Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 822 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,028 reviews
on May 25, 2011
Final Update, 8/27/14

Even though this camera was released back in early 2011, it still is a wonderful and simple camera to use which delivers excellent image quality under any shooting conditions.

The camera has a glossy plastic finish which doesn't exactly exude quality or make it feel like a high-end camera. But construction on this camera is very tight. The plastic is light-weight but its not flimsy like you would expect. There is no rubberized handgrip, which I think was a mistake to omit this on this camera. Especially since its predecessor (and its competitors) have them. Outside of that, the hand grip is a very nice size. The one upshot to the lightweight plastic is that the camera feel very light with the kit lens attached.

One thing you have to watch out for is that the camera feels very out of balance when attaching a heavier lens. The Canon EF-S 18-200, while a good performer optically when paired with the T3, feels way too front heavy. And this will be true with a lot of the pro-grade Canon lenses that you attach to the T3. That said, this camera is a perfect DSLR for hiking due to its light-weight design (when used with the kit lens). It doesn't weigh you down or make you feel like you have a boat anchor around your neck.

The buttons and menu system have the typical degree of straight-forwardness found in most Canons. Canon's menu system is easy to learn and navigate through. That makes the T3 a good candidate for a student or someone that wants to learn photography in general and wants a camera they can grow with. Of course it offers full Auto mode but when you're ready to try and manipulate the more advanced manual controls, the Canon Rebel T3 is about as unintimidating as they come. It's also a great entry into the DSLR realm for hobbyists currently using an advanced point and shoot (and can be found for almost the same price as some advanced point and shoots).

With the exception of burst shooting, this camera's performance is excellent. Excellent start-up, shot-to-shot, and autofocus performance. It has 9 autofocus points compared to its predecessor's 7 points. I do not reccommend this camera as a budget action shooter. It has a slow continuous burst rate (2.7fps) and a very limited buffer. The Nikon D3200 shoots at 4 frames per second, but that is currently retailing for $200 more than the T3. So you'll have to decide whether or not that feature is important to you.

The camera comes with a nice, chunky battery which delivers excellent battery life. The viewfinder is 95% coverage and I found it to be satisfactory, some people say its really cramped but personally I think it's alright. The screen resolution is rather low at 230k, but in real-world use it's not as bad as you would think, and somewhat viewable in direct sunlight. I think both the viewfinder and the LCD are of better quality than the ones found on the Nikon D3100. And overall, the T3 is faster and more fluid than the D3100. After having shot with both cameras, I personally think the T3 is more enjoyable to shoot with... despite the D3100's better plastic and more advanced spec sheet.

The camera ships with the standard 18-55 kit lens but I suggest buying the kit which includes the additional 55-250 lens. The kit lens is sufficiently sharp but it might be worth investing in the newer 18-55 STM lens, as it is reportedly sharper than the 18-55 lens included with this camera.

Despite having a sensor that is of lower resolution than the newer Rebel SL1 and Rebel T5i (12 megapixels is still plenty for everyday use), the camera has image quality that pretty much matches or exceeds those cameras in most areas. It takes a very clean shots up to and including ISO1600 and has excellent dynamic range, color reproduction, and exposure. The camera does a nice job of balancing noise reduction with detail retention up through about ISO3200. And despite being 2 1/2 years old..it still competes very well with newer models on the image quality front.

The movie mode, while delivering solid video quality, is rather limited. It's 1280x720 HD and there are very limited manual controls. It's more like something you would use for quick clips rather than longer videos or movies. I think the Rebel T5i & SL1 are better choices if you're equal parts into videos and photos as they have far better video modes than the T3 does. But if you're main interest is stills photography, this probably won't matter much to you.

The Rebel T3 may not be the sexiest camera around but it is a simple, enjoyable camera to shoot with that delivers nice results with minimum effort and it appeals to a broad range of folks from DSLR newbies, to hobbyist, to even professionals looking for a light-weight backup to their higher end gear. At its current price, it is a great value and I highly reccomend it.

This camera was replaced by the Rebel T5 back in March. The T5 has a number of improvements over the T3. However.. image quality, autofocus performance, and battery life are not among them. Plus I have seen T3 kits at $300 or less lately. It's still a great buy even though it's a 3 1/2 year old camera at this point.
4747 comments| 1,895 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2011
I think the camera is an amazing buy for the money. I was able to unpack the contents & begin shooting good pictures IMMEDIATELY, using the fully automatic settings & the included partially charged battery. You will however, need to supply an SD Card as this is not included, not even a small one.

