your wireless network. Connect your camera to your wireless network. Take a few photos, go into playback mode on your S120, press up on the spin dial, select "Add a Device," and then follow the prompts to add your smartphone onto your S120.

2. Go to the Apple AppStore and download an app called "Canon CW."

3. Once your smartphone is setup and recognized by your S120 camera, you have two options to import photos. The first option (at home on your wireless network): Go to playback mode on your S120, press up on the spin dial, select the smartphone icon, and the camera will begin searching for the smartphone on your wireless network. Turn your smartphone on (make sure it's connected to your wireless network) and open the "Canon CW" app (your camera will say "Start dedicated app on target device"). The app should recognize your camera and allow you to preview the photos. Select only the photos you want to import. If the app doesn't recognize the camera, try quitting the app and open it up again.

The second option (on the road with no wireless network): Go to playback mode on your S120, press up on the spin dial, select the smartphone icon, and the camera will create a wireless access point. Turn your smartphone on, go to your network settings, and then select the access point that your camera has created. Then open up the "Canon CW" app and it's the same as above.

I hope this helps someone. I spent hours before I figured this out on my own.
on November 15, 2013
I bought this camera for a trip to Seoul, and wanted something more powerful than my cell phone camera or a normal point and shoot. This camera performed admirably for every scene I could throw at it, including low light shots. I am not a professional photographer or reviewer, so I will leave you to Google for good reviews, which there are a few. I will only comment from the point of view of a normal user.

Image quality is, as stated above, excellent. I took some beautiful images with this, which my friends remarked were near professional quality.

Build quality seems extremely good. Its a solid little camera with very little plastic used. Its just about the perfect weight, and the size is perfect. Small enough to comfortably fit in your pocket, without being too small to be comfortable in use.

The LCD screen is beautiful. And if you need a better view, you can connect it to your tablet or smartphone via the WiFi connection, which worked very well. The Canon CW app for iOS 7 worked very well and never let me down. It even allows to attach location data from your smartphones GPS.

The only drawbacks: NO PANORAMA MODE. Don't look for it. Its not there. Big shame, I could certainly have used it to great effect where I was. I had to fall back to my iPhone 5 for that function. Also the battery life is mediocre. Plan to get spare battery to keep around if you are gonna see heavy use. I nearly ran out of juice one day, and you can't charge it via USB while its in the camera, this would at least have let me juice it back up with my travel charger.

I am keeping this a five star review because the pros outweigh the cons heavily, but this is more of a four-and-a-half star product.
on October 10, 2013
I chose the Canon S120 because I wanted a true pocket camera that takes great pictures and videos. The review sites cover the S120 pretty well, so I'll focus more on why I chose it, how I use it, and how I like it. And since a memory card isn't included, I also ordered a 32 GB (80 MB/s) SanDisk Extreme SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 memory card for storage. This card easily handles continuous shooting and the supported HD video modes.

My previous digital cameras have also been Canon point and shoots (mostly ELPHs). I've gotten used to putting them in my pocket to take with me on trips and to special events. However, smartphone cameras have improved to the point where I started leaving my aging ELPH at home. But even the best phones have notable limitations, and there are times when I want much better pictures than what my smartphone is capable of taking.

I still wanted the convenience of carrying a pocket camera, so I wasn't interested in a bulky camera body and kit lens, or even a compact that doesn't fit in my pocket. So I narrowed it down to the Canon S120 and the Sony RX100. The Sony's 1" sensor was intriguing; however, this Canon's 1/1.7" sensor is still substantially larger than anything that I've used before. Plus, the S120's image quality typically gets pretty good reviews.

I decided that either the Sony or Canon would give me acceptable pictures, and it wasn't necessarily about which one takes the "best" photos. The price was important, but the size was the deciding factor. I looked at a Sony at our local Best Buy; and the (arguably minor) additional thickness made it too big to carry in my front pocket. Sure I could put it in a case; but if wanted to do that, I'd add the Fujifilm X20,Canon G16,Panasonic LX7, and Olympus XZ-2 to my list.

I also take pictures of marine reef aquariums, so I appreciate the S120's manual controls which allow me to adjust the white balance, aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. Plus, the option to shoot in RAW format is real bonus for this type of photography. Reef tank lighting and moving fish can be a challenge for typical point and shoot cameras; however, I'm impressed with how well this camera handles these shooting conditions.

