Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon Remote Switch RS60 E3
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on January 11, 2006
If you plan on taking any photos requiring longer exposure times (particularly "bulb-mode" photographs in which the shutter remains open until you close it), you need this accessory for your camera.

Though the cord is shorter than would be desired, a quick trip to any electronics store should provide a simple solution in an extension: a 3/32" stereo extension cord, or a 1/8" cord with adapters to 3/32". As these can be had for well under $10, you can easily extend the reach of the shutter release beyond what Canon provided.
99 comments| 326 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2006
While Canon products at times have a price markup for items that bare the label (like Harley Davidson products) there are a few gems that are good deals at the price point. The Canon backpack and the 50mm 1.8 lens are examples of good deals. This switch also belongs in the 'worth the price' category.

The switch connects into the side of the Rebel XT. The female receptor on the camera is underneath a rubber cover. The cover folds back awkwardly/protrudes when the switch is connected. This is mildly annoying, but not a big deal.

The switch is simple yet effective: half push for focus, full push to take the picture, or push the switch forward to lock the shutter open (for night shots, lightning, etc.). When pressed forward, the shutter remains open until you pull the switch back into place. You don't have to hold the switch open as it locks once it is slid forward.

The switch can activate the shutter either in the single shot mode or the time delay mode. Single shot or time delay are set on the camera, not on the switch.

In single shot the shutter is activated as soon as the button is fully pressed. In time delay, fully pressing the button starts the 10-second countdown prior to the picture being snapped (time to run in front of the camera for family or self-portraits).

For macro shots, night shots, or shots in which minimal or no camera shake is permissible this inexpensive device is quite useful.

Finally, it has little notches built in to the side of its body to help hold the cable securely against the body when the cable is wrapped up for storage. It also has a slot to plug in the male attachment (the part that plugs into the camera) built into the body for convenience in storage and to protect the connector when not in use.

I'm glad I bought it.
77 comments| 285 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2002
What would I do without my remote switch? I would cry real tears. I bought it for nighttime photography and long exposures without camera shake but I use it for almost everything. Even portraiture benefits from this nifty little tool as subjects can be fooled into relaxing their faces while one is not behind the lens. I would have given it five stars but the cord is slightly shorter than I would like.
on July 4, 2012
This item works with the Entry level DSLR cameras like Canon Rebel T2i, XT, XTi, XSi, XS, T1i, EOS 550D/1000D/450D/400D/350D/300D but not all EOS cameras.

The product is not for all EOS family of cameras - as mentioned in the description. This is misleading at first for a beginner.

This will NOT work with Canon EOS 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 5D, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 7D, 1D, 1Ds Mark II, III, IV cameras. These cameras have the same Shutter release slot Canon RS-80N3. Make sure to find the one right for your EOS camera.

I hope this will help and save some of the return hassle for this item.
44 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 23, 2007
I'll start off by saying that this item IS compatible with the Rebel XTi (I've seen conflicting information floating around).

I just recently purchased my XTi and noticed that even when using a tripod that my pictures would come out slightly blurred a lot of the time - I'm assuming this is from the vibration when pressing and releasing the shutter button. This made long-exposes such as night photography difficult for me and often left me disappointed with the results.

Fortunately I found this great item! It plugs into the side of the camera by the USB connector and features basic controls (half click, full click, and the ability to click and lock the button).

One of the first things you'll notice is the short cord - something almost every single review has mentioned but I really didn't think it would be THAT short - this is both a Pro and a Con.. A "Pro" because it doesnt leave lots of slack that can become tangled or drop loosely to the ground but also a "Con" because you still need to remain relatively close to the camera for this to function.. If you're dealing with Macro (up-close) photography with live animals it would be nice to set the camera up and sit 5-10 feet away and remotely trigger the camera without being close enough to scare them away. Another time a long cord would be nice would be for self-photography and to place a camera in a place which is otherwise not reasonable for you to get to (such as a high location, on a roof, in a tree, etc..)

Apparently you can get a little "Do it yourself" with this item and splice a longer cable onto it if you feel the need. They also sell a wireless remote which is probably even better for these needs but you have to keep a direct connection between the camera and the remote).

Back to this remote switch though:

By half-pressing the remote, the camera will autofocus (much as it does when half-pressing the shutter button on the actual camera) and fully pressing it will release the shutter and snap a picture.

