Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Dot Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 23, 2012
This was a quality purchase and I did a huge amount of research as well as visiting and speaking with reps at both Best Buy and Frys. And I would've actually bought on Amazon had I had more time before going on vacation but I bought it at Frys Electronics.

First off, I did many comparisons to other Canons recently released. This camera has all of the features of the 320HS except for the WiFi and the touch screen. This camera is identical except for those two features. And at the time of this purchase, those features were $30 more on that camera. But I also considered that the possibility of hardware failures increases the more features you add. Also, I didn't want to "miss a moment" waiting for the lag of a touch screen. I wanted to be able to push a button and have the picture snap. I also hate giving the camera to someone to snap a group photo and them not knowing where to touch on the screen. The traditional shutter button was a plus in my book.

As for other features, I did a side by side comparison of the 520HS, 320HS, 310HS and 530HS. I opted for a higher resolution and a lower optical zoom because but with the Digic5 processor because, for casual photos, 5x optical should be sufficient. If I want to get a higher resolution with a greater optical zoom, I will just upgrade to a DSLR camera.

I've also owned Canon's for many years and I was happy with previous versions. With the 110HS I took a couple hundred shots on a recent vacation and several videos in HD. The videos came out great with good sound quality for a point and shoot. And the photos were exceptional for the price point.

Personally I also like the auto focus features and the fact that it seems to calculate exposures and makes adjustments when I don't have the flash on. I did find that turning the flash off gives a much more natural look and with it on my photo subjects seemed to run "hot" so I opted to have it off except in low light situations. The button configuration to toggle the flash on and off is both ergonomic and intuitive.

Additionally, the menus are standard Canon-type, so if you are used to them, you will enjoy a familiar interface. If you are not used to Canon cameras, it won't take long to learn.

Also, the quality of the hardware is good overall, but it does have a sort of plastic-ish feel. Not bad, as it keeps it lightweight, but be aware that some may find it chintzy feeling. I, personally, think it feels light and nice. The battery lasted for about 2 days taking a combination of videos and pictures but I always kept it off and in the storage case (for power conservation) when not in use.

Finally, I do have to admit again that I bought the camera at Fry's Electronics in Burbank due to the fact that I was going on vacation the very next day. I bought the SquareTrade warranty direct from SquareTrade, which I felt was a great deal for about $50 bucks for 3 years. It's the same on Amazon's site or going through them but you cannot get the 2 year warranty if you go through SquareTrade directly and it seems you can get 2 years full coverage on Amazon, which I would have preferred.

All in all, this is a quality camera with a reasonable battery life, good quality pictures and videos with an intuitive interface. I give it 5-stars and am very happy with my purchase.

PS: I also got a SDHC 16 gig card, class 10 and it seems to be pretty speedy. I'd recommend getting one of those or larger as this camera does not include storage. Also look at picking up some sort of a case. I bought a CaseLogic case with a plush interior (from K-Mart for $10) and am happy with that as well.
3838 comments| 886 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2012
I originally purchased as a gift the Canon PowerShot A3400 IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom 28mm Wide-Angle Lens with 720p HD Video Recording and 3.0-Inch Touch Panel LCD (RED BUNDLE) which included the red camera, a case, and a memory card.

Instead I ended up purchasing for her the Canon PowerShot ELPH 110 HS 16.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom 24mm Wide-Angle Lens and 1080p Full HD Video Recording (Silver) and returning the A3400.

Having been a Canon fan and owner for many years, since my first Elph, here were my reasons.

The 24mm wide angle zoom combined with 16.1 MP, DIGIC5, 1080P video, image stabilization, and 5x optical zoom, along with a great array of Canon special effects make this an unbeatable package in a Canon PowerShot Elph.

The 3-inch LCD is nice and bright at 461,000 pixels. It is pocket-sized at 3.67 x 2.24 x 0.79 in.

Overall, this camera produces snappy, bright, colorful shots in a surprising variety of lighting conditions, all in a tiny little package. It has fun effects like Toy Camera, Miniature, Sepia, and Black and White.

The Elph 110 HS records video in HD 1080p at 24 fps or 720p at 30 fps.

Who should get it:

* If you like to shoot in low light. (see note below)
* If you want to shoot HD video in 1080p
* If you want a wide angle lens, this one has a 24mm wide angle lens
* If you'd like a Super Slow Motion Movie Mode that records video at high speeds to allow playback in slow motion.
* If you want that "real film" feel - this one supports 24p movies
* The Elph 110 HS has a high resolution LCD screen

Battery life:

* Battery life is not the best I've seen - this camera is rated by Canon to get 170 shots out of a battery -- your experience may vary if you are shooting video. You may want to keep a spare battery on hand.

A note about photos in low light:

At first glance, the images appear to be good in low light. And for MOST purposes, it IS good in low light. But if I zoom in at an image to look at the details, I can see that finer details in the image are missing at higher ISOs. I use Photoshop though, so I zoom in really large on an image. Expect some detail missing if you are shooting in low light at higher ISOs. But for most general purposes, this camera will do fine in low light.

