Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 714 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 785 reviews
on September 26, 2013
I have the professional Canon 5D Mark 2 camera with all the lenses, flash filters and everything else, but I needed a small camera for riding my motorcycle to events. After researching I settled on the Canon PowerShot SX510 HS, which I am glad I did. The first weekend I took over 300 photographs and I am extremely happy with this camera. I was really surprised at how small it is but it does take a nice 12 meg picture. For the price, I can't imagine using anything else.
99 comments| 420 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2014
Wow. This is a truly amazing little camera. I bought this to replace my Nikon Coolpix. I had my coolpix for just over 12 months when it broke, due to no fault of my own, and it was going to cost $150 to repair. Rather than repair a camera that I liked but didn't love, I decided to make a new purchase.

My initial intention was to purchase a Canon Rebel, I have used my mom's in the past and really love that camera. I loved using the interchangeable lenses and the ability to manually focus. Seeing the cost though ($500+,) plus the cost of additional lenses, it just wasn't in my price range at the moment and I needed a new camera urgently. If you're looking for a DSLR, do not expect this to function the same. It's a powerful little camera, but it is NOT a DSLR. If you're an amateur photographer and have no intention of taking a class to learn how to use the functions of a DSLR, this is a perfect camera for you.

So began my research. It became a toss up between the Canon SX510 and the Nikon L820. Reviewers were split between the two, some preferring the Nikon, some preferring the Canon. They seemed to come out about even except in a few minor categories, and having been very pleased with the Canon Rebel, I decided to go with the Canon despite it costing about $30 more than the Nikon.

Pro's-

*30x Optical zoom - awesome, no more grainy pictures of kids on stage during performances

*Built in wifi - go ahead and upload your pics to facebook, send them to your phone, or directly to your wireless printer.

*Manual setting - can do your own iso settings, white balance, shutter speed etc. The auto setting works fabulously in most cases, far better than any camera I've ever owned, but the option is there for those times it's just not adjusting quite how you want it.

*CMOS sensor provides for a clearer image, especially on the macro setting, than my own eyes give me.

*Zoom assist - for when you use your 30x zoom but lose your subject

*Size - for anyone that has gone hiking with a DSLR and multiple lenses, you know what a pain that can be. This lighter camera is perfect for running around and still has a lot of the qualities that you'd look for in a DSLR. So unless you're out taking professional shots, this comes in really handy

*Discreet mode - This is a setting on the dial, great for those events when there is no flash allowed. In this mode, the camera doesn't make noise when turning it on, nor does the flash go off. Even if the camera goes off and you turn it back on, because it is set on the dial, it doesn't reset itself. I've accidentally had my flash turned back on so many times that way on previous cameras.

Cons -

*Very poor manual - A lot of skipping around to get one thing done. IE Looking through the start up manual, it says "for instructions on attaching (the lens cap cord and neck strap) please see the user manual on the canon website" Granted, it wasn't difficult to figure out, but there was no clear spot for the lens cap cord, and it is something that should have been included in a "start-up" manual. Another example of a poor manual, referring to the downloadable pdf manual...say you want to learn how to use the miniature setting...so it says "miniature setting, pg 48" You go to pg 48 and it says to follow steps 1 and 2 on page 46....okay back to page 46, got that down, back to page 48. It seems to be this way when trying to learn how to access any of the features. I can't fault the actual camera for this, but definitely Canon. I actually made up my own cheat sheet for accessing my favorite features until I have it down.

*No ability to manually focus - Being that this camera is not a DSLR, I didn't expect or really even hope for this feature. I would have liked it, but for the $$, I definitely can't complain and will upgrade in the future.

*Mirrorless - I would definitely prefer to use a viewfinder, I am used to going without though, so it's easy to work around.

*No Raw Shooting - this feature doesn't apply to most people, but sometimes I prefer to use it

*No Touch Screen - This is taking time for me to get used to, I find myself constantly tapping the screen. My last 2 cameras, going back to 2010, have been touch screen, so I'm surprised to find this camera doesn't have one.

Some reviewers have complained about the difficulty of accessing the wifi, this was fairly easy for me and took about 15 minutes max. It's a little more work than it typically takes to connect a device to wifi,and you have to use the computer to do it, but it's still not overly difficult.

Despite the cons, I'm still incredibly impressed with this camera and it has definitely earned 5 stars when taking into account the type of camera, the construction, and the value. I'm very happy with this purchase despite the fact that I was hoping for my next camera to be the Rebel. I never imagined I'd get a camera of this level of quality for under $400. (I paid $229, could have bought a slightly cheaper one, but wanted one that was Amazon fulfilled and prime)
11 comment| 312 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2016
This helped me out a great def a great camera to record on I just started a youtube and I use this for my photos and videos and It looks great check it out if you wanna see if in action Youtube iiamkee21 Ill post a pic I took with this camera def a good starting out camera
review image review image
on September 10, 2015
This camera is amazing! Look at photo I took of a Bald Eagle. The Eagle was in a very tall tree and I was on a boat that was moving quickly due to I had just put the boat in neutral and not only was the boat still moving, it was windy which was making the boat move even faster. I was able to zoom in to the bird, see it was an Eagle and took the two shots. Not sure if you will be able to tell on here but it is so clear that you can see the color of the Bald Eagles eye and it's pupil! This amazed me since boat was moving up and down and moving along the water too! I have used the camera indoors to do video and it does a good job of stabilization as I am walking from room to room. It does a good job on the videos in low light and I love that it has such a nice "wide angle lens for small rooms such as bathrooms which are always hard to capture. For the price, I don't think you can beat this camera! I recommend it to friends and would buy it again. (and no, I did not receive this "free" and I am not being paid for this review....just a happy consumer!) Note: Second photo of Eagle in flight is not as good, I lost sight of him and was moving the camera around quickly so not only did I have boat moving in one direction, I was moving the camera in the opposite direction and had the camera set on "auto" not even on the mode to capture something moving...auto mode for a "still" object. When I hit the shutter button, I expected nothing but "blur" but got this. As you can tell I am a "very" amateur photographer so anyone can use this camera and get great shots!
review image review image
on May 14, 2014
I just received my Canon SX-510 HS digital camera to replace an older Olympus digital camera since I needed a replacement pronto. First thing I noticed when I opened up the box & took out the camera and my first thought was....."holy cow...it's so small!" It looks like my Canon SX-50 HS camera, but smaller with a few features missing.
I took a small variety of photos yesterday with this camera and overall, not bad.
Photo quality outdoors seems good and also in low light situations, this camera seems to take decent photos without flash. Indoor photo quality seems good with flash. Video quality is fine also and in HD.

Overall, this small camera seems easy to use and very similar in ease of use compared to my bigger Canon SX-50 HS camera.

Pros include: easy to use, good menu system, 30X optical zoom, large rear LCD viewfinder, nice quality-looking camera, comfy hand grip....tho a bit smallish, great high speed photo shoot option and finally acceptable photo quality inside and outside.

Cons include: a fixed rear LCD viewfinder [not really a big deal], zoom operates a little slow and rather smallish camera. I am not really a big person, but this camera seems tiny.....like a compact point & shoot with a huge zoom on it.

To me, this camera seems built for a smaller adult, teen or younger since it's really smaller than I thought. If Canon made the grip just a bit larger, that would have solved the problem....at least they added a rubberized outer coating on the grip and that's a very nice touch.
It's a nice little camera that takes decent photos. I intend to keep this camera and overall, I gave this camera 4 of 5 stars mostly due to the fact this camera is a bit smaller than I expected and a bit sluggish with the zoom operation. Otherwise, this is a very nice digital camera.
on March 9, 2015
I LOVE this camera. I bought it about a year ago after serious research. The zoom is absolutely incredibly and it takes some really stunning outdoor photos. It's not great at taking pictures inside because the flash really messes up the picture with the lighting, but I bought it for vacation photos and it served me well. As a bonus, it takes great video with really impressive audio quality! I make singing videos for YouTube and haven't used the expensive microphone I bought since getting this camera. I'm attaching some pictures taken with the camera.
review image
on July 10, 2015
I received the Canon SX510 HS in less than a week. I use this camera for work to take up to 1500 photos a day for used car dealerships. I have been through about 12 cameras in my 8 yrs doing this. This one has held up the best by far. I have had to replace most of my cameras because the lock on the battery door would break or the lens would stop retracting. This camera has great zoom for its size, battery life is great and has a very fast focus. I have not been able to find this camera in stores and I am glad that found it here, and at a good price.
on February 28, 2015
I'm still learning the ins-and-outs but I can get great close-ups of birds when I am out birding - then I can come home and look in the book for the true identity - very helpful for a novice birder. I sort of with there was a cover for the back screen and I miss having an optical viewfinder since it is often hard to see the LCD viewer I certain light - you're really shooting blind. But I love the close-ups and ease of use.
on September 28, 2016
A good camera!

The quality of the image is pretty good.
The camera is light and easy to carry.
The charger and a memory card are included.

Overall I am satisfied with the purchase, but the reason I rated 4 stars is that I think it is a bit overpriced.
on October 23, 2013
Great camera for travellers,, fast shooting ,, best thing i found is ,.. one can zoom while taking video.. which i have never found this feature in this type version of cameras before
11 comment| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse