Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 711 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 785 reviews
on September 26, 2013
I have the professional Canon 5D Mark 2 camera with all the lenses, flash filters and everything else, but I needed a small camera for riding my motorcycle to events. After researching I settled on the Canon PowerShot SX510 HS, which I am glad I did. The first weekend I took over 300 photographs and I am extremely happy with this camera. I was really surprised at how small it is but it does take a nice 12 meg picture. For the price, I can't imagine using anything else.
99 comments| 420 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2014
Wow. This is a truly amazing little camera. I bought this to replace my Nikon Coolpix. I had my coolpix for just over 12 months when it broke, due to no fault of my own, and it was going to cost $150 to repair. Rather than repair a camera that I liked but didn't love, I decided to make a new purchase.

My initial intention was to purchase a Canon Rebel, I have used my mom's in the past and really love that camera. I loved using the interchangeable lenses and the ability to manually focus. Seeing the cost though ($500+,) plus the cost of additional lenses, it just wasn't in my price range at the moment and I needed a new camera urgently. If you're looking for a DSLR, do not expect this to function the same. It's a powerful little camera, but it is NOT a DSLR. If you're an amateur photographer and have no intention of taking a class to learn how to use the functions of a DSLR, this is a perfect camera for you.

So began my research. It became a toss up between the Canon SX510 and the Nikon L820. Reviewers were split between the two, some preferring the Nikon, some preferring the Canon. They seemed to come out about even except in a few minor categories, and having been very pleased with the Canon Rebel, I decided to go with the Canon despite it costing about $30 more than the Nikon.

Pro's-

*30x Optical zoom - awesome, no more grainy pictures of kids on stage during performances

*Built in wifi - go ahead and upload your pics to facebook, send them to your phone, or directly to your wireless printer.

*Manual setting - can do your own iso settings, white balance, shutter speed etc. The auto setting works fabulously in most cases, far better than any camera I've ever owned, but the option is there for those times it's just not adjusting quite how you want it.

*CMOS sensor provides for a clearer image, especially on the macro setting, than my own eyes give me.

*Zoom assist - for when you use your 30x zoom but lose your subject

*Size - for anyone that has gone hiking with a DSLR and multiple lenses, you know what a pain that can be. This lighter camera is perfect for running around and still has a lot of the qualities that you'd look for in a DSLR. So unless you're out taking professional shots, this comes in really handy

*Discreet mode - This is a setting on the dial, great for those events when there is no flash allowed. In this mode, the camera doesn't make noise when turning it on, nor does the flash go off. Even if the camera goes off and you turn it back on, because it is set on the dial, it doesn't reset itself. I've accidentally had my flash turned back on so many times that way on previous cameras.

Cons -

*Very poor manual - A lot of skipping around to get one thing done. IE Looking through the start up manual, it says "for instructions on attaching (the lens cap cord and neck strap) please see the user manual on the canon website" Granted, it wasn't difficult to figure out, but there was no clear spot for the lens cap cord, and it is something that should have been included in a "start-up" manual. Another example of a poor manual, referring to the downloadable pdf manual...say you want to learn how to use the miniature setting...so it says "miniature setting, pg 48" You go to pg 48 and it says to follow steps 1 and 2 on page 46....okay back to page 46, got that down, back to page 48. It seems to be this way when trying to learn how to access any of the features. I can't fault the actual camera for this, but definitely Canon. I actually made up my own cheat sheet for accessing my favorite features until I have it down.

*No ability to manually focus - Being that this camera is not a DSLR, I didn't expect or really even hope for this feature. I would have liked it, but for the $$, I definitely can't complain and will upgrade in the future.

*Mirrorless - I would definitely prefer to use a viewfinder, I am used to going without though, so it's easy to work around.

*No Raw Shooting - this feature doesn't apply to most people, but sometimes I prefer to use it

*No Touch Screen - This is taking time for me to get used to, I find myself constantly tapping the screen. My last 2 cameras, going back to 2010, have been touch screen, so I'm surprised to find this camera doesn't have one.

Some reviewers have complained about the difficulty of accessing the wifi, this was fairly easy for me and took about 15 minutes max. It's a little more work than it typically takes to connect a device to wifi,and you have to use the computer to do it, but it's still not overly difficult.

Despite the cons, I'm still incredibly impressed with this camera and it has definitely earned 5 stars when taking into account the type of camera, the construction, and the value. I'm very happy with this purchase despite the fact that I was hoping for my next camera to be the Rebel. I never imagined I'd get a camera of this level of quality for under $400. (I paid $229, could have bought a slightly cheaper one, but wanted one that was Amazon fulfilled and prime)
11 comment| 312 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2016
This helped me out a great def a great camera to record on I just started a youtube and I use this for my photos and videos and It looks great check it out if you wanna see if in action Youtube iiamkee21 Ill post a pic I took with this camera def a good starting out camera
review image review image
on February 28, 2015
I'm still learning the ins-and-outs but I can get great close-ups of birds when I am out birding - then I can come home and look in the book for the true identity - very helpful for a novice birder. I sort of with there was a cover for the back screen and I miss having an optical viewfinder since it is often hard to see the LCD viewer I certain light - you're really shooting blind. But I love the close-ups and ease of use.
on October 23, 2013
Great camera for travellers,, fast shooting ,, best thing i found is ,.. one can zoom while taking video.. which i have never found this feature in this type version of cameras before
11 comment| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2014
I wanted a camera that took awesome still shots and could shoot 1080P for my youtube projects. I thought I had struck gold with this camera, but unfortunately I was wrong. I tried recording videos over and over again and randomly, during the process, the camera would beep and stop recording. Confused and irritated, I looked online, tried contacting Canon for support (that was a waste of time) and kept looking for help on forums. Finally, I found a yahoo answers that explained what was happening. The sensor in the camera will start to overheat, or get close to overheating and stop recording to protect itself. Though it may be a nice feature to elongate the lifespan of your product, Canon really should have mentioned a LIMITED recording time on this product page. It just says "Capture beautiful 1080p full HD video in stereo sound with a dedicated movie button." When it should have said, "Capture beautiful 1080p full HD video in stereo sound for a few minutes, before I get too warm and switch off." Of course, that doesn't sound very appealing, now does it?

That being said, The image quality of the photos were absolutely awesome! So I'm very sad I'm returning this camera.

Pros - Great still shot quality and great build quality.

Cons - Shooting video with a sentient-like sensor that will just randomly shut off when it gets warm sucks, hardcore.
2525 comments| 259 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2014
Bough as a gift, arrived next day and was exactlyas advertised. Have had other Canon equipment and this is a good camera for someone experienced or a beginner.
on July 24, 2014
Canon PowerShot SX510 Review - I purchased this camera to replace my older Canon A570 point & shoot camera. I thought that this would be a upgrade and that it would be a getting a better camera but boy I was wrong. Yes the SX510 has a powerful 30X zoom lens with a 12.1 mega pixel sensor but boy it sure performs poorly. I took the same pictures with a my older Canon A570 and my old worn out A570 took better pictures. When zooming into a object approximately 500 feet away the object looked terrible and was so fuzzy and out of focus. Yes it has a 30X zoom lens but it is useless. Closer objects were a little bit sharper but still were not as clear as one would expect. All in all the Canon S510 was a disappointment and I had to return the camera.
on December 26, 2016
The product was advertised as a camera with a memory card, battery, and battery charger. The product arrived in a damaged box without a memory card, battery, or charger.
review image review image
on January 31, 2016
Works well for me and simple to operate. Would recommend.