Some other cool features of this camera:

* Color Accent - You pick one color to accent in your picture, and leave the rest of the picture in black and white. You pick out the color that is present in your scene before you take the photo. Everything in your photo that is, say, the color red, will show up as red, and everything else will show up as black and white.

* Face ID Detection - Allows you to keep track of 12 faces (grouped as babies, children or adults), which you "register" by recording them with the camera. You can then search for photos with these people in them. For parents with babies, if the camera recognizes your baby is smiling, it will take 3 photos in rapid succession instead of a single shot. It has the ability to detect if your toddler is sleeping: if the camera detects this, it will turn off the flash and silence the shutter.

* Super Slow Motion Video Recording - great for recording video of sports events. It records at 120fps or 240fps and plays back at 30fps which gives the effect of slow motion. It only records at 640x480 or 320x240.

How it compares to other Canon Elphs:

The Elph 110 HS is very close to the Canon Elph 320 HS, except the Elph 320 HS has a touchscreen, wifi and a larger viewscreen. The Elph 110 HS has a slightly faster high-speed burst mode and is a little lighter.

The Elph 310 HS has an 8x zoom and has better macro. It can shoot at 3.5 fps continuous shooting vs the Elph 110 HS's 2 fps. The Elph 310 HS has DIGIC4 whereas the Elph 110 HS has DIGIC5. The 110 HS has the better 24 mm wide angle lens.

The Elph 520 HS has 10.1 MP, a 12x optical zoom, and a faster 1/4000 shutter speed than the Elph 110 HS. But it has the decreased MP and it doesn't have the wide angle lens of the 110 HS. The Elph 520 HS's aperture is also wider at f3.4, so it doesn't let in as much light.

The Elph 100 HS is slightly cheaper than the Elph 110 HS and has 12.1 MP and DIGIC4, slower shutter speed at 1/1,500, and about half as many dots on the LCD screen; however, its continuous shooting mode is 3.4 fps versus the 110 HS's 2 fps and in high-speed burst mode the Elph 100 HS is 8.2 fps versus 5.8 fps. The 110 HS has the wide angle lens; the 100 does not.

What's in the box:

* "Getting Started" Guide
* USB Interface Cable
* Wrist Strap

What you will need:

* Camera case, such as the Caselogic TBC-302 Ultra Compact Camera Case with Storage
* Memory, such as the Transcend 16 GB SDHC Class 10 Flash Memory Card TS16GSDHC10E
* A memory card reader or memory slot

Conclusion:

Overall the Elph 110 HS to me is the best point-and-shoot that Canon offers as of this writing that meets most needs at a reasonable price point. One could also consider, depending on what you are looking for in a camera, the Canon PowerShot ELPH 100 HS Digital Camera with 4X Optical Zoom or the Canon 320 HS. The A3400 is another good value if you can find it on sale, especially the "red bundle" (red camera, case plus memory card) which is currently being offered. Good luck in your quest to find the right camera for your needs.
55 comments| 332 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2015
I specifically purchased this camera after many months of research because I wanted high-quality video (1080p) and pictures. This camera exceeds my expectations. Easy-to-navigate menus help with setting up the camera and making adjustments as you are shooting. Some people want WiFi connectivity, touch screen, and geo-tagging... but I intentionally did not want all of this extra technology on my camera. I like my cameras to simply be a camera (and not a cell phone or other connected device). It fits very well in any pocket, making it readily available for those impromptu snapshots of the kids and family on any outing. I like that the camera has a dedicated video record button so I don't have to flip through menus in order to switch between stills and motion. I recommend this camera often to the people I know. One reason I purchased this particular model without the extras is because of it's slim profile (again, making it easy to fit in any pocket). This allows me to conveniently use it in addition to higher quality camera, e.g. DSLR or mirrorless. Although it is a point-and-shoot, I've used it for many personal and professional videos (product pics and short "commercial" videos) when paired with my Tascam DR-40 audio recorder (I suggest never using a camera's onboard/built-in microphones).
on May 31, 2012
I bought the 110 because it does not have the touch screen as on the 320. Screens fade with time and in direct sun light that could be a problem for my eyes. I like that you can shoot your pictures in 16:1 wide screen. When you use a picture for the back ground on your desk top it is not distorted or cut off. Also displays perfectly on a flatscreen tv. The pictures so far have been great. Ability to shoot HD movies is a nice plus. Every where you go on the internet people talk about how much better digital SLR cameras are. I like little cameras because I can have this in my pocket to use or not. No questions about why you are bringing a camera along and all that. It has been my experience that people are less shy about being in a photo when the camera is small. The camera does NOT come with a memory chip! Buy a class 10 SD XC Transcend chip. XC is a better choice over HC. 16GB is a good size. HD movies use huge amounts of memory. The way I understand it 16GB will hold about 1 hour of HD video clips and less if you already have pitures in the camera. Just an update 7/22/12...superfine compression does not seem to be availible in auto-mode? I can only select it in program-mode. My neice wants a camera for her birthday. No brainer for me, I just ordered her the same camera in red with a red case-logic case.
on January 14, 2014
Look there is a lot of snapshot cameras on the market. This showed up in consumer reports as a best buy. There is so much more to the story.. When I bought this camera it costed me 100.00$ This camera has a digic 5 chip in it for the image processing. The same as the pro cameras. As far as I can tell I think canon has stopped making these. And stopped putting the digic 5 into thier snapshot camera. Now this camera is selling for 200$ new if you can find it. It is just one of those little gems. The only thing I didn't like was it does have a bit of a slow shutter speed. Other than that you can even do Long Exposures. It has all the features of a DSL if you know how to work it. You can do upto 15 second shutter photo. This little guy fits in your pocket very easy and seems to work in all situations. Low light has been a bit of a problem for me, but not to bad all around. I brag about this camera after I show people photos I have taken with it.
Enthusiast: Petson January 3, 2014
This replaced my previous Elph which drowned. I forgot digital cameras can't swim in the ocean. Oh my...

