Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Style: w/ 18-55mm lens|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$507.98+ Free shipping

Showing 1-10 of 1,703 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,006 reviews
on November 30, 2014
If you're hesitant about entering the DSLR field, start here. I've had this camera for a few months (before I just had a point and shoot) and it has blown my expectations out of the water. The kit 18-55mm lens is a great starting point, as well. One thing I love about this camera is that just about anybody can use it. The menus can be a little confusing and hard to navigate at first, but anybody who's spent more than a few minutes with a Canon before will easily be able to pick it up and shoot right away. I almost always shoot in M, Av or Tv, but it's easy to set the camera to auto and hand it to a not-so-tech-savvy friend and have them take some beautiful shots right away.

Of course, I can't finish a review without hitting on the excellent movie mode on the T3i. You can expect beautiful, tact-sharp full HD video every time. A variable ND filter definitely helps in exceptionally bright environments, but even without, the movie mode is just gorgeous. (I should mention that the on-camera microphone is pretty good, but a cheap shotgun mic on top drastically increases the sound quality.)

The screen is also great. If you spend a lot of time looking at your pictures in camera (i.e. not on a computer), the T4i or newest T5i might be better for you as they have touch-screen functions. That being said, the display on the T3i does complete justice to the beautiful pictures that you'll take. Not to mention that the tilting and flippability (it's a word, okay?) makes it extremely versatile.

Something that I was concerned about when I first got this camera is the battery life. In short, it get's the job done. You'll easily get a few hundred shots out before recharging (which is pretty quick). I've cut it close a few times, but never completely drained the single included battery. If you take lots of video, however, it can take a hard hit of battery life, so keep that in mind.

All things considered, this is one of my favorite possessions. It comes everywhere with me, and never fails to capture every moment in stunning detail. Five stars.
on May 13, 2017
Amazon tells me I purchased this item on March 17, 2011. 6 years later, I love this camera. Paired with a Canon 430EX II, I consider it my "old reliable" camera. When used by someone who knows what they are doing, it nearly always produces sharp and clear photos. I mainly use it at my daughter's elementary school and the pictures I can take with it impress the teachers enough for them to ask for me to be their photographer. There are other parents with better equipment (Nikon 7000) but this camera is good enough.

I recently upgraded to a Canon 80D. The autofocus is better and this is an important difference when taking photos of small children. The sensor does better with low light (but I use flash most of the time) and the two custom modes are convenient. The difference between 18 megapixels and 24 megapixels does not matter to me. Even 12 megapixels would be fine. All things considered, I could have easily put off the upgrade for a year or two.

If you're on a budget and can buy a used T3i, it's an excellent camera to start with.

I got a nice photo of a bald eagle.
on October 14, 2016
Bought it as an upgrade for my XTi and it's been a great camera. Made 1000's of pictures with it and generally good quality.
I use it mostly with the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM SLR Lens, on occasion i use the 55-250mm with IS.

I bought it for 499$ on black friday when the normal price was 599$ and i bought it with kit lens simply because the body only price was more expensive (weird but true). I've never used the kit lens as i had my other lenses already. I have the old 18-55mm without IS and used it a lot when i just got my XTi but as soon as i upgraded my lenses i've never used it again, lenses do make more difference than the camera.

I liked the T3i over the XTI for the rotating screen (handy for some shots where you can easily reach the eye piece). I sometimes use it in live mode but usually use the eye piece. It's a bit slower in focusing when you use the screen, at least that's my feeling.