The part that becomes quite nice is the "Lock" function. This lets you lock the button down (done by full-clicking and sliding the button to the side) for as long as you want while the shutter remains open - this means you can lock it for 5 minutes for pinhole photography or night shots - something you would otherwise need to keep your finger on the shutter release button for (which will almost always cause some vibration/shaky pictures).

You do this by setting the exposure time to "Bulb" mode (from what I can tell, its only available in [M] mode on the XTi).

A very excellent remote switch that is more than worth the $20-30 selling price (just don't tell canon!) - If I could make one change it would be to have the camera use a replaceable cable so that you could easily unplug the 2 foot one and replace it with a 5 or 10 foot one since it appears to just be a standard audio cable.

All-in-all, a must-buy which is also very affordable!
33 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2014
I purchased this switch from HBINGO (fulfilled by Amazon) and it doesn't work and you can't return it.

I went to the Canon USA website and bought the same switch directly from Canon and received it today. I was shocked. After getting off the telephone just now with Canon, it appears that the switch I received from Amazon is a counterfeit.

The image on the item box is BLURRY...that's the first hint something is wrong. The box itself is not a glossy-finish box, that's the second hint something is wrong. The switch doesn't work properly, another hint. The trigger button on the counterfeit is a flat black whereas the trigger button on the genuine Canon product is a glossy black. The best one of all, the model number printed on the counterfeit switch has the dash in the wrong place. Instead of the model number reading RS-60E3, it reads RS60-E3 and the silk screen on the counterfeit is blurry whereas on the genuine Canon product it's crisp and very clear. For some reason I cannot add images to this WARNING MESSAGE.
review image review image review image
on February 20, 2006
I had the wireless remote, but I had to get my hand in front of the camera so the IR connects the IR receiver in the camera, and gives the camera the command to release the shutter... (NOT Convenient)... but with this, I was freed to take shots from any place, and not shaking the camera when it was on the tripod.

TIP: there is an option in the Canon 350D (A.K.A. Rebel X) that locks the shutter once you click the first time, so when you click again to take the shot, there will be ZERO shake (Because the Shutter does shake the camera when you take a macro shot)
on June 20, 2005
Besides that the cable is somewhat short, this remote works extremely well. I also bought the Canon Wireless Remote Control RC1 which doesn't work well at all and only when it's held close to the camera and in a specific angle.....I do recommend this over the wireless one...
on April 21, 2014
I bought this unit for my Rebel T5i camera. I checked throughly the compatibility and it is OK. However, when I connected it to the camera, nothing would happen.I noticed that while inserting and removing the plug from the socket, the LCD briefly displayed some information, so something was happening. Knowing that this is simply a switch, I cheched its functioning with a continuity meter, and sure enough, the shield was seemingly not connected.
My product was still under warranty, but living in Brazil, it was going to cost me more to send it to repair than it would cost me to make a DIY unit. At least I could try to salvage the cable...
By opening the unit, I found that the shield wasn't at all connected to its tab, There wasn't even a hint of a proper connection, the tab was clean as new. In just a few minutes, I had the connection repaired and the unit is now working as it should.
I uploaded a photo of the open unit showing how I found it. Check in the user's pictures.
Shame on you, Canon, for charging so much for such a simple mechanical switch and not even having it soldered properly!!!! Although it now works, I am giving you only 1 star for the high price, low quality and for having to troubleshoot it myself.
review image
on September 5, 2007
I wanted a shutter release for my EOS Digital Rebel XT, and that's exactly what this product provides. I give it four stars instead of five because of the short cable on this device, which is not very useful or practical.

However, I did take the advice of John Nolley II (January 11, 2006) and purchased a 16-Ft extension cable and adapters, which works perfectly.

Here are the part numbers from Radio Shack:
- Part# 42-2493: Audio Extension Cable (16-Ft, Shielded) - $12.99*
- Part# 274-373: 1/8" to 3/32" adapter (for the end that plugs into camera) - $5.49
- Part# 274-397: 3/32" to 1/8" adapter (for the end that remote plugs into) - $3.99

*I think the 8-Ft cable was $7.99 (instead of the $12.99 for the 16-Ft one).

All total (before tax) - $22.47, which is a bit more than the $10 cited by John, but still totally doable (and I did not bother comparison shopping). It brings my total (remote plus cables etc.) to about $50. Worth it? I think so, since, as far as I know, there is not an existing Canon shutter release with a longer cable. Others may disagree. So far, I am quite satisfied with this product.