This produces a GREAT picture quality (I've blown up photos to 20 inches with no pixelation at all), has a host of settings and features that makes it an impressive tool for capturing images in different lighting and locations (beach, mountain skiing, etc).

It charges well, and the retracting lens makes it very small and easy to carry in your pocket. I have a carrying case for extra batteries and memory cards, but when on vacation, I carry it around without the pouch. Just be careful in the sand.

Canon PowerShots have received rave reviews, and this one falls in line with the rest of the family exactly as it should. If I ever need a new camera, I'm looking at the PowerShot line again.

I LOVE everything about this camera. I really do. So will you.
on March 17, 2013
When I saw an optical zoom camera that actually fits in a shirt pocket on display at a local store, I came home and looked on Amazon. The Canon ELPH110HS was highly rated and relatively low-priced ($140). So I tried it. I am keeping it for occasional use due to its compactness, but it will not be replacing my Nikon S8200 (currently $210).

The ELPH110HS may satisfy you if price, size or weight are issues and you want something better than your phone's camera and video. However, the Nikon's image quality is noticeably better than the ELPH110HS. I tested both cameras by photographing a red apple on a shiny blue plate. I tried auto, close-up and landscape in natural daylight and with flash. In each case, the colors and depths of field were remarkably better from the Nikon S8200. In low light, the Nikon S8200 saved to SD card faster and there was more shutter delay from the ELPH110HS. To Canon's credit, the images are not bad, they just are not great without editing.

On the upside, the ELPH110HS took a good video in poor light (I do not shoot videos, so the video quality is not important to me). Uploading to Picasa was a cinch - I did not need to install Canon's software. Canon's anti-shake worked better than the S8200.
on November 27, 2012
I was looking for a good successor to my beloved Sony 8.1 megapixel point-and-shoot and found it here. This is my first dealing with Canon, and I am greatly impressed. This camera has a solid feel for something so small, easy user controls and very intuitive automatic features. Shooting video in 1080HD is fantastic and simple. It's very nice to have an HDMI connection built in to view everything on the big screen. Pictures and video always turn out great, even with a novice using the camera. At this price point I would have liked to see a Panorama feature (stitching multiple shots together in 180 or 360 degrees) like comparable Sony cameras can, but with all of Canon's other great attributes it certainly wasn't a deal breaker.
on March 23, 2013
I recently ruined the camera I was using--a Canon Powershot A3100 IS. I loved that camera and was sad when it was accidentally dropped and ruined. I was looking for a replacement and did quite a bit of research before settling on this model (Canon Powershot ELPH 110 HS). Most of the reviews for this model were very positive. I ran an online comparison between it and several other models and brands. I wanted a point & shoot because it's easier for me to use. (I have a form of rheumatoid arthritis) This camera is smaller than anything I've owned before, but I absolutely love it. One of the features that has impressed me and caught my eye on other reviews is the wide angle lens it possesses. This allows more light into each shot and the pictures I've taken so far have been impressive. They are crisp, clear, and the colors are extremely vivid. It's very similar to the Canon 3100 I owned, so figuring out how to use it has been a breeze.

If you are looking for a great point & shoot that takes clear shots with relative ease, this is the camera for you. I'm excited to try out the video feature--I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but with the grandkids coming this weekend, I'll be sure to give it a good workout.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on November 29, 2012
Great camera! Great price! I did extensive research when looking for a point and shoot. My family currently has 3 very good and 1 professional photographer, and we all use Canon. In my research I found this camera to be ranked 2nd and 3rd as the top models at this price point, boy were they wrong!

I was going on a road trip and didn't want to lug y camera bag and lenses and bodies around, packing and unpacking everything just for a quick shot of something as we flew by at 75 MPH. I was on the hunt for a point and shoot that had some cool features, didn't break the bank, would easily fit in my pants pocket and not make me look like I was smuggling grapefruit. I also didn't want to be upset if it was lost broken or otherwise go missing like Hoffa. At $130 I would notice it gone but not as painful as the couple thousand if my main camera swam wit the fishes.

This little green gem is beyond comparison. I can get effects with it that my DSLR will only do with the help of editing software and i can do it without looking like a tourist. One other surprise is after dropping it twice out of the car I have had no issues, thought I don't recommend you try it with yours.