Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop now TG18PP_gno

on December 25, 2013
I'm just a point-and-shoot guy, and all I wanted was a good point-and-shoot camera with a powerful zoom lens, and good picture quality for an admittedly undiscerning eye. I got all that and more with this camera. Since there are plenty of "expert" reviews, I'm not going to say anything about the ins-and-outs of the camera. So, for what it's worth, here are my random comments.

1. Besides the 30x optical zoom on the SX510, the other cool feature is the wifi capability. Setting up the wifi was not particularly intuitive, but I eventually got everything working. I read one review from a mac owner that the wifi would not transfer pictures wirelessly from the camera to the the Apple computer. That's not true. All you need to do is download some Canon software (available here: [...] Once you download and install the software, you need to connect your computer to the camera via your home wifi network. Again, this isn't very intuitive, but it's not too difficult either. After the connection is made, you'll be able to transfer photos from the camera to your Apple computer via the "Image Sync" command.

2. One reason I decided to get a new camera (I upgraded from an older Canon Powershot, the S3) was because my old camera took terrible pictures indoors and in low light. I read that the SX510 did much better. To my untrained eye, this certainly seems to be the case. I took a couple of indoor pictures that turned out very poorly on my S3; using the SX510, the same shots were significantly better. On close inspection, I could see some "noise," but relatively speaking, the differences were huge.

3. The SX510 is very compact and light. One big reason, of course, is that it uses a proprietary battery, rather than 4 AAs. A lot of people prefer AAs for obvious reasons, but as long as you are prepared, the proprietary battery should not be a problem. You can buy extra batteries online (on Amazon) for a very low price. Having extra batteries will help you avoid those sad situations of not having batteries when you need them.

Well, that's all I can think of for now.
1111 comments| 682 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 3, 2016
This helped me out a great def a great camera to record on I just started a youtube and I use this for my photos and videos and It looks great check it out if you wanna see if in action Youtube iiamkee21 Ill post a pic I took with this camera def a good starting out camera
review imagereview image
on September 26, 2013
I have the professional Canon 5D Mark 2 camera with all the lenses, flash filters and everything else, but I needed a small camera for riding my motorcycle to events. After researching I settled on the Canon PowerShot SX510 HS, which I am glad I did. The first weekend I took over 300 photographs and I am extremely happy with this camera. I was really surprised at how small it is but it does take a nice 12 meg picture. For the price, I can't imagine using anything else.
99 comments| 421 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 12, 2016
After years of point and shoot cellphone camera convenience, I needed something that can take clear photos macro scale and low light situations. It took me a while to figure out how to adjust the settings. But after some practice I'm getting the photos that I wanted.
review imagereview image
on April 16, 2014
Wow. This is a truly amazing little camera. I bought this to replace my Nikon Coolpix. I had my coolpix for just over 12 months when it broke, due to no fault of my own, and it was going to cost $150 to repair. Rather than repair a camera that I liked but didn't love, I decided to make a new purchase.

My initial intention was to purchase a Canon Rebel, I have used my mom's in the past and really love that camera. I loved using the interchangeable lenses and the ability to manually focus. Seeing the cost though ($500+,) plus the cost of additional lenses, it just wasn't in my price range at the moment and I needed a new camera urgently. If you're looking for a DSLR, do not expect this to function the same. It's a powerful little camera, but it is NOT a DSLR. If you're an amateur photographer and have no intention of taking a class to learn how to use the functions of a DSLR, this is a perfect camera for you.

So began my research. It became a toss up between the Canon SX510 and the Nikon L820. Reviewers were split between the two, some preferring the Nikon, some preferring the Canon. They seemed to come out about even except in a few minor categories, and having been very pleased with the Canon Rebel, I decided to go with the Canon despite it costing about $30 more than the Nikon.

*30x Optical zoom - awesome, no more grainy pictures of kids on stage during performances

*Built in wifi - go ahead and upload your pics to facebook, send them to your phone, or directly to your wireless printer.

*Manual setting - can do your own iso settings, white balance, shutter speed etc. The auto setting works fabulously in most cases, far better than any camera I've ever owned, but the option is there for those times it's just not adjusting quite how you want it.

*CMOS sensor provides for a clearer image, especially on the macro setting, than my own eyes give me.

*Zoom assist - for when you use your 30x zoom but lose your subject

*Size - for anyone that has gone hiking with a DSLR and multiple lenses, you know what a pain that can be. This lighter camera is perfect for running around and still has a lot of the qualities that you'd look for in a DSLR. So unless you're out taking professional shots, this comes in really handy

*Discreet mode - This is a setting on the dial, great for those events when there is no flash allowed. In this mode, the camera doesn't make noise when turning it on, nor does the flash go off. Even if the camera goes off and you turn it back on, because it is set on the dial, it doesn't reset itself. I've accidentally had my flash turned back on so many times that way on previous cameras.

Cons -

*Very poor manual - A lot of skipping around to get one thing done. IE Looking through the start up manual, it says "for instructions on attaching (the lens cap cord and neck strap) please see the user manual on the canon website" Granted, it wasn't difficult to figure out, but there was no clear spot for the lens cap cord, and it is something that should have been included in a "start-up" manual. Another example of a poor manual, referring to the downloadable pdf manual...say you want to learn how to use the miniature setting...so it says "miniature setting, pg 48" You go to pg 48 and it says to follow steps 1 and 2 on page 46....okay back to page 46, got that down, back to page 48. It seems to be this way when trying to learn how to access any of the features. I can't fault the actual camera for this, but definitely Canon. I actually made up my own cheat sheet for accessing my favorite features until I have it down.

*No ability to manually focus - Being that this camera is not a DSLR, I didn't expect or really even hope for this feature. I would have liked it, but for the $$, I definitely can't complain and will upgrade in the future.

*Mirrorless - I would definitely prefer to use a viewfinder, I am used to going without though, so it's easy to work around.

*No Raw Shooting - this feature doesn't apply to most people, but sometimes I prefer to use it

*No Touch Screen - This is taking time for me to get used to, I find myself constantly tapping the screen. My last 2 cameras, going back to 2010, have been touch screen, so I'm surprised to find this camera doesn't have one.

Some reviewers have complained about the difficulty of accessing the wifi, this was fairly easy for me and took about 15 minutes max. It's a little more work than it typically takes to connect a device to wifi,and you have to use the computer to do it, but it's still not overly difficult.

Despite the cons, I'm still incredibly impressed with this camera and it has definitely earned 5 stars when taking into account the type of camera, the construction, and the value. I'm very happy with this purchase despite the fact that I was hoping for my next camera to be the Rebel. I never imagined I'd get a camera of this level of quality for under $400. (I paid $229, could have bought a slightly cheaper one, but wanted one that was Amazon fulfilled and prime)
11 comment| 315 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 24, 2014
I had been comparing point and shoot digital cameras for over a year when I was unexpectedly given an Amazon gift card for $200. So I bought this camera because
1) The 30x zoom was a huge selling point and it produces amazing images. You can see fine detail and using the maximum zoom on the lens does not affect image stability or resolution. I was able to get really great pictures of lotus flowers in a lake without using a tripod or stabilizing my hand on anything...just holding the camera worked great. I know that lots of people use smart phones for casual photography these days, so purchasing a single-function device probably seems redundant, but trust me, no smart phone can produce images to equal the ones from this camera.
2) The video capabilities are more than adequate for my needs as a mom. I can get an entire performance recorded (talent show, presentation) with no issues at all. And again, the stabilizing feature for the images works great on the video as well.
3) I managed to sort out how to upload images from the camera to the computer using wifi. There are about 20 pages of instructions in the manual for getting this done. It is a process and you have to be patient but it works really well once the access points are established. You can even create a network between your computer and the camera so no internet connection is required. I still ordered the usb cable (they cost about $6).

My husband has been using a Sony digital 30X for about 4 years so I was really surprised when this Canon showed up and was about one third the size and weight of his camera. It is really small and super light. I can fit the camera, the very nice neck strap, the battery charger, and a spare battery in a case that is 5 inches x 5 inches x 8 inches tall.