Less fun is that it has different batteries and battery grip but their prices have come down.
on December 27, 2011
I received this camera as a Christmas present. I already have the Canon T1i and have used it and loved it and thought that it would take a lot to beat it but the T3i has. Using the kit lens from my T1i which is basically the same lens available with the T3i I took fantastic low light shots of my daughter's Christmas tree without a flash. I used the "P" setting with auto ISO and was very happy with the results. I used a Tamaron 18-270 MM lens to take some low light shots of my house and the Christmas lights and again was amazed at the results. Noise levels at even high ISO are very minimal and can be cleaned up with a good editing program. I have yet to explore all the features of this camera or use the HD video feature but if it is as good as the results I have already seen, it will be amazing. I am retired and have taken up digital photography as a hobby and while I am no expert or even close, I do consider myself to be an informed amateur and always research any camera before purchase so when I received this from my wife without my input I was a bit surprised but seeing the results very very happy. The camera can be used by someone new to a DSLR with great results and I am sure that someone who is familiar with all the bells and whistles this camera has will produce amazing results. I used the T1i while my friend used a Canon 1D and I feel my pictures where as good as his despite that the 1D is a superior camera so I am sure that the T3i will produce even better results. I would recommend that any person interested in a great DSLR purchase this camera. I also suggest that while the kit lens does a great job you invest in at least one good zoom lens that will expand your ability to take fantastic pictures.
on April 8, 2014
I bought this around thanksgiving as a huge surprise gift from myself and a bunch of other friends for another of our friends, she was a fantastic photographer, down on her luck and living paycheck to paycheck working off of a not so fantastic little point and shoot. We all planned to get together and buy her this camera and we made a whole big ordeal out of it when she would be receiving it and it ARRIVED EARLY to my very great surprise and excitement! I was so excited that I couldn't wait any longer and I buried it in mounts of tissue paper and ribbons and headed to work to give it to her. We told her mother what we had done and she started crying right on the spot nearly ruining the surprise. At first when we gave her the present she thought it was a joke, her family didn't give each other presents and she was extremely unused to people doing genuinely nice things for her for no reason, threw the tissue paper around at everyone and then she got to the box and when she opened it she froze and just started bawling her eyes out. It was the happiest I have ever seen her, and every time she looks at that camera I see how excited she is and how happy it makes her that she can photograph everything how she really wanted. This camera ended up being wonderful and I hope it makes everyone else as happy as it did her. :)
on February 20, 2014
I love this camera! It's well worth updating from the XSi (450D). Don't let the "experts" tell you it's the photographer not the camera. The difference between the quality is *very* noticeable. I was never really happy with the images I got from the 450D. I'm extremely glad that I decided to upgrade.

I wouldn't recommend buying it for use as a video camera. Focusing issues, playback issues, and be aware you need to make sure you are using the correct memory card or it won't work right. That's about the only 'con' I can think of (but I don't care much about video so it doesn't bother me). The 18 MP and high available ISO make this camera very good for those who enjoy low light photography. The articulated screen is nice, not necessarily a must-have, but useful in certain circumstances. In conclusion I don't think you'll be sorry for buying this camera.
on June 11, 2014
This is my dad's account but I pay the payments & the camera is for me so I wanted to write the review. :) I am so much more impressed with this camera than I expected. I researched so many different options from brand to price and everything in between but I always came back to the Canon. I just started getting into to photography and my previous camera was more of a point and shoot type deal. I knew in order to really help my skills that I needed a quality DSLR camera (and a photography class). Any who, enough blabber, onto the camera.
The shortest summary I can give is simply the title of this review: Wow. A friend of mine has this camera and I remember being extremely envious of the amazing pictures she was taking. I know the price is a little steep especially if you are a beginner but if you know that this isn't just going to be passing hobby the camera is more than worth it.
It has an easy auto mode so literally as soon as you get the camera and get the initial setup over you can start taking pictures. The auto mode is great if you are just snapping pictures on a trail or something and don't have the time to stop and mess with ISO, shutter speed etc. Not to mention the camera has several other modes and the 18-55mm lens has a stabilizer so taking shots while walking is not entirely impossible. By far my favorite mode is the Creative Auto feature. It gives you freedom to turn off the flash or make the picture more vivid but still takes care of the more complicated settings that take practice to get a quality picture. The close up feature is another favorite. The pictures come out so clear and amazing. The flip out screen is yet another feature of this camera that I love. I was able to take some awesome pictures at a concert recently by holding up the camera and just tilting the screen down so I could see.
The only complaint I have about this camera isn't even a complaint really it's just getting the neck strap on was kind of a pain and it isn't padded so if you have it on for a long period of time it does get kind of irritating (though that is a simple fix of just buying a separate strap). That is the only negative thing I have to say.
In summary this camera is incredible from a beginner's point of view. I can't speak for how fit it would be for a professional. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to get into photography or just to start taking better pictures of family,vacations, or other life events. I look forward to buying other products for the camera from Canon. Truly amazing.
:D
on November 7, 2013
I really like this camera - mostly because it's my first DSLR and I really like what it can do. I did take a basic photography course to teach me how to use it which was highly useful. If you've had a Canon before, the basic menu and layout are similar to your previous cameras. This is one of the reasons why I wanted to stick with Canon since I was already familiar with it. In general it works great and the pictures are good. Of course a camera is only as good as the photographer and since I am an amateur I can't really comment on all the details like I'm sure others can.

I knocked it down one star b/c I've owned it less than a year and I've had to send it back for a repair that I hope is covered by warranty. The flash isn't working at all in auto mode. It pops up and fire but the pictures all come out underexposed. If I manually lower the flash after it pops up, the pictures come out fine. There's something wrong...just don't know what exactly so they're looking into it for me. I will come back and update on their customer service once I find out what they're able to do to fix it.

ETA: Got my camera back from Canon in perfect working order. Since I was still within the one year warranty, I mailed it to them (on my dime but it was only around $12) to be repaired. The repair was covered under warranty and I now have my camera back! Yay! I'm so excited.
on July 17, 2012
I love this camera and Canon products in general, however it has some issues. The issues did not happen straight away. On the second day of shooting is when the trouble started. I make no claim to be a professional photographer, this review is an opinion of a photo hobbyist. So after shooting around a 180 pictures mostly with the view finder the camera went dead no power to the unit. I also had an error code display, I can't say for sure that I could see the entire code, but the camera stopped working. When this happened I removed the battery, and placed it back in the camera, and then the camera powered on. It performed flawlessly for about 20 or more shots. The shots I took looked amazing but I also had some bad shots. I will take credit for the bad shots it was not the fault of the camera. When I was finished shooting, I removed the camera battery and placed it in the charger. The very next day I went for a photo shoot. I shoot mostly view finder,I shot about 200 photos this time. When I was finished shooting I turned the camera off. Sometime later I went to use the camera again, I turned the camera on, and no responded. I removed the battery, and charged it, when it was fully charged I placed the battery in the camera and it worked just fine. I have not used the camera since. I'm concerned with the camera , I bought the camera to use on a family vacation. I don't want to have my camera fail on my vacation, so the following morning I called Amazon Customer Service. I explain my situation with the camera. Amazon is sending me a new camera, expedited shipping it will be here on Wednesday. I will rate this camera with 4 stars. I will subtract one star for being unreliable, I really love this camera , and hope the next one will be problem free. I could have just received a lemon I understand that. Would I recommend this camera to someone else despite its shortcomings. The answer is yes, however my tune my change if I receive another unit with the same issues. Well if that happens I will cut my loses and get a refund sad to say. I owned many Canon cameras both film, and digital and all of those examples performed flawlessly. Until then I will wait with anticipation for the new unit to arrive. I rate 5 stars to Amazons customer service they always shine in my eyes. More to follow and, hopefully the next review will be great.
Sincerely Robert
on November 27, 2013
The camera is a gift for Christmas. I can not review it for that reason but would like to make sure you are all aware of the freebies and discounts that come with the purchase of this item. Scroll down just below the description of the camera and you will find this verbiage........"Purchase This Camera and Take Advantage of Any or All of the Following Promotions. Free camera bag, 16 GB memory card, monopod, and up to $300 off select Canon lenses."

These items are all free (EXCEPT THE LENSES) but the discounts on the lenses are HUGE. Don't miss out on the freebies if your spending the money on the camera. It is easy to miss and is not offered again in your shopping cart. Look the camera page over good. You'll find the offer.
44 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse