Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 34 reviews
on January 18, 2014
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
The book has two parts:
• The first half is dedicated to the functions of the Canon Rebel XSi, and goes above and beyond the manual, so ignore the manual and start right with the book!
• The second half goes beyond the functional and discusses creative ways to produce excellent photos.

PROS:
• Many pictures help to illustrate the subject and give you many new ideas. After reading this, you will be inspired to go out and shoot some great photos!
• Easy read with clear explanation of all functions of DSLR cameras (much better than the frequently opaque Canon manual), applicable to any DSLR, not just the Canon XSi.
• It does this without dumbing down the subject or sacrificing accuracy in any way.
• It is complete, after reading this book you will know your camera.
• The second, creative part sweeps through all sorts of light situations, indoor and outdoor, that you might find yourself in and explains what to look out for.
• The intricacies of correctly balancing, ISO, aperture, exposure time, and later on flash power are explained in a logical, entertaining way.
• Many examples to follow the discussion and go out and try to reproduce yourself.

CONS:
• Occasional detour into stock photography, which somehow distracts from the main focus of the book. Those are only a paragraph here and there though, so not a big deal.
on December 12, 2010
This book is easy to read and almost always easy to understand. Tho far from professional, I've been using my Rebel XSi for 2 years, know more than the average beginner about photography and cameras and SLRs, and consider myself reasonably smart. The author of this guide hasn't quite lowered the level from algebra to plain old adding and subtracting. I'm reading the guide from cover to cover, but I do it at my computer because she often uses terms that the beginner would certainly not understand and I don't understand enough of them so it's annoying. I stay close to my computer to look up uncertain terms because too often they're not in the Glossary in the back of the book. Why not?

Things as simple as telling us an action isn't recommended if you're using a "super-telephoto" lens. Define "super". I have a 70-300mm. Is this super-telephoto? Had to look it up on a lens website to find out super-telephoto is 600mm or longer. On page 50, she states that "rear-focus optical design" lenses will focus faster than . . . Well, what's a rear-focus optical design lens? She references mirror-lockup in using the 10-second self-timer ("can be combined with mirror-lock-up") on page 52 and in combination with Automatic Exposure Bracketing on page 42. She tells you how to go to the custom menu feature to set up mirror lockup, but not what it is or what it's going to do for you in these instances. Mirror lockup isn't in the glossary. And it's not explained until the discussion of custom features 50+ pages later.

My point is, if this is a guide, then either explain uncommon terms or put them in the glossary. The back cover states that "If you're new to dSLRs, it makes the transition easy". That's not necessarily true. You do have to know a good bit about dSLRs to make your way thru this book without another reference.

Otherwise, it's well-written and in reasonably simple language and has already given me lots of AHA! moments. I would recommend it, but only to people who already are familiar with dSLRs. Or have ready access to a computer while going thru it the first time.
on October 15, 2009
It's been years since I've done much in the way of SLR photography -- my last camera was a CANON AE1 -- so when I purchased a new Rebel XSi, I knew I'd need some help getting up to speed with the new features available in the digital realm.

The CANON DIGITAL FIELD GUIDE is the perfect helpmate to the user guide. It provides step-by-step instructions for using virtually ever camera function along with detailed, full-color photos, and helpful tips on how to get the most out of your camera. It's written in a simple, direct, down-to-business style that gives you just the information you want (and need) without overdoing it. If you're new to DSLRs, you'll want to have this book with you as you explore the world through your Rebel lens.
on September 8, 2008
I went from a point and shoot to a Canon Rebel XSI SLR. It has been somewhat of an intimadating experience, but with the field guide book explaining so many features and settings, I can breath a sigh of relief.

It is well layed out and easy to read. The index covers all the necessary cross reference pages so a user can quickly find what he or she needs to operate the camera.

After reading the first couple of chapters, I am now ready to get off the Basic mode settings with confidence.
on October 28, 2013
My husband took over my old Rebel SLR and needed an easy and quick reference - can't go wrong with this guide because it covers everything. The book is laid out in a logical manner so it's easy to find the topic you're looking for. I bought the book used, and it looks almost new with minor wear.
on September 29, 2008
This book is a very good reference to use to learn the functions available for the XSi/450D camera. Much more user friendly than the instruction manual included by Canon with the camera.

Still full of lingo that the average user may not be familiar with. If there would be any improvements to this book, I would like to see a little more space devoted to describing and defining some of the more obscure photographic terms that the average user may not come across.
on June 8, 2015
Still working on the book but is much easier to understand than other books I have looked at. Will answer many questions and help me use this camera. Great guide!!
on April 7, 2009
I bought this after a recommendation from a friend. It came before I received my XSI so i had some time to review it and learn how to use the camera ahead of time. There's a lot of info and it's written sort of like a text book from school so its a real easy read. I recommend it if you're completely new to DSLRs in particular the canon models because it goes into enough detail to teach you how to use your camera properly.
on February 4, 2011
This book is very helpful when you want a plain spoken referance guide for your camera. While not as indepth as the owners manual that comes with the camera, this book is very easy to read and gives the reader non-technical instuctions. Those of you who prefer the more technical info the owners manual is for you, if you are looking for a referance to take with you this is the book.
on December 26, 2016