Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on December 23, 2010
Let me preface this review by saying I have a Canon SD750 which both my fiancee and I LOVE and have owned for about 4 years now. However it has been dropped many times and doesn't quite work the same anymore, although in proper lighting it still takes amazing pictures. Having said all that, there are a few flaws that really nagged me about the camera which the SD4500is fixed.

Now for a few thoughts on the Canon SD4500is.

1) Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, use this camera in the AUTO mode. I'm not quite sure how they ever let this camera get released with the AUTO setting the way it is. It literally takes at least 5 seconds or more for it to decide how and when it wants to take a picture. And when it does the pictures come out terrible. When I first opened up the box and took out the camera, I tried taking a picture of my Christmas tree from about 4-6 feet away. Well the camera came out of the box with the AUTO mode on. I pressed the button to take the picture... and waited... and waited... the camera tried its hardest to focus, then the picture went all blurry until it was just huge blobs of lights and tree, and then it finally snapped the picture. The picture was just horrible. I later realized that for some reason the camera was trying to take the picture in the "macro" mode, which doesn't make sense at all and is probably the reason the picture was big blobs of lights. Anyway to make a long story short, when shooting almost anything, the AUTO mode seems to take way too long and screws up most of the time anyway. Don't use it, just use the middle mode, the picture of the camera on the switch on the top of the camera. The regular mode works perfectly fine.

2) I read a few complaints about the start-up time for this camera on the reviews here. Let me compare some times for you. I did a quick search online and found an online stopwatch and timed the startup times for my old SD750 and for the new SD4500is. The startup time for the SD750 was 1.5 seconds. The startup time for the new SD4500is was 3 seconds. So its about double the time. It seems fairly quick when you are starting it up but the fact is its about double the time than my old camera. Right now I don't see it as such a big deal but maybe when I miss that once in a lifetime shot b/c of the extra 1.5 seconds I'll think differently about it.

3) One of my problems with my old SD750 was the lack of Image Stabilization (it usually took great pictures anyway but it would have helped in several different picture-taking scenarios). Well the new SD4500is has it and it seems to work great, all the pictures in well-lit areas or with flash come out very clear. Big plus for the new SD4500is.

4) Now for the money feature, the feature you SHOULD be buying this camera for or else you might as well just get the $100 Canon powershot. The 10x optical zoom. Yes, its real, and its fantastic. The 10x optical zoom takes really nice pictures and the zoom is usually more than enough. My old SD750 only had a 3x optical zoom I believe. So basically anything after that it was hit-or-miss on whether it'd take a clear picture or not. With the SD4500is you don't have to worry about that, with the zoom your pictures will be clear.

5) Size DOES matter. Our old SD750 was nice and small, lightweight, you could fit it in your pocket and just go. When I ordered the new SD4500is, I was afraid it'd be a lot bigger. Well it is bigger, but not as much as you'd think. Its still small enough to fit in your pocket. I was pleasantly surprised, to the eye it almost looks to be about the same size as our old camera. The punch this camera gives you for its size is simply amazing. Pleasantly surprised in this area.

6) Look and Feel. The new SD4500is does feel a bit heavier than the older SD750, but its not going to be a problem. It sort of makes it feel more solid and expensive if anything. The SD4500is looks great. We bought the brown color because it was the cheapest ($270 on amazon at the time), and my fiancee was worried it would look stupid. But when it came we were both pleasantly surprised, it looks better than it does in the picture in the product description. Its a nice deep brown color, the back is lighter. The whole camera looks nice though. The back of the camera has what looks like a 3" widescreen lcd display.

7) Button layout. The layout is similar to my old SD750 but with some improvements. The separate video record button is a welcome addition. The button for just viewing your pictures is also great (I've seen other cameras where you have to turn a dial just to see your pictures and it gets really annoying). I also love having the option to either press the dial button or turn/rotate the button. Pressing the button can get annoying after a while, especially when viewing photos you've just taken. Turning the dial is much easier and intuitive.

8) Features. There are a ton of photo-settings on the camera, you will probably use less than 10% of them. One feature I love is the ability to control the flash. With my old SD750, I could only choose for it to be on AUTO or OFF. It was so annoying not to be able to put it to ON. Well with the new 4500is you can choose AUTO, ON, OFF, or some other low-light option.

9) Low-light Pictures. I've seen some reviews on here and blast the low-light pictures this camera takes. I tried the low-light picture-taking setting (with the flash OFF) and the reviews are correct, the photos come out grainy and not quite in focus. Or maybe just grainy. Either way they're not that good. Forget using the low-light option. Either take the picture like normal with the flash off (which come out a little better), or turn the adjustable ISO to 800 or 1600. This lets a bit more light in but is quick enough to take a nice picture. The pictures don't come out perfect but they seem to be about the same or better than my old SD750 would take with the flash off in low-light conditions (with the "high iso" setting). About as good as you can get from a pocket-digital camera in my opinion. If you put the ISO any higher you will need a tripod or set it on a table or something to get a clear picture. So in summation this camera CAN take pretty good pictures in low-light conditions, you just can't use the low-light setting because then the pictures come out terrible.

Let me add this. With the flash ON in low-light conditions, it takes great pictures. Flash is amazing.

10) Macro Mode is great. Just like with my older Canon, this camera takes great pictures of things really really close up.

11) Battery meter. Even though I've heard the battery life is pretty bad (I haven't drained it fully yet as I keep stopping for the night and throw it back on the charger), this camera has a BATTERY LIFE METER!!! Thank god! My old Canon sd750 did NOT have this feature and it drove me crazy. With my old camera, all of a sudden it'd say "low bat" and then turn off a few pictures later. There was no warning! With this camera you can at least see the battery life going down and adjust accordingly. Great feature I wished my old camera had.

12) Video. I have only shot about 15 seconds of 1080p video, I hooked it up to my LED tv for playback and the picture is great. I took the video inside, the area was lit but not well-lit. Sound is really good and I didn't have those focus issues other people were talking about (although I only took 15 seconds of video so...). I have a feeling their issues came from either having it in AUTO mode or using the optical zoom in video mode. I will take more longer videos and get back to you guys on this issue...

13) Pictures. Overall the pictures seem to come out very good. I've only used the camera inside so far, I will use it outside and update my review. The pictures seem to have good color and come out clear. Many reviewers talk about it not being "crisp" enough. Honestly I am undecided on the whole thing. They don't really seem to come out "soft" to me, but I also haven't taken many pictures with the camera either. I will take more over the weekend and update my review. As of now the picture quality seems just as good as my old SD750. One thing I did notice is that the pictures on the lcd screen, the color is slightly off. For example, I took a picture of myself against a white background with the flash off. The white background looked a bit yellow-ish on the lcd screen, but when I viewed it on my tv it looked white. So I'm not really sure whats going on here, I think the color on the lcd is slightly off which people may have noticed and figured the camera took poor pictures, but as long as they are correct when printed or transferred to your CPU, then who cares? Like I said I will take a ton more pictures and update my findings.

Summary:
Bottom line is that you are spending the money on this camera for the 10x optical zoom and ability to shoot full HD video. If that's not why you are buying this camera then I suggest you get a cheaper one. Having said that, its well worth the money for the extra zoom and HD video if that's what you are into. Some of the features (such as AUTO mode and low-light setting) simply do not work. But you don't need them anyway. I will take many more pictures and videos over Christmas and update my review. I just had to write this now because I see all the bad reviews about the picture-quality and I felt I needed to write this to clear some things up.