Its 922,000 pixel, 3" touchscreen is sharp, allowing for accurate manual focus adjustments. In addition, the S120 supports either manual focus magnification or peaking (which highlights the edges of objects that are in focus). This is helpful for extreme close ups. However, the autofocus is quick and you can use the touchscreen to select your subject. The camera will even continue to focus on that subject as it moves, or while you frame the shot.

Previously, I had been using a Canon ELPH for travel, a Canon A-series (w/ some manual controls) for taking pictures of marine reef tanks, and a Cisco Flip for occasional videos. The Canon S120 replaces and improves on all three of these cameras. I sure won't miss juggling both the Flip and the ELPH around on vacations. Plus, the S120 is small enough to comfortably carry in the front pocket of a pair of loose fitting jeans.

The pictures that I've taken have been good, even in lower light without a flash. I'm glad the flash doesn't pop up whenever the camera detects low light. I typically just zoom out to 24mm (f/1.8) to get the shot; however, you can easily activate the flash when needed. It has 3 different intensity settings, and does a good job preventing red eye (without using those annoying strobe flashes). Now I can finally take decent indoor and evening pictures.

Even so, I wish the sensor was a little larger and/or the lens was a little brighter (especially at telephoto). Understandably, when shooting in low light without a flash, the photos can be slightly grainy or blurry. However, the processor handles high ISO well, and holding the camera against a solid surface can help reduce blur from camera shake during longer exposures. For me, this is an acceptable trade off for having such a pocketable camera.

Some people use the Canon S120 when they don't want to carry a DSLR; but I use it when I want to take much better pictures and videos than what my phone can take. Now, instead of leaving my camera at home, I bring it along with me (in my pocket). It's a much better camera than my older ELPHs, but I basically use it the same way. Previous Canon point and shoot users (of any series) should be comfortable shooting quality pictures and videos with this camera.

I'm pleased with this purchase, and consider it to be a good overall value. While not perfect, the S120 is the best camera that I've owned. It's not quite as small as an ELPH, but it's still small enough to carry in a pocket. And while I frequently use the Auto mode, its manual controls are invaluable whenever I need them (or if I just want to get more artistic). Finally, the ability to take quality 1080p/60p movies (in MP4 format) is the icing on the cake.
44 comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2015
Key Point:
A photo is made better more so by being a better photographer than getting a better camera. That being said, I’ve gotten some pictures I really like from this camera (I will upload some here eventually), but after using it for almost a couple months, I have come to notice some limitations that are typical of point and shoot cameras.

Camera Design:
I like that this remains a pocket camera. It fits in my pocket and doesn’t weigh it down too much (I think my keys actually weigh a bit more). There is no need for a case and the lens gets covered automatically when you power down the camera. I like the clicky control ring on the front (that can be customized with pretty much any functionality) and I tend to use it to step zoom to standard focal lengths like 35mm, 50mm, etc. This is really useful!

I rarely use flash, so the manual pop up flash isn’t a big deal to me. The on off button works fine and I like that the camera really does turn on and off quick (much quicker than the RX100 III). I have a habit of turning off my camera when I walk around and not using it. This saves the battery and I was able to take 373 shots on a single charge.

The zoom lever works fine, as does the shutter release. The control dial to select your mode functions fine. The buttons and dial on the back of the camera do their job, I have no issues.

The touch screen is a nice to have feature. I use it most to select my focus point, and tend to stick to physical controls for everything else.

Camera Usage:
I do like that while this is a point and shoot camera it does have typical DSLR features like aperture and shutter priority mode, even though sometimes you have to dig into a menu to find them. I typically take RAW + JPG pictures in aperture priority mode and this works for most situations. I like going to f/1.8 to create a shallow depth of field. I have noticed though that the smallest aperture available is f/8, whereas f/22 is standard on most DSLR lenses. Depending on what you are doing this can be an issue, if either you have a wider depth of field or are trying for a longer exposure in bright light. I also have taken a few pictures with shutter priority mode, mainly for long exposures of water. This works and the built in neutral density filter is nice to reduce the incoming light, although the 2 stops it provides won’t make much of a difference in bright light.

The one other picture mode I have played with is HDR mode. As other reviewers have mentioned the “natural” HDR merge mode does not work. You have to at least use “art standard” I think it’s called to get a proper increase in dynamic range. This causes the camera to play with the colors, which you may or may not like. Also important to keep in mind is that this creates JPG only photos, no RAWs. If you want RAWs, you can however do +/-2 bracketing and then HDR merge them in post production software like Lightroom 6.

I have also used the video mode, and am impressed by the small file size for the best quality video. The one drawback that I have noticed is that it really does sap battery life to take video, something other reviewers have mentioned.

Image Quality:
Overall, I have been quite satisfied with the image quality of this camera. The in camera processing that this camera does for JPGs is very nice and useable. From my own test shots, images up to ISO 3,200 are acceptable quality. When in focus, the images can be sharp. Furthermore, I recently downloaded Lightroom 6 (trial) and have been using it to process RAW images. With my limited ability I have been able to take some images that made great JPGs and turn them into phenomenal RAW images. I have also been able to make edits to RAWs to make the images acceptable that I would have otherwise discarded as JPGs out of the camera. Doing this really makes me feel good. That’s not to say RAW editing will make bad pictures good, but rather it gives you the leeway to tweak the image to your own personal preference (white balance, exposure, etc.) and really make it your own. I like doing this and will be doing more RAW images in the future I think. One thing to note is that I would avoid free RAW software as they typically don’t support point and shoot cameras for lens correction and your images will end up distorted. Sometimes they don’t even support the specific RAW format. I have tried a bunch like Raw Therapee and even Canon’s own Digital Photo Professional, but I have been far more satisfied with the Lightroom trial so far. It’s a true case of you get what you pay for, and Lightroom is much more accessible price wise than it has been in the past ($10 / month subscription model available).

Limitations:
One major limitation of this camera (and all small sensor size cameras) is that you have very limited control to create shallow depth of field (that nice blurry background effect). This is because when comparing to the standard 35 MM sensor size cameras, small sensors cameras have much shorter real focal lengths (one of 3 factors in creating depth of field). You can do a web search to find details on this, but in short, you can typically only get a shallow depth of field with this camera if you are very close to the subject and are using a decently wide aperture, say f/4.0 and larger. Now I know this camera has a portrait mode to “simulate” a shallow depth of field, but for me it doesn’t substitute for the real thing. There are other drawbacks to a small sensor size, but depth of field is most noticeable to me.

Another limitation that I have touched on briefly before is that access to some settings like metering mode, ISO, continuous shooting, etc. are tucked away in menus and it can make them difficult to change quickly based on shooting conditions. This is typical of many point and shoot cameras so I deal with it, but makes me want a DSLR. =D

Conclusion:
There are tradeoffs between a point and shoot and DSLR camera. Therefore I rate this camera 5/5 for what it is and how it does against its peers, rather than against a DSLR. However, as I am growing to like photography more and more I am starting to think I could appreciate a DSLR. The choice is yours!
review image review image
on April 17, 2015
I bought this camera as a keep close all the time camera. I have taken about 200 photos with it and some video. The camera works great for stills and video, although battery life suffers in video mode. The manual modes work great and it has very good low light capabilities for what it is. I played with the "Star Enhance" I think thats what its called and it seems to work well adding some neat effects to night shots. I was able to get it to connect to my phone one time but I have not been able to get it to connect again. Canon has a new app that I have not been able to get it to connect at all. The only reason I was interested in the wifi was to use the phone gps for locations on the photos, and I did not mess with it much, now that I am back home I may play with the wifi some more.
Bottom line, if your looking for a compact camera that will fit in your pocket and not cost a fortune like the Sony, The Canon S120 is the camera to get.
review image review image
on January 5, 2014
I'll write a longer review later, but I wanted to share my first impressions of the new Canon Powershot S120 after some initial use.

This camera rocks. Many DEFINITE improvements over my previous Canon S95 from 2 years ago. Speed to turn on, speed to focus, speed to snap a photo, speed to recover and snap the next photo, etc. are AMAZING. Right out of the box these are the fundamental features that are most important and noticeable in my opinion, and they are substantially better than previous models. Finally, you can shoot a photo and IMMEDIATELY shoot the next photo. Of course it doesn't hurt that the SD cards are faster now as well. No point fooling around with cheap SD cards. I bought a SanDisk Extreme PRO 32 Gb (95 MB/s up and down) SD card, so I'm sure this helps.

I notice the lens in this camera allows it to take non-flash photos in much darker conditions, so the flash does NOT automatically pop up all the time like the old one used to. The HD video is great, and the focus adjusts appropriately as you zoom in and out. Haven't tried the WiFi file transfers yet, but this feature should be slick.

NOW for the only downside I've noticed so far. BATTERY LIFE IS ABYSMAL. I haven't properly benchmarked it yet, but off the top of my head after only 40 or 50 photos (at most) the first charge was done. I couldn't believe it when I looked at the battery indicator after 20 photos and maybe a 30 second video and it was already showing 50%. That's something like 1/4 of the power I had available on the old S95. WOW.
I am a longtime user of the PowerShot S100, but my wife decided to expropriate my S100, so here I am with the S120. I will begin with the end -- I believe that the S120 is possibly the very best choice for a true pocket camera.

The first thing that the user will notice about the S120 is the fit and finish. This camera is built very nicely and with reasonable sturdiness. Ergonomically it is very good. Most users can be taking pictures within 60 seconds of taking the camera out of the box. Of course, studying the manual and the built-in menus reveals a host of sophisticated features beyond the taking of simple snapshots.

One thing that Canon did with the S120 that is different than my old excellent S100 was to put a switch on the side of the camera to raise the flash. If this switch is disabled, the camera will not select flash no matter what. I actually preferred the S100 system where the user selected the flash setting in the menu and then the camera used the flash based upon that settings and the composition of the shot. I'll grant that the S120 system gives the user even more control, which I suppose was the idea. But it is one more setting to have to remember.

The S120 seems to be a solid improvement over the S100 in most respects. The main thing that I like about both of these cameras, the S120 in particular, is that it pretty much lets you shoot the way that you want to. I mainly shoot in Program mode with this camera, but the camera also offers an AUTO mode, which sets absolutely everything, as well as a manual, aperture-priority, and speed priority setting. These options are quite impressive for a camera of this class, and yes I do sometimes use them, especially the speed-priority setting. The camera has various other special settings for various types of shooting and for shooting to achieve various effects.

The lens on this camera is very good for a camera of this class. It is the equivalent of a 24-120mm lens on a 35mm camera. The lens is relatively fast, meaning that when shooting in non-zoom situations, i.e. portraits, the lens is an F/1.8 lens, which is able to shoot, for example, portrait type shots without flash under some lighting conditions. (Many lenses require flash for pretty much any indoor scenario in order to achieve a quality photograph.) Canon reports that this is an F/1.8-F/5.7 lens -- which means that as you zoom the lens it will require more light. Nonetheless, these are impressive specifications for a lens of this class. In practice I find that this camera takes very good pictures and it is ideal for vacations, industrial and business uses, and all situations where you do not want to have to carry a full Single Lens Reflex camera.

This camera features a generous 3.0 inch capacitive touch LCD on the back, and this is the nerve center of the camera. You will use this LCD to compose shots, review the shots, and set most menu settings. Like all modern cameras, this camera is controlled by menus that you access via the LCD screen. Mostly the menus are intuitive and most users will quickly become familiar with them, especially users who have used other electronic cameras in the past.

Years ago most cameras of this class had an optical focusing window, but no more. The user must compose shots using the rear LCD. This LCD is superior to many and as good as any LCDs on the market for this purpose, but I prefer an optical focusing window. Alas, pretty much all camera manufacturers have decided that composing via the LCD is the way to go. Mostly this works fine, and indoor this works superbly, but there are times out in bright sun venues when this becomes tricky.

On minor nit -- As with the S100 and S110, Canon relentlessly refuses to put a protective lip or bezel around the edge of the LCD, so if you set the camera down on the LCD you stand a good chance of scratching it. This can be largely solved by buying one of the after-market screen protectors.

One of the really nice advances on the S120 is that you can move the focusing square to anywhere in the composition shot simply by placing your finger on the capacitance LCD. In the field this makes for very fast composition, and I like this feature a lot.

WI FI CONNECTION! The S120 connects easily to your iPhone by use of the Canon Window App, which is available in the App Store. It will also connect to your computer. SINCE THE CANON INSTRUCTIONS TO DO THIS FOR A WINDOWS COMPUTER ARE WRONG, HERE IS HOW TO DO IT. First follow the Canon directions to connect the S120 to your network. Then, for a Windows computer, follow the Canon directions and begin trying to connect to your computer. (Here is the step Canon omitted) THEN, go into Control Panel/Devices and Printers and select "Add a Device". Your Canon S-120 will show as a new device. As soon as you add it you will be able to see the folders on your S-120's SD card. I hope this helps someone; it took me a long time to figure this out. By the way, ensure that if you have two networks from your router, i.e. a 2.4Ghz and a 5.0 Ghz, your computer needs to be on the 2.4 Ghz network. Once you set your S-120 to be connected to your Windows computer as I just explained, it connects very very easily. Works like a dream.

