Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Moonlight Moonlight Moonlight  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno

Style: w/ 18-55mm lens|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$507.98+ Free shipping

Showing 1-10 of 203 reviews(4 star, Verified Purchases). See all 2,006 reviews
on November 7, 2013
I really like this camera - mostly because it's my first DSLR and I really like what it can do. I did take a basic photography course to teach me how to use it which was highly useful. If you've had a Canon before, the basic menu and layout are similar to your previous cameras. This is one of the reasons why I wanted to stick with Canon since I was already familiar with it. In general it works great and the pictures are good. Of course a camera is only as good as the photographer and since I am an amateur I can't really comment on all the details like I'm sure others can.

I knocked it down one star b/c I've owned it less than a year and I've had to send it back for a repair that I hope is covered by warranty. The flash isn't working at all in auto mode. It pops up and fire but the pictures all come out underexposed. If I manually lower the flash after it pops up, the pictures come out fine. There's something wrong...just don't know what exactly so they're looking into it for me. I will come back and update on their customer service once I find out what they're able to do to fix it.

ETA: Got my camera back from Canon in perfect working order. Since I was still within the one year warranty, I mailed it to them (on my dime but it was only around $12) to be repaired. The repair was covered under warranty and I now have my camera back! Yay! I'm so excited.
on July 17, 2012
I love this camera and Canon products in general, however it has some issues. The issues did not happen straight away. On the second day of shooting is when the trouble started. I make no claim to be a professional photographer, this review is an opinion of a photo hobbyist. So after shooting around a 180 pictures mostly with the view finder the camera went dead no power to the unit. I also had an error code display, I can't say for sure that I could see the entire code, but the camera stopped working. When this happened I removed the battery, and placed it back in the camera, and then the camera powered on. It performed flawlessly for about 20 or more shots. The shots I took looked amazing but I also had some bad shots. I will take credit for the bad shots it was not the fault of the camera. When I was finished shooting, I removed the camera battery and placed it in the charger. The very next day I went for a photo shoot. I shoot mostly view finder,I shot about 200 photos this time. When I was finished shooting I turned the camera off. Sometime later I went to use the camera again, I turned the camera on, and no responded. I removed the battery, and charged it, when it was fully charged I placed the battery in the camera and it worked just fine. I have not used the camera since. I'm concerned with the camera , I bought the camera to use on a family vacation. I don't want to have my camera fail on my vacation, so the following morning I called Amazon Customer Service. I explain my situation with the camera. Amazon is sending me a new camera, expedited shipping it will be here on Wednesday. I will rate this camera with 4 stars. I will subtract one star for being unreliable, I really love this camera , and hope the next one will be problem free. I could have just received a lemon I understand that. Would I recommend this camera to someone else despite its shortcomings. The answer is yes, however my tune my change if I receive another unit with the same issues. Well if that happens I will cut my loses and get a refund sad to say. I owned many Canon cameras both film, and digital and all of those examples performed flawlessly. Until then I will wait with anticipation for the new unit to arrive. I rate 5 stars to Amazons customer service they always shine in my eyes. More to follow and, hopefully the next review will be great.
Sincerely Robert
on May 12, 2014
The Canon Rebel T3i was purchased as a primary camera, the major reason was price and articulating monitor was the secondary reason. As an older amateur photographer those ground level shots presented somewhat of a challenge, hopefully the monitor will mitigate that issue. Preliminary use in bright sun was not encouraging though as the monitor was hard to see when it was folded out. There are still several vantage points to be pursued. This camera has all of the considerations one might look for in a good DSLR starter! One might ask why after having owned the T2i would one not go on to a 7D kit package and that would be a good question. Most, if not all of the Canon references (along with Nikon) suggest putting money into the best lens available rather then a camera for the time being. The original camera came as a kit with two lens, a 18-70mm and a 70-300mm. Both lens will work with any of the upper grade crop cameras as well as any additions to the "tool box" along the way. I suspect the T3i will meet all current expectations and will update this review sometime after summer 2014. If you are a beginning photographer you will want to consider this camera. Stay Tuned there is more to come on the T3i.
on June 22, 2012
I purchased this as both an upgrade for stills and to compliment my Canon HF G10 for video. I'll start by saying that it's a great still camera - no surprises really. It's as good as the other entry level Canon's. The "creative" features are a little silly if you ask me, but easily ignored.