UPDATE 12/26/10

If this is your first camera and you didn't know any better you'd be very very happy with this camera. But most of the negative reviews are from previous Canon owners that have been spoiled by great quality pictures, and honestly I'm not sure if this newer and more expensive camera gives you as good a picture as my 4 year old Canon SD750 that has been dropped on rocks and had sand in the lens and the lens-cover has been broken off and it STILL takes great pictures. Although after having that 10x optical zoom of the SD4500 in my hands, its hard to let go... really hard lol... but its all about trade-offs i suppose.

One of the most important factors was my Fiancee was just not sold on this camera and that was basically one of the more important reasons in returning it. But other than that, we use the camera 95% of the time for taking regular pictures, no zoom, no video, just pictures. And so I'm strongly considering just paying the extra $100 and getting the Canon S95 as I haven't seen anyone complain about the pictures that camera takes. We end up taking a lot of self-pictures (where I stick my arm out with the camera and take a picture of the both of us) and supposedly the S95 has a wider lens which is better for those type of shots. Not to say the SD4500is doesn't take good pictures, but for the money we're spending we want to have piece of mind that its taking as good or better pictures than our previous camera, we don't want to downgrade in the one area we are mainly going to use the camera for. Also the battery life factors into it as well, by the time you spend the money on extra batteries and the hassle that comes with making sure you bring an extra battery everywhere that just piles on you know?

So I guess that would be my final answer. If you are in love with the 10x optical zoom and 1080p video, get this camera because despite other reviewers it DOES take good pictures as long as you don't have it on the stupid AUTO setting. The SD4500is doesn't take the best low-light pictures but I geuss you could call them passable. Also the slow-mo video is pretty cool and funny. But if you're like me and you've been spoiled by a previous camera that took great pictures, and you're not that concerned about all the bells and whistles of this camera, either spend the extra $100 and get the Canon S95, or if you're not as concerned about low-light picture quality then save yourself some money and get the $100 canon P&S's.
20 people found this helpful
|44 comments|Report abuse
Top Contributor: Photographyon February 14, 2018
Purchased one of these used as a spare camera, and I'm fairly satisfied with it. Image quality is very good, similar to the other BSI-CMOS sensor PowerShots I own, and so is the video quality. Sound quality is pretty good, but lacks the bass response of newer and higher-end models such as the PowerShot SX 230 HS, which I also own. The 10x optical zoom is great, although the wide angle starts at 36mm, but that means a longer telephoto reach up to 360mm, similar to megazoom compacts in the SX-series lineup of the time. The menu system is easy to use, although it's too easy to accidentally hit the record button.

The one major downside of this camera is battery life. With the NB-9L being similar in size to a AA battery, battery life isn't that great. It's fine for taking stills, but if you're recording a lot of video, you'll need several batteries.

Overall, this is a good camera if you don't shoot a lot of photos and videos in a single day or need a spare to your main camera without breaking the bank.
on November 15, 2010
I had this camera for a week, took about 300 pictures and lots of HD video and returned it.
I would be surprised if people that gave this camera a 4 or star rating had canon powershot camera's in the past.
If they did, they would be disappointed with this one. Previous models had much quicker startup times, a much faster lens, and a better autofocus setting. I was also disappointed with the low light pictures, despite using the nightshot mode and trying my best to keep the camera as still as possible. Many times in auto mode, the flash would not fire when it should have and even after putting it in manual mode and turning the flash on, it would not fire. The battery life, as mentioned in other reviews, is a joke, ESPECIALLY when filming HD video - that sucks the battery very quickly. I wasnt concerned when I read this in other reviews, as I figured I was just get an extra battery, but I have to say that it is pretty ridiculous. I was also somewhat disappointed with the picture quality. The pictures did not "pop" like my 5 year old SD 550. I was also very frustrated with the layout of menu's and trying to access macro mode, iso settings and the night mode. You have to access them electronically, which took me longer than just turning the "dial" which my sd 550 had. Perhaps this is because I still was not used to this new camera, but to me if it still feels cumbersome after a full 6 days of back to back shooting, thats telling me something.

