Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 717 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 787 reviews
on September 26, 2013
I have the professional Canon 5D Mark 2 camera with all the lenses, flash filters and everything else, but I needed a small camera for riding my motorcycle to events. After researching I settled on the Canon PowerShot SX510 HS, which I am glad I did. The first weekend I took over 300 photographs and I am extremely happy with this camera. I was really surprised at how small it is but it does take a nice 12 meg picture. For the price, I can't imagine using anything else.
99 comments| 420 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2014
Wow. This is a truly amazing little camera. I bought this to replace my Nikon Coolpix. I had my coolpix for just over 12 months when it broke, due to no fault of my own, and it was going to cost $150 to repair. Rather than repair a camera that I liked but didn't love, I decided to make a new purchase.

My initial intention was to purchase a Canon Rebel, I have used my mom's in the past and really love that camera. I loved using the interchangeable lenses and the ability to manually focus. Seeing the cost though ($500+,) plus the cost of additional lenses, it just wasn't in my price range at the moment and I needed a new camera urgently. If you're looking for a DSLR, do not expect this to function the same. It's a powerful little camera, but it is NOT a DSLR. If you're an amateur photographer and have no intention of taking a class to learn how to use the functions of a DSLR, this is a perfect camera for you.

So began my research. It became a toss up between the Canon SX510 and the Nikon L820. Reviewers were split between the two, some preferring the Nikon, some preferring the Canon. They seemed to come out about even except in a few minor categories, and having been very pleased with the Canon Rebel, I decided to go with the Canon despite it costing about $30 more than the Nikon.

Pro's-

*30x Optical zoom - awesome, no more grainy pictures of kids on stage during performances

*Built in wifi - go ahead and upload your pics to facebook, send them to your phone, or directly to your wireless printer.

*Manual setting - can do your own iso settings, white balance, shutter speed etc. The auto setting works fabulously in most cases, far better than any camera I've ever owned, but the option is there for those times it's just not adjusting quite how you want it.

*CMOS sensor provides for a clearer image, especially on the macro setting, than my own eyes give me.

*Zoom assist - for when you use your 30x zoom but lose your subject

*Size - for anyone that has gone hiking with a DSLR and multiple lenses, you know what a pain that can be. This lighter camera is perfect for running around and still has a lot of the qualities that you'd look for in a DSLR. So unless you're out taking professional shots, this comes in really handy

*Discreet mode - This is a setting on the dial, great for those events when there is no flash allowed. In this mode, the camera doesn't make noise when turning it on, nor does the flash go off. Even if the camera goes off and you turn it back on, because it is set on the dial, it doesn't reset itself. I've accidentally had my flash turned back on so many times that way on previous cameras.

Cons -

*Very poor manual - A lot of skipping around to get one thing done. IE Looking through the start up manual, it says "for instructions on attaching (the lens cap cord and neck strap) please see the user manual on the canon website" Granted, it wasn't difficult to figure out, but there was no clear spot for the lens cap cord, and it is something that should have been included in a "start-up" manual. Another example of a poor manual, referring to the downloadable pdf manual...say you want to learn how to use the miniature setting...so it says "miniature setting, pg 48" You go to pg 48 and it says to follow steps 1 and 2 on page 46....okay back to page 46, got that down, back to page 48. It seems to be this way when trying to learn how to access any of the features. I can't fault the actual camera for this, but definitely Canon. I actually made up my own cheat sheet for accessing my favorite features until I have it down.

*No ability to manually focus - Being that this camera is not a DSLR, I didn't expect or really even hope for this feature. I would have liked it, but for the $$, I definitely can't complain and will upgrade in the future.

*Mirrorless - I would definitely prefer to use a viewfinder, I am used to going without though, so it's easy to work around.

*No Raw Shooting - this feature doesn't apply to most people, but sometimes I prefer to use it

*No Touch Screen - This is taking time for me to get used to, I find myself constantly tapping the screen. My last 2 cameras, going back to 2010, have been touch screen, so I'm surprised to find this camera doesn't have one.

Some reviewers have complained about the difficulty of accessing the wifi, this was fairly easy for me and took about 15 minutes max. It's a little more work than it typically takes to connect a device to wifi,and you have to use the computer to do it, but it's still not overly difficult.