I have absolutely no buyer's remorse with this purchase and I can totally see why this camera is the number one best seller (from Amazon) in the point and shoot cameras category. Great value for the dollar!
I just received my Canon SX-510 HS digital camera to replace an older Olympus digital camera since I needed a replacement pronto. First thing I noticed when I opened up the box & took out the camera and my first thought was....."holy cow...it's so small!" It looks like my Canon SX-50 HS camera, but smaller with a few features missing.
I took a small variety of photos yesterday with this camera and overall, not bad.
Photo quality outdoors seems good and also in low light situations, this camera seems to take decent photos without flash. Indoor photo quality seems good with flash. Video quality is fine also and in HD.

Overall, this small camera seems easy to use and very similar in ease of use compared to my bigger Canon SX-50 HS camera.

Pros include: easy to use, good menu system, 30X optical zoom, large rear LCD viewfinder, nice quality-looking camera, comfy hand grip....tho a bit smallish, great high speed photo shoot option and finally acceptable photo quality inside and outside.

Cons include: a fixed rear LCD viewfinder [not really a big deal], zoom operates a little slow and rather smallish camera. I am not really a big person, but this camera seems tiny.....like a compact point & shoot with a huge zoom on it.

To me, this camera seems built for a smaller adult, teen or younger since it's really smaller than I thought. If Canon made the grip just a bit larger, that would have solved the problem....at least they added a rubberized outer coating on the grip and that's a very nice touch.
It's a nice little camera that takes decent photos. I intend to keep this camera and overall, I gave this camera 4 of 5 stars mostly due to the fact this camera is a bit smaller than I expected and a bit sluggish with the zoom operation. Otherwise, this is a very nice digital camera.
on August 31, 2016
This was the absolute perfect purchase- I've been on the fence about getting a nice camera for a while, but didn't want to pay over $200, especially since I have no background or skill in photography.

This camera was a great combo of being really powerful and producing high quality images, but also wasn't crazy expensive and doesn't require any previous photography knowledge. Even though it was used, I wouldn't have known if they didn't tell me.

My favorite thing is being to upload my pictures directly to my computer over wi-fi; no fooling around with a cord or USB. After I set up the wireless connection, I can send them to my computer or social media sites directly from the camera
on February 11, 2014
This camera has amazing zoom and picture quality, especially considering its size/price.

I've always been a Canon fan (all of my cameras have been Canon: each one has lasted many years of abuse!) and since I've had such good experiences with their cameras I purchased this one. It did not disappoint.

I confess: I am not a pro-level photographer, nor am I really into photography as a serious hobby. However, I have a little knowledge/have taken digital photography courses, so I like that this model has some manual settings/options so that I can get fancy if I'm in the mood. Otherwise I just let the camera do the work for me!

I travel a lot and like taking pictures of things/people/events that I want to remember. I specifically chose this model because it performs really well, but won't financially ruin me if it gets stolen/broken in the course of my travels. I LOVE that I can rely on this camera to take excellent images, while also focusing on enjoying my surroundings rather than sweating over losing a camera with a huge price tag. The worst part of losing this bad boy would be losing the pics you'd have on the memory card. And for that, with the Wifi feature, you can upload/backup your pics on the go while taking a break at a cafe for extra peace of mind.

Also, while it certainly isn't nearly as compact as my Elph (the credit-card-sized camera I've used for the past 4 years), it isn't unreasonably huge. I personally prefer to be able to stash my camera in a small purse rather than walk around with a huge camera bag or worse yet, with a huge camera dangling around my neck.

So, overall, I love it. Canon, you've got me for life! Keep making stuff like this and I'll keep buying from you.
on December 2, 2014
We've only had this camera for about a week, a week in which we visited Disneyland with our little ones. I'd been very disappointed with the performance of a cheaper camera, in this case a Nikon Coolpix. This Canon Powershot, although it looks a bit bulkier and maybe a bit intimidating for someone not accustomed to it, is AMAZING! (And it is remarkably light). It produces quality pictures from near and far, at day time and at night. Images are crisp, yet have a certain warmness to them, the camera truly captures the moment. It focuses quickly and accurately, the zoom is amazing, and we haven't had too many issues with red eye. It is a WONDERFUL camera, pictures even turn out when people aren't holding perfectly still. Love it. Very easy to use. The battery is rechargeable and it charges quickly (no double A trouble). They should not discontinue a camera like this!