The selling point on the camera for me were the impressive list of features. The 10x optical zoom is fantastic and took great pictures even at the full 10x zoom. The HD videos (in 1080p) were also great and I loved the one touch movie button. Other positive points were the high burst picture mode that was great for filming wildlife photography and was one of the most impressive and best features of the camera, besides the 1080p video.

Overall though, the great zoom and excellent movie fuction were not enough for me to justify spending $320 on a pocket camera that frustrated me. What's the use of having a great feature set, if the camera isnt quick enough (lens, startup time) or does not have the battery life, to capture that one moment that you wanted to photograph ?
36 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on September 20, 2010
I can't write an in depth review of this camera because I simply don't have the knowledge of either cameras or photography. But I can tell you what I, as a rank amateur, like about it and why I chose it.

This is the second Canon digital camera I've owned. Last year, I bought the Canon PowerShot SX120IS 10MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Images Stabilized Zoom and 3-inch LCD (and wrote an Amazon review of it with the same opening sentence as this review as well as some other similar bits). I did a fair amount of research into brands and models before purchasing that camera and ended up loving it. It was very easy to use and met all of my relatively simple needs - right up to the moment I dropped it in the Strait of Juan de Fuca when I was ferrying back from Vancouver Island a few weeks ago. (Don't ask.)

Because I'd been so happy with that camera, my first impulse was to pick up the same model as a replacement. But knowing how quickly technology seems to change, I decided to check out the new models before making a purchase. That's when I came across the SD4500IS . Admittedly, I was kind of seduced by its design - all sleek and shiny, just lying there tempting me (and I, for one, love the color). But I knew I wouldn't be happy with it unless, like the SX120IS, it met my criteria which is:

1. Must be very simple to use. And I mean simple for ME - the aforementioned rank amateur.
2. Must take decent pictures even for casual operators with very little experience (again, that would be me).
3. Must have a fast shutter speed because grandkids and dogs can move really, REALLY fast.
4. Must fit into my purse. (The new purse, with the zipper that I am counting on to pevent things from falling into the Strait of Juan de Fuca, or any other body of water, for that matter.)
5. Most importantly, must have Canon's Optical Image Stabilizer.

Canon's Optical Image Stabilizer is a feature I discovered in my search for cameras last year and which quickly became my new best friend. I have a tremor condition that causes fine shaking in my hands. It doesn't bother me and doesn't always affect close work, but it can make holding something steady - say, for instance, a camera - almost impossible. As you can guess, the result of that shakiness when snapping photos is, most often, lousy photos.

The Optical Image Stabilizer is like a miracle for me. With it, I can take close ups that are startlingly clear - not every time, of course, but MOST times. And, in combination with a fast shutter speed, the Image Stabilizer really helps me to get some great shots - even action shots - of my grandkids and my dog. I love this feature and would never consider purchasing another camera without it. (Note: I uploaded a photo to the costumer image section for this camera, showing a picture of a Shooting Star flower - Dodecatheon - that I think demonstrates the detail I've been able to capture with the Optical Image Stabilizer.)

I had a great salesman, Jeremy, who didn't mind taking some time with me. (Luckily for me, he spoke English in addition to Camera-Techy.) Cleverly picking up on the way I kept gazing longingly at the SD4500IS, Jeremy was able to persuade me that it would meet my needs just as well as the SX120IS had. Like the SX120IS, it's genuinely easy to to operate (even for me! I know! I was shocked, too!) and has the necessary fast shutter speed as well as the Image Stabilizer. It fits into my new purse. Jeremy assured me that if I was happy with the shots I was getting with the SX120IS, I would be equally or even more satisfied with those I would get with the SD4500IS. And, now that I've had a chance to use it, I can confirm that he was right - I'm getting shots that I consider terrific. Yeah!