Video: The quality (using my 85mm 1.8) truly is outstanding. Go watch some semi-pro stuff on Vimeo - this camera can hang with most stuff there. Manual focusing is a real trick - and on that alone, I would not recommend this as a video camera for the casual videographer. I wish there were some settings between Auto and Manual (like aperture priority, shutter priority, etc). Full manual is simply too much work for many situations, and the full auto leaves something to be desired. I also wish they had put more energy into the audio. You cannot monitor the audio while recording (with either headphones or even audio levels). A level is visible while setting the record level, but not while recording. This oversight really puts a damper on the camera for me, and I have a hard time believing that it would really have increased the cost too much to simply add a headphone jack.

I use the Rode VMP, and have had some difficulty getting the audio just right. The onboard mic is garbage. I have not gotten around to trying my other mics (lapel, wireless). Get ready to spend a lot of time getting the settings just right.

Still, my overall opinion of the camera is good. I intend to use it to compliment the G10 (a terrific all around video camera). The T3i does static shots very well (think: interviews). The depth of field available is amazing and it performs well for artistic shots (just be prepared to spend time learning how to follow focus). As to general video shooting and anything handheld, I'll stick to my G10.

UPDATE: I'm quickly becoming spoiled by the quality of the video on the T3i. I find that I rarely use the G10 anymore. The quality of the video on this DSLR is really something and I've got the VMP figured out (+20 gain on the mic, and manual audio on the camera set at 8 or 9 clicks above zero). I also shoot exclusively in 24p. On the T3i, this is amazing. I do find that I'm switching back and forth between a 1.4 30mm and the 1.8 85mm a lot (it's way harder to just move back and forth with video than with stills). Still, it's all about the prime lens with this camera. I'd recommend at least getting a cheap 1.8 50mm.
on August 7, 2011
Since I have switched from Nikon to Canon, a lot of my review is based on comparison to Nikon.
Pros:
Canon service is apparently better than nikon. Will edit this if this does not turn out to be true. My switch was mostly due to pathetic nikon warranty service.
The IS works really well and I think better than nikon's which I had tried for a week with a borrowed D5000.
Digital 3x zoom in video mode.
The 430EX II external flash can be supported by the camera wirelessly. On nikon's this is only true for the more expensive SB800s flashes.

Cons:
Auto focus in "live view" mode (seeing through the lcd instead of the viewfinder) is extremely slow. Makes me not ever wanting to use it.
Most canon lenses have loud autofocus motors. The lenses with the nicer USM AF motors are too expensive.
No mode in canon to set Av mode and set min shutter speed while letting the camera pick the ISO. Standard in Nikons. Canon seems to pick the shutter speed based on the zoom (focal length selected).
White balance in Full auto mode sometimes messes up. Some pictures came out blue-ish.
No good priced "normal" 50mm/35mm lens available. There is only one 50mm el-cheapo which apparently looks extremely cheap but I will buy it anyway.

I upgraded from nikon D50 to this. So of course the pictures are much much better.

In hindsight, The nikon D5100 has a better (larger DX sensor vs canon APS sized sensor) sensor. So less noise on the Nikon.

Also, I think that video modes in SLR cameras are fairly useless unless you are good with manual focussing and use the tripod. BTW, the lens IS does work in video mode.

I will edit this review as I play with this camera more. The 18-135 lens is nice but a bit large. Maybe its large thats why the image quality is very good.
on December 1, 2011
I could go on and on about the picture quality of the DSLR, but I'm sure anyone looking to buy one already knows about all those things. I will instead focus on the camera itself (the hardware/software) instead of the picture quality, which is SUPERB.

PROS:
The sheer amount of features allowed is nice. As my first DSLR, I can only judge this camera against point and shoots.

Everything can be tweaked and tuned as expected in a DSLR, but it also has a "auto" mode, which is nice when you just want to take a quick shot and not have to worry about ISO settings, etc, etc.

The shutter itself feels much better than a point and shoot, and the focus time, and the downtime between shots is also WAY lower than the run of the mill point and shoot.

A feature I haven't seen as flexible in point in shoot is the timer shots. You can set it to take anywhere from 1-10 pictures with 1 timer. This is great for big family photos where you prop the camera up on a tripod and just want to do 10 photos in a row - and hopefully everyone will have their eyes open in one of those 10 photos (especially hard with little kids).

CONS:
The software/hardware feels sort of undated. Canon has stuck with this same layout for a long time for continuity, but new point and shoots have a much more streamlined interface. For example, the wheel on the top (where you switch between modes), does not allow for 360 degree rotation, only like 300 degrees rotation. This means, for example, if you were in Video Capture mode and wanted to go to Macro Mode, you have to spin the wheel 300 degrees instead of just 60 degrees.

The software is one that takes getting used to. They use a "tab" system to tell you which settings you are messing with in the Menu. The tab system may be familiar to long time Canon users, but the way the tabs are labeled sometimes make it confusing. Instead of using words, they use symbols, which I feel do not match well. For example, there are "tabs" with a Wrench icon. Unless I memorize which setting is where, there is a hard time remember exactly what settings are changed in the "wrench" tab.

The battery must be charged separately from the device. I don't know if this is a standard for DSLR, but I liked how I could just plug in my camera itself and charge it on point and shoots.

Overall:
There is no arguing the picture quality, it is basically the same as the T2i, and professional reviews all across the internet rate this as the top entry-level DSLR. It has settings for a beginner like me, and it has settings for advanced users as well.

For those wondering between T2i and T3i, the main difference is a spin-out LCD screen, and digital zoom during video. These differences are small, and I know I was confused when I first researched this DSLR. The T2i and T3i are much more similar than the T3 vs T3i.

T2i or T3i - Get either, T3/T2 are a lower-end model, they are made for two different budget targets.
on November 24, 2014
I enjoy this camera. I got this after having 2 different Nikons, mainly because I had heard for so long that Canon's are the 'grown up' version of DSLRs, and Nikons are more 'beginner' model. Maybe I wasn't ready for the transition, or maybe I heard wrong, but I think Canon's are a lot more confusing.

It took me a long time to understand all the controls, but even having all of those understood, I feel like the controls are not as responsive. (maybe too responsive?) When I mess with the White balance, even small adjustments seem to just throw it completely off, and yet when I adjust back, it's fine... as if it needed a refreshing like a web browser or something. It makes me think it's user error, which is part of the reason I can't fault Canon too much for that, but I do think that if they are trying to make this DSLR a wider audience friendly camera, the user friendliness should be taken seriously. To me, I feel like I'm dealing with a pro level camera at times, and that isn't what I do. Considering this camera costs under 900, that's no where near pro level costs, and shouldn't come with the mind muddling pros deal with.

If you're just stepping up from a point-and-shoot camera, I would be really hesitant about choosing this as your next step unless you have a friend with one, or a class you can take. This camera is not something you can power up and start taking the kinds of magical pictures you see on pinterest with. It takes time to learn, and hone your skill with. If you give this as a gift, make sure the recipient is wanting THIS camera, and knows what they're getting in to, to ensure it doesn't end up on a shelf unused.

There are other Canon cameras a step below, as well as other brands that are not quite as complicated but take great pictures for hobbyists. I would really suggest this for people going in to photo/media studies, or photo business.
on October 5, 2014
The headline really sells and tells anyone questioning whether they should buy this camera as their first entry level DSLR. Or even their second or third DSLR if they want fabulous photos and videos with the ease of a top of the line point and shoot camera. Yes, you can be creative and mess with settings once you know how to use them, but this camera will give you great pics everytime, indoor and outdoors, on automatic pilot. Since the majority of close to 1600 reviewers (at this writing) have already disected this model for you and sung its praises, let me tell you a few things the others may have missed and what may save you some time and money zeroing in on the best bang for your buck. I've owned the now discontinued model before this, the Canon T3, for 3 years now and could not be more happy with it. I paid $399 for it at the time and today they sell for around $349 if you can find one new. Because I love cameras and 3 years can be a lifetime when it comes to electronics, I thought I would upgrade so I did a side by side comparison of the newer Canon T3i and the very highly rated Nikon D3300, now priced similar at around $550 on Amazon. The Nikon D3300 was a bit lighter and smaller, but I felt the build quality was significantly less than Canon's. Also that new retractable Nikon zoom lens was a nuisance to me as you had to remember to extend it or leave it extended to be ready for the next shot. In the extended mode, the lens seemed too long or top heavy to me compared to the Canon T3i and the zoom was not as smooth as the Canon's. I took numerous identical shots with both cameras as well as videos,and I personally liked the consistently brighter, color saturation of the Canon T3i over the Nikon D3300. Every Nikon shot was much darker using out of the box settings which is not my personal preference. I'm sure this could easily be tweaked and adjusted by a pro or reading the manual, but the people buying this level camera are usually not interested in fine tuning a complicated piece of equipment such as this. When it came to videos, picture and sound quality were fairly equal for both cameras, but only the Canon T3i has an articulating screen for grabbing those up high and down low and weird position shots for pics and video, a nice feature to have for sure. Incidentally, the Canon is 18 mp and the Nikon 24 mp but this really doesn't mean much to auto snapshooters if you're only going to view and exchange pics mostly on the computer or never enlarge a pic bigger than 16" x 20". I have often enlarged my the pics from my Canon T3 without a problem, and it's only 12 megapixels. So which camera did I choose to keep? Neither for now. If my Canon T3 was having problems, which it is not and never has, I would have definitely gone with the Canon T3i and enjoyed the articulating screen and a few more megapixels. However, it's heavier and bulkier than my T3 and more importantly, since I shoot a lot of video clips of the grandkids, the sound pick-up and quality of the T3i was noticeably not as loud or clear as my current T3. Don't know if this was a flaw of the one I got, but I assumed they all pick-up like that. That's the main reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5. They need to fix that sound issue. So I could not justify putting out $550 for the upgrade when I like my still-going-strong T3 better. The new $500 Canon T5 is the new bottom of the consumer confusing Canon EOS Rebel line, but if you have your eyes set on that model, in my opinion, buy the T3i for $50 more and pick up the articulating screen for you videos. I really wanted to love that new Nikon D3300 which is the proclaimed entry level DSLR winner by many magazine reviews, but it just didn't impress me compared to the Canon.
on November 24, 2014
I bought this to upgrade from an older digital Rebel without video capability. I received this camera with a stain or smudge on the sensor that created blurry spots on photos. As it was on the sensor itself it wouldn't show up on screen during a preview or through the viewfinder, and it was small enough to be hard to spot when viewing photos on the camera, but when viewed on a larger screen the spot was very noticeable. I didn't want to risk damaging the sensor by trying to clean it, so I returned it for an exchange. The second one had no problems and performs very well.
on March 27, 2014
I wish I had taken the plunge earlier. I bought a supposedly very good point-and-shoot camera from Canon (ELPH 310HS) two years ago and thought that would solve the shutter speed issue when taking my children's pictures. But it did not. Finally I had enough of that sluggish and decided to take a look of this DSLR.

Some of the reviews really make me pause, especially those suggested that if you only want to use Auto feature of this DSLR, you better buy a high-end point-and-shoot camera instead. To be honest, I don't plan to use features other than Auto. But my current point-and-shoot camera falls short of my expectation and I don't want to try a new point-and-shoot, which may be only marginally better. So I finally took the chance. I must tell you the experience so far is liberating. I could take pictures whenever I want without that dreadful delay, which ruined so many precious moments. Now I could concentrate my mind on taking beautiful pictures instead of pressing that shutter button frenetically. The only thing I don't like is the weight of this camera. However, I am more than willing to sacrifice a little weight for beautiful pictures.

Since I hate to switch lens all the time, I bought the 18-135 one instead of 18-55. So far it meets all my shooting requirements. I have since taken so many beautiful pictures which I don't think it is possible with my point and shoot. The one thing I still look for is a good all-purpose camera bag. After reading through a lot of reviews, Lowepro Passport Sling seems a good fit - easy to use and comfortable with enough storage for both camera and personal items. Will take a look in the store this weekend. My conclusion is this is a great camera for taking children's pictures.