The menu was a LITTLE confusing at first, but I quickly got the gist of things and am taking good pictures with the camera. Having used the full-auto settings and just dabbling with the advanced settings, I'm very pleased with the purchase and I think anyone who is either new to DSLR cameras or who doesn't want to spend over $1000 for a 'pro' or 'prosumer' DSLR will also be very happy with it right out of the box... or ANY of the T series cameras for that matter.

If you're going to be shooting in RAW (or like I do in RAW+L) I recommend getting AT LEAST a 16GB card, if not a 32GB card. The included battery is a champ. It lasts a good long time & charges quickly. I was going to get a 2nd battery, but I don't think it's necessary at this time as it lasts for several hundred shots. The manual says it takes 2 hrs to charge a fully depleted battery, but the math doesn't work out that way. The included charger is portable & charges the included 860mAh Li-Ion battey at a 580mAh rate, so a full charge should be about 1.5hrs. I'll have to time it when I need a full charge & have the spare time to check it every 10 mins or so beyond the 1hr mark.

Only a few negatives:
* When using the fully automatic settings indoors the white balance is just a little off, but this is fairly common w/all brands in the entry-level range. It can easily be corrected in photoshop, or by manually choosing one of the white balance lighting scenarios (incandescent bulb, fluorescent, or sun) depending on your situation. My outdoor shots look great on full auto settings.

* Having not used an SLR type camera in a NUMBER of years (I've never owned a DSLR), I found that the manual it comes with is not very thorough, and neither is the larger PDF manual on the included CD. However; it's not Canon's job to teach you photography and therefore I think the manual is just adequate. The only real trouble I had was trying to figure out how to attach the included eyepiece cover when shooting on a tripod w/studio lighting using auto exposure settings... it's not explained anywhere. You need to slide off the cover that is there already (the eye cushion) and slide on the cover... duh! Cripes O Mighty! They explain how to attach the camera strap (like you really need to read that...), but not the eyepiece cover?! Those experienced with SLR photography don't need any more, those totally new are covered by both the instuctions & the quick-start guide; but, those in-between won't find the info they're looking for here... get this book: Canon EOS Rebel T3/1100D For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech))

* There is no memory card included. Even a tiny one would be appreciated for the completely new user to start shooting right away when buying the 'kit' version. It may be the 1st D-SLR for the majority of it's purchasers, but it's probably not anyone's 1st digital camera in general.. so you probably have one of these lying around already.

* A textured grip would be nice, but like the exclusion of a memory card, this is helping to keep the price down on this puppy.

In summary:
Is it a good camera for the $$: Yes, 4/5*
Is it a good camera in general: Yes, 4/5 (auto white balance could be better, textured grip would be nice)
Is the 'kit' worthwhile: Yes, 4/5 (including even a tiny SD Card would be nice for the camera newbie)
Good instructions: Barely, 3/5
Would I buy it again: YES(1)
Recommend to a friend: YES(1)
Overall rating: 4/5

* Revised due to recent price drop on T4i, see 4/6/2013 update at the bottom
(1) If you can't afford the T4i

**-- Update - 6/1/2012 --**

Took it to Jones Beach last weekend, for the Memorial Day airshow. After walking around to find some other Canon users, I learned how to use some of the manual settings in order to get shots of the fast-moving airplanes & jets flying around. I didn't need help in so much as how to change the settings on the camera... but more what settings I would need to be using.

Anyway... I got some GREAT shots! The only issue I had was my telephoto lens didn't have IS, so I had a very fast shutter speed manually entered to make up for any hand shaking. The result is that while the jet shots look great, I have stationary propellers on the older aircraft. That's not the fault of the camera, but of my inexpensive EF 75-300mm non-IS lens. Now if only someone can teach me how to use photoshop effectively :)

Here are just a couple of shots from that airshow: [...]

**-- UPDATE 4/6/2013 --**

OK, so I've had this camera for nearly 2 years now, and I'm still very happy with it. However; the T4i has come down quite a bit in price due to the announcement that it's being replaced by the T5i. Excellent timing for those of you looking to purchase a DSLR!! If you can spend a little more, I'd recommend the T4i over the T3 by a wide margin. Otherwise, T3 is still the way to go.