The following features on the SC4500IS also factored into my decision to buy it:

1. The HD video capability. I've only used the video mode a couple of times to date (full disclosure: though Jeremy had shown me this feature, my son did have to help me "remember" how to both shoot and view videos), but the quality was truly wonderful. Even with my shaky hands, I was pretty impressed with the end product (and kind of amazed that I had done the filming). I don't have a separate video camera and I'm excited to have the option to shoot some videos on occasion, particularly when visiting the grandkids that live 2,000 miles from me.
2. The high speed burst mode. I tried this out by taking some shots of my granddaughter playing frisbee with my dog. I really love the `stop-action shots' look and I think this feature is going to be a lot of fun. I enjoy messing around in Photoshop and I already have some ideas for how I can use pictures shot in this manner creatively.
3. The low light performance system. I hadn't given this feature much thought until Jeremy was telling me about it. But because my house doesn't get a lot of natural light, particularly in the winter, I believe this will come to be a feature I really appreciate.

Of course, its still very new but, so far, I'm loving the new camera and recommend it. While it cost more than the SX120IS, I'm satisfied with my purchase and don't regret spending the extra money. (I'll admit, it helped that I had a gift card.) However, if you're looking for something with a lower price tag, I still highly recommend the SX120IS as well, which is currently selling for nearly $100 less here on Amazon.
review image
317 people found this helpful
|1717 comments|Report abuse
on March 6, 2013
I did a TON of research, and finally decided on this camera, and I'm really happy with it. My mom was impressed enough to get one too.

The picture quality is awesome, the speed is decent, and the settings are helpful but still quick and easy to use. Overall, this is the perfect point-and-shoot if you're artistic but you don't want to spend the time or money on a DSLR.

I would definitely buy this again. I bought this a year ago, so I haven't done the research to see if it's still competitive with new cameras, but the price and picture quality can't be beat, and I'm very happy with this purchase.

Now for the part of the review I'm adding cause I wish more people referred to the rest of the stuff they buy when they buy something like this!
I bought the Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card for my camera, but my mom was happy with just the 16GB of the same kind Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card (TS32GSDHC10). It was affordable, but still gives me tons and tons of storage space. My mom doesn't mind uploading her pics after every few camera trips, so she's been thrilled with the 16GB. If you can afford it, just get the 32...why not have the extra space??
We also both got the same case after I did my research. I got the black and she got the blue of the Case Logic TBC-302 FFP Compact Camera Case, and again, it's affordable and adequately padded without being bulky, and it can easily hold an extra memory card and battery in the zippered pocket Case Logic TBC-302 FFP Compact Camera Case (Black).
Finally, we bought just one of the ClearMax NB9L NB-9L Lithium Ion Replacement Batteries (2-Pack) + Wall Charger + Car Adapter + European Plug Adapter for Canon Powershot SD4500IS / SD4500 Digital Camera, and we each took one of the extra batteries. That's been SO convenient. As some people said, the battery life is not as robust as you'd want it to be, and I am definitely glad I bought an extra battery. I wouldn't have minded using this whole set, and both batteries, just for myself. So so handy ClearMax NB9L NB-9L Lithium Ion Replacement Batteries (2-Pack) + Wall Charger + Car Adapter + European Plug Adapter for Canon Powershot SD4500IS / SD4500 Digital Camera
One person found this helpful
on May 31, 2011
I bought this as a replacement for my SD870IS - which is still working fine after many years, just hoping for basically the same camera with HD video and more zoom.

Boy, was I ever disappointed. :(

This does not hold a candle to the SD870, at all. I shot video of a friend's band with both cameras when I first got this one, and in the same timeframe went through two fully charged batteries on the SD4500 before I even got a low warning on the SD870's first battery; and wasn't using the SD4500 as much either.

I know that a P&S isn't a DSLR, and I also know it's not a video camera. But the SD870 did both photo and video quite well, about as well as it is possible to do in such a small package; and let's face it, most of us aren't going to lug around both a DSLR and a video camera on a daily basis anyway.

I'll let the video(s) speak for themselves. I shot this with the SD870, 4th row; take note of the audio quality as well as the video: [...]

Then this one, shot with two different P&S; from way back by the mixing board. The first half was the new Sony HX9V, the second half is the SD4500. No post-processing of any kind was done (other than merging the two clips into the same format, both converted together to .wmv which wasn't native to either one), and both cameras were on their full auto setting: [...]
Not only is the SD4500 horribly washed-out by the spotlights, but the audio is not great either - especially not by comparison to either the Sony or the SD870. The only thing the Canon did that the Sony didn't is allow digital zooming while shooting video (the zoom on the Sony was all optical). Sorry Canon, you lost me with this one; make something to equal the SD870IS in HD, and maybe I'll come back. Otherwise, I'm happier with the Sony. To anyone considering this one, I'd say don't waste your money; go with the S95 (which has much better reviews, have not tried it myself but it seems more up to Canon quality than this one is) if you want great photos. Or, if like me video capability matters to you almost as much as photo quality, check out the Sony.
2 people found this helpful
on August 17, 2012
I purchased this camera as a gift for my mother. She wanted a new camera before a big trip. She also packed her older Canon point and shoot as "back up" even though I teased her about it. Turned out she was right because the battery life on this camera is pretty pathetic. She would charge the battery every night and sometimes only get 20 pictures before it would die. Also, despite the stability features of this camera she got some inexplicably fuzzy shots. It was interesting to compare her pictures and the ones I took with my Canon G10. The colors from the G10 were much sharper and more realistic while the pictures from the PowerShot SD4500 seemed to have a slightly yellow tinge.

I think overall, with this camera you are trading quality for ease of use. It's really easy to use, but the images you produce aren't the best and the battery-life is just annoying. I bought her some backup batteries but it was really frustrating to have a basically brand new camera pooping out every afternoon.
on February 22, 2011
Quick Review:
Bought it at the end of November 2010. Use it quite often but I have the some big complaints..
1. It takes a long time from turning on the camera to when the picture is actually taken. I have had several friends say "Take the picture already!"
2.The autofocus either takes a really long time or is just plain bad. At least 1 picture out of every 10 comes out blurry. So now I have to take multiple pictures of the same object and I always have to yell "Hold on for one more."
3. The flash bleaches out pictures that are taken within 8ft. So I would have to retake pictures at a further distance or with the flash partially covered.

On the positive side, it has a very nice long distance zoom and the pictures that come out good, turn out great.

For all I know it could just be my camera, but next time I will have to play around with the camera before I decide to buy it. I will try to stay loyal to Canon, but who knows.
6 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on August 9, 2011
Bought this camera because of the 10X optical zoom and great reviews for its predecessor, the SD4000. Amazing how they managed to make a worse follow up product. We own 4 Canon cameras including a DSLR, and a canon high end video camera. This thing does not deserve the name on it. Canon should recall them all just to save face.

So the main purpose for this camera was to use for a huge concert we were attending that would not allow "professional cameras" with detachable lenses. We had floor seats just 20 rows back to watch one of the Fab Four this night. This camera refused to focus where we wanted it to. Our of the ~100 pictures we took, I got maybe 15 usable pictures. I'm not a pro photographer, but I'm not bad. And people often comment on the pictures I take. This camera almost ruined our whole night.

Not to mention, the battery only lasted about 100 pictures in 2.5 hours. Then it was dead, and I took the rest on my iPhone. At least the pics on my iPhone were clear and in focus. End result, do not buy this camera, even at the great discount offered by Amazon.
8 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on April 6, 2015
Wish I could give it more stars, but just not usable in the real world. The startup time is terrible, so don't plan to draw and shoot anything unplanned. This alone is the reason I pawned the camera off to another department so I could replace with a Canon 100HS. On top of that the battery life is pathetic, it's like they didn't even test this camera in the real world. I couldn't go half a day in the field without needing to charge the battery. Also, it is much bulkier than expected and is difficult to fit in a pocket. Bottom line, don't but this camera.
One person found this helpful