Despite the cons, I'm still incredibly impressed with this camera and it has definitely earned 5 stars when taking into account the type of camera, the construction, and the value. I'm very happy with this purchase despite the fact that I was hoping for my next camera to be the Rebel. I never imagined I'd get a camera of this level of quality for under $400. (I paid $229, could have bought a slightly cheaper one, but wanted one that was Amazon fulfilled and prime)
11 comment| 314 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2014
I just received my Canon SX-510 HS digital camera to replace an older Olympus digital camera since I needed a replacement pronto. First thing I noticed when I opened up the box & took out the camera and my first thought was....."holy cow...it's so small!" It looks like my Canon SX-50 HS camera, but smaller with a few features missing.
I took a small variety of photos yesterday with this camera and overall, not bad.
Photo quality outdoors seems good and also in low light situations, this camera seems to take decent photos without flash. Indoor photo quality seems good with flash. Video quality is fine also and in HD.

Overall, this small camera seems easy to use and very similar in ease of use compared to my bigger Canon SX-50 HS camera.

Pros include: easy to use, good menu system, 30X optical zoom, large rear LCD viewfinder, nice quality-looking camera, comfy hand grip....tho a bit smallish, great high speed photo shoot option and finally acceptable photo quality inside and outside.

Cons include: a fixed rear LCD viewfinder [not really a big deal], zoom operates a little slow and rather smallish camera. I am not really a big person, but this camera seems tiny.....like a compact point & shoot with a huge zoom on it.

To me, this camera seems built for a smaller adult, teen or younger since it's really smaller than I thought. If Canon made the grip just a bit larger, that would have solved the problem....at least they added a rubberized outer coating on the grip and that's a very nice touch.
It's a nice little camera that takes decent photos. I intend to keep this camera and overall, I gave this camera 4 of 5 stars mostly due to the fact this camera is a bit smaller than I expected and a bit sluggish with the zoom operation. Otherwise, this is a very nice digital camera.
on March 9, 2015
I LOVE this camera. I bought it about a year ago after serious research. The zoom is absolutely incredibly and it takes some really stunning outdoor photos. It's not great at taking pictures inside because the flash really messes up the picture with the lighting, but I bought it for vacation photos and it served me well. As a bonus, it takes great video with really impressive audio quality! I make singing videos for YouTube and haven't used the expensive microphone I bought since getting this camera. I'm attaching some pictures taken with the camera.
review image
on April 2, 2014
I got this model, over the 500, because of the 1080 video. The 500 has 16MP but only 720 video. The 510's 1080 video is awesome. I was not disappointed. I can shoot beautiful video on the fly and you can still zoom in and out while filming.

This camera is diminutive. I mean VERY SMALL! But I have medium/large hands and it fit my grip quite well. The small size also means it is light weight. It won't quite fit in a pants pocket, but if you have cargo pants you may be able to fit it into one of the cargo pockets. But it comes with a neck/shoulder strap so you can wear it that way as well,

A few other reviewers have commented on the camera saying they could not take a clear picture. I would say it is user error because I have not experienced any blurred pictures. The auto focus takes some getting used to for people who have never used auto focus. The shutter is not instantaneous. You have to hold the camera still until after the shot is complete. You can't simply press the shutter and take the pictures, You have to wait until the shot is done before moving the camera.

The camera has LOADS of options for shooting, similar to a DSLR. But the Auto feature yields good results as well.

I am very pleased with this camera. I would buy it again. The video is very good and the still images are also as good. I would recommend this camera for anyone who wants more control over their video and camera abilities. You'll enjoy this camera if you are looking for a smaller camera. I bought it because I didn't want to take my expensive DSLR on a family trip. This camera is a cross between point-and-shoot and a DSLR.
on January 14, 2016
I've taken spectacular photos of the moon, filmed video of concerts and dance events, done macro shots of insects and plants and landscapes of the ocean...I'm still learning how to use all the features.

Three downers:
I wish it had a viewfinder. Looking at the screen every time to see if I framed the shot well can be a pain.

The built-in microphone on top picks up a lot of wind noise even with the software filter setting on. I had to film an interview on a windy beach and I knew the vocals would be wiped out. I made a mini dead cat filter out of a piece of elastic band and a part of a fake fur collar and held it in place with sticky-tak. It cut back almost all of the roar, leaving just the ocean purring in the background and the person's voice clearly heard.