Here's why:

1. It's got the new DIGIC 5 Image Processor (Every other Rebel has DIGIC 4) - This is quite an improvement, especially with white balance.
2. More ISO options - in combo w/the new DIGIC 5, this is a pretty big deal
3. It's faster... can shoot up to 5.0 frames per second, continuously - That's a big deal if you shoot sports/action/aviation.
4. You get 18MP - That's fairly significant.
5. In-camera HDR Combines multiple exposures - You probably will want this feature, even if it doesn't interest you right now.
6. That little 'i' lets you use a wireless remote shutter release - may be significant, depends on what YOU need.
7. Slightly larger LCD (3" vs 2.7") that flips out - significant.
8. Touch screen - Mostly Bells & Whistles here, but reviews state it's very functional & intuitive.

To sum this all up, with the T4i you'd gain: better images/video, high ISO performance, touchscreen, less shutter lag, and a few other things. This camera offers many new technologies and additions from Canon that aren't seen on any other camera in their line up (including much pricier cameras like the 60D). If you're wondering about the upcoming T5i... it's the T4i with a new body sculpt, real-time preview of Creative Filters in Live View mode, and a redesigned new mode dial that turns 360 degrees... that's IT!! Same image quality & Features as the discontinued T4i!! By the way, the T4i (and upcoming T5i) outperform the much pricier 60D in terms of image quality (seriously, it does... 60D is getting long in the tooth now). The 60D's advantage is that it is weather sealed and has controls laid out more like a pro body (it has a rear dial just like the 7D, 5D, 1D bodies.) It was a clear upgrade over anything in the Rebel line until the T4i was introduced.

Regards,
Bill
review image review image review image review image
99 comments| 679 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2016
I've had this camera for four years now and it has been an absolute pleasure to work with in all that time. It was given to me by family as a present and was my first DSLR camera. It's a great entry level camera, and can produce wonderful images if you know how to work the system! Video quality is nice, although I wish it had included automatic focusing while filming. Colors are captured nicely, and there are a lot of prefigured settings as well as manual settings you can use to achieve your desired results. The focusing system was tack sharp in the beginning, though the camera always had difficulty in shooting evening/night scenes. More recently the focus has not been so sharp, and it takes a while to "hunt" for the focus point, which is why I prefer manual focusing. But, it has been through four years of continuous use, so I'll allow it that! Again, while it is an entry level camera, if you play around with it and are willing to get creative, it can yield fantastic photos! Only half of the images' success is in the camera after all- the other half lies with you the photographer!
on June 7, 2011
This is a great entry level DSLR. I have shot all recent canon DSLRs (7D, 60D, T2i, T3i...) and I'm looking for a light travel/casual shooting camera to upgrade my XSI. I thought the T3i was it, but after trying out this camera, I think this is the cam I was looking for. Have the cam for a few days now. The build quality is a little better than what I would expect from an entry level cam. It's nice and light. The menu is simple but still offers a lot of nice custom settings.

One thing to keep in mind is that the low resolution LCD doesn't always tell the whole story. My initial test photos look rather ordinary under this LCD. However, when I view them in my desktop, they are a lot nicer. In any case, that isn't a concern for me as the LCD is just for preview anyway.
Color/saturation is spot on. ISO performance is what surprised me. I took a photo in 3200ISO, uploaded it to my website (unprocessed) and ask my photography-savvy friends to guess what ISO it was. Most of them say 400 or 800, 2-3 stops off the mark. It's so amazing, the stock lens is now totally usable indoor.

Overall, I highly recommend this camera for first-time DSLR users or advance users who need a light walk-around or travel cam.
11 comment| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2017
If you're coming from a bridge or compact camera the heavy "clunk" of the shutter takes a bit to get used to. That's not why I subtracted a star since "clunkyness" is common to dslrs and you get used to it quickly. I subtracted a star because of the lack of a focus assist lamp. There is simply no way to focus in low light without an AF assist light and most are only found on huge hot shoe flashes. I want my camera compact at night as I roam the streets. Instead of focus assist Canon uses a set of triple flashes from the main flash (which startles people) then fires the flash with no way to turn it off and still have focus assist (which is so garish I don't want it anyway). My work around was to order the YONGNUO YN-622C-TX E-TTL Wireless Flash Controller for Canon (it has a flash assist lamp and lays low on the camera). To this the day (2017) Canon has not corrected this problem. Other than that it's a fine camera for low light. Do not be fooled by the red-eye reduction / self-timer lamp on the front of the body. What is really irksome is that the lamp is right where it's needed and a simple software update from Canon could activate it for AF assist.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
If you are using Live View with this camera focus is impossible. Live View (using the screen on the back) is more for macro (bug) and food shots. Another problem is the lens. You'll need a faster lens right away to be happy with this camera. For indoor and building shots you'll want the $149 Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens and for walking around sports/kid shots you'll want the $118 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens. A good substitute for the 50mm lens is the cheaper $55 Yongnuo EF YN 50mm F/1.8 lens. All three have very fast auto-focus. Buying lenses is what you do when you own a DSLR and there is no way around it....)
on August 13, 2012
If you're on the fence about buying this DSLR consider a few things. Firstly, what level of photographer do you think you are? If you can honestly look at your portfolio and say, "Wow, I'm a professional." Then why are you even reading this review? You should be fingering through reviews of much higher grade photographic equipment. However if you do believe that you are indeed, a beginner, then purchase this camera, it's an amazing deal. Be warned, this IS NOT, a professional level camera, if your shots look soft, it's more than likely the quality of the kit lens that comes with this camera. When opened to the widest aperture, pictures will be soft across the frame. The lens needs to be stopped down to at least f5.6 to achieve repairable sharpness. Also, don't be alarmed by the cheap feel of the T3, it's a sturdy, dependable body.
After a few months of practicing you'll surely be ready to move on to a different camera, and I don't blame you. The Canon T3 isn't amaizngly feature rich. But this is a great stepping stone to better cameras.
on December 26, 2012
I received the Rebel T3 as an early Christmas gift, and have been using it the past couple weeks. I am just getting into learning more about digital photography and the T3 is my first step into the world of DSLR camera. So far, I have been very impressed!

I don't know all the of the settings just yet, but I like that the LCD screen gives me a little hint as to what each photo mode is used for. I also like the fact that I can use the viewfinder or the screen to take photos - coming from a history of cameras that used the LCD screen, this has helped me make the transition to using the viewfinder, as I can still use the screen when I want to.

Battery life has been great - in the two weeks I have used it, I have yet to change or recharge the battery. The strap is a convenient accessory as well, though it's a little thick and doesn't feel all that comfortable on my neck.

The Rebel T3 has given me the best photos I have ever snapped and I am excited to continue using and learning more about this camera. I picked up a copy of Canon Rebel T3 for Dummies, and it's been a huge help!
on November 9, 2016
I haven't tested this product out but I just got it in the mail! It is more than I expected. It came with a neck strap, charger, battery and USB cable all for 229$ from TEXTBOOKRUSH! NO this is not sponsored and Im not getting paid for this opinion. Although I was expecting a T3i not a T3... but that's my fault for not reading the name correctly. Other than that Im happy with this product! IT DOESNT COME WITH A MEMORY CARD. Oh and I just ordered this 5 days ago and it barely came in the mail!
on May 11, 2014
I've been using this camera for over a couple of months now and I believe that it is great for anyone who wants to go into photography or just wants to take better family photos. But one thing I do advise is that you learn how the camera works, because it isn't just any regular point and shoot camera. I am a student who is interested in photography so I already know how to use SLR cameras, but for a person who is inexperienced or isn't as knowledgeable with SLR cameras, I think you should buy it with caution or awareness that you will need to either play around with it or just ask your local camera store for help, because even I am learning new and new things as I start using this more. Overall, I think this camera is definitely a must!!!! I appreciated the fact that I also received a camera case, an SD card, and the plug to go with the camera, because I know some sellers make you pay for those items separately.
on January 28, 2012
Before I buy a product I always check the reviews to see what other owners of the product have seen with the product. Before I bought the camera I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews. All of the reviews were 5 stars and I was impressed with what I saw through the reviews, so I ordered it. When I received it, I was so impressed with it, I have never worked with a better camera. I am in video production, and the video on this camera is amazing. Wonderful camera! If you are reading this before you buy one, this is way better than the Canon 20d. This a great deal! Go ahead and get it! I love the camera. Thank you for reading.

Nathan Johnson