At the end of the day the purpose of this, or any, camera is to take great photographs. You can do that with the S120. It has a very good lens for this class of camera and it will produce excellent images under most conditions. No, this camera is not the best choice for shooting indoor sports, for example -- the combination of low light and high speed subjects really necessitates a full Single Lens Reflex camera with a high-dollar lens. Similarly, an SLR will do a better job on fast-moving wildlife. But for portraits, landscape shots, and many other shots that people typically take on vacations or with family and whatnot, this camera will deliver excellent images and is a great choice. RJB.
on August 23, 2015
This is the 7th or 8th Canon camera I have purchased and the best so far. I was somewhat hesistant to buy it because I like a larger zoom, but the quality of the photos is excellent-very sharp, excellent and accurate color saturation and very little noise. The construction quality seems sturdy and strong and is somewhat more heavy than my Canon elphs, although the s120 is slightly larger than the elph series. After shooting about 650 pictures from super closeups of insects and flowers to many beach scenes to action photos of my dog, I am REALLY happy with the camera. On top of the camera is the on/off switch that is slightly recessed into the camera body, the photo mode ranging from full auto to full manual and the shutter which is surrounded by the zoom lever. On the back of the camera is located a very bright lcd sreen that allows an easy view of your picture even in bright sunlight at the beach. To right of the screen is the typical Canon controller for settings and viewing/deleting photos. On the left side is the pop up flash that i have used only a few times, but it seems powerful and is rated at 22 feet which is a lot for such a small camera. On the front there is a ring around the lenses for shortcuts and quick settings as well as manual focusing.

The lenses on the camera is extremely fast and I have been able to take excellent action photos of my dog who seems to move everytime she sees the camera. I was able to 'stop action' of fans spinning in the house, cars on the road and even birds flying. Close-up photos of flowers show small insects and the stamens and pistals quite clearly. I also took a lot of close-ups of printed material and the print was as clear as on the items I photographed. I have used the aperture priority , full auto setting, and the HDR settings, but primarily use P mode where I can control ISO, light according to full sun, cloudy, tungsten etc. I was somewhat skeptical about the HDR, but the camera takes 3 photos VERY quickly allowing the user to pick the best one. Being used to having at least a 10 X zoom on my other cameras, I was pleasantly surprised to find the zoom was more than sufficient to take excellent distance photos. I even tested the digital zoom and those photos came out clear and sharp despite knowing the limitations of the digital feature. So far I have not used the full manual functions and cannot comment of these.

Focusing is excellent and spot on with no distortion and excellent speed. This aspect really pleasantly surprised me. There is a setting on the touch screen that allows you to focus on whatever you want in the viewfinder and works great. The touch screen is as accurate and easy to use as most smartphones.

I have not tried the movie or wi-fi features and cannot provide any information. For me, they are not important and I probably won't ever use them.

Despite my 10+ years of using Canon digital cameras, I still had a little difficulty in using all the functions and settings. This was easily solved by purchasing an excellent book on the Canon G16 written by David Busch and also available on amazon. The G16 is almost identical to the s120 in terms of controls and settings and I highly recommend the book to get to get the best results from the camera. Lots of great easy tips and tricks written in plain english with many photos for extra explanation and clarity.

As always with any electronics product, I thoroughly researched this camera before purchasing it. It got great reviews from many of my usual sources and despite being released in 2013, it still remains in the top 100 best sellers with amazon and averages about 4.3 stars. It is obvious from some of the 1 and 2 star reviews the people did not read the online manual and did not know how to properly use the camera.

The battery life is the only negative for me with this camera and for about $6, I purchased an extra battery which gets me through a day of intensive shooting in many different settings and frequent playback/viewing of the pictures.

Last, don't be fooled by thinking more megapixels equals better photo quality-just isn't true. I think from 8 to 12 is perfect for my needs with printing mostly 4 x 6 and 5 x 7's with an ocassional 8 x 10. Don't take my word on the number of megapixels-do your own reseach and draw your conclusions. I could not be happier with my purchase and would buy it again if lost or stolen.