I also have trouble with photographing motion in low light, like someone blowing out birthday candles.

Even with the 3 downers I can't say this is a bad camera. For the money it's been fantastic.
on January 19, 2016
This camera takes excellent photos and videos. I only use it occasionally but it has always met my needs. I like that the camera has a lot of different settings for different types of pictures. The photos are very clear and high quality.

I also really like the option to upload photos through wifi to my laptop without plugging the camera in. This really speeds up the time it takes to upload photos and makes it a much easier process.

This is an excellent camera. It is a great value! Many comparable cameras go for double the price. I am pleased with this purchase and would recommend this digital camera.
on May 24, 2015
I do love this camera, and am very happy with most features of it. I bought it in Aug 2014, because of it's 30x zoom capabilities. It looks like a DSLR, but is small, very small. Not small enough to fit in a purse, however, therefore I often don't have it when I want it!

This camera takes AWESOME zoom photos, I am amazed and incredulous at how well it does. Birds on a faraway tree, the MOON craters, building details from a distance....all excellent. Sharp and clear. I can see the individual feathers on a hummingbird.

I also love the WIFI capabilities, I never thought I'd have such a wonderful feature. It took me about 3 DAYS to get it working, and much reading and rereading of the manual, but I finally got it going, and it works beautifully. I use it to transfer pictures to my tablet to post on Instagram.

This is why I'm looking at this site today, though: I'm having such trouble with the Auto Focus!! Sometimes it works beautifully, sometimes it WILL NOT FOCUS. Far or near. Zoom or wide angle. It just stubbornly refuses to focus on anything, not just the particular item I want it to focus on. I"m not an amateur, I know how focusing works and how to get it to focus on what you want. Sometimes if I turn it off and back on, then it will focus. I have missed a lot of shots because I couldn't get the camera to focus. I'm beginning to think something is wrong with it, not me. I also have had trouble with the flash not flashing anywhere near when I would like it to flash!! I was taking pictures of a wedding couple slow dancing, and the flash and shutter would finally go off about 5 seconds later, when the scene had completely changed. Photo lost.

The battery with this camera lasts an OK amount of time, but not a really GOOD amount of time. I bought an extra one, so I can have one charging and one in the camera, and that seems to work pretty well. Sometimes I have plugged in the charger right at a wedding reception outlet, and an hour or so later, it's ready to go again.

One other complaint: The settings and dials are super confusing! If I finally find the location of some feature the camera offers, I can never find it again. So many dials and choices, it's not easy or quick, and not easy to figure out. I also wish we had an actual book for a manual! The one that comes with it is just for basic start-up, and how to enable the Wifi. Not even a diagram of all the dials and buttons, or a troubleshooting section. For those, you have to go online and download it, which I think is cheap!

That all said, it still does take beautiful pictures!
on August 31, 2016
This was the absolute perfect purchase- I've been on the fence about getting a nice camera for a while, but didn't want to pay over $200, especially since I have no background or skill in photography.

This camera was a great combo of being really powerful and producing high quality images, but also wasn't crazy expensive and doesn't require any previous photography knowledge. Even though it was used, I wouldn't have known if they didn't tell me.

My favorite thing is being to upload my pictures directly to my computer over wi-fi; no fooling around with a cord or USB. After I set up the wireless connection, I can send them to my computer or social media sites directly from the camera
on August 9, 2014
Love the camera and many other people tell you why, so ditto. Took a star away because it does not come with a detail manuel just a starter manuel. I'm not knowledgeable so what does all that menu stuff mean. Called Canon, there is a manuel that needs to be downloaded and perhaps printed. Or at least read on your computer. Sucks. I'd pay for the damn thing but they dont even sell it.
Nice camera otherwise.

Updated

Found the manual on Ebay for $12. I was told many camera companies are doing this to save money. Cheap and anger provoking. If they just sold the manual separately I would have understood in advance. The argument could be made why should people who dont need it pay. Ok, up front then. Why make people like me sorry I bought Canon. They spend millions on customer relations and then do this, and no card, even a 8 gig card anything.
And whats with the camera strap, you need 2 degrees to figure out how to install it. Ok I found it on youtube, still a nighmare.

Still love the camera, can't wait to find out what it all does.